• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith to Washington

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins were right there with the Eagles and steamrolled the Rams at the start of the season. No reason to think they can't make the playoffs next year with some health and some good personnel moves.

Jets are definitely the frontrunner for Cousins but that might be a bit like Melo in New York. Maybe he chooses Denver instead for a little less money but maybe he just takes the money and rolls the dice with the Jets. Denver definitely needs him more but I'm not quite sure what his salary would do to their roster.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a complete reboot style move. Might put us in better position than this move will in 3-5 years, but if it takes that long, Jay Gruden won't still be around to see it through.

This team doesn't need a complete reboot. When healthy, they're fully capable of competing with Philadelphia and Dallas in this division. They were hit very very hard by injuries this year, but they're a healthy year plus a couple of pieces away from being a playoff team. There was no FA-available QB (other than Cousins) who was a plug and play away from being ready for that situation.

Losing Fuller hurts, absolutely. And if they had resigned or tagged Cousins, then they almost assuredly could not have kept Breeland, and Fuller would have been promoted to starting CB. That would have made him crucial. But as it is, he's our 3rd (slot) CB. That's a luxury item - having a good QB is a necessity if you want to have a chance at the playoffs.

This puts us in the position of looking for a defensive back at 13. That's pretty reasonable - there are a lot of DBs that will probably go in that area. Denzel Ward, Joshua Jackson, Derwin James, maybe even Minkah Fitzpatrick if we see a Jonathan Allen type fall. That's a lot better position to be in than hoping your 3rd or 4th choice QB falls to the 13th pick, and then hoping you can somehow get him ready to start Day 1.
It does, but this move just keeps you in the middle of a pond with one broken oar, and that oar is secured to one side of the boat.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins were right there with the Eagles and steamrolled the Rams at the start of the season. No reason to think they can't make the playoffs next year with some health and some good personnel moves.

Jets are definitely the frontrunner for Cousins but that might be a bit like Melo in New York. Maybe he chooses Denver instead for a little less money but maybe he just takes the money and rolls the dice with the Jets. Denver definitely needs him more but I'm not quite sure what his salary would do to their roster.

Im not so sure the Jets investing 30million in a QB when they have so many needs, would be a wise move

I think Cousins landing in a place with a much more complete roster, would be the wisest thing, like Denver/Buffalo/Jags

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not so sure the Jets investing 30million in a QB when they have so many needs, would be a wise move

I think Cousins landing in a place with a much more complete roster, would be the wisest thing, like Denver/Buffalo/Jags
But those rosters wouldn't stay complete for very long with that salary.

If you invest in Cousins, you probably aren't also investing in a top defense.

Caliskinsfan

Burgundy & Gold Forevah
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,569.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much how I see it.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But those rosters wouldn't stay complete for very long with that salary.

If you invest in Cousins, you probably aren't also investing in a top defense.

Yeah, I guess what we are saying, is Kirk Cousins isnt worth being the highest paid QB in the NFL, cause he isnt elite enough to overcome the warts his salary will create

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. To bad he'll be in Cleveland

That would be smart for Cleveland to take him 1st and take whatever QB is still there at 4, because Barkley will never get past the Colts at 3

But its Cleveland, so

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the Jets could turn it around pretty quickly. Their defense has talent, tweaks here and there and they are set on thst front. They have a ton of cap room, signing Cousins affords them the luxury of taking a non QB at 6. Draft/sign a couple offensive lineman, they have decent receivers, maybe sign another. They can 100% turn that around (although they are the Jets so probably not).

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I guess what we are saying, is Kirk Cousins isnt worth being the highest paid QB in the NFL, cause he isnt elite enough to overcome the warts his salary will create
I think he is but you need a badass GM.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Jets could turn it around pretty quickly. Their defense has talent, tweaks here and there and they are set on thst front. They have a ton of cap room, signing Cousins affords them the luxury of taking a non QB at 6. Draft/sign a couple offensive lineman, they have decent receivers, maybe sign another. They can 100% turn that around (although they are the Jets so probably not).

They have pieces, especially on defense, id worry about the lack of offensive weapons, especially if they release Robbie Anderson who is looking at the very least at a big time suspension

tabascojet

king of cake
Hoopla Cash
$ 554,070.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be smart for Cleveland to take him 1st and take whatever QB is still there at 4, because Barkley will never get past the Colts at 3

But its Cleveland, so
920x920.jpg

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can we take a moment to talk about much poorly Alex Smith played against the Giants and Cowboys last year? I know his stats against the Cowboys aren't terrible but most of them were garbage time. He stats against the Giants were terrible.

Alex Smith did most of his damage against the AFC West. If this was a baseball trade, that would raise a lot of eyebrows. Straight up, Alex Smith is not an elite QB against Cover 2.

Man coverage? He is ace. Cover 2? Captain Field Goal. I think the Giants actually went out of their way to change their defense to play against Alex Smith.

Alex Smith is really good against the blitz, though, and he would really benefit from a solid oline. I think he is going to have some really good games for Washington but maybe not as many as his stats this year suggest.

molsaniceman

I aint drunk Im just drinking
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,327.46
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini fully expects New York to be "one of the suitors" for free agent Kirk Cousins.

The Jets have a boat load of cap space -- $73 million and the fourth-most in the league. Their need for a quarterback has been hanging over the team's head seemingly since the Joe Namath days. With Jeremy Bates expected to be promoted to offensive coordinator, that puts another feather in the team's cap to make them more attractive to Cousins. Bates is a disciple of the Mike Shanahan offense, the same offense Cousins was drafted into in Washington and excelled at under the Shanahans and then Jay Gruden-Sean McVay. Cousins spoke glowingly of Bates while at the Super Bowl on Tuesday. The Jets won't be his only suitor, however, and whoever wins the bidding war will have to back up the Brinks truck.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cousins DVOA by year:

2015: 16.9% (6th best in the NFL)
2016: 20.9% (5th)
2017: -0.4% (17th)

Smith DVOA by year:

2015: 3.0% (15th)
2016: 9.4% (10th)
2017: 18.2% (9th)
So your posting a DVOA that says Cousins has averaged the 9th best DVOA the last 3 years compared to Smith's 8th best Verage to disprove me? Even if you think the 2 guys are the same caliber the Dkins still saved probably 20 million bucks and that's totally ignoring the entire winning aspect. Which is kind of a big deal

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So your posting a DVOA that says Cousins has averaged the 9th best DVOA the last 3 years compared to Smith's 8th best Verage to disprove me? Even if you think the 2 guys are the same caliber the Dkins still saved probably 20 million bucks and that's totally ignoring the entire winning aspect. Which is kind of a big deal
Actually if you average them out Cousins is better, by this shorthand work but Cousins does have the worst season being 2017; not sure if that isn't the talent around him but that argument kind of works for Smith in reverse too, so I don't know.

The fact that KC got a 3rd rounder & a starter for Alex, means there was more than a few bidders. I would say the Cardinals are in the market for Cousins, but I have a hard time seeing Keim spending $25+ mil for him. Unless Cousins is willing to play for closer to the aav of $20 mil, I don't see too many teams in the bidding for him. Someone will pay him though.

I am not sure what the Redskins where thinking here. Smith is a solid QB, but Cousins is younger with a higher ceiling. The bridge must have been burnt if Cousins wouldn't except the amount of money Alex got or Washington is just dysfunctional if they weren't making at least the same offer to Cousins.
From what I have been hearing, it was 5-6 teams that were involved.

Denver called, the Browns were pretty aggressive, and obvious Washington was interested. Reading the tea leaves it wouldn't be shocking at all if the Jets, Cardinals, and/or Vikings were also involved.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have pieces, especially on defense, id worry about the lack of offensive weapons, especially if they release Robbie Anderson who is looking at the very least at a big time suspension
Anderson could land in Miami....Perfect spot where he could be closer to where he likes to get arrested.....