• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Twins add Molitor to coaching staff!!! Will have Rons job soon enough!!!

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the fascination with Leyland from some Tigers fans. Shit, we have Yost in KC, and I don't complain that much. The reality is that managers usually don't cause a whole lot of damage to the team typically. The Tigers didn't need to move their lineup hardly at all ( Playoffs may be an exception) and the Bullpen with Veras, no Valverde, and Rondon became serviceable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't get the fascination with Leyland from some Tigers fans. Shit, we have Yost in KC, and I don't complain that much. The reality is that managers usually don't cause a whole lot of damage to the team typically. The Tigers didn't need to move their lineup hardly at all ( Playoffs may be an exception) and the Bullpen with Veras, no Valverde, and Rondon became serviceable.

Fascination with Leyland by Tiger fans....???? Several reasons, I'm guessing. Start with latent distrust of anything or anyone representing leadership (i.e. - bosses, management, teachers, politicians). Over-identification with players (workers, flunkies like them) who they see as possessing 'God-given' tools. Add the idiotic reasoning that they can out-manage any MLB manager because all a manager does is sit around and think and has athletic skills no better than theirs. ("Hey, I can do that!")

Now don't forget some other basic influences. Mob mentality!. This Tiger board has united around several people who have nailed their banner to a Fire Leyland movement. (The anti-Iffy influence is big here). This small group of scapegoat finders pinned their reputations on JL being the cause of all problems...and they could not reverse their course without looking stupid....although Lions=Sucks made an attempt.

:laugh3: So much for psycho-babble today. The real reason for some Tigers fans hatred for Leyland is simply that the world has changed into a very negative and hateful place and our goal seems to be to find someone to blame for any or all misfortunes that come our way.

:lame:?????

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
how about Leyland sticking with raburn way to long??
or Inge????

or Coke???? made me puke about Inge and raburn

Funny thing about Raburn - he became a new player here in Cleveland. Change of scenery often works

CaptO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for psycho-babble today. The real reason for some Tigers fans hatred for Leyland is simply that the world has changed into a very negative and hateful place and our goal seems to be to find someone to blame for any or all misfortunes that come our way.

:suds:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DD job was on the line to.

ithink players tuned out Leyland.
you saw how he let raburn and inge gail for over a year.
that hurt this team.... it got to the point the fans were booing so hard before even address the issue.

he was living in a dream land

Youre crazy if you think DD's job was on the line.....only way is if he becomes the commish

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone has a fascination with leyland and tiger fans.....

I for one am glad to see leyland go.....the game has passed him by.....too loyal....doesnt know how to manage a bullpen......why bring in your BEST lefty to face elsbury with only one man on in a 5-1 game? With big papi 3 batters away.....once papi came up REPRESENTING the tying run, the tigers had no lefty but coke available......big papi has had great swings vs benoit his whole career.....leyland blew game 2.......a 2-0 lead going home would of changed everything.

Brad ausmus will get the job......im cool with that......catchers make great managers.....wouldnt mind getting scioscia.....we need a manager to push these guys and put plays on like hit and runs, or bunting players over to stay out of the DP. the DP was the tiger killer this year.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As to say tiger fans always blame the manager?

I remember alot of fans sticking by trammell, parrish, and sparky through their bad years.......hell i even seen some people think tram should get a 2nd shot. Never heard fans call for their heads the way they have for jimmys. Jimmy was a good manager, but hes not the man for THIS team.

Give me ausmus or brookens.

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Youre crazy if you think DD's job was on the line.....only way is if he becomes the commish

I don't think DD's job was ever on the line - and won't be as long as PizzaBoyII is alive.

But the question is still out there...If Leyland was so lousy as a manager, why didn't DD get rid of him? According to several Tiger fans here, JL was dragging the team down, and had been for several years. Wouldn't it follow that DD is at least partly to blame because he did nothing about the "Leyland and his coaches" problem? And, to take it one step farther...if DD did NOT recognize the Leyland was a liability (as you and others stated over and over), should he be trusted hiring a new manager?

:scratch:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey?

Hows marquettes hoop team looking for this year?

Im ready for sparty to start....going to the nov 12 vs kentucky at the UC. expensive ass tickets. Sparty gotta make the final 4 to keep izzos streak alive.....every 4 yr player under izzo has played in a FF.......cant wait for payne to dunk on scUM's mcgoofy.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think DD's job was ever on the line - and won't be as long as PizzaBoyII is alive.

But the question is still out there...If Leyland was so lousy as a manager, why didn't DD get rid of him? According to several Tiger fans here, JL was dragging the team down, and had been for several years. Wouldn't it follow that DD is at least partly to blame because he did nothing about the "Leyland and his coaches" problem? And, to take it one step farther...if DD did NOT recognize the Leyland was a liability (as you and others stated over and over), should he be trusted hiring a new manager?

:scratch:

What was he gonna do? Fire him midseason? If you think leyland stepping down was all his idea.....then your most likely wrong.....this year was leylands win it all or else year.....he got this long because he got the tigers to the playoffs 4 times. We will soon find out if leyland held the team back. No more crazy lineups......no more raturds and inges in the lineup every other day...maybe someone who will know how to use a below average BP.

I understand u love leyland, but when teams dont win, it falls back on the manager.....especially teams built to win.....didnt dusty baker get canned? More than once?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Puzzled that Leyland made all those stupid moves....for years, as some say...and DD put up with it. Dombrowski is good a making trades, but perhaps he does not recognize good baseball managerial skills? If so many Tiger fans saw the abundant short comings of JL (and staff)...WHY DIDN"T Dombrowski? Was he covering for a friend?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cleaves...you and others here have wanted Leyland gone for several years. You all stated your cases as why you believe JL should have been fired. This is not, and never was, a ''this year'' thing with you and the clique. What I am saying is this....If average baseball fans like you and your pals can (and did) see that JL was no good....doesn't it follow that DD was somewhat at fault for not acting sooner?

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW...I think it's the Free Press who is saying Lloyd Mac and Dusty Baker are the two leading candidates (currently) for the manager's spot. Not much of a change if either one of those two are hired. But it would make sense for a Detroit team to hire a Black manager. IMO

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The betting site has ausmus the favorite at 4-1 according to mlive.....dusty is waaaaaay down the line. Brookens is 5-1

Ronnie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Free Press is going under the assumption that DD wants managerial experience - as he stated Monday. If he isn't blowing smoke...that leaves Ausmus and Brookens out.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hockey?

Hows marquettes hoop team looking for this year?

Im ready for sparty to start....going to the nov 12 vs kentucky at the UC. expensive ass tickets. Sparty gotta make the final 4 to keep izzos streak alive.....every 4 yr player under izzo has played in a FF.......cant wait for payne to dunk on scUM's mcgoofy.

Sparty is gonna be sick and has some big games early.

MU in April was a unanimous top10 before blue was ill advised and left early. Were 17 now but as most know Buzz teams usually start unranked and end up close to top 10 by years end.

Gardner and otule will be a two headed monster and hearing Gardner slimmed down enough to play em together. Jamil Wilson is back and is the usual guy who makes the leap under buzz(butler, Matthews, crowder)

Top 10 recruiting class but McKay just transferred because were stacked up front and he's a JUCO junior. Top PG Duane Wilson fractured his leg so he may be out til conference play.

There will be kinks with guard play early but were big upfront so hopefully JuJuan Johnson(rave reviews out of camp) and Todd mayo(oj around town this year) will hold it down with no Wilson.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hitting coach?

Nope. Over seeing everything like infield and base running while helping with in game decisions(Ron needs help).

Best news ever. Someone to help the monkey, shows Ron is on short leash with a baby sitter. Will be Pauls gig soon.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh, I just figured it'd be hitting. Ron get a one year extension? I was caught up watching Leylands managerial death throws, didn't catch the details.