• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"What we can evaluate now is the process, and San Francisco’s was good. With the dust settling on the last two seasons, we know the full scope of the deal.

The 49ers dealt the No. 29 pick in 2022 and the No. 28 pick in 2023 to move up from No. 12 to No. 3 in the 2021 draft. They also included a 2022 compensatory third-round choice.

Given where they were in the 2021 offseason with Jimmy Garoppolo coming off another injury-filled year that caused the 49ers to miss the playoffs, San Francisco had to make a move for a QB. They could’ve stood pat and waited for a player to fall to them at No. 12, but they identified a player they thought could develop into an elite QB.

Not every pick is going to hit, but the position is important enough that a big investment to try and locate a franchise quarterback is sometimes necessary. It’s a risk, but it’s a risk that aims to clear the purgatory of having a QB who caps the offense’s ceiling.

Since the move up for Lance, the 49ers have gone to the NFC championship game twice. The 2023 draft will be the final one where they don’t hold a first-round pick from the big trade up. This was a team built to withstand a miss with this kind of move.

Lance could still pan out. He’s immensely talented, the 49ers’ roster is loaded, and they have arguably the best offensive coach in the league. Even if the pick doesn’t work out though, the 49ers’ move up in the draft was the right one."

I agree with Kyle Madsen regarding the PROCESS (ie thinking) of drafting Trey lance. QB is important enough to make that move because JG hit his ceiling and it was short of winning a SB. Granted, on the day it was announced I didn't like it but yeah, QB is too important to just HOPE you overcome it.

Today, not pushing for Lance to be the guy "just because", but agree he can still pan out. Everyone knew he'd need more time and he just hasn't gotten it yet. Its not his fault and its not his fault Purdy did something no one else (rookie 7th rounder) ever came close to doing.

We're all very happy with Purdy and we simply lucked out HUGE. Now, not looking at Lance now and thinking he's "wasted draft captial", should be traded, or won't be Purdy.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw a report that the Pats are "sniffing around" Deebo. Even if it's true, there is almost no way we can trade Deebo this offseason b/c of the cap hit we'd take from his new contract extension. The 49ers would eat a $28,443,000 dead cap charge if they traded Samuel this offseason with no cap relief.

https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/202...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Saw a report that the Pats are "sniffing around" Deebo. Even if it's true, there is almost no way we can trade Deebo this offseason b/c of the cap hit we'd take from his new contract extension. The 49ers would eat a $28,443,000 dead cap charge if they traded Samuel this offseason with no cap relief.

Yep, no way we take this dead cap hit this season. Plus, we could use him to make another serious SB push.

"sniff" is only that, a sniff.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"The 49ers now must add at least two quarterbacks to get them through the offseason and training camp. San Francisco usually carries at least three during this portion of the year.

Look for San Francisco to add a veteran quarterback during free agency along with another through the draft in."

Based on what we know now - delayed surgery for Purdy - more so i agree we'll add a vet and draft another QB.

Since there are no guarantees on Purdy's surgery, the Vet we add needs to be 'reasonably' capable of starting a few games. It will still be a "low end" Vet but who has played a few games before. In this light, even Josh Johnson can fill the role so that the cap impact is low.

We don't have to force a QB in the draft either, if no value then we add another 'camp arm'. We can only add a camp arm due to cap restraints, so even an inexperienced Vet at minimum cap hit will do.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"It sounds increasingly likely the 49ers should prepare for the 2023 season as if third-year quarterback Trey Lance will be the Week 1 starter. Of course, that was always a possibility. Lance suffered a season-ending ankle injury in September but is expected to be full-go for organized team activities (OTAs) in May."

There's no other choice.

Similar to last season, don't think it'll take long for Purdy to pick it up again. So meanwhile everyone on offense needs to think and practice for Lance's style.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
San Francisco 49ers coach Kyle Shanahan is leaving the door open for quarterback Trey Lance to regain his starting position back.

The 49ers have established that Brock Purdy is the clear front-runner for the role after he went 5-0 in the regular season as a rookie and helped lead the club to the NFC championship game. But Purdy’s unclear recovery timeline from an elbow injury in the conference title game against the Philadelphia Eagles has given Lance an opportunity to make a push for the No. 1 job this spring and summer.

Still, both Shanahan and 49ers general manager John Lynch have made it clear this week that Purdy has the edge over Purdy, who is also on the mend from a broken ankle suffered last September.

If Lance has this opportunity, then why didn't you say he'll get the "No. 1 reps" this off-season?! I can understand why they're saying Purdy is the starter this early in the season but you MUST give Lance every opportunity to succeed, even though its OTA, TC, and Pre-Season. Lance should be given the "Lion's share" of reps so he can show his progress.

It'll still be difficult for Lance to overtake Purdy because the offensive unit (and team) is behind Purdy, but the team needs to know how many steps forward did Lance take? This will make for a better decision later when they're deciding to keep him or trade him. I really don't think they'll trade Lance this season, but you just never know?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Niner WR Jalen Hurd signed with the Pats. We drafted him in the 3rd rd, but he never played in a single game due to injuries.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Niner Edge Charles Omenihu has been suspended for 6 games for violating the personal conduct policy.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
iam shocked more members of the 49er teams from the 80s under walsh have not been nominated for the hof.walsh had some great players,so did seffert.
Roger Craig should've gotten in and Bryant Young, but Young was really hard luck playing for bad 49er teams.

Yes, there were other good players but these two quickly came to mind.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Roger Craig should've gotten in and Bryant Young, but Young was really hard luck playing for bad 49er teams.

Yes, there were other good players but these two quickly came to mind.
craig was a great player.the 49ers would have lost games if not for him.hope dana stubblefield never gets into the hof.talk about overrated.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sam Darnold is named the #2 QB. That means Trey Lance is at #3. Reports say we're looking to trade him, but I can't imagine that there is much of a market.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another failure by our brain trust
Thank God for Purdy

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank God for Purdy
Yep. A massive failure like that usually ends up with the coaches and GMs fired. But that won't happen with Shanny and Lynch. Purdy definitely bailed out the FO.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. A massive failure like that usually ends up with the coaches and GMs fired. But that won't happen with Shanny and Lynch. Purdy definitely bailed out the FO.
I came here when the trade was made and was against it, hoping that it would work out. I think he can have a successful carrier though I would put that less than 40%......Trey Lance that is. :)

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thank God for Purdy
Yep, failure....huge failure. Then on top of that, Sam Darnold is the back-up, oh NOOOO!

For this season i'd rather "live and die" with Trey Lance as no. 2, than Darnold.

So if Purdy wasn't good, what would we have done at the beginning of this off-season? Wouldn't we have anticipated Trey Lance as our starter? We would still have signed Darnold but as the anticipated starter?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, failure....huge failure. Then on top of that, Sam Darnold is the back-up, oh NOOOO!

For this season i'd rather "live and die" with Trey Lance as no. 2, than Darnold.

So if Purdy wasn't good, what would we have done at the beginning of this off-season? Wouldn't we have anticipated Trey Lance as our starter? We would still have signed Darnold but as the anticipated starter?
I've read somewhere that Shanny was enamored with Darnold when he came out of college. That's why he got signed--along with his reservations about Lance and worries about Purdy's elbow.

And if Purdy wasn't good at the end of last season, I think we'd have still signed someone like Darnold to compete with Lance. The job would not have been handed to him like it was the year before. And if Lance couldn't beat out a journeyman like Darnold, that would've spoken volumes....would have....more like HAS spoken volumes.

At this point, I doubt we can get much of anything for Lance. Maybe a late round pick. That's sad. Just like with Jimmy, we waited too long to trade him. Moving him now is moving him at his lowest possible value.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hasn't Jones after a decent start in NE done poorly? If do perhaps a swap of QB's