• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but how is Washington said team? They just traded a player who was a major core piece in said scenario happening in Fuller.
Skins D will still likely be better than Chiefs was this year and they've got a lot of nice pieces on offense . I think they've got a good shot at making the playoffs now . After that it's a crap shoot especially in the NFC

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep . Still think he can win a SB. I mean Joe Foacco won a SB lol.
That's true. So if Alex Smith has made a deal with the devil like Flacco did, and you know about it, I can see your point.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Redskins fan, I'm okay with this.

Cousins I think is better than Smith, but the cost it would have taken to pay Cousins would have crippled us under the salary cap, and we wouldn'thave been able to address our other needs.

Smith is overpaid at 24m, but not ludicrously so for a veteran starting QB. There are plenty of quarterbacks more overpaid than that in this league. (Soon to be including Cousins) And it gives the skins flexibility to make other moves.

This was clearly a "make the best of a bad situation" (albeit a situation that they created for themselves in the botched transition from RG3 to Captain Kirk)

Given that, it was probably the best the Skins could have hoped for

Cousins would not have crippled us with the cap at all. We have plenty of cap room and he wouldn't have even cost that much more than we're paying smith anyways.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Skins D will still likely be better than Chiefs was this year and they've got a lot of nice pieces on offense . I think they've got a good shot at making the playoffs now . After that it's a crap shoot especially in the NFC
That offense is pretty unlikely to be as good as the Chiefs ignoring the QB; and Gruden is not nearly as good as Reid while we're at it.

Hambombs

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Excuse my language. But what in the fuck Bruce Allen?!?!? You just capped your upside for this team and you give up Kendall fuller???? :mad2:

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rmilla is projecting a comp pick which as far as I can tell would be correct, but that 3rd is a much lesser 3rd than the 3rd the Skins gave up.

Yup. It's a 2019 LATE 3rd and only if we don' sign FAs.

Plus it wasn't actually part of the trade. Not accurate to consider it as something skins get back.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that's the Crux of it. I think Smith can win a SB. He certainly gives you a shot as you're almost guaranteed to be in the playoffs . It'll be fine to see what happens

I think you spelled "holds you back from winning a SB" wrong

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBs are easier to replace than QBs. If that's what drove the price down from a 2nd and a late round pick to a 3rd, so be it. Now they take a DB in the first 2 rounds in April (or pursue one via FA).

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DBs are easier to replace than QBs. If that's what drove the price down from a 2nd and a late round pick to a 3rd, so be it. Now they take a DB in the first 2 rounds in April (or pursue one via FA).

Fuller alone is worth more than smith to me

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but it's entirely possible this is Champ Bailey 2.0 for the Skins. As I have pointed out already, this was not a generic DB, this was arguably an elite CB last year and arguably the best slot CB from 2017. Would you make the same trade if the name was Chris Harris?

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good trade for the Chiefs - might as well find out what you got with Mahomes, just as SF did with Kaepernick when they dealt Smith to KC. Even if Mahomes ends up sucking, it was worth it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe, but it's entirely possible this is Champ Bailey 2.0 for the Skins. As I have pointed out already, this was not a generic DB, this was arguably an elite CB last year and arguably the best slot CB from 2017. Would you make the same trade if the name was Chris Harris?

Not sure why you picked Chris Harris, but there is a big difference between an outside corner that has proven his worth for 7 years and a slot CB drafted in 2016. Even then, depending on cap situation, you never know; that $10+M cap hit this year might change things in the mind of the front office.

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't win without a QB.

For sure. Smith wasnt the only option. Yea he keeps us from sucking next year. He also keeps us from winning a SB too. Id rather have a shot at a SB. If you HAVE to move on from Cousins (which we didnt have to do), definitely dont give up legitimate assets for a replacement with no upside.

BottleWalk

Holier Than Thou
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That offense is pretty unlikely to be as good as the Chiefs ignoring the QB; and Gruden is not nearly as good as Reid while we're at it.
I think Gruden is alright but the supporting cast is orders of magnitude better in KC. The chiefs may not have very good receivers apart from Tyreek Hill but when the number two guy in washington is either an always injured/can't catch the ball half the time Josh Doctson or Ryan "not the Packers running back" Grant there's no advantage to KC in that category. Meanwhile, the Chiefs run game is the real deal

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. Smith wasnt the only option. Yea he keeps us from sucking next year. He also keeps us from winning a SB too. Id rather have a shot at a SB. If you HAVE to move on from Cousins (which we didnt have to do), definitely dont give up legitimate assets for a replacement with no upside.

The question is Cousins. Why did they feel they couldn't commit to him? They reportedly didn't even speak to him since the season ended. This all could've been settled years ago.

Other than Cousins, who are your options? Maybe Tyrod if the Bills cut him loose? Take a chance on whomever the Vikings don't keep (Bradford/Bridgewater/Keenum)? The rest of the free agents aren't much to speak of, and the Skins are picking too late (13th) to get any of the top 3 (and maybe 4 or 5?) rookie QBs.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hope not. Would like to see him go to the Broncos, Bills, Jags, or Jets

Welp, he's not going to the Jags as they are sticking with Bortles, or at least that's what they say.

I say he goes to the Bill or Broncos

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, is this the team that Smith can "prove" himself with though?

ehb5

HTTR
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The question is Cousins. Why did they feel they couldn't commit to him? They reportedly didn't even speak to him since the season ended. This all could've been settled years ago.

Other than Cousins, who are your options? Maybe Tyrod if the Bills cut him loose? Take a chance on whomever the Vikings don't keep (Bradford/Bridgewater/Keenum)? The rest of the free agents aren't much to speak of, and the Skins are picking too late (13th) to get any of the top 3 (and maybe 4 or 5?) rookie QBs.

Tyrod if he hits FA.
Keenum, Bradford, or Bridgewater in FA.
Taking a QB at 13.
Sitting tight and rolling with McCoy and a mid round QB and continuing to build the rest of the roster.

All of them are better options IMO.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He does more than Cousins did. And obviously the team feels more confident in admits than Cousins. They were willing to pay Smith close to $24 mill a year but weren’t willing to pay Cousins $2-3 mil a year more even with all his stats. That should tell you something. Seemed pretty easy for Washington to kick Cousins to the curb. Especially if they did this before the damn Super Bowl which is usually unheard of.

Not sure what you mean by he did more than what Cousins did. You list a number of things wrong with Washington that Cousins didn't have like a running game and oline. Those are things that Smith will not deal with well