• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aldon and Kaep can't be resigned before the season due to the new rules.

Also Brooks contract is reasonable, even cheap if he keeps improving. Plus we need a rotation at OLB.

As Sick said, why not resign Davis? He's a face of our franchise and a great role model for young players. I don't think he's going anywhere personally.

RayMac is dependable and on a reasonable contract too. If JSmith retires soon why would we want more turnover on the DL?

We have a lot of soon to be FA's, from big names to ST players. The draft will need to replace a lot of these guys, but I'd rather keep the guys we know can produce.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I rememberd that Jarius Byrd is playing on a franchise tag, and it would probably be obscenely expensive for the Bills to tag him again. I would LOVE to bring in the Byrdie in lieu of the other ex-Bill who's starting for the Niners (Whitner). He's a former Duck who's a ball-Hawk (puns intended).

I'd be very hesitant to sign Hakeem Nicks like Bingo said if Crabby bolts. I wouldn't want to give a long-term contract to a guy who's never played 16 games in a regular season.

I hope a good WR or CB hits the trading block this season.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sebastian Janikowski would be a nice prize if the Raiders were dumb enough to let him hit URFA.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

NY Giants receivers, contract wise, are treated like a dime a dozen. They bring them in for their rookie contracts, and then let them walk for the next crop of rookies the next year (Steve Smith, Manningham, Barden, etc.) They treat the TEs that way too (Shockey, Bennett, Boss, Ballard, etc.)

The only guy who might break this trend is Cruz.

Their approach is Eli makes the WRs, and WRs can be replaced by the next cheap rookie.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
NY Giants receivers, contract wise, are treated like a dime a dozen. They bring them in for their rookie contracts, and then let them walk for the next crop of rookies the next year (Steve Smith, Manningham, Barden, etc.) They treat the TEs that way too (Shockey, Bennett, Boss, Ballard, etc.)

The only guy who might break this trend is Cruz.

Their approach is Eli makes the WRs, and WRs can be replaced by the next cheap rookie.

obviously, we're hoping the same for Kaep, that he'll 'make' the receivers more than they'll make him. odds are good Kaep will.

it isn't easy to continually replace WR's with rookie WR's.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
What would you guys think of signing Malcom Jenkins to play FS in the offseason? He has the same problem as Hakeem Nicks in that he's never played a full season (although he's only missed 4 games in 3 the last 3 years), but that could push his value way down. So could the fact that the Saints have an attrocious defense.

Jenkins will be 26, and he won't get a huge contract. I don't think he'll ever be an all-pro', but he could be a good value signing. He's not a guy for whom I'd get into a bidding war, but I'd keep him in mind.

Granted: I have no idea who's going to be available by next offseason.

Another random safety name: Nate Allen.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Does Mike Williams seem like a guy who would fit well into the 49ers' offense? He seems like the kind of player into whom the Niners are hoping AJ Jenkins develops.

Williams is kind of like poor man's Mike Wallace IMO. He'd be able to fill that role as a deep threat the Niners desperately need (if Jenkins doesn't surprise everyone), but I'd hesitate to give a bunch of money to a guy who isn't that great of a blocker & is limited in the red zone.

The problem is that the WR class (outside of Lee & Watkins) in the draft and the WRs in FA is slim pickens. And Lee & Watkins should be LONG gone before 32; if Tavon Austin went 8th overall, I don't see how these guys make It out of the top 10.

Maybe Seattle will cut Sidney Rice...

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Speaking of FA WRs, I hope DHB doesn't get a long-term deal in Indy. I was upset the Niners didn't sign him, and I think he'd be a great fit for the Niners long-term. He's a guy I hope would be on the Niners' radar in the offseason.

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What would you guys think of signing Malcom Jenkins to play FS in the offseason? He has the same problem as Hakeem Nicks in that he's never played a full season (although he's only missed 4 games in 3 the last 3 years), but that could push his value way down. So could the fact that the Saints have an attrocious defense.

Jenkins will be 26, and he won't get a huge contract. I don't think he'll ever be an all-pro', but he could be a good value signing. He's not a guy for whom I'd get into a bidding war, but I'd keep him in mind.

Granted: I have no idea who's going to be available by next offseason.

Another random safety name: Nate Allen.

I would love to get Malcom Jenkins. I still think he has a tone of potential and would be a value signing. He's just the kind of value that Baalke looks for. Of course, if other teams get into a bidding war for him I'm not sure how much I would be willing to send his way.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin, Rogers and Whitner will be gone after this year. So 49ers pick up Byrd as a FA next year.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Boldin, Rogers and Whitner will be gone after this year. So 49ers pick up Byrd as a FA next year.

We didn't bother keeping Goldson, I don't see us spending big for Byrd. Particularly with extensions due for Kaep, Aldon and possibly Iupati and Crabtree.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
We didn't bother keeping Goldson, I don't see us spending big for Byrd. Particularly with extensions due for Kaep, Aldon and possibly Iupati and Crabtree.

If I had to guess I'd say that's probably right.

But having both Byrd & Malcolm Jenkins out there when you need a safety would be nice.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our coin should be spent on keeping the crew.

THIS!!!!

Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, Crabtree and Boone. In that order should be extended. We compliment that with another strong draft and we are sitting pretty for years to come.

Kaep, Aldon and Iupati should be expensive. Crabtree should come at a reasonable price or a heavy incentive contact due to his injury. Boone on the other hand is only going to get better, we need to sign him for cheap right now like we did with Staley and Anthony Davis.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We could have about 18 million come off the books with Boldin, Rogers and Whitner gone. To me Crabtree, Aldon and Iupati all worth about 6 million a year. So that would be about an even split. Now Kaepernick's contract matters how far he takes us in the playoffs and if he wins the SB. Im guessing he will get like 6 years 100 million at least.