• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alex Smith must work on sideline routes

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
that receiver just happened to be ginn. i don't think smith has any confidence in ginn. NONE. and its not just his hands. he seems like a very poor route runner. he looks back at the qb halfway through the route, slows down/speeds up in the middle of the pattern, and takes very poor angles to the ball. forget adjustments, simply running the routes as called for seems a puzzle for him. i don't have a chance to review the film [i've been watching these games from 11pm -2am in eastern europe] so i'll be curious to hear what you think about ginns routes on those two deep plays. on the first one, i saw him down/up shift in the middle of the pattern [instead of running hard from the snap and then looking for the ball when appropriate] but had no second look at the one later in the game.

Here are my observations on the two Ginn overthrows.

1st: :38 left in the half. Ginn was flanked to the left - Defender playing on the line - Ginn blows past the Corner on an inside fake. At the point where Ginn should have caught the ball he had 5 yards on the closest defender and the ball lands ~10 yards oob and ~10 yards past Ginn - Blatant miss.

2nd :26 left in half. Ginn flanked this time to the right - defender playing off. Ginn gives a stutter, defender doesn't bite and stays close. Ginn does get a step and his outside shoulder is open to Smith - Smith throws it ~10 yds over his head and ~3 yards oob.

Speaking objectively to the intent of the 2nd miss, again, I think Smith simply overthrew Ginn. At least, I hope that is the case because Smith really should not have any reason for not attempting to complete that pass, IMO.