• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cleves... how did you like the sky writing over east lansing last Saturday??
right over the stadium... sparty got a little sore about it.

we are still laughing about it

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer? ask all the GMs? put down the pipe dude.
he is a 1B..he lacks the power . how can you take him serious like you do?
there are so many other 1B that rank above him.
Fielder,Encarnacion,just the top of my head in the AL.

if you like light hitting..then Hosmer is your man

Lacks power? Look up the highest avg HR distance... Stupidity..

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. how often does he hit them? 16x this year.
like I said. lacking power. you know. you just got to clear the fence. you don't get any thing for hutting it farther.

CBS ranks him at #8 in the AL.
so how can he say..ask any GM and they would pick him #1????

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yea. how often does he hit them? 16x this year.
like I said. lacking power. you know. you just got to clear the fence. you don't get any thing for hutting it farther.

CBS ranks him at #8 in the AL.
so how can he say..ask any GM and they would pick him #1????

Lacking power and how often that power is observed are entirely different things...

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer is a good young player. but to say any GM would rather have him than Fielder
is just a lot of homer talk. Fielder is a RBI machine. He might not look like he had a great season.But he drives in runs. he don't get the credit he deserves.

Hosmer will have a good career. But I cant seehim topping 25 HRs in a year.
you need that power and RBI producing from the 1B to contend.unless you are stocked with a few others that can do that. not many teams can say that

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lacks power? Look up the highest avg HR distance... Stupidity..

Since he doesn't have a bunch of short, pole huggers holding that average down. Torii Hunter, Justin Morneau and Michael Cuddyer all have more homers right now. And they all dont play for the Twins anymore.(Morneau has two less RBI, and scrambled eggs for brains)

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer is a good young player. but to say any GM would rather have him than Fielder
is just a lot of homer talk. Fielder is a RBI machine. He might not look like he had a great season.But he drives in runs. he don't get the credit he deserves.

Hosmer will have a good career. But I cant seehim topping 25 HRs in a year.
you need that power and RBI producing from the 1B to contend.unless you are stocked with a few others that can do that. not many teams can say that

I don't particularly care for the GM would rather take Hosmer over Fielder nonsense, but claiming there is no power from Hosmer when it is clearly there is just obnoxious. No reason to think Hosmer can't hit 25-30 HR's if he carries this stretch since June 1 over to next year.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder. batting after a walk to Miggy.

is batting around .375 because of this. Miggy wasn't inten. walked that much this year.
teams just started to walk him at the end of the season.
one reason. with prince batting next....he produces.
that's big.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we will have to wait to see on Hosmer.
I cansee him hitting for average. but not the classic 30 or more homers.

I got alex smith to back up Cam Newton...think I should start playing smith?

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone would rather have Fielder over Hosmer, then they are not looking at all the stats (offense and defense), ages, contracts, heck I am sure there are other variables...but if you ask 30 GMs who they would take factoring in EVERYTHING, Hosmer would win the vote....just like everyone of those GM's would pick MIggy over anyone in the league right now.

Fielder has limitations, but it really depends if the GM is in a "win now" mode, or a "build a team for the future" mode. Sorry, but the "win now" guy is going to go with the PROVEN run-producer (6x 100 RBI), PROVEN OBP guy (5x .395 or higher), PROVEN 30+ HR guy (6x), and PROVEN durability (160+ games every year). As good as Hosmer could be, he hasn't proven it over an 8-year stretch like Fielder has. (And these are CAREER numbers, not cherry-picked!) And it's not like Fielder is over-the-hill. He's 29.

If you are building a team for tomorrow, then you might look at age, speed, upside and contract, which would lead you to take Hosmer.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it took 11 innings, but the Indians managed to outlast the mighty Astros last night.

And, okay, I'll say it.... Ubaldo Jimenez is finally looking like the guy who pitched in Colorado.

burfboy

Canadian Tiger
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,525.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers win.....Chiefs win 3-0 and 2-0 on the road!!!!!!.....great day....

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hosmer? ask all the GMs? put down the pipe dude.
he is a 1B..he lacks the power . how can you take him serious like you do?
there are so many other 1B that rank above him.
Fielder,Encarnacion,just the top of my head in the AL.

if you like light hitting..then Hosmer is your man

lol, adding Encarnacion to what make Fielder look better? why not add Chris Davis, Votto, Goldschmidt and ummmm power hitting Matt Carpenter who are all ranked ahead of both of them...

Yep, Chris Carter, Adam Dunn, Mitch Moreland must all be ranked ahead of Hosmer too, on your chart. I got ya. Thanks for playing.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder has limitations, but it really depends if the GM is in a "win now" mode, or a "build a team for the future" mode. Sorry, but the "win now" guy is going to go with the PROVEN run-producer (6x 100 RBI), PROVEN OBP guy (5x .395 or higher), PROVEN 30+ HR guy (6x), and PROVEN durability (160+ games every year). As good as Hosmer could be, he hasn't proven it over an 8-year stretch like Fielder has. (And these are CAREER numbers, not cherry-picked!) And it's not like Fielder is over-the-hill. He's 29.

If you are building a team for tomorrow, then you might look at age, speed, upside and contract, which would lead you to take Hosmer.

Win now, you could take either one...they rank the same this year...future, Hosmer.....Fielders numbers, career are on the decline, the only one not, RBI's and that just the pure Miggy effect. Put Homser in that 4 hole behind Miggy, and RBI's would be the same...

The strange part is Fielder might actually have better numbers batting in front of Miggy, but anyone's numbers (Hunter) should be improved batting in front of miggy.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielders numbers, career are on the decline, the only one not, RBI's and that just the pure Miggy effect.

Only HRs have declined, and I'd think those could bounce back. Fielder's career BA is .286. He hit .313 last year and is at .283 this year. No decline there. I think you're basing your predictions on one season in which Fielder had a horrible 2-month stretch while dealing with a difficult divorce at home.

Put Homser in that 4 hole behind Miggy, and RBI's would be the same...

Perhaps this season. But the gap between the two is 26 (103 to 77), so I don't know. Still tough to base future performance for Hos based on a 3-month hot streak in 2011 and a 3-month hot streak in 2013. Need to see him sustain it before I'm convinced.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting for Hosmer to put it all together for a full season. That is something he hasn't done. I've been suckered into taking him back to back years in fantasy baseball. He was playing so poorly early in the year, I actually picked him up on the waiver wire in one of my leagues.

He has all the potential in the world -- potential isn't production though. Until Hosmer proves he can actually hit 25-30 homeruns and drive in 100+ runs a year -- it is nothing more than wishful thinking. Do I think he could at some point? Yeah. In 3 seasons -- he has not though.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can look at it this way: Fielder is having one of his worst seasons, and is still out-performing Hosmer in HR, OBP and SLG pct. (24/.365/.463 for Prince, 17/.356/.463 for Hosmer). All Hosmer has on him is BA (.303 to .283) and the obvious -- stolen bases.

Fielder's career OBP is .389 and career SLG is .529. Those are well ahead of anything Hosmer has put up so far.

If a GM needed one of the two for a World Series run right now, the only ones who'd take Hosmer are the teams who really need to add some speed. Otherwise, Fielder's WORST SEASON is still > Hosmer's best (so far).

Last edited by a moderator:

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And you can look at it this way: Fielder is having one of his worst seasons, and is still out-performing Hosmer in HR, OBP and SLG pct. (24/.365 /.463 for Prince, 17/.356 /.463 for Hosmer). All Hosmer has on him is BA (.303 to .283) and the obvious -- stolen bases.

Fielder's career OBP is .389 and career SLG is .529. Those are well ahead of anything Hosmer has put up so far.

If a GM needed one of the two for a World Series run right now, the only ones who'd take Hosmer are the teams who really need to add some speed. Otherwise, Fielder's WORST SEASON is still > Hosmer's best (so far).

Fielder is 29, Hosmer is 23....of course Fielder has more proven seasons....should Hosmer have had a few what at 19, 20????....you guys are really not including the age difference, at all...since your using stats and view points that would impossible for Hosmer to have at this point...

So Goldschmidt is worse than Fielder also in your eyes...

I understand what you are eluding to, the more proven player is the best player with all value the same...but if you think I am a homer for Hosmer...

.then lets use Goldschmidt

Fielder, just like his dad is going to crash due to weight....Billy Butler will do the same if he doesn't change....they both will be listed with the Dale Murphy's in career comparsions....they will NOT have long successfull careers at current paces.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still waiting for Hosmer to put it all together for a full season. That is something he hasn't done. I've been suckered into taking him back to back years in fantasy baseball. He was playing so poorly early in the year, I actually picked him up on the waiver wire in one of my leagues.

He has all the potential in the world -- potential isn't production though. Until Hosmer proves he can actually hit 25-30 homeruns and drive in 100+ runs a year -- it is nothing more than wishful thinking. Do I think he could at some point? Yeah. In 3 seasons -- he has not though.

Hosmer has had over 500 ab's in 3 consecutive seasons, 2 of which were sucessfull....absolutely have no idea what "all together for a full season" is......what , over 600 abs,.300, 30 hrs, 125 rbis, etc, etc...

Sorry you took him the sophmore slump year, 1 of 3 bad years, back when he was 22 years old.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fielder is 29, Hosmer is 23....of course Fielder has more proven seasons....should Hosmer have had a few what at 19, 20????....you guys are really not including the age difference, at all...since your using stats and view points that would impossible for Hosmer to have at this point...

I DID consider the age difference when I said if I'm starting a team today (one that has zero shot at a World Series this season), I'd take Hosmer because of age, speed and contract.

YOU said you'd take Hosmer for a World Series run right now over Fielder. I used the stats for THIS SEASON (one of Fielder's WORST and Hosmer's BEST) to show that even in that small sample I'm skeptical.

And by the way: Fielder = 59 extra-base hits. Hosmer = 52. Again, Hosmer's BEST season so far, and one of Fielder's WORST.

Fielder, just like his dad is going to crash due to weight....

Complete speculation on your part, based only on your perception of "body type." (Prince is a considerably better athlete than Cecil, BTW.) When I look at Prince's games played since 2006, I see 157, 158, 159, 162, 161, 162, 162, and likely 162 again this season. Your prediction for a "crash" is based only on Prince's weight, which is hereditary, not the shape he keeps himself in.