• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good. The person I responded to yesterday claimed Washington has a bad oline or at least claimed KC played behind a bad line
Washington had a hurt line more than a bad OL as far as I can tell. The Chiefs OL I honestly don't think is too bad as it stands right now. You have an All-Pro level RT, a very good RG, a pretty good C. LG is indeed a sieve and Fisher is coming off a down year from the previous two years, but he's not at all awful either. KC isn't a great runblocking outfit in terms of power, but they can move and once things got simplified I think they did a better job winning the running game when teams made it a fair fight and didn't stack the box.

It's middle of the pack, but it's an upgrade at LG away from looking a lot better than people think.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm just getting the entire story, giving up Fuller was absolutely not necessary, that makes the trade far more awful

It wasn't necessary for the Chiefs to trade him to someone. But I think they were holding onto the 2nd rounder for some reason and Chiefs would have dealt with the Browns second if not for Fuller. It didn't need to be done from Smith's perspective, he's leaving KC either way. It didn't need to be done for KC's perspective because they were going to get a second or more. So they did think it was Fuller or no go. KC wasn't going to trade for a 3rd to do right by Smith and stay out of Cleveland for nothing.

But I also understand the sign a different QB and draft someone this or next year approach, too.

My point? While it wasn't needed, they couldn't have just offered the third and someone else. They'd have to give Fuller or beat Cleveland's second. Smith not signing with Cleveland may have an impact too, but if Dorsey likes a QB at 1 to 4, Smith has no leverage - Dorsey'd think a second was ok for a one year rental since their cap room is so big and they had the ammo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is good. The person I responded to yesterday claimed Washington has a bad oline or at least claimed KC played behind a bad line

They were not as great this year but I would put that more on injuries than talent. I can't remember how many different combinations of OL starters the Redskins had this year but it was a lot. KC at best has been a middle of the pack OL and that is me being kind. So Smith should have some opportunities. I would also add that Washington does have some decent weapons again when healthy. Injuries killed them big time. Seemed like whenever they got something going a big piece of the puzzle would go down with injury.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I'm just getting the entire story, giving up Fuller was absolutely not necessary, that makes the trade far more awful
The Skins either don't value Fuller much, got cute, or panicked that Cousins was leaving. None are flattering possibilities.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Washington had a hurt line more than a bad OL as far as I can tell. The Chiefs OL I honestly don't think is too bad as it stands right now. You have an All-Pro level RT, a very good RG, a pretty good C. LG is indeed a sieve and Fisher is coming off a down year from the previous two years, but he's not at all awful either. KC isn't a great runblocking outfit in terms of power, but they can move and once things got simplified I think they did a better job winning the running game when teams made it a fair fight and didn't stack the box.

I watched several Chiefs games this year. I don't think the Chief's oline is bad at all. I've watched a lot worse pass blocking

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched several Chiefs games this year. I don't think the Chief's oline is bad at all. I've watched a lot worse pass blocking
From C to RT, the Chiefs OL I think is actually pretty darn good. Fisher I don't know if the back injury lingered or not and they just played games with the injury report, or if he just wasn't very good compared to his previous two seasons. Witzman is just awful in pass pro and is a liability with stunts and penalties. The fact Ehinger couldn't beat him out the entire season greatly alarms me.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It wasn't necessary for the Chiefs to trade him to someone. But I think they were holding onto the 2nd rounder for some reason and Chiefs would have dealt with the Browns second if not for Fuller. It didn't need to be done from Smith's perspective, he's leaving KC either way. It didn't need to be done for KC's perspective because they were going to get a second or more. So they did think it was Fuller or no go. KC wasn't going to trade for a 3rd to do right by Smith and stay out of Cleveland for nothing.

But I also understand the sign a different QB and draft someone this or next year approach, too.

My point? While it wasn't needed, they couldn't have just offered the third and someone else. They'd have to give Fuller or beat Cleveland's second. Smith not signing with Cleveland may have an impact too, but if Dorsey likes a QB at 1 to 4, Smith has no leverage - Dorsey'd think a second was ok for a one year rental since their cap room is so big and they had the ammo.

From what I understand part of the reason he didn't go to Cleveland is in big part because Smith didn't want to go to a team where he only had 1-year of security. He knew the Browns would be looking to move on and didn't want to commit to him long-term. Washington showed the love to Smith making it much easier for him to go where he knows at least for the next 2-3 years he is the man.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I guess then better get after most major businesses then. They all do this. Yes I don't think it is right by any means but this isn't just an NFL issue. Organizations as big as the NFL are always going to do what is best for the business and that will mean being ruthless sometimes. Yes they could have just placed a simple phone call but my guess is this whole situation had a lot of moving parts that needed to be acted upon quickly. Calling a player to tell him he has been traded would have been low on the priority list.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess then better get after most major businesses then. They all do this. Yes I don't think it is right by any means but this isn't just an NFL issue. Organizations as big as the NFL are always going to do what is best for the business and that will mean being ruthless sometimes. Yes they could have just placed a simple phone call but my guess is this whole situation had a lot of moving parts that needed to be acted upon quickly. Calling a player to tell him he has been traded would have been low on the priority list.

True, but these guys are public figures, and this dude was reading media accounts about him without knowing what was going on. That's not normal. Typically players who are traded get a call from their agent immediately, who has gotten notice from the team. This is Redskins chaos and why no reasonable player would ever want to go there.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Browns DC talking about the 49ers prior to a divisional playoff game during "bountygate."

Miiiiight be a reason Alex doesn't want to be there.

You don't (expletive) apologize for how we're going to play. You're here for a reason. You're here because we saw in you...and we hope we picked the right person that won't apologize for competing the way we have to compete. There may be better athletes, but not defensive football players that have to go into war and play we (expletive) play. A mind troubled by doubt cannot focus on victory. The NFL's a production business don't ever forget it. Where are we at right now? We gotta tie at the top. We've got a lot of guys at the top. Kill the head and the body will die. Kill the head and the body will die. We've got to do everything in the world to make sure we kill Frank Gore's head. We want him running sideways. We want his head sideways. Little 32, we want to knock the (explicative) out of him. He has no idea what he's in for. When he's on the sidelines we've gotta turn that (expletive) over, turn their coaches over, turn the spectators over, go get that (expletive) on the sidelines. It's a great game, it's a production business. ... We hit (expletive) (Alex) Smith right there. Remember me, I've got the first one, I've got the first one. Go lay that (expletive) out. We're gonna dominate the line of scrimmage and we're gonna kill the (expletive) head. Every single one of you, before you get off the pile, affect the head. Early, affect the head. Continue, touch and hit the head. They're gonna come in. They're gonna be shocked with our contact. They're gonna be shocked with our speed. They're gonna be shocked with our strip. Make 'em kick field goals, be the best defense in that stadium. Remember the walk-aways, and remember whatever it takes. Whatever it takes to get that bus, drive back to that airport, and get ready for the next one. Respect comes from fear. This is how you get respect in this league. We need to find out in the first two series of the game, the little wide receiver, number 10, about his concussion. We need to (expletive) put a lick on him right now. He needs to decide. He needs to (expletive) decide. We need to decide whether (Michael) Crabtree want to be a fake (expletive) primadonna, or he wants to be a tough guy. We need to find it out. He becomes human when we (expletive) take out that outside ACL. We need to decide on how many times we can beat Frank Gore's head. We need to decide how many times we can bullrush and we can (expletive) put Vernon Davis' ankles over the pile. We need to decide and when they are fearing us, they give us the ball. Alex Smith, in the pre-season game, when you guys (expletive) avalanched that (expletive) had eyes that big. You all saw 'em. Another thing we always say in this room is never apologize for the way we compete. If you're in this room, you understand that. We don't apologize.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@There is A Moose at 3rd how much "leeway" do Chiefs fans give Mahomes now? Or will they quickly turn on him if he doesn't start off well?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@There is A Moose at 3rd how much "leeway" do Chiefs fans give Mahomes now? Or will they quickly turn on him if he doesn't start off well?
Chiefs fans?!? Those are some of the most irrational fans around if we just went by twitter/online fanbases. I am not sure there's a bigger gulf with fans as opposed to online fans in the NFL; or so it feels like. Don't know why, but that's the way it is. There are a lot of people who are pretttttty delusional about Mahomes (I made a parody thread about it and certain posters on this site) so they'll probably defend it like it was their child even if he's actually pretty bad; something I don't think will happen. 2-3 years I'd say is a logical guess for both Reid and Mahomes.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade for the Chiefs - might as well find out what you got with Mahomes, just as SF did with Kaepernick when they dealt Smith to KC. Even if Mahomes ends up sucking, it was worth it.

guess we'll find out soon enough, but from what little i saw the "it" factor's there...