• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So... Veach has

Picked up Butker from the PS
Traded a 4th for Ragland
Traded Smith for an excellent slot CB and a 2nd round pick

Niiiiiice

Can’t bitch if you root for the Chiefs. Hell of a deal and they have plenty of flexibility.

And I’m a Mahombs fan. I think he’s going to be really good.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can’t bitch if you root for the Chiefs. Hell of a deal and they have plenty of flexibility.

Yeah, I thought for a while if the Chiefs got a player it'd be someone like Kizer to fill out the backup spot. Kendall Fuller? Wetdream pie in the sky trade offer I wouldn't think of offering.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

what did the chiefs trade to move up for Mahomes?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Due to it being a new offense and the receivers being pretty old in Washington, I don't expect a repeat of 2017 for Smith. But Smith did go down field enough to lead the league in deep passes last year. He also had the second highest yards per attempt. Passer rating was number one as well, but that doesn't have anything to do anything with distance.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what did the chiefs trade to move up for Mahomes?

Don’t remember off the top of my head... I have to Google it. But - I remember thinking at the time when QB’s were starting to go that the Chiefs were smart.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Due to it being a new offense and the receivers being pretty old in Washington, I don't expect a repeat of 2017 for Smith. But Smith did go down field enough to lead the league in deep passes last year. He also had the second highest yards per attempt. Passer rating was number one as well, but that doesn't have anything to do anything with distance.
If Smith's 2017 is for real, I would be buying all the Crowder stocks right now for next season.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith has a multi year, multi million dollar contract while Cousins doesn’t have a job now. Don’t think he’s feeling that happy about things right now.
By most accounts Cousins wanted out of DC in a bad way. This is a Christmas present to him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the Browns also attempted to trade for Alex Smith before he was dealt to the Redskins.

The offers were likely similar from both the Redskins and Browns, and ultimately it was likely Smith's decision. Smith admitted earlier on Tuesday in an interview with The Dan Patrick Show that he'd like to join a contender while scoffing at the notion of joining the Browns. Upon agreement of the trade, the Redskins also gave Smith a four-year extension, something Smith likely won't have signed in Cleveland coming off a 1-31 record the last two years. New Browns GM John Dorsey will have to turn his attention elsewhere. He may dip into the Kirk Cousins market, but it's also hard to see Cousins going there after talking about his desire to win.

Good for Smith. I think what likely happened was that they got the deal done with Washington because of the extension. Either Smith did not want to sign with Dorsey again, the Chiefs didn't want to trade with Dorsey again for the same compensation, or Dorsey did not want to offer an extension. There was no way that Smith was going to choose a losing team that wanted him as a mentor.

As a Niner fan, and a Utah Utes fan, I did not want Smith to go somewhere to mentor someone for one year. I never give "I told you so's" to people, but there were plenty of people when he left San Francisco say that he would be a backup in a year or two after the trade. He probably will end up with zero rings, but if he plays his cards right, he could play 8-10 years longer than they thought.