• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV and Miggy were extended at the top end of their respective positions, they got paid...had a little to do with wanting to stay in Detroit ......if the Yankees, Angels, LAD, Tex offered the same amount, sure why not stay with Detroit, odds are about the same to win a WS.

Would FA's sign with Oakland or Pitt for Less, because of "an opportunity" to compete for division titles and the WS....hell no and haven't, they want to get PAID...has VERY little to do beyond that.

JV didn't even wait till the end of his contract and signed an extension with Detroit. Miguel Cabrera didn't even wait till the end of his contract after we traded for him and he signed an extension with Detroit. Winning makes it much easier to sign your own players and FA's. Torii Hunter made one visit in FA -- the 1st day of FA, he came to see Detroit and signed with them.

Detroit was terrible up until Illitch opened his wallet and had to overpay for a couple FA's who turned out to be solid players and helped turn the franchise around. One was Magglio Ordonez. The other was Pudge Rodriguez. Detroit had to offer them more than anyone else, because Detroit wasn't a winning franchise. THAT is what KC is going to have to do to bring in a quality FA.

If KC can get a couple quality FA's to sign with them and the franchise starts winning on a regular basis, it makes it much easier to re-sign your own players or get FA to come and talk to you.

Of course, if you empty the bank for a FA -- they will go wherever. The really good teams are able to sign players by offering comparable contracts though (unless you are NY who bids against themselves over and over for aging stars on their own team).

KC also needs to start making some deals to bring in proven talent and using their minor leaguers as trading chips. A prospect is only good if he performs up to his capabilities once he gets to the MLB. If you look what Detroit has collected in talent and what they gave up in return, it is unbelievable. We have traded away "prospects", including "can't miss prospects" and received in return, Scherzer, Fister, Sanchez, Miguel Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Omar Infante, Austin Jackson, Jose Iglesias, etc.

That is why I laugh at people when they say -- well Detroit can't draft because they don't have a lot of their own picks on the team. What Detroit does is draft power arms and then trade them away for proven talent. Without the deals made by Dombrowski -- Detroit would be sitting in the basement of the AL Central.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit was terrible up until Illitch opened his wallet and had to overpay for a couple FA's who turned out to be solid players and helped turn the franchise around. One was Magglio Ordonez. The other was Pudge Rodriguez. Detroit had to offer them more than anyone else, because Detroit wasn't a winning franchise.

It was actually Pudge first, in 2004 -- yes, the year after the Tigers set the AL record for losses. DD convinced Mr. I to open his wallet big, because there was no other way FA's were even going to consider Detroit after (at that time) 10 straight losing seasons. Then it was Magglio and Troy Percival (a bust) in 2005. After the run to the WS in 2006, the Tigers looked more appealing and it was pretty well known that Mr. I would pay for talent.

That is why I laugh at people when they say -- well Detroit can't draft because they don't have a lot of their own picks on the team. What Detroit does is draft power arms and then trade them away for proven talent. Without the deals made by Dombrowski -- Detroit would be sitting in the basement of the AL Central.

Yep, and that tends to fall on deaf ears. Much of this team's top talent came by way of trades, not free agent signings. And most of those trades (the Granderson deal being the notable exception) involved Tigers prospects being dealt for major league talent. Yes, Mr. I will spend money, but don't discount the shrewdness of Dombrowski.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Fernando Vina. He was hurt for most of the time he was in Detroit. But he was a legit ball player. May never have had the chance to bring other veteran FAs in if Mr. I and DD hadn't overspent on Vina.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget Fernando Vina. He was hurt for most of the time he was in Detroit. But he was a legit ball player. May never have had the chance to bring other veteran FAs in if Mr. I and DD hadn't overspent on Vina.

Wow i forgot about him....he barely played for us and next thing you know, he was on the TV with a new job.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was only 6 mil. And he did actually play in about 30 games....so prolly a little less a game than JV. :)

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well i guess 6 mil 10 yrs ago would be like 8-10 mil now days:noidea:

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iam very surprised with the Indians. they hung tough and stayed in the race for the WC.

earlier this year. some tribe fans were about to give up. I reminded them. the Indians are resilent team. he wasn't over yet. they proved that right.

even though I liked the Indians last year manager.. francona has made them better.

all that said... loved to face the Indians in the play offs. we own them this year.. and last year.

That's why you said they would fall apart the second half. Quit talking outta your ass Douggie...nobody believes the shit that comes outta your mouth.

Btw...Rays have a damn good starting 5

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuns fans are pretty pathetic Shane. No offense to you. Nobody goes to games at all anymore. And a lot of em even threw in the towel on-line. Gotta be hard for Tito to stomach all those empty seats after spending so many years in Boston.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers win 3rd straight Central title...
Scherzer pitches his ass off..clinches Cy Young.
Iam worried about Miggy. he is still hurt and it seems it will affect his play in the p[ost season.

Our starting pitching staff has to continue to as good as they have been all year.

no other team can send out as good as 5 we have. 2 will be in bull pen for the play offs. it just might all work out... Miggy needs to rest the next 3 games!!!

Congrats Tigers on winning the AL West, it really wasn't a doubt this year.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
JV didn't even wait till the end of his contract and signed an extension with Detroit. Miguel Cabrera didn't even wait till the end of his contract after we traded for him and he signed an extension with Detroit. Winning makes it much easier to sign your own players and FA's. Torii Hunter made one visit in FA -- the 1st day of FA, he came to see Detroit and signed with them.

Detroit was terrible up until Illitch opened his wallet and had to overpay for a couple FA's who turned out to be solid players and helped turn the franchise around. One was Magglio Ordonez. The other was Pudge Rodriguez. Detroit had to offer them more than anyone else, because Detroit wasn't a winning franchise. THAT is what KC is going to have to do to bring in a quality FA.

If KC can get a couple quality FA's to sign with them and the franchise starts winning on a regular basis, it makes it much easier to re-sign your own players or get FA to come and talk to you.

Of course, if you empty the bank for a FA -- they will go wherever. The really good teams are able to sign players by offering comparable contracts though (unless you are NY who bids against themselves over and over for aging stars on their own team).

KC also needs to start making some deals to bring in proven talent and using their minor leaguers as trading chips. A prospect is only good if he performs up to his capabilities once he gets to the MLB. If you look what Detroit has collected in talent and what they gave up in return, it is unbelievable. We have traded away "prospects", including "can't miss prospects" and received in return, Scherzer, Fister, Sanchez, Miguel Cabrera, Jhonny Peralta, Omar Infante, Austin Jackson, Jose Iglesias, etc.

I didn't say they "waited til the end of their contracts"...both of them absolutely got top dollar for their respective positions. If they were not offered top end money, they don't resign...they wait until the end of their contracts, play the FA card against the "team", even test the open market to force "the team" to pay top end money, its not rocket science and been done in the majors for decades now...its about money...there are plenty of opportunities (teams) to "compete for a title" when you are Miggy and JV...in their primes.

You may be correct about Detroit trading away percieved power arms, but even the pitchers they trade away haven't amounted to crap.....so Detroit sure can "trade" but drafting is another topic.

The Royals are doing it more like the Indians of the 90's.....They extended Gordon, Butler, Perez, Escobar...Signed Chen as FA tecnically and traded for Guthrie (anyone can say what they want, 15 wins with a 4 era puts him more effective than quite a few pitchers), Shields, roll players Davis, Emilio, Maxwell....extended Guthrie....pray they will work on Shields with the money they free up after this year, which for them is quite a lot....and able to trade for 2 players under contract or sign a FA...either way its getting the two players that could impact the team....1 bat and 1 SP and I for one will be happy. (a 30+ , proven bat that keep them balanced like Guthrie can the pitching would be huge)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You may be correct about Detroit trading away percieved power arms, but even the pitchers they trade away haven't amounted to crap.....so Detroit sure can "trade" but drafting is another topic.

What happens to the players once they leave the Tigers system means nothing to me. Other teams obviously thought well enough about the players to give up proven talent to acquire them.

And if Detroit couldn't draft -- teams wouldn't be willing to deal with Detroit. So it goes hand in hand. KC goes the other route and tries to develop talent, which is what most smaller market teams do. Detroit just so happens to have a GM and Owner who are willing to wheel and deal, and have done so to almost perfection.

So Detroit has a mix on their team of their own picks (Verlander, Porcello, Smyly, Dirks), trade acquisitions (Cabrera, Peralta, Fister, Sanchez, Infante, Scherzer, Jackson, Veras) and FA signings (Fielder, VMart, Benoit)

Detroit should be a blue print for other teams to follow.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's the Yankees blueprint MikeD. Our stars just aren't old as hell. (Or FAs like Cano)

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Injuns fans are pretty pathetic Shane. No offense to you. Nobody goes to games at all anymore. And a lot of em even threw in the towel on-line. Gotta be hard for Tito to stomach all those empty seats after spending so many years in Boston.

Yah, I know the Indians have been down the last couple years but when I used to go to games used to be sellouts every game. Disappointing to see, and the city as a whole isn't an excuse. If they make the playoffs this year, should see an increase next year and in the future.

Indians fans used to be some of the best baseball fans out thar, again disappointing.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just hoping the record T.V. ratings for the Royals this year translate into more ticket sales, the team deserves better support than a half empty stadium.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shane shane shane.
go back about 100 pages. when capt was quitting on the tribe.

I told him it wasn't over yet... you can check it out...but I know you don't let facts get in your way.

we still own the tribe.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jhonny P returns. gets a hit and a RBI.
Tigers just keep looking like a winner ....
we are going to send the As home again. Iam sure they remember how the Tigers ended there season last year.

Verlander was on the mound that day. 3rd straight ALCS? I think so

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shane shane shane.
go back about 100 pages. when capt was quitting on the tribe.

I told him it wasn't over yet... you can check it out...but I know you don't let facts get in your way.

we still own the tribe.

Congrats on one year. You won't be playing the Tribe unless somehow we both move on to ALCS, so don't get your hopes up thar

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
true. chances the tribe get that far are slim very slim..
Tigers are expected to get there AGAIN.

BUT...well you know how that will play out.

nice to get Jhonny back. Iggy still cant swing a bat. maybe Jhonny will get time at SS this post season.. and LF