• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama to make "Big Run" at Gregg Marshall!!

douggie

Iron Duke
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,692.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During one of the games this past weekend they were talking about the SEC Commissioner telling the schools to get their act together (paraphrasing) for basketball since the SEC Network was going to be featuring a lot of basketball and they needed a better product.

This might be Alabama genuinely trying to get back to their former status in the SEC, or it could be a huge bluff to make it look like they are.

But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Marshall goes for it. The number I keep hearing is 7 years, 28 million. While it's possible he could get a better offer money-wise, I think it's unlikely. 28 Million is enough to completely secure the lives of your children, and probably their children. Not to mention Alabama does have a lot of resources, and despite the last 5 years, the SEC has actually been a pretty decent basketball conference.

Teams don't always have tournament success, but besides the obvious two of UK and UF, Tennessee an Vandy have both had pretty good teams in the last few years. MissSt. has been a really good program in the time I've followed cbb. Arkansas is another. LSU is another. Auburn and SoCar made coaching hires that show they at least care. Mizzou and A&M have both had success in the not to distant past. I don't think the SEC will have as many elite teams as the ACC, but I think they can have the depth and quality of recent iterations of the B1G/B12.

And that makes the Alabama job at least a little more intriguing than some people are saying.

Son-of-a-bitch! That's some real money there. To coach basketball at Alabama? At Alabama basketball is ranked somewhere like:

1)Football
2)Football Recruiting
3)National Signing Day
4)Juco Signing Day
5)Quiet Period for Recruiting
6)Juco Quiet Period for Recruiting
7)Strength and Agility Class for Football Players
8)Vespers for Football Team
9)Football Twitter Notes
10)Football Media Day
11)Fuck Auburn Day
12)Roll Tide anything other than basketball
13)Basketball

Good Gawd Almighty.

GoldRusher

Hoopla Cash
$ 768.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's leaving, he probably has his eyes on a big time program like Duke, Cuse, UNC, Michigan St, etc. And given the age of all those coaches, each one could be available over the course of the next 3 to 5 years.

I agree with this. I think Bama doesn't have its act together in the athletic dept. yet to make a solid hire in BB. I agree that its kind of a sleeping giant when it comes to hoops but Bama needs the RIGHT hire, not just a hot name from the "lesser" conferences. IMO hiring Marshall would be hiring what they just fired. I'd like to see Bama hire a coach from a P5 program or one that has coached recently at a P5. Missed a good hire in Howland imo ans MSU nabbed him. Personally I's like to see them hire Travis Ford from Okie State, I think he would be a nice fit in the SEC and could be the guy to take Bama to where they want to be.

Wild Turkey

Sarcasm: Just one of my many services.
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Four Appearances:

Kentucky 16 - 8 National Titles
Arkansas 6 - 1 National Title
Florida 6 - 2 National Titles
LSU 4
Miss State 1

Missouri has been to the Elite 8 four times.

Alabama has been to the Elite 8 once the same as Auburn and Vanderbilt. At best UA is the 7th most successful basketball program in the SEC and it isn't by much.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Four Appearances:

LSU 4
Miss State 1

Alabama has been to the Elite 8 once the same as Auburn and Vanderbilt. At best UA is the 7th most successful basketball program in the SEC and it isn't by much.
Only thing backing him up is SEC tournament championships. Bama is second with 6. And Florida is third.

Bama is third in regular season championships behind UK and LSU

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Four Appearances:

LSU 4
Miss State 1

Alabama has been to the Elite 8 once the same as Auburn, Tennessee and Vanderbilt. At best UA is the 7th most successful basketball program in the SEC and it isn't by much.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only thing backing him up is SEC tournament championships. Bama is second with 6. And Florida is third.

Bama is third in regular season championships behind UK and LSU
With league expansion regular season and SEC Championships aren't compatible you have to go to tournament success it is the only consistent measuring stick. To do anything else is delusional.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With league expansion regular season and SEC Championships aren't compatible you have to go to tournament success it is the only consistent measuring stick. To do anything else is delusional.

Using a one-and-done tournament known for it's unpredictable outcomes as the only measuring stick is fucking retarded. Yeah, it's the thing most teams are striving for, but it is inherently a poor indicator of how well a team has done overall and an utterly meaningless indicator in the context of how a team has performed within it's own conference.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Final Four Appearances:

LSU 4
Miss State 1

Using the NCAA tournament as the only measuring stick is stupid. Upsets and Cinderella stories happen all the time. Unfortunately Alabama is not as successful in the NCAA tourney as we would like to be. We have the 3rd most appearances ever without a Final Four.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using a one-and-done tournament known for it's unpredictable outcomes as the only measuring stick is fucking retarded. Yeah, it's the thing most teams are striving for, but it is inherently a poor indicator of how well a team has done overall and an utterly meaningless indicator in the context of how a team has performed within it's own conference.
The SEC has expanded twice and added 4 teams you can't compare all time conference wins under that scenario. For example if North Carolina had been added to the SEC when Texas A&M did they obviously would have fewer conference championships and conference wins in the SEC. Would it even be an argument that UNC is the better basketball school? No.

The only measuring stick we has overall advancement in the tournament even if it is flawed. Alabama is not historically a better basketball school then Arkansas and I don't even think that is an argument.

I wouldn't put them above LSU who has been over an above better than Alabama the last 20 years and that isn't an argument.

To claim Alabama is the 3rd best basketball school in the SEC is ridiculous.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Using the NCAA tournament as the only measuring stick is stupid. Upsets and Cinderella stories happen all the time. Unfortunately Alabama is not as successful in the NCAA tourney as we would like to be. We have the 3rd most appearances ever without a Final Four.
Lol we was 3rd most appearances without a Final 4 but since Grant got there we have dropped to 6th

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The SEC has expanded twice and added 4 teams you can't compare all time conference wins under that scenario. For example if North Carolina had been added to the SEC when Texas A&M did they obviously would have fewer conference championships and conference wins in the SEC. Would it even be an argument that UNC is the better basketball school? No.

The only measuring stick we has overall advancement in the tournament even if it is flawed. Alabama is not historically a better basketball school then Arkansas and I don't even think that is an argument.

I wouldn't put them above LSU who has been over an above better than Alabama the last 20 years and that isn't an argument.

To claim Alabama is the 3rd best basketball school in the SEC is ridiculous.

I don't think Bama is the 3rd best program (historically) in the SEC either, but pointing to NCAA tournemtn success is utterly meaningless.

If you want to compare SEC teams, you can look at what each team has done in the SEC, as it is still way more meaningful than the NCAA tournament. When was the last time two SEC teams played against each other in the NCAA tournament? The NCAA is a terrible barometer. Do you really believe that WVU and OU were the best teams in the Big12 this year?

I agree that simply counting all time conference titles is a bad way to do it, but what you're suggesting is way, way worse.

Wild Turkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think Bama is the 3rd best program (historically) in the SEC either, but pointing to NCAA tournemtn success is utterly meaningless.

If you want to compare SEC teams, you can look at what each team has done in the SEC, as it is still way more meaningful than the NCAA tournament. When was the last time two SEC teams played against each other in the NCAA tournament? The NCAA is a terrible barometer. Do you really believe that WVU and OU were the best teams in the Big12 this year?

I agree that simply counting all time conference titles is a bad way to do it, but what you're suggesting is way, way worse.
You can't base it off any conference records Arkansas proves that so give me a viable alternative.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't base it off any conference records Arkansas proves that so give me a viable alternative.

Actually no. Conference record is the most meaningful stat. Conference titles is bad because it only indicates the best team, and counts 2nd-last place the same. Conference record gives you a good overall picture of how a team performed relative to the other teams in the conference.

NCAA tournament record gives no indication whatsoever of how two teams fared in their conference. None. Zero. Zip. Zilch. It is utterly meaningless in every conceivable way.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3