• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is worth roughly 5 years 50 million. VJax was paid less than he should have been, partially due to his age and partially due to some of the character issues. He definitely should be paid more than Harvin or Wallace due to having done more than them as a receiver. I think 10 mil a year is pretty reasonable for Crabs.

That is BS.

He singed a 5 year, 55.5 Million dollar deal. 26 Million guaranteed(5.2 Mil each year, if broken down).

Name 4 WRs that make more? Yet he was paid less? Makes no Sense. Unless you are saying Jackson is the 2nd best WR by far....

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder how motivated Crabs will be to sign an extension next off season. He probably won't get top dollar from us and his guarantees could be low. I would expect us to offer lots of incentives/roster bonuses etc...

Does anyone expect us to try to retain any of our FA WR's this year? Boldin, Manningham, or KW?

Here is a list of 2014 FA's at WR, I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys in San Fran next year. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Miles Austin released by Dallas as they are $20+ million over the cap next year as it is.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I wouldn't mind seeing a few of those guys in San Fran next year. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see Miles Austin released by Dallas as they are $20+ million over the cap next year as it is.

Dallas is 20+ over the cap??? Hmmmmm...

If they have a really bad start of the season, I wonder if they'd be willing to deal Dez for a pretty penny...

Sorry! I can't help myself.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think most people would agree that CB and WR are 2 of the biggest team needs going into next offseason. But which need is greater?

If the Niners could just break into another training camp and steal another player like he were plunder, would you rather them steal a CB like Patrick Peterson who could do things most DBs can't or would you rather them steal a legit' #1 WR like AJ Green who's gonna rack up 1000-yard season like they're Matt Ryan playoff losses?

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most people would agree that CB and WR are 2 of the biggest team needs going into next offseason. But which need is greater?

If the Niners could just break into another training camp and steal another player like he were plunder, would you rather them steal a CB like Patrick Peterson who could do things most DBs can't or would you rather them steal a legit' #1 WR like AJ Green who's gonna rack up 1000-yard season like they're Matt Ryan playoff losses?

I would lean towards WR. With our pass rush, we could get by with "pretty good" corners. Add in the rule/genre changes with the game and I think legit #1 WR would be my choice.

But keep in mind, I'm in full fantasy football mode and may not be thinking clearly.

Suhsyourdaddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We are in a great position, loaded with young talent, and loads of draft picks next year. With these being the only "major" concerns for the future, there is no reason that we can't address them both early next year in the draft. I don't know that we will be very active in FA, but we might take a swing at some trades next year. We may not have an AJ Green type guy, but if we do decide to invest in Crabs, I feel pretty good about our WR core for the future. One of these young guys is bound to step up early this year. But if I had the choice, I'd take the dynamic player like PP anyday of the week. Was pissed when AZ took him right before us. Aldon turned out alright though :)

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I don't know that we will be very active in FA, but we might take a swing at some trades next year.

Trades would be nice. I don't expect any huge splashes in FA either; the question just has more to do with what you would want more.

The guy I have in mind is Bradley Roby from Ohio St (he'd take a monumental trade up IMO). He's the closest thing we're going to see to Patrick Peterson in while IMO. There isn't anything close to an AJ Green in the draft IMO.

CB & WR are both pretty thin in FA next offseason. I really want the Niners to sign DHB unless Baldwin shocks us all & becomes a 1000-yard WR.

At this point, if I could decide between the two I'd take the CB over the WR. Even though the Niners could get away with having decent CBs with their scary-good front 7, a great CB would make it more likely teams have to force the ball into coverage and throw some picks. An AJ-Green-like WR would make the Niners' offense practically impossible to stop, but it might be that way this season anyway.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Trades would be nice. I don't expect any huge splashes in FA either; the question just has more to do with what you would want more.

The guy I have in mind is Bradley Roby from Ohio St (he'd take a monumental trade up IMO). He's the closest thing we're going to see to Patrick Peterson in while IMO.

No way Sick! I don't even think Roby is the best corner in this upcoming class.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
No way Sick! I don't even think Roby is the best corner in this upcoming class.

Who's your top guy? Purifoy?

We'll see. I just don't see the kind of combination of Roby's speed and ability to hit very often. I hope he doesn't impress me as much as I think he will because I want his stock to fall.

Purifoy is still a mystery to me so far because he's been on a great defense with a great front 7 & I don't want to mistake his pure ability with the Gators' pass-rush, but I'll be keeping a close eye on him this season.

I know you posted an article saying Marcus Roberson might be the better CB, but I'm very skeptical of that. I think some people assume that because he was more highly recruited.

I like the dude from TCU too (forget his name).

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Where did that come from Bingo? You've been eyeng Griffen?

Bingo & I have been on the Griffen bandwagon since his USC days. I didn't realize he was a FA after this year. I would expect him to get a lot of attention, so he might get priced out of the Niners' plans. I'd love to have him on the team though.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On January 28, 2011, Griffen was arrested in Los Angeles for public intoxication. Three days later, he was arrested again after he was found driving with an invalid drivers license. He then tried to flee on foot only to be tasered after allegedly grabbing an officer in the crotch area.[10] On October 11, 2012, Griffen was given an indefinite leave from the team after his mother died

From Wikipedia. Assuming his mother was terminally ill when he was acting out and then the Vikings giving him time off because he wasn't coping well after she succumbed... I'm not sure he is worth it. I'm sure he had the talent you guys liked, but I'm not sure his mind and heart is there anymore with the death of his mom.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think SS is probably #3 on the needs list.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So Hakeem Nicks in the offseason: yea or nea?

Nicks' stock will never be lower unless injuries ruin his career (have they already???). But the lack of WR talent in this FA class could push the offer(s) he gets higher.

I'm of the persuasion that Michael Crabtree is a must-walk after the 2014 season. The Niners simply need to let him walk in order to afford to keep Kap, Iupati & Aldon. And I want 'em to be able to re-sign guys like Dorsey & maybe spend some money at the KR position. They're going to need to go cheaper at WR; something like 11 million is devoted to 2 WRs this season. So Nicks could be a good long-term investment. However, he could also be the next Sidney Rice (only a lot cheaper).

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
One guy I'm hoping the Niners consider this offseason is Everson Griffen. I expect Tank to win the job as the first guy off the bench at DE, but Griffen could give him some good competition. Like Seattle proved this year & the Giants in years past: you can NEVER have too many pass rushers.

Griffen didn't have a good season, so he probably wouldn't cost too much. I like Arthur Jones too, but he's going to get a decent-sized contract IMO (he should've been a Niners in the first place :().

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Hakeem Nicks in the offseason: yea or nea?

Nicks' stock will never be lower unless injuries ruin his career (have they already???). But the lack of WR talent in this FA class could push the offer(s) he gets higher.

I'm of the persuasion that Michael Crabtree is a must-walk after the 2014 season. The Niners simply need to let him walk in order to afford to keep Kap, Iupati & Aldon. And I want 'em to be able to re-sign guys like Dorsey & maybe spend some money at the KR position. They're going to need to go cheaper at WR; something like 11 million is devoted to 2 WRs this season. So Nicks could be a good long-term investment. However, he could also be the next Sidney Rice (only a lot cheaper).

Hell no. First off Nicks isn't going to be cheap. Some team will overpay. He'll get at least 5 mil a year. I would rather see the Niners roll the dice on a head case like Britt. He'll be cheap, won't affect this locker room with his BS and easily cut if he doesn't pan out.

The Niners are most likely going cheaper at WR next year since Manningham won't be resigned. Also, I'm hoping Boldin resigns for 4-5 mil a year and that will save another 1 or 2 million. Rolling with Crab, Boldin, Patton, high draft pick and developmental draft pick(who also can return kicks) for 2014 sounds good. If Crab has a break out season next year then he's the one I would rather resign then Iupati. I would rather have the great WR then a great G.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I have to disagree 100% on Britt. He's a lost cause. He will never be a good WR in the NFL. Any hope in him is wasted.

I agree 5 million is too much for Nicks. If he gets that much I say forget it.

The Niners should be able to go one more season w/ Boldin & Crabby IMO, but they still need to find a deep threat IMO. And the 2 best deep threats in CFB will be mid-to-high first-rounders IMO. And they need to start looking for replacement(s). But I don't want 'em to use a high draft pick on a WR this year.

poewelch84

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boldin is a Free Agent I believe, I would love to resign him at the right price but maybe I'm alone in that thinking.