• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

All things offseason

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's done Lance to Dullass for a 4th round pick. Would be funny if he gets enough work in the next couple of seasons and figures it out though that is unlikely but possible.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I've read somewhere that Shanny was enamored with Darnold when he came out of college. That's why he got signed--along with his reservations about Lance and worries about Purdy's elbow.

And if Purdy wasn't good at the end of last season, I think we'd have still signed someone like Darnold to compete with Lance. The job would not have been handed to him like it was the year before. And if Lance couldn't beat out a journeyman like Darnold, that would've spoken volumes....would have....more like HAS spoken volumes.

At this point, I doubt we can get much of anything for Lance. Maybe a late round pick. That's sad. Just like with Jimmy, we waited too long to trade him. Moving him now is moving him at his lowest possible value.
That's what Joe Banner said, Shanahan falls in and out of love with players. So even after a poor NFL career to date Shanahan STILL wanted Darnold?

From what i've been following during OTA and TC, seemed to me Lance was just as good as Darnold, if not better? I say "better" because Lance brought more threat over Darnold, and thats just the passing game. Seemed to me Lance had beaten out Darnold but ohh well..................

They had to trade Lance because of "locker room dynamics". I read a few years ago about this situation for QB's (not specifically on the 49ers), and there were a few compelling reasons why. Sorry can't recall what they were but basically the players follow one leader they trust. Clearly, they're all behind Purdy now.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's done Lance to Dullass for a 4th round pick. Would be funny if he gets enough work in the next couple of seasons and figures it out though that is unlikely but possible.
Don't think Dak Prescott's contract is expiring next season, so same issue with giving Lance playing time?

There is just TOO MUCH pressure for any rookie QB to become instant stars. Lance's lack of experience was simply too hard to overcome at the NFL level. IMO Lance did a good job with his learning curve in limited time, i expect he'll be GOOD if iven the chance.

Lance was hit with injuries and then of course Brock Purdy 'earned it'. Purdy's success is HUGE gravy for we 49er fans, but it shouldn't be used against Lance.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4th was more than I expected for him.

Honestly, I am pulling for Lance to succeed, but I don't see it happening. He lacks that quick-twitch mobility that other "mobile" Qbs have and he can't seem to consistently make the layup throws--the quick read hitch, the screen, the slant, the dump-off, etc. Greg Cosell said on the Herd that during the Denver game and the Raider game, Lance either wasn't seeing the open men he had or he wasn't trusting what he was seeing. Both were bad signs.

He needs game time, real playing time to get any better. He isn't going to get that in Dallas. And he sure wasn't going to get that in SF, not with Purdy's emergence.

It's sad to see how badly the FO botched the whole Lance thing from start to finish. The massive trade up, taking Lance over FIelds or Jones, not playing him when we could have been, and when he did play getting him injured through some rather ridiculous playcalling, and now we ship him out of town for a mid rounder glad to have gotten much of anything. Lynch and Shanny have a lot of egg on their face. I mean, if not for Purdy, this is the kind of debacle that gets coaches and GMs fired--b/c it shows a massive failure in evaluation, valuation, coaching, and playing time decisions.

STill, what are we going to do at QB now? Will we carry 2 Qbs or 3?

Last edited:

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep. A massive failure like that usually ends up with the coaches and GMs fired. But that won't happen with Shanny and Lynch. Purdy definitely bailed out the FO.
played real well until that game in philly,not another montanna or young but a good young qb with a bright future.imho

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
played real well until that game in philly,not another montanna or young but a good young qb with a bright future.imho
Yep. All he has to do is be better than Jimmy. And, as a 7th rd rookie, he has been--his regular season stats were great, particularly for a rookie. His 2 playoff games were better than Jimmy's average playoff game (and Jimmy had 6 games). He is more mobile than Jimmy and is more willing to throw outside the numbers than Jimmy was.

I'll grant that Purdy has a very talented team around him, but It's not like Purdy played against a bunch of cupcakes.
--Miami--playoff team. Phins were red hot, Tua an MVP candidate. Purdy has 2 TDs off the bench
--Tampa--playoff team. Brady and a top half defense. Purdy ended up with 3 TDs, a 134 passer rating, and a cracked rib
--Seattle--playoff team. Game was for the division title on a short week. Purdy had 2 TD passes and a 117 QB rating
--Washington--near playoff team. Top 10 defense. Purdy struggles in 1st half, but is near perfect in the 2nd, going 11 of 13 for 179, 2TDs
--Raiders--bad team. Purdy struggled imo, but still came out 22 of 35 for 284yds, 2 TDs, 1 INT
--Cards--bad team. Purdy played quite well. 15 of 20 for 178, 3 TDs
--Seattle--Wildcard round--Purdy is 18 of 30 for 332yds, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, and 4 carries for 16yds and a TD.
--Dallas--Division round--against Dallas's top 5 defense, Purdy only goes 19 of 29 for 214yds, but has no turnovers
--Philly--gets injured at the beginning of the game

He's not Montana or Young. Honestly, I think he looks like a better passing version of Jeff Garcia. The point is that The kid fits really well into this offense. It's more about timing and making the right reads than arm strength and raw athleticism. Sure, Purdy is on the shorter side and has an average arm, but that doesn't mean he can't improve on where he was as a rookie. He can always get better in his footwork, pocket awareness, timing, anticipation and ball placement.

Like you said, he's got a bright future. If he plays anything like he did last season, the Niners will be competing for the conference title again.

redskinsfan1963

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he absolutley killed the commanders in the second half last year after they held him in check the 1st half.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Former Niner RB Trey Sermon was cut by the Eagles. So much for that 2021 3rd rounder. He could literally end up on a PS or even out of the league after 2 seasons! Might want to speak with the scouts in charge of that evaluation (they better not be the same ones that evaluated TDP).

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Former Niner RB Trey Sermon was cut by the Eagles. So much for that 2021 3rd rounder. He could literally end up on a PS or even out of the league after 2 seasons! Might want to speak with the scouts in charge of that evaluation (they better not be the same ones that evaluated TDP).
The 49ers already established a poor drafting record in higher Rounds. Too bad because we'd be stronger 2 deep.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A 4th was more than I expected for him.

Honestly, I am pulling for Lance to succeed, but I don't see it happening. He lacks that quick-twitch mobility that other "mobile" Qbs have and he can't seem to consistently make the layup throws--the quick read hitch, the screen, the slant, the dump-off, etc. Greg Cosell said on the Herd that during the Denver game and the Raider game, Lance either wasn't seeing the open men he had or he wasn't trusting what he was seeing. Both were bad signs.

He needs game time, real playing time to get any better. He isn't going to get that in Dallas. And he sure wasn't going to get that in SF, not with Purdy's emergence.

It's sad to see how badly the FO botched the whole Lance thing from start to finish. The massive trade up, taking Lance over FIelds or Jones, not playing him when we could have been, and when he did play getting him injured through some rather ridiculous playcalling, and now we ship him out of town for a mid rounder glad to have gotten much of anything. Lynch and Shanny have a lot of egg on their face. I mean, if not for Purdy, this is the kind of debacle that gets coaches and GMs fired--b/c it shows a massive failure in evaluation, valuation, coaching, and playing time decisions.

STill, what are we going to do at QB now? Will we carry 2 Qbs or 3?
The lack of playing time was just too big a hurdle. This hurdle is too much for anyone and to make it worse, Lance had those injuries. So not blaming Lance at all, he competed well this off-season despite.

Now no NFL team is going to draft this raw a QB so high, and even one entire season is considered 'raw'. Wasn't Trubisky similar? There were a few others with one good college season, but struggled in the NFL.....Goff?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"What's the holdup in the contract talks between the San Francisco 49ers and star pass rusher Nick Bosa? How far apart are the two sides? According to Albert Breer, they may be trying to bridge a gap of $4 million per year."

For me, already assumed Bosa's contract will be higher than Aaron Donald. So when i read the above i take it as $4M per season above Donald's contract?

While Nick Bosa has to account for inflation, $4M seems high and no wonder the deal isn't done.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Eagles have released Sermon from their IR list. Our 3rd rd pick RB could be headed out of the league. How did we miss so badly on this guy?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Instead of trying to breathe life in Darnold's career, which hasn't worked so far, the 49ers simply should draft another quarterback, someone who's far younger and cheaper than Darnold without all of his baggage. Because he always will be the indecisive pocket passer who's afraid to make mistakes but makes them anyway.

That's who he is
."

I didn't like the Sam Darnold trade from day 1 and didn't see anything to change my mind. We had hoped this scheme would help him out and it did to a point. IMO he just doesn't have enough accuracy nor timing. His completion percentage wasn't bad but this is where the scheme (and check downs) was helping him out.

But in the 2nd half he reverted to "that's who he is" and then that fumble really hammered home his biggest weakness.......turnovers.

Yosemite Sam

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Divisional Playoff Game, I am going to say the 49ers need to figure out what they need to reinforce their run defense. Use FA or an early comp pick to add a space eating DT who can hold up two OL. Run stopping DT's can be had a bit later than pass rushing DT.

Watching the last 5-6 games, Lynch should not bring back Chase Young or Randy Gregory. Drake Jackson needs a faster, bendier playmaker pushing him opposite Bosa.

Watching the Conference Championship Game, I am going to say John Lynch needs to seriously invest on offensive linemen from center-right (OC, RG, RT). All three positions need to be upgraded. Every year we hear about these promising UDFA and have nothing to show for it.

Finally, a nickel CB or CB2.

That is it for Day 1 and Day 2 (four picks: OT, DT, CB, IOL). On Day 3, look for some WR, TE, LB, RB and possibly QB backups.

I look forward to seeing Hufanga and Ji'Ayir Brown together next year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Watching the Divisional Playoff Game, I am going to say the 49ers need to figure out what they need to reinforce their run defense. Use FA or an early comp pick to add a space eating DT who can hold up two OL. Run stopping DT's can be had a bit later than pass rushing DT.

Watching the last 5-6 games, Lynch should not bring back Chase Young or Randy Gregory. Drake Jackson needs a faster, bendier playmaker pushing him opposite Bosa.

Watching the Conference Championship Game, I am going to say John Lynch needs to seriously invest on offensive linemen from center-right (OC, RG, RT). All three positions need to be upgraded. Every year we hear about these promising UDFA and have nothing to show for it.

That is it for Day 1 and Day 2 (four picks: OT, DT, CB, IOL). On Day 3, look for some WR, TE, LB, RB and possibly QB backups.

Yes, clearly the run defense is poor but its not that easy to fix. Hargrave is already that big cost DT, so can't see another FA?

I would spend a 1st rounder on a DT if he's worth it, even trade up a little if he's worth that? This way we get both run defense and some pressure/disruption, without taking two spots. Not asking for an All-World DT in the late 1st, but if he's worth that pick add a DT. If no DT is worth the pick, then look elsewhere. Armstead's chronic foot injuries combined with his cap hit, will end his career.

I've been on Chase Young for awhile now, even think Gregory is a better DE since Young can't set the edge anyway.

Overall, believe we have too many picks and will not stay put for each. Ok with trading up a little or trading into the following draft.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems like our biggest needs are very similar to last year's. OT, CB, WR, IOL, TE, DT, S, etc. The good news is that the draft will be rich in OTs this year. We could land a good one at the end of rd 1.

Latu will be back off of IR next season, but he was a bad reach and didn't play/practice well last year anyway. We gotta get a decent 2nd TE.

With Kinlaw almost certainly leaving in FA (and he's been average), we'll need more help in the middle and with what we're paying Hargrave, it'll have to be cheap, so it's a draftee.

I'm ok with bringing back Gregory, but definitely not Young. I think Young blows his run responsibilities too often. I think Gregory has been the better player for us.

Good point--Gonna be really nice to get Hufanga back. I wonder if we're gonna bring Gipson back?

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i,v seen on espn,samuels has a 50/50 shot at playing.
The scans came back negative (good) on his shoulder. So, he didn't break anything. According to Shanny it's 50/50 right now, but we'll know a lot more on Wednesday (practice day).