• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
THIS!!!!

Kaep, Aldon, Iupati, Crabtree and Boone.

Boone is signed through 2015 by the way. They have him under contract 3 more seasons.

I don't think Crabtree is going to be a very good long-term investment. I say let him walk.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boone is signed through 2015 by the way. They have him under contract 3 more seasons.

I don't think Crabtree is going to be a very good long-term investment. I say let him walk.

I think letting Crabtree walk would be a bad idea unless Patton, AJ or someone showed they could be a true #1 WR. The year Crabs had he proves he is a true #1 finally and I think he would of been even better this year. He might be injury prone but I dont think we can let him go with no true #1.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah I forgot we had him for a couple more seasons so I guess it isn't a pressing need to extend Boone.

Why don't you think he'll be a very good long term investment? I completely disagree. Injury concerns aside, Crabtree simply moves the chains and makes plays. He is easily one of the most clutch receivers in the NFL. I do believe he is your classic possession receiver, but that is never a bad thing. The guy moves the chains and has great chemistry with our QB.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think letting Crabtree walk would be a bad idea unless Patton, AJ or someone showed they could be a true #1 WR. The year Crabs had he proves he is a true #1 finally and I think he would of been even better this year. He might be injury prone but I dont think we can let him go with no true #1.

I agree. Crabtree is a great asset for any QB to have. We can't even think about letting him walk at this point in time. I would give him good WR money but not top money. We had been looking for a #1 receiver since Owens left and I think it would be silly to let him walk the minute we finally get one. Crabtree will be great once we get a viable option opposite him that can stretch the field. Maybe AJ can develop into this guy? I dunno.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Injury concerns aside, Crabtree simply moves the chains and makes plays. He is easily one of the most clutch receivers in the NFL. I do believe he is your classic possession receiver, but that is never a bad thing. The guy moves the chains and has great chemistry with our QB.

That's just the problem. You can't set the injury concerns aside. Santonio Holmes moved the Chains for Roethlisberger too, but his contract is now an albatross around the Jets' necks. And he was healthier than Crabtree early into his career. And Crabs is going to get a bigger contract than Holmes got IMO. He has all of 2014 to earn it.

I don't have a problem with franchising him for 1 season (unless they need it for Aldon, Kaep or Iuapti), but that's about it. Crabtree is a #1 receiver, but he's not Demaryius Thomas or Roddy White or Brandon Marshall. He's not Vincent Jackson. In other words: he's not the kind of rare receiver you can't afford to lose. He's more like Mike Williams. And look how much money he got as the #2 guy. I don't think it's a good investment for 5 years.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think given his original holdout, the odds are high that Crabtree and the 49ers will be pretty far apart, especially since he's been dealing with injuries. Maybe he'll be so fired up to play with a quarterback like Kaepernick he'll feel differently, but I just have a sense he'll leave.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
My guess is that Crabtree is going to want more than what Vincent Jackson got. Maybe something close to Mike Wallace or Percy Harvin.

Gold Rush 86

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,413.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess is that Crabtree is going to want more than what Vincent Jackson got. Maybe something close to Mike Wallace or Percy Harvin.

I think Crabtree is better but I would give him about what Steve Johnson from the Bills got last season 5 years 36 million. Since Crabtree is a little better give him like 5 years 40 million.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf2:
That's just the problem. You can't set the injury concerns aside. Santonio Holmes moved the Chains for Roethlisberger too, but his contract is now an albatross around the Jets' necks. And he was healthier than Crabtree early into his career. And Crabs is going to get a bigger contract than Holmes got IMO. He has all of 2014 to earn it.

I don't have a problem with franchising him for 1 season (unless they need it for Aldon, Kaep or Iuapti), but that's about it. Crabtree is a #1 receiver, but he's not Demaryius Thomas or Roddy White or Brandon Marshall. He's not Vincent Jackson. In other words: he's not the kind of rare receiver you can't afford to lose. He's more like Mike Williams. And look how much money he got as the #2 guy. I don't think it's a good investment for 5 years.

I guess this is one where we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think Crabtree is a great asset to the offense and very valuable. I would love to work something out that is more long term.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
:wtf2:

I guess this is one where we are going to have to agree to disagree. I think Crabtree is a great asset to the offense and very valuable.

Yes, but how valuable? When talking trades & contract signings, you have to put a number to it.

Is he worth 5 years, 55 million like VJax got?

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, but how valuable? When talking trades & contract signings, you have to put a number to it.

Is he worth 5 years, 55 million like VJax got?

I think he is worth roughly 5 years 50 million. VJax was paid less than he should have been, partially due to his age and partially due to some of the character issues. He definitely should be paid more than Harvin or Wallace due to having done more than them as a receiver. I think 10 mil a year is pretty reasonable for Crabs.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think he is worth roughly 5 years 50 million. VJax was paid less than he should have been, partially due to his age and partially due to some of the character issues. He definitely should be paid more than Harvin or Wallace due to having done more than them as a receiver. I think 10 mil a year is pretty reasonable for Crabs.

If we get really stuck in negotiations with Crabs, I'd like to offer something shorter term (3 or 4 years) with a little more money (4 years/44) kind of thing, with the ability for us to get out relatively lightly if any of the young guys we have now, or add in the near future, show they can fill his shoes.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we get really stuck in negotiations with Crabs, I'd like to offer something shorter term (3 or 4 years) with a little more money (4 years/44) kind of thing, with the ability for us to get out relatively lightly if any of the young guys we have now, or add in the near future, show they can fill his shoes.

4 years would probably be ideal but this will be his second contract and he'll be looking for that big time pay day most likely, 5 or 6 years wouldn't be out of the question of what he would be looking for.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
4 years would probably be ideal but this will be his second contract and he'll be looking for that big time pay day most likely, 5 or 6 years wouldn't be out of the question of what he would be looking for.

This is why I was thinking he could go for a 3 year deal. He'd have a chance to sign another contract before he turned 30.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is why I was thinking he could go for a 3 year deal. He'd have a chance to sign another contract before he turned 30.

That is what I was thinking too. But then I realized that with his injury history and the uncertainty of NFL careers, that he might want to get as much as he can right now while he knows he can. At least that is what I would do.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I think he is worth roughly 5 years 50 million.

Then if I'm right about what Crabtree will want, you're in agreement with me that they should let him walk because I don't think he would sign that deal. Not with how pleased he is with himself.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
By the way, one thing about which I'm really happy is that there should be some really good return men in both FA and the draft next offseason. The Niners had a huge advantage in the return game when Ginn was on his game. Now the Niners have 2 return men whose hands give me heart attacks (Lamichael James and screw-you Kyle). Cox can return kicks too, but I would love to have a guy as good as Ginn used to be back there.

Trindon Holiday should be a FA. If I remember correctly so will Jacoby Jones. Those guys are burners.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
I know he's not a FA after this season, but I think the Niners should give Culliver a contract extension (Cox too) after he's back from the injury & starts running. Buy low.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Crabtree is better but I would give him about what Steve Johnson from the Bills got last season 5 years 36 million. Since Crabtree is a little better give him like 5 years 40 million.

Sounds about right to me. He showed that he is a true WR1 when healthy. His YAC was insane last year and he showed he had a connection with Kaep. The worry is his injuries and why I don't want to pay more than that.

I gave you a little shit about your love for him and his production to that point, but you were right in the end Bingo. Smith was holding him back.