• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama's Da'shawn hand arrested for DUI

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Welp can't say we're surprised:

Alabama coach Nick Saban said Thursday he will not suspend defensive lineman Da'Shawn Hand following his arrest for driving under the influence over the weekend, so long as he completes certain requirements such as community service and police ride-alongs.

Saban said Hand was placed in 48-hour inpatient treatment for alcohol, and the team will continue to monitor his progress. Hand was at practice for the first day of preseason camp Thursday.

I'd like to know why they'd even waste anyone's time with a 2 day treatment for alcohol? What is that going to do? What a punishment -- go chill out at this facility for two days til your hang over is gone, and make sure you are back for practice.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, so don't quote me, but rumor is -- they are also going to give him a hard slap on the wrist to really teach him a lesson.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to know why they'd even waste anyone's time with a 2 day treatment for alcohol? What is that going to do? What a punishment -- go chill out at this facility for two days til your hang over is gone, and make sure you are back for practice.

I'm not sure if this is true or not, so don't quote me, but rumor is -- they are also going to give him a hard slap on the wrist to really teach him a lesson.

What is the purpose of punishment? Vengence?

BoiseStateFan27

Sir Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 364.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really didn't drive like he says then I'm fine with him not missing any time

better to be asleep in your car than driving that's for sure

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he really didn't drive like he says then I'm fine with him not missing any time

better to be asleep in your car than driving that's for sure

Yeah it's kind of a stupid/harsh law in that regard. He pretty much did the right thing, but the law is probably written for other situations and he got caught up in it.

He'll have no trouble getting it off his record IMO. They'll give him a fine, community service and they'll drop the charges.

Also, it doesn't apply in this case because he is 21. But in Alabama, if you are under 21 and have any alcohol in your system it's an automatic DUI.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah it's kind of a stupid/harsh law in that regard. He pretty much did the right thing, but the law is probably written for other situations and he got caught up in it.
Whether or not he was actually driving would be an easy thing for a prosecutor to determine - just check his cell phone's gps. The data is there.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whether or not he was actually driving would be an easy thing for a prosecutor to determine - just check his cell phone's gps. The data is there.

Won't matter because the law says just being in the car with the keys is enough. Never has to move a foot, it's still a DUI by law.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you don't think team discipline has anything to do with wins? Do you think Saban could have kept it together this long without the team being disciplined?

Of course discipline matters. But when your team is so much more talented then most, discipline isn't the only factor.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you had really read all my posts, you would know I have no issue with this, yet you keep dragging thsi same tired questions out. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good, then both should happen. No more comments are needed about this.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course discipline matters. But when your team is so much more talented then most, discipline isn't the only factor.

Well I think only 1 arrest and it's just this for the entire offseason is pretty damn good.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think only 1 arrest and it's just this for the entire offseason is pretty damn good.

Are you under the impression that I'm the one saying Saban has no control of his team or Alabama has too many arrests? Shit 27 in 10 years is really good in this day and age. Wouldn't be shocked if WVU has more.

My main beef is the insane comments that him missing time teaches him nothing.

An honestly, no matter how hot it is just put down the windows. Leaving the keys in the ignition for the AC to be on leads to situations like this.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Won't matter because the law says just being in the car with the keys is enough. Never has to move a foot, it's still a DUI by law.
Actually, the keys don't even have to be inside the car. I think there is a certain distance away from you that they have to be. Like you can't just throw your keys out the window and fall asleep....still DUI.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the purpose of punishment? Vengence?

Vengeance? No. It is called consequences. A slap on the wrist isn't a deterrent, it just adds to the err of invincibility most of these CFB players feel.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

From my understanding it was a two day in patient evaluation, not treatment. The evaluation team gave recommendations that are being followed for treatment.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vengeance? No. It is called consequences. A slap on the wrist isn't a deterrent, it just adds to the err of invincibility most of these CFB players feel.

So does this mean everyone else who gets a DUI and doesn't play football adds to their err of invincibility?

You know, since it's a crime and has legal punishments.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So does this mean everyone else who gets a DUI and doesn't play football adds to their err of invincibility?

No, they just pay for their college education.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DUI is a big deal and even though he wasn't driving let's be real he was at some point and was drunk. Because it's a serious issue it would be nice for it to be taken serious and a message sent not only to his team but all atheletes out there that it's not ok. A suspension for a half would do that and it would be a better PR move then giving the appearance you will do whatever it takes to have your stars on the field when Bama plays FSU.

Let's be real what is happening here is they want the kid on the field.

batchaps4me

Trolley conductor in Mr. Rogers' neighborhood.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,999.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DUI is a big deal and even though he wasn't driving let's be real he was at some point and was drunk. Because it's a serious issue it would be nice for it to be taken serious and a message sent not only to his team but all atheletes out there that it's not ok. A suspension for a half would do that and it would be a better PR move then giving the appearance you will do whatever it takes to have your stars on the field when Bama plays FSU.

Let's be real what is happening here is they want the kid on the field.

I have to somewhat disagree with you here. Suspending a kid for the PR is just as bad as letting one play just to win. IMHO both actions are wrong. Coaches are generally pressured by the media for suspensions and I remember Coach Malzahn facing this as well in the past. I generally support coaches decisions because they have more information on the incident and the young man than the public. Coach Saban said yesterday that De'shawn did not drive while drunk. Unless there is information opposing that, I will accept it as truth.

Let's face it, this is not a must win game and the season is not on the line. Hell, I do not know that playing/suspending Mr. Hand will effect the outcome of the game. Not taking anything away from Da'shawn but Alabama has a good history of next man up succeeding. Everyone should know that it is nearly impossible to prevent a young man from making bad decisions and easier to correct a bad behavior/decision making process. As long as the behavior is corrected, the person is helped. That should be the goal.