• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish for 2014 is we get passed this bullshit hatred and get back to loving baseball, I might be drunk but dammit baseball is the greatest sport on the planet and we all want our team to win it all. I find myself as a Twins fan even rooting for the Tigers come playoff time just because I want our division to be the best there is! Okay back to the fighting...

:suds:

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if you want some fun, go to NFL threads, specifically...It don't mean a thing if you ain't got that ring. now apply the Tigers to it, fits rather well...even the comments against the Seahawks fans fits well also..its actually pretty funny to do when I was reading it....get a ring and DD is great and the Tigers are great, until then...the tigers are good and DD is good.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My wish for 2014 is we get passed this bullshit hatred and get back to loving baseball, I might be drunk but dammit baseball is the greatest sport on the planet and we all want our team to win it all. I find myself as a Twins fan even rooting for the Tigers come playoff time just because I want our division to be the best there is! Okay back to the fighting...

I agree and actually WANT the Tigers to get 2 quality RP and shore up their bench (for Hunter, Vmart, Nathan) by getting rid of Coke, AA, Kelly, Santiago...their rest of the team should be fine to get them to the playoffs again...just listening to the "weakest division in baseball" for the last 3 years is enough, I am ok with the Tigers winning a WS but they can't if they don't address their weakest links and its the cheapest part of the roster so no excuses and like it or not their window is indeed closing, Miggy can't win a TC and MVP every year and SPs can't win Cy Young's every year...to have the MVP and CY Youngs 2 years in a row on the same team and NOT win a ring is utterly amazing and partly ridiculous, means the stars aren't the problem the weakest links are. Either the Tigers need to step up or they are going to get knocked off, winning the AL central seems to be their only goal...thats alot of money to win division titles with no challengers the last 3 years, they got challenged by the Sox and folded, Sox won a WS...let the Indians or Royals play in the playoffs and see what kind of run they put up. Maybe a more hungry team is whats need for a WS ring not a team getting bored with winning AL Central titles and not rings...either way an AL Central team needs to win a ring to shut some people up, at this point does it matter who, actually would find the White Sox winning the most improbably but maybe Abrue is all he is touted about

I get to focus on another team once we have a better season than the tigers, until then have to keep the eye on the goal and know whats in the rear view mirror (twins have the best storm brewing over the Indians/White Sox as of now)....just got to keep tappin the bumper so they know whos right behind them and trying to figure out how to sling shot past.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NO Miller, Maybin, Turner, Ruffin stayed Miller, Maybin, Turner and Ruffin...lol...thats who the TIgers evaluated and picked, developed, whatever....(on my list I forgot W Myers, just thought of him)....and they GAVE up on to get pending FA's before they became FA's because they could afford more expensive options.

So any prospect that is traded away -- the team GAVE up on them? Does that make sense to you? Are you saying the Royals gave up on Wil Meyers? Or did they have to trade value to get value?

And once again -- if you look at the deals made by Dombrowski -- he makes deals for players under team control for multiple years. When these players come to Detroit, with the exception of Anibal Sanchez -- they were all under team control for multiple years. That is why Detroit could have a starting rotation like they had, because pitcher's like Scherzer and Fister were under team control, instead of making big money. Austin Jackson is under team control for two more years still.

Detroit doesn't make deals for expiring contracts -- Sanchez and Infante is the only deal who could fit that bill. They had Infante for 2 years and re-signed Sanchez. The rest of the trades -- Detroit had the players under team control for at least 3 years and most were 4 or 5 years. That is what made the trades so good for Detroit.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
by the way, your wrong......every team in MLB does NOT have the same opportunity to trade for players from another team...but nice try.

Actually -- I am right. Every team DOES have the same opportunity to trade for players from another team. Whether they do so or not is their own choice. Last I checked -- there isn't a rule that states one team can't trade with another team.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Verlander surgery. hopefully he can recover by the start of the season.

will be hard. I just went through surgery on my stomach. a hernia. hurts just to breath.
had to put off pleasing woman for a little while. they are heart broken.
iam sure verlander can recover to his greatness.
because he has HEART

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about that Michigan basketball team? nice win over the corn huskers. held on strong to win it.
HEART! also with a new off cord. at the big house next year....can we start talking Hiesman for garnder??????

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually -- I am right. Every team DOES have the same opportunity to trade for players from another team. Whether they do so or not is their own choice. Last I checked -- there isn't a rule that states one team can't trade with another team.

I guess thats true but being realistic not every team really does have the same opportunity to trade for any player in the game, the White Sox major league team sucks and so do their prospects so they really couldn't go out and trade for Mike Trout if they wanted too.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You sure about that? Detroit's OF is below average. Trout owns the Tigers (and yes, is roughly the same as the Royals... haha)

trout owns the Tigers??? when till August? then he goes into his yearly late turtle dive??? maybe when he gets his team into there first play off game ever...you can even concider him worthy of picking up miggys bats and handing them to the bat boy

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

will be hard. I just went through surgery on my stomach. a hernia. hurts just to breath.
because he has HEART

I didn't realize imaginary women had feelings...

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ooo yea. they want me to recover... the longing for me is becoming to long... (that's what she said).

good thing I have a high threshold of pain. and a good doctor supplied script of vics

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trout owns the Tigers??? when till August? then he goes into his yearly late turtle dive??? maybe when he gets his team into there first play off game ever...you can even concider him worthy of picking up miggys bats and handing them to the bat boy

Oh? You want me to start trolling? I don't think anyone wants me to do that on this thread for about 1

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So any prospect that is traded away -- the team GAVE up on them? Does that make sense to you? Are you saying the Royals gave up on Wil Meyers? Or did they have to trade value to get value?

And once again -- if you look at the deals made by Dombrowski -- he makes deals for players under team control for multiple years. When these players come to Detroit, with the exception of Anibal Sanchez -- they were all under team control for multiple years. That is why Detroit could have a starting rotation like they had, because pitcher's like Scherzer and Fister were under team control, instead of making big money. Austin Jackson is under team control for two more years still.

Detroit doesn't make deals for expiring contracts -- Sanchez and Infante is the only deal who could fit that bill. They had Infante for 2 years and re-signed Sanchez. The rest of the trades -- Detroit had the players under team control for at least 3 years and most were 4 or 5 years. That is what made the trades so good for Detroit.

dude, you really don't get it...the Royals drafted and developed Myers, yes they gave up on him for another player since they thought Myers could NOT help them win games, thats what trading is.....they don't get credit for James Shields, they are willing to PAY for James Shields to help them win games....does that help you....Myers STAYS Myers

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Your wrong and you know it, stop avoiding reality....when I see the Yankees, Red Sox, LAA, LAD, TEX, DET...trade big names and big contracts to teams like KC, Oak, TB, Min, any small market teams then I will agree with you...but since it hasn't happened in almost 20 years...I will wait to correct myself.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

because he has HEART

Saw that Verlander had surgery, now him and Miggy both coming off surgery...who's next.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dude, you really don't get it...the Royals drafted and developed Myers, yes they gave up on him for another player since they thought Myers could NOT help them win games, thats what trading is.....they don't get credit for James Shields, they are willing to PAY for James Shields to help them win games....does that help you....Myers STAYS Myers

Just as Detroit drafted and developed every player they have traded away. The part where you are dead wrong is -- Just because a player is traded away, DOES NOT mean the team doesn't feel they can help the team win games. You don't think a player like Will Meyers would help KC win games? Or you think Detroit wanted to trade away Avisail Garcia or Jacob Turner? When Detroit traded away Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin -- they were both top 10 prospects in the minors.

You have to trade value to get value.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just as Detroit drafted and developed every player they have traded away. The part where you are dead wrong is -- Just because a player is traded away, DOES NOT mean the team doesn't feel they can help the team win games. You don't think a player like Will Meyers would help KC win games? Or you think Detroit wanted to trade away Avisail Garcia or Jacob Turner? When Detroit traded away Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin -- they were both top 10 prospects in the minors.

You have to trade value to get value.

Royals would not have won more games in 13 with will myers, maybe not 14, but after Shields leaves, sure..

Garcia, yes, tigers would win more by not trading him and signing a defensive SS. Too much value to give up.

Miller/Maybin/Turner - Yes the TIgers wanted to trade all 3 of them for the players they were going to get any GM would have wanted to trade them..and no the tigers would not have won more games had they kept any of them and the team they went to did not expect to win more games recieving them, they expected to save money....difference between a baseball value for baseball value trade and just selling players because you can't afford them. so those 3 go completely against your "dead wrong" theory.

Watched the Royals do it with Damon, Dye, Beltran...and nobody gives you value for them when you know you can't keep them anyway. May have got a bit lucky with Grienke but still not what a Cy Young pitcher should have brought in a trade, Escobar and Cain? do you think that was fair value? When your in a position of weakness, without the possibility of keeping the player, you will not get value for them. Stop by a pawn shop, think they got value for their stuff.

I understand you see all this from a large payroll perspective and I see it from a small payroll perpective, I am frustrated that the Royals can't just go trade for guys like Miggy, Sanchez, Kinsler...it just won't happen again in my lifetime but do see the large payroll teams ability to have leverage in getting those type of players. The rich get richer cycle, Detroit can make those type of trades because they can afford them...if you take money out of the equation and use just baseball stats, not one GM would have made those trades with the Tigers...except Seattle, Washington and the White Sox.

bottom line, is it doesn't really matter, the Tigers ability to trade is completely different than the Royals and always will be. The Tigers ability to sign players is completely different than the Royals...if we want to compare money, then you compare how much team salary per win each season. Are the Tigers winning twice as many games as the Royals if their payroll is twice as much?

If you want to compare DD/Tigers to a GM then it has to be among his peers...that would mean say top 8 salaries in baseball..and like I said, only the Dodgers and Tigers haven't got a ring out of the Top 8 salaried teams in DD's tenor. DD is definately getting some steal trades before the other big boys get them, props to him for that.

The tigers even have had the ability to give out higher signing bonuses to fill out their minor leagues as well as go for more forgein players but the minor leagues are bare of these...odd really

I actually hope you never have to understand it from a small market view and wish I didn't have to either.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually hope you never have to understand it from a small market view and wish I didn't have to either.

I would like to thank you for that last post and explaining exactly what you meant. I can respect your view when you explain it like you did.

In the end though -- when you trade away an unproven commodity -- you never know what you are going to get in return. It doesn't matter what a player does in the minors, until they do it at the MLB level it means nothing.

Some players make the jump and excel at the MLB level -- some players never live up to the hype. As I said -- when Detroit traded away Cameron Maybin and Andrew Miller -- they were considered elite blue chip prospects. If they become those players at the MLB level -- Miami does extremely well in the deal and Detroit gave up young talent they would have had under team control for many years.

That is where Dombrowski has been unbelievable for Detroit. Trading for MLB talent with multiple years of team control. Not every player has worked out -- I HATE phil coke and the left handed reliever they received from the D-Backs in the Granderson trade. Of course, AJax and Scherzer have done well for us.

No trade comes without taking risks though -- Detroit traded away their best pitching prospect in Jacob Turner to get Anibal Sanchez, but Sanchez could have left at the end of the year. This is where it helps Detroit, because they have the financial flexibility to sign that type of player to an extension. It also helps that Dombrowski hasn't handed out any bad contracts yet.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another surelock from Dougy, is wrong.

Seahawks beat the Saints.