• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Am I missing something on Damien Williams?

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doing draft prep and I keep seeing him sorta low imo in projected rankings and mock drafts. Something like 4th and sometimes 5th round. He's a KC/Andy Reid RB. Their starter usually puts up great fantasy numbers, no? When he took over for Hunt, he delivered. He wasn't Hunt or an elite RB, but still very good. I know Hyde is there but everything I've seen so far says Williams will be the starter and some are speculating if Hyde will even make the team. I feel like he should be going higher (round 3 for sure). Like he should be high value RB2 with potential to be an RB1 if he is indeed the starter. He could finish the year as a top 10 RB. A player with that potential should be going higher than some of the other RBs and non-elite WRs that are being drafted ahead of him. So am I missing some news nugget on him?

Yellow Fuzzies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you Turkey. If he is available in the 3rd round I will consider him. definately a bargain in rounds 4 & 5.
I have seen no news to down grade him. It may just be lack of name recognition but in experienced leagues he will not be forgotten.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which site you looking at for rankings? They vary a lot with certain players

Here's Fantasy Football Calculator rankings. They do a decent job with rankings.

upload_2019-8-3_13-4-17.png

As you can see he's ranked as a mid way second round pick.

Fantasy Pros rankings:

upload_2019-8-3_13-6-55.png

Ranked near the end of the second. In a recent draft I did he went at 3.3.

Maybe your looking at the wrong sites for rankings?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fantsaty football nerd has him ranked at 22, so near the end of the second round.

upload_2019-8-3_13-17-35.png

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe your using Dynasty rankings? Because he ranked in the 6th round for dynasty. He seems like a candidate easily replaced by a hot shot rookie, given that Williams is already 27.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or your using ESPN rankings, hope not.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andy Reid sounded frustrated with starting running back Damien Williams, who has yet to practice with the Chiefs at training camp because of a sore hamstring. ‘’He’s missed quite a bit,’’ Reid said. “He’s missed a lot of plays. It’s been great for these other guys. (Carlos Hyde) has done a nice job. He’s got a lot of reps and he’s taking advantage of them.’’ The Chiefs worked to build some depth behind Williams, signing Hyde as a free agent and drafting Darwin Thompson in the sixth round. They also have Darrel Williams and Tremon Smith, who was recently moved from cornerback. But they’d prefer to have Williams, the most gifted and complete back they have,

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are a few of these small sample size guys every year and they tend to bust a lot.

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Theres multiple issues with Williams, and why I'd advise staying away. First and foremost is that the dude just ain't built to be THE guy. I've got him getting injured by week 4 or earlier, he's already missing a ton of practice.
Secondly, Carlos Hyde, while no elite RB by any means, is a solid NFL starter caliber back, and definitely a better option around the goaline/short yardage.
Third, Williams needed not only a Hunt exodus, but also an injury to Spencer friggin Ware, to get his shot. He couldn't beat Ware, in Miami, he couldn't beat Drake..he's just not that great.
Fourth, I honestly don't expect either of these two to be the guy come playoffs time, Hyde has his own injury history to consider. I don't know who it'll be, Darwin Thompson, maybe one of their UDFA's??

Will the Chiefs RB score plenty? Friggin ay right they will, but it'll be multiple names all year long. If I'm going RB in the second/third, I'd really prefer someone with a stringer hold on their role. Most of those dude in those rounds have to share the ball, but not many of them are in any real danger of losing thier role like I think Williams is.

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's definitely getting no respect in one of my money dynasty leagues. I was shopping him to owners with multiple late 2019 first round picks. Both owners said they were interested in him. But in the end my best offer was one 2019 second round pick. For that you just have to hold him.

Then I got this gem of a offer as a counter lol.

Give JuJu and my 2020 1st

Get - Foreman, 2019 1.7, 1.10 and 1.11

:crazy:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with Williams is that you might have to handcuff him with Hyde and Thompson imo. Williams playing all year is not something I'd bank on.

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm going RB in the second/third, I'd really prefer someone with a stringer hold on their role. Most of those dude in those rounds have to share the ball, but not many of them are in any real danger of losing thier role like I think Williams is.

Not sure I'd agree with this, but the more I looked, I'd take a top 3 TE there and pluck from the backend of that RB2/3 grouping going in rds 2-4

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure I'd agree with this, but the more I looked, I'd take a top 3 TE there and pluck from the backend of that RB2/3 grouping going in rds 2-4
Depending on my #1, and what's actually out there, I'd say that's a pretty good option..definitely preferable to Williams

SmokingMonkey

MLS....come to STL!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,521.41
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on my #1, and what's actually out there, I'd say that's a pretty good option..definitely preferable to Williams

Biggest thing that keeps me interested, KC RB hasn't been committee under Reid, has been ultra productive, and I just don't think that changes.

But agree completely on rd2 being very high risk. Round 5 in suicide league was the right amount of risk for me as my RB3. Only money league I have Damien in i made sure to secure Hyde.

TREFF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Biggest thing that keeps me interested, KC RB hasn't been committee under Reid, has been ultra productive, and I just don't think that changes.

But agree completely on rd2 being very high risk. Round 5 in suicide league was the right amount of risk for me as my RB3. Only money league I have Damien in i made sure to secure Hyde.
I could get behind anything rd4 or beyond, no bigger risk than any other RB you might find, and potential for easily the biggest upside. Its rd2, maybe 3, where I'm not betting that much.

leftypower

THE NFL HAS GONE TO HELL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agree - but even though I'm a firm believer in the Andy Reid system - in dynasty with fairly deep benches I made sure to double down and get Hyde as well as Thompson - no need to be hard-headed about it with a position that will be very productive no matter which one gets the ball.
As a standalone in seasonal drafts, I'd still jump all over him in the 3rd. .... unless something changes in preseason - the upside would be too great to ignore.