• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Alabama to make "Big Run" at Gregg Marshall!!

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alabama would probably pay him more per year, but how long would the job last. I'm not sure that just bringing in a good coach would vault Alabama into annual contender status. They certainly won't overtake Kentucky, or probably Florida in the SEC, and after a few years people will wonder why they pay Marshall so much money. He can stay at Wichita St and beat up on a weak conference for the rest of his career, or until the real juicy job offer comes up.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Money isn't everything. I wouldn't leave for Alabama if I were in his spot

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Marshall I wouldn't take it. Don't leave a good thing in Wichita St.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I'm Marshall I wouldn't take it. Don't leave a good thing in Wichita St.

Exactly. Alabama doesn't open doors for him. The opportunities Alabama offers are no different than the things he is already accomplishing at Wichita St. Plus his family is happy, he's on cruise control into the hall of fame, and it would almost be a risk for him to take on another challenge.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would absolutely take it. I mean he's more than doubling his salary and the SEC is a conference you can come in right away and get into the top 5 of the conference. You do that, you're generally going to make the NCAA Tournament. Plus Alabama has a great athletic department and great facilities. Who in their right mind would turn down a 7 year contract worth 28 million? That is ALOT of money.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wichita State is a better job right now, but in the SEC you will have a chance to compete with Calipari every year and plus you would more than double your salary. But Alabama is not a terrible basketball school. Historically we are the 2nd best program in SEC history(behind Kentucky), we have the 2nd most Wins all time in the SEC and the 2nd most SEC championships. We have a winning record all-time against every other SEC school except Kentucky. We were a good basketball school until we bailed out on Mark Gottfried(too early IMO).

Oh and Bill Battle is suppose to have Nick Saban meet with Marshall about the job.

Reactions: 006

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if im a highly touted coach im waiting for a job that when u walk in u can easily be a top 3 program in your conference

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Wichita State is a better job right now, but in the SEC you will have a chance to compete with Calipari every year and plus you would more than double your salary. But Alabama is not a terrible basketball school. Historically we are the 2nd best program in SEC history(behind Kentucky), we have the 2nd most Wins all time in the SEC and the 2nd most SEC championships. We have a winning record all-time against every other SEC school except Kentucky. We were a good basketball school until we bailed out on Mark Gottfried(too early IMO).

Oh and Bill Battle is suppose to have Nick Saban meet with Marshall about the job.

But when he's recruiting, history only helps so much. Alabama could be the second best program in the SEC, historically, however; it's not a big deal. 17 year olds aren't going to care. It's not like Alabama is a historical program. It's just another football school with a mediocre basketball team. The history at Alabama isn't going to bring in recruits. The history at UNC doesn't even bring in recruits. The ONLY benefit of Alabama over Wichita is the money and the fact that we don't know if he'll be able to reload at Wichita, it seems like he's had the same core group of players during his success at Wichita. But I could be wrong about that, I'm no expert.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But when he's recruiting, history only helps so much. Alabama could be the second best program in the SEC, historically, however; it's not a big deal. 17 year olds aren't going to care. It's not like Alabama is a historical program. It's just another football school with a mediocre basketball team. The history at Alabama isn't going to bring in recruits. The history at UNC doesn't even bring in recruits. The ONLY benefit of Alabama over Wichita is the money and the fact that we don't know if he'll be able to reload at Wichita, it seems like he's had the same core group of players during his success at Wichita. But I could be wrong about that, I'm no expert.

Yea, but dont you think Marshall has built up a big enough name that he will be able to recruit well no matter where he is at? Marshall is fresh on the minds of all 17 year olds because of his recent sucess.
Plus paired with the top notch facilities Bama provides and the fact that next year will be a rebuilding year at Wichita State, I think it is perfect timing.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if im a highly touted coach im waiting for a job that when u walk in u can easily be a top 3 program in your conference

He will be at BAma. UK, FLorida, And BAma are the top 3 SEC programs.

uncfan103

Not Banned
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,333.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, but dont you think Marshall has built up a big enough name that he will be able to recruit well no matter where he is at? Marshall is fresh on the minds of all 17 year olds because of his recent sucess.
Plus paired with the top notch facilities Bama provides and the fact that next year will be a rebuilding year at Wichita State, I think it is perfect timing.

He could recruit well anywhere but we haven't seen his ability to take a 5 star player and turn him into an NBA player. He's not John Calipari and he doesn't have the connections Coach K has so no, I don't think he could recruit as well as either of them. At least not yet. Wichita has two seniors, I feel like they're probably in better position next year with Marshall than Alabama would be with him. It just comes down to how much that money would mean to him and if it would be worth it to his family. I don't think the job is enough of an upgrade.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think waiting is the best policy. Something way better is going to open up in the next few years.

ralphiewvu

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,751.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LOL what the hell is Saban going to do to bring him? Show him his NC rings furthering the idea that gumpville is a football school.

If Marshall's smart he plays bama to get a larger salary at WSU then waits for Self to retire and takes over Kansas.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Forbes Alabama Basketball is the 14th most valuable College Basketball program. We get beat up because of how we have been the last couple of years but before that we were regularly in the NCAA tournament and you can win here if you are the right guy.

How good a job is the Alabama basketball coaching gig? Perhaps better than many of us think.

Alabama is a surprising 14th in a recent Forbes magazine ranking of college basketball's most valuable teams, placing the Crimson Tide third in the SEC behind only Kentucky and Tennessee.

Forbes put Alabama's team value at $12.3 million, rising 41 percent in the last year with $15 million in revenue and a profit of $8.2 million.

"Alabama's athletic department is one of the biggest contributors to academic programming, annually sending upwards of $6 million to university initiatives," Forbes' Chris Smith wrote of the Crimson Tide. "The basketball team has been succeeding financially despite the poor on-court performance; the Tide haven't been in the NCAA Tournament since 2012, a pitiful streak that recently cost head coach Anthony Grant his job."

Forbes' calculations are based on ticket sales, game-day revenue, NCAA and conference distributions, expenses and other financial data from the 2013-14 season, utilizing a "weighted methodology" that places emphasis on the money each team generates for its athletic department, its university and its conference.

Kentucky, perhaps surprisingly, was not No. 1. The Wildcats, who have a chance to become the first undefeated NCAA hoops champion since Indiana in 1976, have a legion of fans known as Big Blue Nation and essentially carry the SEC's basketball fortunes many years, but placed third in Forbes' ranking as the program's value decreased 3 percent this year to $31.5 million thanks to increased expenses from a run to last year's NCAA tourney final.

No. 1 was Kentucky's in-state rival, Louisville, whose program was judged to be worth $38.3 million, with Kansas second at $35.4 million. Arizona and North Carolina rounded out the top five.

Other SEC teams making the top 20 were Tennessee (11th, $18.7 million), Arkansas (17th, $11.6 million) and Missouri (20th, $10.9 million).

Of course, there are many other factors that go into how attractive a job might be for a prospective coach, including recruiting base, facilities, conference strength, and support from the administration.

How do all those stack up at Alabama? Perhaps it will be up to Gregg Marshall or another up-and-coming coaching candidate to tell us.

wildturkey

Hoopla Cash
$ 98,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he blow off UCLA a couple of years ago (or some other name program)? I just seem to remember him being adamant, almost combative that Wichita St was the place for him. I can't see him going to Bama after doing that. If he's leaving, he probably has his eyes on a big time program like Duke, Cuse, UNC, Michigan St, etc. And given the age of all those coaches, each one could be available over the course of the next 3 to 5 years.

Mistaken4193

REGISTERED GUMP!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 142.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't he blow off UCLA a couple of years ago (or some other name program)? I can't see him going to Bama after doing that. If he's leaving, he probably has his eyes on a big time program like Duke, Cuse, UNC, Michigan St, etc. And given the age of all those coaches, each one could be available over the course of the next 3 to 5 years.

He has expressed interest in talking to Alabama. Has had his agent do research on our program. I give it about a 40% chance of Happening.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He might go for it, like you said, he has expressed interest.

But I think he would do better to wait. I'm sure that better programs have courted similar coaches. With all of the coaching positions opening up in the 5 years to come, he might be on the short list of some more prestigious schools than Bama.

If he continues to make Wichita State a mainstay in the dance and getting out of the first weekend, then in the next 5 years he could get some really good offers.

TrollyMcTroller

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
During one of the games this past weekend they were talking about the SEC Commissioner telling the schools to get their act together (paraphrasing) for basketball since the SEC Network was going to be featuring a lot of basketball and they needed a better product.

This might be Alabama genuinely trying to get back to their former status in the SEC, or it could be a huge bluff to make it look like they are.

But I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Marshall goes for it. The number I keep hearing is 7 years, 28 million. While it's possible he could get a better offer money-wise, I think it's unlikely. 28 Million is enough to completely secure the lives of your children, and probably their children. Not to mention Alabama does have a lot of resources, and despite the last 5 years, the SEC has actually been a pretty decent basketball conference.

Teams don't always have tournament success, but besides the obvious two of UK and UF, Tennessee an Vandy have both had pretty good teams in the last few years. MissSt. has been a really good program in the time I've followed cbb. Arkansas is another. LSU is another. Auburn and SoCar made coaching hires that show they at least care. Mizzou and A&M have both had success in the not to distant past. I don't think the SEC will have as many elite teams as the ACC, but I think they can have the depth and quality of recent iterations of the B1G/B12.

And that makes the Alabama job at least a little more intriguing than some people are saying.