• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL Altuve HR or Fan-interference?

Should that have been called a HR or an out? And would the Astros have won if it was a HR?

• It was a HR and Astros would've won if it was called so.

• It was a HR, but Astros still would've lost.

• It was fan interference and should've been called an out.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not positive either way, but being there are hands on the field side of the wall and Mookies glove looks to be even with that hand, I think it's a strong argument the ball hadn't quite made it over.

I think the MLB will start having cameras directly over the wall to get a better view in the future.

Yeah, it's impossible to tell for sure. I was mainly objecting to the suggestion it should be fan interference regardless.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it's impossible to tell for sure. I was mainly objecting to the suggestion it should be fan interference regardless.
I don't agree with that. It's natural to reach for the ball. Maybe fan interference can just be called no play and the batter is still up.

dbldwn711

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is pretty clearly in the field of play to me. Button-downed Dad-Bod on the far right is holding the fence, leaning over slightly, reaching over slightly even more, and his hand is only two inches up the elbow of the orange-clad guy who is reaching out even farther to interfere:
Astros-fan-interference-debate-832x447.jpg

That’s the best angle and that’s the best analysis.

What does that mean? It was a close play. The call on the field was “interference”. Nothing from that angle (which is the best) is clear evidence to overturn the call on the field.

Call stands

ElTexan

Board Chancellor Emeritus
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still not clear enough for me... it appears the ball (if you drew a straight line down) would hit the yellow line... I can see the arms of everyone but the ball isn't clear enough for me to tell where it is... I get the reason to be upset, really do but I honestly can't tell one way or another... This time it worked for the Red Sox... Might not the next time
It should be clear enough. The picture and analysis are quite clear.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no question that the fan prevented Betts from making the catch and it is almost certain he was going to catch that ball.

This isn't relevant to the conversation pertaining to whether or not it was interference.

One of the difficulties of going over the wall and into the stands for a catch is that you often have to compete with fans for the ball. That doesn't make it interference.

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... Betts would have most likely made the catch (as proven in last nights catch) ... the fan(s) interfered ... I think the fans should not have precedence over a player anywhere within reach of the playing area ... and the fans shouldn’t be able to nullify a hit

so I don’t like the rule that calls it an out ... shoulda been a ruled double

... I think

realityball

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This isn't relevant to the conversation pertaining to whether or not it was interference.

One of the difficulties of going over the wall and into the stands for a catch is that you often have to compete with fans for the ball. That doesn't make it interference.

I don’t think fans should be held as competitors ...

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It should be clear enough. The picture and analysis are quite clear.

No, those pictures really aren't that clear though. No picture on here is 100% clear either way

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think fans should be held as competitors ...

What? They aren't. Not in any way, shape or form. They're viewed as spectators. They have a right to operate freely in their spectator area. That is not apart of the field of play. If you want to lean over a wall into that area... you're going into a non-play area to make a catch. You're going to have to deal with non-play obstacles.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want controversial calls, move all of the seats back 6' from the outfield wall. No one has 6' arms.
This eliminates all fan interference.

Most teams are starting to put up netting along the first and third base line to prevent fan injuries and those will pretty much eliminate interference alonfthe bvaselines.

As far as the 'interference call in Houston' goes, the fan actally pushed the glove of Betts and that is interferring with a player's ability to catch the ball. As far as a ball being over the fence being a home run, that's not 100% correct. How many times have we seen a player flip over a bull pen fence and hold on to a ball for an out? If a player has the space and is able to catch the ball it's not an automatic HR......

It would have made the score 8-7 instead of 8-6. The Astros hitting was bad for the entire series with the exception of game 4. And it wasn't enough in game 4.

Mike A. S.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don't want controversial calls, move all of the seats back 6' from the outfield wall. No one has 6' arms.
This eliminates all fan interference.

Most teams are starting to put up netting along the first and third base line to prevent fan injuries and those will pretty much eliminate interference alonfthe bvaselines.

As far as the 'interference call in Houston' goes, the fan actally pushed the glove of Betts and that is interferring with a player's ability to catch the ball. As far as a ball being over the fence being a home run, that's not 100% correct. How many times have we seen a player flip over a bull pen fence and hold on to a ball for an out? If a player has the space and is able to catch the ball it's not an automatic HR......

It would have made the score 8-7 instead of 8-6. The Astros hitting was bad for the entire series with the exception of game 4. And it wasn't enough in game 4.

There was a runner on base at the time, so it would've been 8-8, not 8-7. Plus it was the first inning, so there is so much that could've gone different afterward if it had been called a HR.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The umpire made the correct call, no doubt about it. And as a side note, Mookie Betts is the best baseball player in MLB, period.

If by "the correct call" you mean "fucking blew it big time"? Then yeah he made the right call. :L

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK, hear me out. My final feeling on this is being pretty sure Mookie would have caught that ball if no one bumped his glove. It would have been a spectacular play but you can see where the ball was headed, where his glove was he was going to make the play.

Was the ball in the stands? Maybe, a bit. The letter of the law says maybe a HR. But the spirit of it, the 'what would have happened if the great player was allowed to make a great play?' We all know it was a catch. I'm not a fan of either team, but the right outcome happened. This isn't a court of law, it's baseball, and stuff like that happens.

It wasn't the right call as the ball was clearly over the yellow line and therefore was a HR. But it's cool to be wrong once in a while...or something.

DefCONNOne

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not positive either way, but being there are hands on the field side of the wall and Mookies glove looks to be even with that hand, I think it's a strong argument the ball hadn't quite made it over.

I think the MLB will start having cameras directly over the wall to get a better view in the future.

I think Wednesday is a perfect time to implement that plan.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a clear cut fan interference...