• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama's Da'shawn hand arrested for DUI

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me? Are you really trying to say you aren't defending Saban here? Really? Do you even have half a brain, because everyone even on this page can see you defending Saban with the "he's not like other coaches" and he does things his way as he sees fit. That's not defending Saban.

Yes yes we know you don't care if Saban does it but yet you are still here arguing with me about it. Hmmm seems like ya care champ.
Me complimenting the man by saying he is not like other coaches (something you did as well) is considered defending him? I guess I should thank you for defending Saban then. So, Thanks!

Keep digging, I see that hole reaching water soon, then you can swim out.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not arguing against a suspension, even went so farmas to say Saban or any coach can suspend or dont and it doesnt bother me. I simply dont see its a punishment fitting the crime. I have even stated its my opinion, but you keep walking it back to being earth shattering I have an opinion that differs from yours. Here a hint, I am not changing my opinion no matter what you say or how you frame it. I am not a keep up with the Jones, head in the oven kinda guy. I walk to my own drumbeat and have my own out of the box thoughts.

I know you aren't changing your opinion. It's just hilarious how you say your done and don't care what Saban does yet continue to come back with the punishment of a suspension doesn't fit the crime.

We'll just agree to disagree.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Me complimenting the man by saying he is not like other coaches (something you did as well) is considered defending him? I guess I should thank you for defending Saban then. So, Thanks!

Keep digging, I see that hole reaching water soon, then you can swim out.

You said "Saban blazes trails others attempt to follow" are you not defending him and a non suspension. Seriously you are trying to argue this.

Just because I say something that you don't agree with doesn't mean I'm digging, it more then likely means I'm right with your response.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know you aren't changing your opinion. It's just hilarious how you say your done and don't care what Saban does yet continue to come back with the punishment of a suspension doesn't fit the crime.

We'll just agree to disagree.
I thought we had done that when you ended the thread, yet you kept on.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said "Saban blazes trails others attempt to follow" are you not defending him and a non suspension. Seriously you are trying to argue this.

Just because I say something that you don't agree with doesn't mean I'm digging, it more then likely means I'm right with your response.
Is he a leader? Does he have a system that has won 5 titles. I stated an obvious fact. thats not defending, thats pointing out the obvious. Does Saban need defending? Is there code of ethics that all coaches must be the same and punish the same? I am curious how I am defending what needs no defense?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is he a leader? Does he have a system that has won 5 titles. I stated an obvious fact. thats not defending, thats pointing out the obvious. Does Saban need defending? Is there code of ethics that all coaches must be the same and punish the same? I am curious how I am defending what needs no defense?

Him blazing a trail for others to follow isn't an obvious fact, it's opinion. You using his 5NC's and him doing things his way was absolutely you defending a non suspension if Saban decides not to give one. Please stop playing coy.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Him blazing a trail for others to follow isn't an obvious fact, it's opinion. You using his 5NC's and him doing things his way was absolutely you defending a non suspension if Saban decides not to give one. Please stop playing coy.
Ok, so no other coaches want to be like Saban and win titles, thats a trail only he wants to be on, got it.:nod:

Saban has suspended before, so he may. Doesnt mean my opinion of it will change. Personally I would try to tach him why driving drunk was a potential life chamging event for him or someone else.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know there is something left to be learned by suspension time as much as you know there is someing he will learn by doing push-ups.

And this is exactly why each one should be taken into account individually and dealt with that way, rather than thinking all punishment must do X and Y.

I guess just using the lesson that you can lose something you love and have been training for will make him think twice about doing something stupid on or off the football field.

I echo your last sentence. That includes my own school.

I think getting a DUI is in itself pretty big on the lesson part if I had to guess. First time I ever got in trouble, I didn't even really do anything, but learned the lesson - who you hang out with matters. And I had all those charges dropped and no other punishment. It doesn't always take extreme punishment to learn a lesson, especially among reasonable people.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the fact that he makes millions of dollars a year on wins and needs these "kids" for said wins means there's no chance an inappropriate punishment would ever be given.

I'm not sure about my coach ethier, seriously.

He's not perfect by any means, and I'm sure he makes mistakes. You'll find the same thing among parents, judges and well - anyone who's human. But that doesn't mean he isn't the best person to deal with things, nor does it mean he isn't right the majority of the time.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Saban is smart enough and knows enough about the kids to give out appropriate punishment.
But he can't be expected to know them well enough to be able to predict if they can keep out of trouble.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think the only way to inflict punishment is to suspend for a game because everyone else does it.
No. No one has said that. Not even a little. In fact it is you all saying the only way to inflict punishment is a laundry list of things EXCEPT that. Period.

He said, we said, everyone else has said suspensions for serious infractions should at least be an option and probably in addition to other forms of punishment.

Missing out on a game is something that impacts both the player involved and the team right? That means it's really the only form of punishment that lets your fellow teammates down. That's a hell of a lot more powerful than extra wind sprints and picking up garbage on the side of the road for an afternoon. Having to sit out and not even suit up for a game take something real away from them. It sends a message to the rest of the team as well in a very visible way.

Of course it's a real form of punishment. And yes, innocent people potentially suffer from it if it is a key player and it ends up impacting the results of the game. And that player has to bear that for the rest of their days. Maybe it wouldn't mean anything to you, but these guys are beyond close. You can't let your team down like that without it just killing you inside.

bamabear82

I ♥ t-baggin
Hoopla Cash
$ 709.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, 230+ posts in, has Saban broke his protocol and mentioned what the punishment will be yet?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But he can't be expected to know them well enough to be able to predict if they can keep out of trouble.

Nope, it's just like being a parent. You do your best and hope they take to it.

Saban has actually suspended players from time to time for different things. In 2013 in the middle of the Iron Bowl, Drake got pulled because of bad attitude, and he didn't play the rest of the year. He was having a great game in the 1st half, never saw a down in the 2nd half and we lost.

But I doubt it happened solely because of that 1 single incident. It was likely a pattern and he addressed it with what he thought was best. I'd say it worked, he was hurt in 2014 as I recall, but was a big asset in the 2015 National Championship run.

But that suspension was never announced as I recall, he just did not play.

There have been others. If they screw up bad enough, 5 stars have been kicked off the team. The punishment usually varies based on their overall character and what they did.

I think the coaches know what's best for their teams and should be able to manage them as they see fit. If you start getting Baylor type stuff, well that's another story. If they do it poorly, like Urban Meyer at Florida, the effects are felt by the team/school. Urban obviously learned from his mistakes and seems to have much more control at Ohio St so far.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohh your so kind. Of course there's more than one way to skin a cat. But because most coaches do suspend a player for getting a DUI certainly doesn't mean it's wrong.

My original point is the player absolutely learns something from missing a game or at least will think twice about breaking the law again if he knows gametime could be missed, regardless of what his final actions are.

He hasn't gotten a DUI, nor will he. You really think it's right to punish him before his court date anyway? I promise you dude will be punished more than you or I would be for falling asleep drunk in a car....with or without suspension

It's also absolutely not only Bama fans that think he shouldn't be suspended

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. No one has said that. Not even a little. In fact it is you all saying the only way to inflict punishment is a laundry list of things EXCEPT that. Period.

He said, we said, everyone else has said suspensions for serious infractions should at least be an option and probably in addition to other forms of punishment..

Perhaps you should read the entire thread and then work on a correction of your statement. I personally have stated I have no issue with Saban suspending players. Its my opinion it doesnt fit the crime and I am on record I dont think its more than a slap on the wrist. I detailed items that I think teaches him why he was wrong. I keep asking if anyone can find repeat offenders under Saban, but no one has ventured names. Maybe you want to give it a try.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, so no other coaches want to be like Saban and win titles, thats a trail only he wants to be on, got it.:nod:

Saban has suspended before, so he may. Doesnt mean my opinion of it will change. Personally I would try to tach him why driving drunk was a potential life chamging event for him or someone else.

Translation: "yes I was defending Saban in not suspending him"

Again why not both a suspension and life changing event he experiences?

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And this is exactly why each one should be taken into account individually and dealt with that way, rather than thinking all punishment must do X and Y.

I think getting a DUI is in itself pretty big on the lesson part if I had to guess. First time I ever got in trouble, I didn't even really do anything, but learned the lesson - who you hang out with matters. And I had all those charges dropped and no other punishment. It doesn't always take extreme punishment to learn a lesson, especially among reasonable people.

Individually dealt with I can see. But it's not like they found a joint on him. He was hit with a dui regardless if he was driving he vehicle or not.

An I don't think missing a game is extreme punishment. Not all kids learn from doing push-ups. Sometimes it's taking something away they love that teaches them. Even reasonable people understand that.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not perfect by any means, and I'm sure he makes mistakes. You'll find the same thing among parents, judges and well - anyone who's human. But that doesn't mean he isn't the best person to deal with things, nor does it mean he isn't right the majority of the time.

I'm not saying Saban is perfect or should be, what I'm saying is relying on a guy who makes millions off wins to properly punish these kids when it can effect his bottomline is laughable as him being the best person to deal with this.

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,048.34
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perhaps you should read the entire thread and then work on a correction of your statement. I personally have stated I have no issue with Saban suspending players. Its my opinion it doesnt fit the crime and I am on record I dont think its more than a slap on the wrist. I detailed items that I think teaches him why he was wrong. I keep asking if anyone can find repeat offenders under Saban, but no one has ventured names. Maybe you want to give it a try.
No, it is you that owes everyone else on this site an apology for dragging this on for 10+ pages of pure and utter nonsense.

I've read your words and you talk out both sides of your ass. You are trying desperately hard to make it sound as though missing a game means nothing and that is pure bullshit. You can say all you want that you don't have a problem with it, but when you spend page after page trying to spin it and argue with literally anyone sane in the discussion it suggests you very much do have problems with how it impacts the team.

How about you actually answer the points I made instead of trying to change the subject? Do you think a kid that has to either not suit up, or maybe even not allowed on the sideline has to feel the weight of letting every other player on that team down for what they did that lead to them not playing and potentially hurting the team? You don't think that is punishment? You don't think the impact of their peers carries more than extra wind sprints? That's the only point I made. I really don't give a shit about whatever else you are droning on with ralphie about. Your assertion that this isn't really much of a punishment is entirely dumb IMO. It makes it very public. The entire team is impacted, the boosters and support staff are impacted. It is far more than whatever the coaches put you through. It is the ultimate punishment in many ways.