• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aldon Smith Agrees to Plea Deal

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is fucking hilarious. Suuuuuuure, Buckelew, whateeeever you say.

He was probably responding to a reporter question (probably from the Seattle area) of what the max penalty could be...

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is fucking hilarious. Suuuuuuure, Buckelew, whateeeever you say.

California's gun laws are a joke. He broke the law, but the stupid laws this state enacts makes criminals out of people that shouldn't be.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope everything works out for A. Smith. We need him.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Plaxico Burress got 4 games for a weapons charge. Not sure how many games people typically get for a DUI.

Burress was in possession of a gun without a permit and shot a person in a public night club. Smith had legally purchased guns in his home. They are not even remotely similar cases.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Burress was in possession of a gun without a permit and shot a person in a public night club. Smith had legally purchased guns in his home. They are not even remotely similar cases.

I know, but that was the only gun charge I could remember, and I can' think of a better one to which I can compare Aldon's charge. Actually, I'm not even clear on what he did that was illegal in that case.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know, but that was the only gun charge I could remember, and I can' think of a better one to which I can compare Aldon's charge. Actually, I'm not even clear on what he did that was illegal in that case.

He transported illegal style of guns (according to California law) across state lines from Arizona I believe...

And you would be better served searching for players who have been arrested at airports for having fire arms. I know there have been a few such cases, that didn't involve shooting one's self... lol

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never got how no contest plea worked. Is it like I'm kinda guilty but not fully guilty so give me a lesser sentence?

If I remeber correct it means he's accepting the punishment but isn't pleading guilty to it

Sometimes the victim's family doesn't want a no contest if the facts are there. They want a guilty confession or conviction. But focus on the penalty as you take what you can get as you don't know juries or technicalities. You won't get the remorse or admission closure, which is as important to some, depending on the crime.

In case it isn't clear, I am not applying this to Aldon's case. There's no victim here.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the commish really let him off the hook? I thought the punishment for DUI's were still to be determined. The only thing I recall the commish saying was that they would take his voluntary time off for rehab into consideration when the league determines punishment. Haven't heard anything else.

There was no conviction yet of the DUI and voluntary rehab would help when that conviction or plea happened. This is the plea for that, right? Or was that the previous DUI?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No contest...Nolo contendere=I do not wish to contend.
Neither an admission nor denial of guilt. It is often used when the defendant would expect a jury of his peers to convict him. This provides for swift punishment without wasting court time and money. Usually the punishment is reduced as the court recognizes the speed and the efficiency of justice because of the plea.

If it is reduced the same as a guilty plea, there's no reason to plead not guilty over no contest. A plea in abeyance is one where you can plead guilty (or no contest) and the punishment is held for a period of time, in which if the conditions are met, the charge for all intents and purposes are dropped. But the plea stands if conditions not met. If I were a judge, I'd want plea in abeyance a to be guilty, not no contest because you are sort of saying you won't do what you did again not that you won't do what you are not contesting, but that's just me.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think anywhere from 4-8 games he will be out for. 2nd half of the season he and Bowman will be back, we have enough depth at LB to be fine without those 2 for half the season.

my2cents

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Pleading no contest is essentially pleading guilty. I don't think anyone pleads guilty any more.

Typically people will submit an "Alford Plea" from North Carolina v. Alford (many times called a no contest plea), as a way of accepting a plea deal without admitting one or more factual elements of the offense. It is allowed for a number of circumstances (i.e. to avoid civil liability, to take advantage of a very good plea deal, etc), but the Court has to be willing to accept such a plea. Additionally, come sentencing time, this typically hurts a defendant because they have not "accepted responsibility" by pleading guilty. Defendants still plead guilty far more often that submitting an Alford Plea, at least in my experience. Sorry for being overly particular as it really doesn't make much difference as far as this board is concerned.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He transported illegal style of guns (according to California law) across state lines from Arizona I believe...

And you would be better served searching for players who have been arrested at airports for having fire arms. I know there have been a few such cases, that didn't involve shooting one's self... lol

Tank Williams?

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was no conviction yet of the DUI and voluntary rehab would help when that conviction or plea happened. This is the plea for that, right? Or was that the previous DUI?

I don't believe theere were any convictions at that time

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't Burress shoot himself in the foot, lol

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is correct. The guns he purchased legally in Arizona are illegal in stupid California, and he was busted for being in possesstion of those mean looking weapons.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That is correct. The guns he purchased legally in Arizona are illegal in stupid California, and he was busted for being in possesstion of those mean looking weapons.

Yeah, I'd much rather live in a state where I can eat lunch at a restaurant with a bunch of strangers armed with fully automatic assault rifles.