• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama's Da'shawn hand arrested for DUI

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point I am going to assume that you are either trolling or just mad at Coach Saban. More than likely you are just jealous of the success he has had. The reason I say this is that you can/will NOT state my position correctly. Until you can do that, I will quit feeding the troll.

Yeah, no. I'm not some nut who thinks their team should win every year or every game and if they don't it's some sort of travesty and I hate the team that does. I couldn't care less about Bama or Clemson winning a title or Auburn. Maybe Notre Dame or UCLA winning one would get to me but thats because of the rivalry thing. I enjoy watching the title game every year and i don't need my team to be in it to like it.
As a coach for youth leagues , playing multiple sports , as a parent of a kid who played sports and as a member of the military I know as a fact not getting to play or in the case of the military not being able to go on liberty is pretty much they only thing that gets to them. Giving them more practice or in the case of the Bama player some community service and alcohol classes is no substitute for knowing you let your team , your school your family down. It's just a fact. All this other BS about they would rather have these other punishments and missing games is a slap on the wrist is such nonsense I can't believe you guys really think it's true. I bet when this Bama player got the news what he had to do he was relieved he still got to play not pissed he had to do all that other stuff. he's gladly double the classes and service if it meant not missing a game. That hardly sounds like a slap on the wrist to me.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a coach for youth leagues , playing multiple sports , as a parent of a kid who played sports and as a member of the military I know as a fact not getting to play or in the case of the military not being able to go on liberty is pretty much they only thing that gets to them.

If this is true then one of two things are true:
A. You have people that have no pride in themselves nor the job they do.
B. There is a crisis of organizational leadership and/or a lack of it.

I am not directing that at you per se, but if you have to swing the big hammer to motivate people every day to do what is right, then there is a failure in the leadership of the organization. Our military bearing was lax on submarines, but we operated on the principle that you handled discipline on the lowest level possible with the minimum corrective action possible to rectify the situation.

Giving them more practice or in the case of the Bama player some community service and alcohol classes is no substitute for knowing you let your team , your school your family down. It's just a fact.

This is not necessarily binary. Suspension is not the only way to teach that someone let themselves down along with the team. Again with some people you need to suspend others may not require that.

All this other BS about they would rather have these other punishments and missing games is a slap on the wrist is such nonsense I can't believe you guys really think it's true.

I dare you to show me one post where I have stated or even hinted that is my position.

I bet when this Bama player got the news what he had to do he was relieved he still got to play not pissed he had to do all that other stuff. he's gladly double the classes and service if it meant not missing a game.

I bet he is ashamed of himself and the trouble he has caused. I also bet that if he is not then his behavior will not change and he will be off of the team by year's end.

When I was in boot camp at Great Lakes there was a quote by Admiral Nimitz painted on a wall in the building we had graduation ceremonies in. I am going to have to paraphrase it, but it went something like this:
Discipline is not punishment but rather the state of mind that allows one to control decisions to achieve greatness.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know he didnt do more? You think what happens behind the scenes is public knowledge? Just read articles on Alphonse Taylor talking about Saban and his discipline of players, you will see its all inhouse, no one talks about what he does. Its not even legal to do so due to confidentiality clauses the state has created for students safety.

Saban literally said Da'Shawn Hand went to a 48 hour in patient treatment center for alcohol. And was back to make it to their first practice

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban literally said Da'Shawn Hand went to a 48 hour in patient treatment center for alcohol to have an in patient evaluation. And was back to make it to their first practice

FIFY

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFS, this notion that losing the ability to suit up for a game doesn't matter to some players is about the most ludicrous thing I've read up here in ages.

I can't imagine that Bama has very many kids that disinterested in playing. I mean maybe Vandy does. A few ducks looked like they didn't give a shit last year. But Bama?

It isn't about just that kid not being able to play a down. That's not where the bulk of the impact comes from. It is knowing you let every one of your brothers down and it is your fault they are short handed for a game.

If you all have ANY starters that wouldn't be impacted by that it's time to send them packing. Seriously.

I know how much it impacted Austin Sefarian Jenkins when he lost a game for a DUI for UW and what it meant to the rest of the team. It isn't a trivial thing at all. I'd flat out kick any player off the team that really didn't care if they were able to suit up or not. I mean I can't imagine any of you thinking there are more than one or two per top level team that this would apply to, more or less that there are so many that there is no need to EVER add suspensions as a thing because it's so rarely going to mean anything.

Of course it's a major punishment. And once again, it wasn't warranted in this particular case. So why on earth is this thing still alive?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Having an UNLICENSED gun is illegal. Driving a car isn't illegal so there should be no punishment for driving a car without a driver's license?

It's not required in Alabama or Louisiana.

It's only required for concealed carry.

Gun laws in Louisiana - Wikipedia

Gun laws in Alabama - Wikipedia

giphy.gif

But I get it - most people think it should be illegal for a black guy under the age of 30 to carry a gun.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FFS, this notion that losing the ability to suit up for a game doesn't matter to some players is about the most ludicrous thing I've read up here in ages.

I dare you to show a quote where that has been said. I will wait while starving a troll.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt i have a ton to learn as a parent. As someone who played football, not only in high school, like many on here, but in college -- there is no bigger punishment you can receive that will act as a future deterrent (other than being kicked off the team), than suspending a player. You are not only letting yourself down with your actions, but the entire team, who you consider your family.

'Community service', 'Ride Alongs', two day alcohol treatment are nothing more than sugar coating a slap on the wrist.

1. Community service, especially when it isn't court ordered can be anything or absolutely nothing. Bama could hold a football camp and make Hand work it and that is considered 'community service'.

2. Ride Alongs, once again, are absolutely pointless. I've went on multiple ride alongs, as I have a brother and a brother in law who are cops. They are fun, not educational or life changing. They aren't allowed to bring you to dangerous runs like you see in the movies or TV shows. It is writing speeding tickets and driving around suburbs.

Then you are saying DUI laws aren't tough enough for anyone.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's a major punishment. And once again, it wasn't warranted in this particular case. So why on earth is this thing still alive?

Because it's an Alabama player...

4 more pages than the official players got arrested thread...that's over 2 years old.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saban literally said Da'Shawn Hand went to a 48 hour in patient treatment center for alcohol. And was back to make it to their first practice
And you of course, think this is the only thing handed down to him, because Saban didnt say anything else.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dare you to show a quote where that has been said. I will wait while starving a troll.
Again, bandwagon has said that at least a dozen times. Why on earth is it necessary to repost it? He firmly doesn't believe it is an effective punishment and has chided others for not accepting it is just his opinion. I can't wrap my brain around how anyone would think a D1 major player isn't seriously impacted by not playing. It doesn't make any sense and that's my opinion.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never gotten arrested for DUI, but I got arrested for other stuff in my youth. The simple act of being arrested and being in trouble was plenty enough for me to learn my lesson.

According to some around here, it's a flat out miracle I'm not the next Al Capone since I didn't have an extra entity providing futher punishment for my mistakes.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If this is true then one of two things are true:
A. You have people that have no pride in themselves nor the job they do.
B. There is a crisis of organizational leadership and/or a lack of it.

I am not directing that at you per se, but if you have to swing the big hammer to motivate people every day to do what is right, then there is a failure in the leadership of the organization. Our military bearing was lax on submarines, but we operated on the principle that you handled discipline on the lowest level possible with the minimum corrective action possible to rectify the situation.

This is not necessarily binary. Suspension is not the only way to teach that someone let themselves down along with the team. Again with some people you need to suspend others may not require that.

I dare you to show me one post where I have stated or even hinted that is my position.

I bet he is ashamed of himself and the trouble he has caused. I also bet that if he is not then his behavior will not change and he will be off of the team by year's end.

When I was in boot camp at Great Lakes there was a quote by Admiral Nimitz painted on a wall in the building we had graduation ceremonies in. I am going to have to paraphrase it, but it went something like this:
Discipline is not punishment but rather the state of mind that allows one to control decisions to achieve greatness.

LOL. What a load of BS. So where was the lack of leadership that landed him in this situation? Leadership would be suspending the player despite what it does to his team . Saban fails . Consequences is the one thing you're failing to understand. Discipline is supposed to stop you from doing stupid things and consequences is what happens when you dont. Since he gets to play he had no real consequences.
I'm sure his embarrassment is gone once he's suiting up to play first game of the season. you know what would be really embarrassing to him? If he had to sit and watch.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's an Alabama player...

4 more pages than the official players got arrested thread...that's over 2 years old.
Well to be fair, it's only 2-3 people harping on 2-3 people over it. It's not the entire board going off tilt on it.

Suspensions are a very real and quite effective punishment.

They shouldn't be handed out for every team infraction. They should be reserved for substantial cases. And they should be subject to a case by case basis taking everything into account. They should also be consistent within each program. They cannot be consistent from one program to the next without involving the NCAA and no one wants that. The court of public opinions is enough to keep pressures up on teams to do the right thing. It's not perfect, but it is somewhat effective.

This player didn't actually drive the car if reports saying that are correct. That's different than putting others lives at risk. There shouldn't have been a suspension in this case accordingly. The legal system is free to charge as the law sees fit. The teams interest in punishing is a completely different thing. Just because he will face a DUI charge in this instance doesn't mean the team has to approach it the same way.

WizardHawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've never gotten arrested for DUI, but I got arrested for other stuff in my youth. The simple act of being arrested and being in trouble was plenty enough for me to learn my lesson.

According to some around here, it's a flat out miracle I'm not the next Al Capone since I didn't have an extra entity providing futher punishment for my mistakes.
This is part of the disconnect from reality here. Each is punishing for a different reason and should use a different set of criteria. They are not mutually exclusive nor inclusive. You can and should punish for some team violations that don't even violate any type of law, more or less end in conviction. And there may be things that the law doesn't allow for that aren't something the school should be involved in.

Neither system is always fair nor always effective if the only goal is to 'teach a lesson'. Sometimes it's just punitive without a care over lessons either way. Sometimes it is to send a message to the rest of the team or to the general public over the types of behavior that will not be tolerated.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well if you had other people in charge of you who had to answer for your behavior , were on a scholarship where you are to behave up to certain standards , had a job which said you couldn't have a record , had a job where you're licence could be taken away then you would have had more. If you're just some guy on the street or like me self employed then yeah that's all you get. It dosn't mean you'll never commit a crime again or you will go on to do more it's about the consequences for that action.
Yesterday a girls little league team got thrown out of their final championship game because they took a photo flipping off the last team they beat. Consequences. Do they think none of those girls will ever do something wrong again? No of course not. But they decided t do something and they payed the price. They got more than a Alabama football player who gets a DUI.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then you are saying DUI laws aren't tough enough for anyone.

He will get the normal DUI punishment -- big fine, suspended license (depending on state law), expensive insurance, etc.

What you CONTINUE to overlook -- scholarship athletes aren't regular college students. They represent the school on and off the field. If you don't want to be held to the higher standard, start paying for school out of pocket and quit playing football. Then you can get all the DUI's you'd like.

batchaps4me

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm just telling you what Saban said. I can't copy and paste from articles from my phone, so here is a tweet.

Fair enough, but: Alabama's Da'Shawn Hand won't be suspended after DUI charge

The senior already had to go to a local 48-hour inpatient center for "assessment purposes" and, according to Saban, "for "professional people (to) assess what he needs to do" and "what we need to do with him."

Professional people accessed Mr. Hand and made recommendations for treatment that were accepted by Coach Saban. His 48 hour inpatient stint was not for treatment but rather for assessment.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He will get the normal DUI punishment -- big fine, suspended license (depending on state law), expensive insurance, etc.

No he won't. He'll get a diversion/youthful offender most likely.