• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll do well with the tight ends and runningbacks. I wouldn't be surprised with them doing better yards per and totals. He'll also do more than he has in the past, in my opinion, in pre-snap reads and everything that maybe was missing before?

Alex does well with a good oline and a running game to support him. If those two things are absent, Alex will struggle. He isn't going to carry the offense like other elite QBs do.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 years ago it is really hard to imagine Washington bungling the Cousins resigning as bad as they have.

They now will have paid for Cousins/Smith 6 years $138 million.

To give an idea: Andrew Luck had just inked a 6 year $140 million 2 years ago.

So now not only do they have an older and lesser QB in Smith than they did in Cousins, they will have paid more for it if they would have just inked Cousins right away. And to top it off they had to throw in a 3rd rounder and a good young player to make it all happen.

Amazing stupidity on their part.

I agree for the most part, but 6 years, 140 million is higher today than it was then. Meaning, when Rodgers and Ryan re-sign/extend, it could be compared to the hyped Luck before injury marketwise.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can prove his 2017 season is real. He proved he was a legit starting QB way back in 2011 and 12 with the 49ers, so that's not the issue.

well, he has to prove he's worth that money and I am sure he wants to stick it to KC

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, he has to prove he's worth that money and I am sure he wants to stick it to KC
He already showed why he was 'worth' it in this market (someone is giving him that deal if it wasn't the Redskins). The question is what he does beyond that.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay so the real question is, would you rather have

a) An extra $15-$20 million over 5 years or so

or

b) Fuller and a 3rd round pick

or

c) Fuller and a 3rd round pick, plus save extra money because you don't give it to Alex Smith who you aren't going to win a Super Bowl with anyway

I'm taking option C.

C...Fuller easily swings my vote here.

That said...the trade itself is pretty good for both teams imo...the extension imo is premature ..they need to be looking...fairly early still for a developmental QB...Lamar Jackson in round 2 wouldn't be bad.

Last edited:

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex does well with a good oline and a running game to support him. If those two things are absent, Alex will struggle. He isn't going to carry the offense like other elite QBs do.

His running team will do better with him making good presnap reads, being a mobile threat for a year or two more, targeting tight ends more will open up runningbacks, etc. It's the receivers one would worry about and oline, which he led the league in deep passes, but will be going to a team without Hill and Kelce.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He already showed why he was 'worth' it in this market (someone is giving him that deal if it wasn't the Redskins). The question is what he does beyond that.

well should have said if he can get beyond that but now he doesn't have Reid as a play-off jinx so we shall see

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tyrod if he hits FA.
Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater in FA.
Taking a QB at 13.
Sitting tight and rolling with McCoy and a mid round QB and continuing to build the rest of the roster.

All of them are better options IMO.

Most mocks have Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield off the board before 13. Unless you like Jackson, who would you target of the remaining rookies? Regardless, you would have to sit tight with McCoy until that QB was ready to go.

As far as the free agents go, Bradford can't be relied upon to be healthy. Bridgewater is a wildcard at this point, but I expect the Vikes to try to keep both him and Keenum. Tyrod caps your team's upside as well as a limited passer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His running team will do better with him making good presnap reads, being a mobile threat for a year or two more, targeting tight ends more will open up runningbacks, etc. It's the receivers one would worry about and oline, which he led the league in deep passes, but will be going to a team without Hill and Kelce.

He does have Jordan Reed (if healthy) and Vernon Davis for TEs. Nobody really has anything like Hill, and the Skins need to continue to build the WR corps for sure. Chris Thompson is a quality target out of the backfield though. Not sure about their OL?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually if you average them out Cousins is better, by this shorthand work but Cousins does have the worst season being 2017; not sure if that isn't the talent around him but that argument kind of works for Smith in reverse too, so I don't know.

From what I have been hearing, it was 5-6 teams that were involved.

Denver called, the Browns were pretty aggressive, and obvious Washington was interested. Reading the tea leaves it wouldn't be shocking at all if the Jets, Cardinals, and/or Vikings were also involved.

Does Smith get going quicker since he has changed offensive systems/coaches like 7-9 times in his career? Experience will help, just like Cousins' youth will help.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Hill, Hunt and Kelce are included in the deal, the Skins will have a top QB...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Alex does not have the best pocket presence. He tends to get a bit skittish in the pocket. If his oline struggles I wouldn't surprise to see him start checking down alot

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think its a lateral move for the Skins, and they saved money in the process....I think we could argue Smith is better than Cousins, or vice versa

Its the quality DB just "tossed" in this deal that really fucks it for the Skins IMO

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alex does not have the best pocket presence. He tends to get a bit skittish in the pocket. If his oline struggles I wouldn't surprise to see him start checking down alot

Well the one nice thing about the move to Washington for him is that he is going to a much better OL than what he had in KC during his time there. Maybe the best LT in the game, a great LG, and the rest of the unit is above average for sure. I would take a great OL over great weapons any day fo the week if I were a QB.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the one nice thing about the move to Washington for him is that he is going to a much better OL than what he had in KC during his time there. Maybe the best LT in the game, a great LG, and the rest of the unit is above average for sure. I would take a great OL over great weapons any day fo the week if I were a QB.

That is good. The person I responded to yesterday claimed Washington has a bad oline or at least claimed KC played behind a bad line

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't know how Cousins is in pre-snap reads, I presume he is adequate. I'm not sure how their oline is, as I've heard both ranges from others. Smith is more mobile which may give up a 25 yard pass for a 15 yard run, but I think he can make an oline look worse in the passing game, better in the running game, and save some plays (though he obviously takes some sacks due to his pocket presence).

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Most mocks have Darnold, Rosen, Allen and Mayfield off the board before 13. Unless you like Jackson, who would you target of the remaining rookies? Regardless, you would have to sit tight with McCoy until that QB was ready to go.

As far as the free agents go, Bradford can't be relied upon to be healthy. Bridgewater is a wildcard at this point, but I expect the Vikes to try to keep both him and Keenum. Tyrod caps your team's upside as well as a limited passer.

I actually prefer Jackson to Allen (and possibly Darnold). But even Allen who I think is aggressively overhyped would be better than Smith. Im ok with sitting tight for a year with McCoy if thats what it takes for something better. Its not like we're winning a SB with Smith next year anyways.

Yea Im not a huge Bradford fan. Bridgewater is interesting but it would depend on cost. If they cost too much, roll with McCoy. Tyrod again, I assume would be cheaper and not cost us the pick and player. Its not that I think Tyrod is our long term answer. But the fact we would still have our 3rd and Fuller makes them all better options.