• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry you took him the sophmore slump year, 1 of 3 bad years, back when he was 22 years old.

Back when he was 22? That was last year? You want to know what Fielder did when he was 23 years old? He hit 51 homeruns with 120 RBI's and a OPS of 1.000+.

I think Hosmer is a solid player and someone who will help the Royals going forward, but until he proves he can produces better numbers -- he won't be mentioned with the top 1st basemen in the game.

"all together for a full season"

Are you trying to say -- these are the type of numbers you expect Hosmer to put up? 15-19 homeruns, 70-80 rbi's and a BA hovering around .290-.300?

That isn't asking a whole lot out of a supposed 'stud'. Those a quality numbers, but not superstar numbers.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can look at it this way: Fielder is having one of his worst seasons, and is still out-performing Hosmer in HR, OBP and SLG pct. (24/.365/.463 for Prince, 17/.356/.463 for Hosmer). All Hosmer has on him is BA (.303 to .283) and the obvious -- stolen bases.

Fielder's career OBP is .389 and career SLG is .529. Those are well ahead of anything Hosmer has put up so far.

If a GM needed one of the two for a World Series run right now, the only ones who'd take Hosmer are the teams who really need to add some speed. Otherwise, Fielder's WORST SEASON is still > Hosmer's best (so far).

Don't agree with that. I'd say Hosmer's 2013 is a bit better than Fielder's rookie year, given the better OPS+ and WAR Hosmer's 2013 has over Fielder's 2006.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Win now, you could take either one...they rank the same this year...future, Hosmer.....Fielders numbers, career are on the decline, the only one not, RBI's and that just the pure Miggy effect. Put Homser in that 4 hole behind Miggy, and RBI's would be the same...

The strange part is Fielder might actually have better numbers batting in front of Miggy, but anyone's numbers (Hunter) should be improved batting in front of miggy.

Fielder was excellent in 2012...hit .300+ with a 152 ERA+, and hit extremely well w/RISP (.338 AVG w/a 1.031 OPS)

I wouldn't say he's in a decline just because of 1 'down' season.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back when he was 22? That was last year? You want to know what Fielder did when he was 23 years old? He hit 51 homeruns with 120 RBI's and a OPS of 1.000+.

I think Hosmer is a solid player and someone who will help the Royals going forward, but until he proves he can produces better numbers -- he won't be mentioned with the top 1st basemen in the game.

Are you trying to say -- these are the type of numbers you expect Hosmer to put up? 15-19 homeruns, 70-80 rbi's and a BA hovering around .290-.300?

That isn't asking a whole lot out of a supposed 'stud'. Those a quality numbers, but not superstar numbers.

thank you, so you agree that Fielder has declined also since he was 23.

Hosmer (if you want speed and athletisism) and Goldschmidt (if you want power) would both be just as good as choices as Fielder THIS YEAR and both BETTER choices than Fielder in the Future..

Fielder is a good choice for a run this year too, but he isn't the only choice.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I DID consider the age difference when I said if I'm starting a team today (one that has zero shot at a World Series this season), I'd take Hosmer because of age, speed and contract.

YOU said you'd take Hosmer for a World Series run right now over Fielder. I used the stats for THIS SEASON (one of Fielder's WORST and Hosmer's BEST) to show that even in that small sample I'm skeptical.

And by the way: Fielder = 59 extra-base hits. Hosmer = 52. Again, Hosmer's BEST season so far, and one of Fielder's WORST.

Complete speculation on your part, based only on your perception of "body type." (Prince is a considerably better athlete than Cecil, BTW.) When I look at Prince's games played since 2006, I see 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162, 162, and likely 162 again this season. Your prediction for a "crash" is based only on Prince's weight, which is hereditary, not the shape he keeps himself in.

completely agree on hereditary, its not his choice at all. Unlike Butler.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hosmer (if you want speed and athletisism) and Goldschmidt (if you want power) would both be just as good as choices as Fielder THIS YEAR and both BETTER choices than Fielder in the Future..

Fielder's 2009 and 2011 were both better than his 2007

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't agree with that. I'd say Hosmer's 2013 is a bit better than Fielder's rookie year, given the better OPS+ and WAR Hosmer's 2013 has over Fielder's 2006.

Agreed. I should have clarified, I wasn't going back to 2006... only stating that bums comparison appears to be based on this year's numbers for Prince (which is one of his worst) vs. an "up" year for Hosmer. I see 2013 as a fluky mediocre season for Fielder, which included some personal and family issues. Bums sees it as a "trend". We disagree. It's all good.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder's 2009 and 2011 were both better than his 2007.

True, other than the 50 homers in 2007. Prince's BA, OBP and RBI were all higher in 2009 and 2011.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer (if you want speed and athletisism) and Goldschmidt (if you want power) would both be just as good as choices as Fielder THIS YEAR and both BETTER choices than Fielder in the Future.

I could give a rats ass about Goldschmidt. The convo started when you stated that almost all of the 30 GMs in the league would take Hosmer, right now, over Prince. Goldschmidt wasn't even in the discussion.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder was excellent in 2012...hit .300+ with a 152 ERA+, and hit extremely well w/RISP (.338 AVG w/a 1.031 OPS)

I wouldn't say he's in a decline just because of 1 'down' season.

Had no idea Fielder was such a good pitcher.

:-)

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hosmer isn't even in the same conversation with Goldschmidt, so no clue why you continue to bring him up.

Goldschmidt leads the NL in homeruns and RBI's in his 2nd full season. Hosmer is nowhere to be found on those type of lists. Goldschmidt has over twice as many HRs than Hosmer this year (34 to 16) and 42 more RBI's, while having a higher BA.

When Hosmer hit 30+ homeruns and drives in 120+ runs in a season -- THEN start comparing him to people who have actually done it.

Maybe KC fans just haven't had a big bat in a while and their standards for that is lower than the rest of the league. 16 homeruns 77 rbi's with a .303 BA is a nice season, but nothing to write home about. If that was a great season -- people would be doing cartwheels for VMart, because he has basically the same numbers as Hosmer, or even Torii Hunter.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could give a rats ass about Goldschmidt. The convo started when you stated that almost all of the 30 GMs in the league would take Hosmer, right now, over Prince. Goldschmidt wasn't even in the discussion.

well, Dougie thought power was the only way....a bit hard with 3 or 4 tigers fans chirping....and STILL 16 or more GM's would pick Hosmer, Right this second, over Fielder to take to 2013 playoffs...and beyond.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dammit lol. Forgot about our pick em for thursdays game.

1 game off the lead now because of that. Knew this would happen at somepoint lol.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer isn't even in the same conversation with Goldschmidt, so no clue why you continue to bring him up.

Goldschmidt leads the NL in homeruns and RBI's in his 2nd full season. Hosmer is nowhere to be found on those type of lists. Goldschmidt has over twice as many HRs than Hosmer this year (34 to 16) and 42 more RBI's, while having a higher BA.

When Hosmer hit 30+ homeruns and drives in 120+ runs in a season -- THEN start comparing him to people who have actually done it.

Maybe KC fans just haven't had a big bat in a while and their standards for that is lower than the rest of the league. 16 homeruns 77 rbi's with a .303 BA is a nice season, but nothing to write home about. If that was a great season -- people would be doing cartwheels for VMart, because he has basically the same numbers as Hosmer, or even Torii Hunter.

yeah, got ya...has nothing to do with KC fan, your bias not only for Fielder and personal spite against KC isn't surfacing at all...

By the way, Hosmer had more homer runs at age 22 than Fielder did....then Fielder drops 51 (strange he was playing with Braun at the time also) at 23 and has gone down ever since...but hey, he is due to hit 40 or 50 again, real soon...

you can say anything you want, it will not change it...

Hosmer is Fielder equal THIS year, statistically and value....and has completely more upside for anything beyond.

Hosmer is ranked higher at 1b than Fielder

Matt Carpenter is even ranked higher at 1b than Fielder..

If it makes you feel better, I would take Fielder over Trumbo, every time and so would most...even though he has more HR's than Fielder and Rbi's are about the same.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

list out all the players in the league who has their "stud" years at 21, 22 or even 23 years old....well besides Fielder, at 23, that was and will be his career best season, all will be lower than that.

Look at the history of any players...they don't have their best years then, its generally 27 yrs old to 33 yrs old..

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. I should have clarified, I wasn't going back to 2006... only stating that bums comparison appears to be based on this year's numbers for Prince (which is one of his worst) vs. an "up" year for Hosmer. I see 2013 as a fluky mediocre season for Fielder, which included some personal and family issues. Bums sees it as a "trend". We disagree. It's all good.

Hosmers "up year"...lol...wow...so if a 23 yr old finally starts to come into his own in the big leagues, its an "up year"...unbelievable...

So in Fielders, 50 hr season, he just happened to have an "up year"

say, lets just pick a player in history, say Robin Yount...he played in the majors for 6 years, finally hit double digit HR's at 24 years old with his peak amount at 26...

Miggy even....at age 24 and over has hit more HRs every season but one than he did before the age of 24...with his peak numbers coming at 29 and 30 yrs old.

but hey, why bother knowing the pattern MLB hitters tend to show since the beginning of the 21st century...

If you think "studs" should hit their peak years between 21 to 23, then, so be it, be my guest...remind me in 5 years how well it turned out for ya.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought KC was all about "next" year, every year? Didn't know it had already made its way to five years from now. (Longest playoff draught in professional sports) It does make some sense.