• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also how much is Crabtree really worth at this point he's had one good season a couple of average seasons, an injury plagued one, plus a hold out shortened season. How much is that really worth on the open market?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Open market he would 8-9 million. 49ers should offer him 6-7 million. Truth is he is important to this offense. There is do denying it. Offense looks a lot better with him in it.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Boldin is a Free Agent I believe, I would love to resign him at the right price but maybe I'm alone in that thinking.

Nope. Quite a few here want Boldin back. Myself included. I just want a deep threat to go along with him.

I agree on Crabtree too. But as far as how much money he'll get I'd have to think he'll get more than Santonio Holmes got. He'll get big money IMO; I just hope it's not with the Niners.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say replacing Crabtree won't be impossible but they'll have to draft him high.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crabtree to Dallas?

Wouldn't surprise me. He & Dez would be pretty lethal. But then again, I don't know what their cap situation will look like after the 2014 season.

I recently posted in the Ted Ginn thread that I would like Ted back on the Niners, but I just realized Jacoby Jones will be a FA too. There are quite a few good return guys in FA this offseason. And KR should be considered a huge need IMO.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Hakeem Nicks in the offseason: yea or nea?

Nicks' stock will never be lower unless injuries ruin his career (have they already???). But the lack of WR talent in this FA class could push the offer(s) he gets higher.

I'm of the persuasion that Michael Crabtree is a must-walk after the 2014 season. The Niners simply need to let him walk in order to afford to keep Kap, Iupati & Aldon. And I want 'em to be able to re-sign guys like Dorsey & maybe spend some money at the KR position. They're going to need to go cheaper at WR; something like 11 million is devoted to 2 WRs this season. So Nicks could be a good long-term investment. However, he could also be the next Sidney Rice (only a lot cheaper).

Based on his current year, nea.... hell to the nea.... He really dropped off IMO however, if this means an discounted/cheap deal... I'll listen. But his injuries are a bit alarming IMO.

But would he really improve this offense, currently? If we don't have a Boldin, ok i get it, but what we really need is that true deep threat and he doesn't necessarily need to be a big name...

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want any part of Nicks, the guy isn't ever going to be what people expected him to be.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't want any part of Nicks, the guy isn't ever going to be what people expected him to be.

It isn't necessarily about what people expected him to be. It's about how productive he can be for the amount of money he's going to get. His injury problems may push his salary lower than Mario Mannigham's salaries w/ the Niners. And despite the fact that he's had a terrible season by his own standards, he's still been MUCH better than anyone on the Niners not named Crabtree or Boldin (I think Crabby's played at a higher level than Nicks even in his limited time back).

That said I would probably stay away from Nicks too. Guys with injury problems might be looking for one last payday and then might mail it in.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
People think it won't be hard to replace crabs. That's not even close to being true. He has amazing hands and YAC ability. Look what he does for Kaep's play when he is in. We need crabs. If it was easy to have WRs as good as him, we would not have had such a hard time drafting WRs.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People think it won't be hard to replace crabs. That's not even close to being true. He has amazing hands and YAC ability. Look what he does for Kaep's play when he is in. We need crabs. If it was easy to have WRs as good as him, we would not have had such a hard time drafting WRs.

BAM... you tell them!!!

:suds:

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's hard for me to fathom the thought process that we would be ok without Crabs given how putrid our offense was earlier this season without him. It's not like we are GB and have a track record of drafting quality WRs that fit our system. Crabs fits what we do and is the kind of player that you would WANT to sign long term. He has been relatively healthy minus the achilles, wildly productive even coming back from the achilles, and is what, 25 yrs old?

Also, I doubt that Dallas signs him unless he is willing to take a MAJOR pay cut. I heard on ESPN about a month ago that Dallas is over 30 mil over the cap for next year and they have their own WR that they will be trying to sign long term in Dez.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
there are opinions on football ability, and opinions on that ability PLUS cap. so if we isolate Crabs football ability, most will agree he can play and more importantly, help this TEAM.

but now add in the bigger cap picture? then you have differing opinions on whether his football ability and cost brings value? we can only wait and see what his contract demands will be?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's hard for me to fathom the thought process that we would be ok without Crabs given how putrid our offense was earlier this season without him. It's not like we are GB and have a track record of drafting quality WRs that fit our system. Crabs fits what we do and is the kind of player that you would WANT to sign long term. He has been relatively healthy minus the achilles, wildly productive even coming back from the achilles, and is what, 25 yrs old?

Also, I doubt that Dallas signs him unless he is willing to take a MAJOR pay cut. I heard on ESPN about a month ago that Dallas is over 30 mil over the cap for next year and they have their own WR that they will be trying to sign long term in Dez.

Yea they are way way way over the cap. My brother was dropped several times on purpose as a child and because of that he is a cowboys fan. He is so upset about being that far over the cap. Being a .500 team with all that spending is embarrassing.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea they are way way way over the cap. My brother was dropped several times on purpose as a child and because of that he is a cowboys fan. He is so upset about being that far over the cap. Being a .500 team with all that spending is embarrassing.

They do have guys that are making some coin that are as good as gone like Miles Austin. But seriously, unless Crabs wants to take the vet minimum to play in Dallas, I don't see that happening.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are opinions on football ability, and opinions on that ability PLUS cap. so if we isolate Crabs football ability, most will agree he can play and more importantly, help this TEAM.

but now add in the bigger cap picture? then you have differing opinions on whether his football ability and cost brings value? we can only wait and see what his contract demands will be?

So what are you trying to say? This whole post was simply to say "let's wait and see?"

How do YOU value Crabs, deep?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So what are you trying to say? This whole post was simply to say "let's wait and see?"

How do YOU value Crabs, deep?

no, the post was to say there is a difference between how good he plays, and what he costs. if I don't offer Crabs a BIG contract, doesn't mean he doesn't play football.

I value Crabs less than other top NFL WR's, since i don't have specific numbers i'll just say a "tier 2" contract at most. BUT, if we can't fit Kaep and Aldon, I'd lower my offer to "tier 3". "fit" meaning projecting ahead too, cause you can't just look at the cap for one season.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, the post was to say there is a difference between how good he plays, and what he costs. if I don't offer Crabs a BIG contract, doesn't mean he doesn't play football.

I value Crabs less than other top NFL WR's, since i don't have specific numbers i'll just say a "tier 2" contract at most. BUT, if we can't fit Kaep and Aldon, I'd lower my offer to "tier 3". "fit" meaning projecting ahead too, cause you can't just look at the cap for one season.

So if I am understanding you, you place Kap already in Tier 1 before he has had a Tier 1 type season, yet Crabs is put at tier 2-3? What would you be willing to pay Crabtree on a 4 yr deal?

Chamoanlad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will help some is most of our guys that are up for new contracts have not had the best years or have injuries etc like Crab, Iupati, Aldon, and Kap. That will allow us to get them back without breaking the bank too bad.

We've seen the past few years how difficult it is to develop even a a #2 WR. If we lose Crab and Boldin our offense has zero capability. We have to find a way to keep one at a minimum if not both. Though I don't see how unless guys are willing to take quite a bit below market value.

I saw on one of the cap sites that we'll be about 9.7 mill under next year. We'll have to cut Rogers and I believe that will save about 5.1 mill. Dahl and Baldwin could also be cut to save 1.4 each. That'd take us to about 17.6 mill. That would get you Iupati and Aldon back for sure with maybe enough money to get Anquan Boldin back if they could get guys to accept a little less like the other guys who have resigned. With a few restructures (converting base to bonus money) you could do more.

Depending on what Kap's number is going to be like you could push his big money to begin in 2015 when Gore's contract is off the books.

Unfortunately, with Kap probably going to be in the range of 10-15 mill, I don't see how you can resign Whitner or have Boldin and Crab after the 2014 season. If you can keep Kap at 10 for 3 years and other guys coming off the books you might be able to keep Crab, but alot will depend on the Kap contract.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What will help some is most of our guys that are up for new contracts have not had the best years or have injuries etc like Crab, Iupati, Aldon, and Kap. That will allow us to get them back without breaking the bank too bad.

We've seen the past few years how difficult it is to develop even a a #2 WR. If we lose Crab and Boldin our offense has zero capability. We have to find a way to keep one at a minimum if not both. Though I don't see how unless guys are willing to take quite a bit below market value.

I saw on one of the cap sites that we'll be about 9.7 mill under next year. We'll have to cut Rogers and I believe that will save about 5.1 mill. Dahl and Baldwin could also be cut to save 1.4 each. That'd take us to about 17.6 mill. That would get you Iupati and Aldon back for sure with maybe enough money to get Anquan Boldin back if they could get guys to accept a little less like the other guys who have resigned. With a few restructures (converting base to bonus money) you could do more.

Depending on what Kap's number is going to be like you could push his big money to begin in 2015 when Gore's contract is off the books.

Unfortunately, with Kap probably going to be in the range of 10-15 mill, I don't see how you can resign Whitner or have Boldin and Crab after the 2014 season. If you can keep Kap at 10 for 3 years and other guys coming off the books you might be able to keep Crab, but alot will depend on the Kap contract.

NinerCapHell shows the Niners having 49 players under contract for 2014 and estimates the team will be $7,056,308 under the cap.

Carlos Rogers and Ahmad Brooks seem to be the glaring salaries, but many people on the board already know that. Thing is, this year Brooks has been playing up to the level that a contract like that dictates, which makes deciding whether or not to cut ties with him a good problem to have. In the end I think Baalke's gonna be parched and want some Lemonade to go with his starting LB corps(re: cut Brooks), but even if SF gets rid of Rogers & Brooks that won't leave a whole lot of room.