• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All-Time Roster of Non-HOF Players

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. If you're putting together a team you want to win, it starts with this guy
groupEvent.jpg
Any idea how much he charged those guys for the photo?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit, I just done realized we couldn't agree on a single position. Are you doing this shit to spite me? All of yours are close but Dale Murphy, Keith Hernandez, and Bill Freehan? WTF
I only took guys you didn't. Thought maybe it'd spur on the conversation a little.

What's your problem with Freehan?

My 1-2 can't be topped with non HOFers.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops!!! just assumed any war time...
I just meant that WWII turned a good career into a great career. Sure, he got wins without the likes of Hank Greenberg. But he also didn't have to pitch against Ted Williams and others.

His run at the end of the war (and after) is really amazing.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just meant that WWII turned a good career into a great career. Sure, he got wins without the likes of Hank Greenberg. But he also didn't have to pitch against Ted Williams and others.

His run at the end of the war (and after) is really amazing.

I'm a little confused here. Isn't the WW2 detail baked right into the question he was answering?

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have read the OP first... players currently on the eligible list like larry walker, Tim raines, and Gary Sheffield are not eligible for this experiment...

I actually had Sheffield as my starting RF until I read OP...

Now I think it is any of these three{ Dwight Evans, Darryl Strawberry, or Rocky Colavito} Leaning towards Rocky...

Tom Henke-CL
John Franco(L)- set up
Lee smith(R)- set up
John Hiller- long relief(L)
Dan Quisenberry

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could go through Baseball Reference and find 600 guys who could be on this list.
Rather than go for names, I'd look at players who had .280-sh careers with about 1,948 hits over about an 18-year career. These guys show up, get on base, play well enough to make the lineup and are rarely on the DL.

Geez, why not Jason Kendall?

Sal Bando, Carlos Beltran, Brandon Phillips ... you could win as a team with those guys. Separated from the herd, they are in the Hall of Sorta Pretty Damned Good.

Or is this a separate topic?

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could go through Baseball Reference and find 600 guys who could be on this list.
Rather than go for names, I'd look at players who had .280-sh careers with about 1,948 hits over about an 18-year career. These guys show up, get on base, play well enough to make the lineup and are rarely on the DL.

Geez, why not Jason Kendall?

Sal Bando, Carlos Beltran, Brandon Phillips ... you could win as a team with those guys. Separated from the herd, they are in the Hall of Sorta Pretty Damned Good.

Or is this a separate topic?
Jason Kendall?

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All in all, Kendall had some pretty damned good numbers.

KENDALESE

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea how much he charged those guys for the photo?
I'm not sure exactly. There is a phone number you can call to get pricing on how much it costs to get the Hit King to show up at your corporate function. Whatever it was, it was worth it.

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he could run he was really something. No power, but a nice top of the order guy when he was young.

The rare leadoff catcher...
Speaking of leadoff catchers, Brian Downing was pretty solid. He couldn't run, but he could get on base (although I think they ended up using him a lot at left field and DH after a while)

Also, based on his career year by year stats and nickname "The Incredible Hulk" , one could speculate that some guys were ahead of the curve and jumped on the PED train in the early to mid 80's.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I only mention Kendall since he'd be one of the modern era players I'd like for an annual contending team.
Infielders like Bando, Concepcion, Biggio ... showed up every day for 15 years. How about Lee May at 1B? You could come up with 50 outfielders who could "do it all" ... such as Vlad Guerrero or Moises Alou.

And a pitching staff of guys like Don Gullett or Carpenter.

That may not be the essence of the thread and if it's not, then there's no need to continue with this train of thought,

(I consider the modern era to go back to about 1970, or right after the Expos-Padres expansion.)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When he could run he was really something. No power, but a nice top of the order guy when he was young.

Plus, he was an above average defender at a defensive premium position... He is on my Under-rated list, and is easily a top 20 catcher of all time...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only mention Kendall since he'd be one of the modern era players I'd like for an annual contending team.
Infielders like Bando, Concepcion, Biggio ... showed up every day for 15 years. How about Lee May at 1B? You could come up with 50 outfielders who could "do it all" ... such as Vlad Guerrero or Moises Alou.

And a pitching staff of guys like Don Gullett or Carpenter.

That may not be the essence of the thread and if it's not, then there's no need to continue with this train of thought,

(I consider the modern era to go back to about 1970, or right after the Expos-Padres expansion.)
Baseball talk is baseball talk as far as I'm concerned. (Early-mid 70's is sort of my cutoff. After the FA and DH additions.)