• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

An early look at free agents 2014

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I believe Brooks has a deesculater in his contact where if he doesn't hit 12 sacks he loses 2.5 million of his base. Could be wrong

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 49ers might need to go after a running back. I think they are going to be sorry they passed on Eddie Lacy in the draft last year.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's obvious this new coaching regime know what the phuck they are doing!! There's a reason why you don't let this player hit the market. I compliment them for being very competent. Too bad for us though:

Everson Griffen - DL - Vikings

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune suggests free agent DE Everson Griffen as a franchise tag candidate for the Vikings.

It's hard to imagine because Griffen has never been an NFL starter and the defensive end tag ($12.6M) is the most expensive position among non-QBs, but this highlights Minnesota's need in the trenches. Kevin Williams and Jared Allen are both free agents, leaving Brian Robison as the team's lone accomplished end. Griffen needs to be a priority for GM Rick Spielman.
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Feb 19 - 8:14 PM

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If he hits the market, I would be highly upset if we don't make a real push in signing him. Seahawks loaded their roster last season during the offseason. I think we need to do the same. Let him rotate with Aldon and Brooks every other series to keep our everyone fresh entering the fourth quarter.

Everson Griffen - DL - Vikings

Vikings HC Mike Zimmer said the Vikings "have not talked about (franchise) tags at all" regarding free agent DE Everson Griffen.

The Minneapolis Star-Tribune speculated Griffen might be tagged by the DE needy Vikes, but that was always unlikely. The defensive end tag is the most expensive non-QB tag at $12.6 million -- a hefty price for a player that has never been an NFL starter. Minnesota is interested in resigning Griffen, but it may be to a short-term deal that allows Griffen to earn a bigger contract in two or three years. Griffen is our No. 6 free-agent defensive end.
Source: Marc Sessler on Twitter

Feb 22 - 9:14 AM

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free agent money needs to go to the secondary.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
But a big price to pay no?

We can use stats, "non-starter" label to justify our lowball offer. If we see that he's really on demand based on interest of other teams, then we should consider giving him some Michael Bennet money (similar to what Bennet received from the Hawks last year).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If the Vikings signs MJ, it means that they may allow Everson to test the market. Man would that make my summer a great one if we somehow landed Everson:

Michael Johnson - DL - Bengals

USA Today's Tom Pelissero passes along Combine "buzz" that free agent DE Michael Johnson could head to the Vikings.

The dots connect, as ex-Bengals DC Mike Zimmer is now the Vikings' head coach, and Minnesota is needy on the defensive line with Jared Allen a virtual lock to leave in free agency. Johnson just turned 27, and is a solid pass rusher with plus run-defending skills. Minnesota is $28.8 million under the cap.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Feb 22 - 3:01 PM

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now that the draft is looking a little more clear, are there any FAs who are on your wish list? There aren't many for me.

Red Bryant is one I like (unless the Niners plan on drafting 2 DL; I think there's really only room on the roster for 2 new guys at most).

I'd consider Sydney Rice if the Niners only plan on signing 1 WR.

I'd consider any CB (except Tarrell Brown). Which one do you like? I'm wary of Vontae Davis because he didn't play all that well before his contract year. Antonio Cromartie is tops on my list at this point. I'd also consider the other Cromartie (DRC).

I'd also consider Alex Mack if the Niners were willing to trade one of the starting linebackers to free up the room (Brooks or Bowman). That's unlikely, but it'd be the only way to afford it IMO.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Brent Grimes, DRC on a 2-3 year
DL Red Bryant, Kevin Williams 1 year deal
K Steven Hauschka 5 year deal

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got to go after CB and go cheaper at Safety. Bring in M. Wright instead of Whitner.