• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I mean the stat monkeys.(Arther, StatsMusial and the other guy) Ya know, your little group of nerds that think they'll rewrite history by spitting out stats that nobody cares about, on threads that have nothing to do with their agenda. Have fun babbling on with your make believe baseball if you want though, there are two other guys that'll troll their way back over here and agree with you. I'm sure. (You guys stick together, which is awful cute)

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trout .325/.399/.564, with a 169 OPS+ in 639 plate appearances
Cabrera .330/.393/.606 with a 166 OPS+ in 697 plate appearances

So offensively, they were pretty similar, but I'll give Miggy an edge since he played more games. Then, you have to consider that Cabrera was a liability on defense and a non-factor on the bases. Meanwhile, Trout played elite defense at a premium position and added value with his baserunning.

Seems like Trout was more valuable to me without ever looking at WAR. The Triple Crown is certainly impressive and historic, but it's ultimately an arbitrary accomplishment. Why are those the three Triple Crown categories? It's not like they're the three most important offensive stats or the three best measures of a hitter's quality. I'm glad I got to see someone hit for the TC in my lifetime, and Cabrera is obviously the best hitter in baseball, and his 2012 MVP isn't the most egregious selection of all-time by a longshot, but you'll never convince any objective, knowledgeable baseball fan that Trout wasn't the more valuable player.

You mean the more nerdy fan.....i love how the defense always comes up....why did omar vizquel never get mentioned in an MVP talk....he played great SS defense.....played great defense at a premium position? So the hot corner is easy to play? I didnt see miggy being a liability on defense....he wasnt great, but i cant remember ONE game where i said, dammit if only miggy didnt blow it in the field.....but i remember plenty of times he carried us on the offensive side.

I guess the al east must have nothing going on.....their fans are coming in here to tell us why trout should of won the MVP.....oh well he didnt......the people that know voted, and the right guy won......same will happen this year. Miggy back to back MVP's

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope, I mean the stat monkeys.(Arther, StatsMusial and the other guy) Ya know, your little group of nerds that think they'll rewrite history by spitting out stats that nobody cares about, on threads that have nothing to do with their agenda. Have fun babbling on with your make believe baseball if you want though, there are two other guys that'll troll their way back over here and agree with you. I'm sure. (You guys stick together, which is awful cute)

The nerds that never played sports, but sit back and tell us who is better thanks to science and math and chemistry and classical music and veggie dogs and world of warcraft and so on.

<<<singing.......revenge of the nerds........revenge of the nerds........NERDS!!!!!

Guess ill be ogre....wasnt that his name?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean the more nerdy fan.....i love how the defense always comes up....why did omar vizquel never get mentioned in an MVP talk....he played great SS defense.....played great defense at a premium position? So the hot corner is easy to play? I didnt see miggy being a liability on defense....he wasnt great, but i cant remember ONE game where i said, dammit if only miggy didnt blow it in the field.....but i remember plenty of times he carried us on the offensive side.

I guess the al east must have nothing going on.....their fans are coming in here to tell us why trout should of won the MVP.....oh well he didnt......the people that know voted, and the right guy won......same will happen this year. Miggy back to back MVP's

Then again, Vizquel never was a top 5 hitter in the league as Trout was. Guys like Larkin, Kent, Rollins, Pudge, Tejada all won MVPs without the best numbers because their position helped them.

And regarding Cabrera's defense, as already shown, your memory is fuzzy, considering you think the Tigers got hot when Jackson got hurt. So why on earth are we to rely on your fuzzy selective memory when it comes to Cabrera's defense? Let me ask you this...how often do fans give a 'fair' assessment of players on their team? Probably not very often....fans tend to overrate their own players, such a Tigers fan claiming Cabrera's the best hitter they've ever seen (when the likes of Pujols and Thomas have better numbers through 11 years than Cabrera does).

And like I said earlier, claiming Cabrera 'carried' a team is an insult to the likes of Fielder, Verlander, Jackson, all whom had all-star quality seasons last year. This isn't the NBA where Lebron could dominate the tone/score of the game every time out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then again, Vizquel never was a top 5 hitter in the league as Trout was. Guys like Larkin, Kent, Rollins, Pudge, Tejada all won MVPs without the best numbers because their position helped them.

And regarding Cabrera's defense, as already shown, your memory is fuzzy, considering you think the Tigers got hot when Jackson got hurt. So why on earth are we to rely on your fuzzy selective memory when it comes to Cabrera's defense? Let me ask you this...how often do fans give a 'fair' assessment of players on their team? Probably not very often....fans tend to overrate their own players, such a Tigers fan claiming Cabrera's the best hitter they've ever seen (when the likes of Pujols and Thomas have better numbers through 11 years than Cabrera does).

And like I said earlier, claiming Cabrera 'carried' a team is an insult to the likes of Fielder, Verlander, Jackson, all whom had all-star quality seasons last year. This isn't the NBA where Lebron could dominate the tone/score of the game every time out.

You named 3 other guys on a whole ball club.....every great player has someone on his team. Show me the stats that say miggy hurt the tigers defensively.....im sure they got some nerdy stat......couldnt had been too bad.....they went all the way to the WS. keep trolling stan marsh.....but u might wanna get cartmans dick out of your ass. Seems like miggy is dominating now......11 HR's in 20 games? Batting 360 as a power hitter......leading in RBI's by a nice margin........oh thats right....those stats done matter.....miggy cant steal bases....isnt miggys WAR pretty high this year? Didnt ben zobrist lead WAR 2 years ago? Or was near the top.

Miggy>>>>>>>>bonds

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't question the stats cleaves. They've been created by the worlds greatest collection of nerds. If need be, they'll create more, with additional plus signs, for effect. (Trout was so great defensively, he was moved from center to left, for future HOFer Peter Bourjos. Must be they have the two best outfielders in baseball on the same team.... still arent going to make the post season tourney though)

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff kent hit 334 33HR and 125 RBI's and his team won their division.....i hardly doubt his defense at 2B was hardly the reason he won. I bet if miggy put up the numbers he did last year and his team won the division like they did he would of beat kent easily....same with any of those players.....miggys year was better than any of their MVP seasons. I dont feel like looking....but of those players you named....during their MVP season.....show me who they beat out that had a year like miggy last year.....ill be waiting mr stt guy. Lol jeff kent....i remember kent for hitting, not defense.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You named 3 other guys on a whole ball club.....every great player has someone on his team. Show me the stats that say miggy hurt the tigers defensively.....im sure they got some nerdy stat......couldnt had been too bad.....they went all the way to the WS. keep trolling stan marsh.....but u might wanna get cartmans dick out of your ass. Seems like miggy is dominating now......11 HR's in 20 games? Batting 360 as a power hitter......leading in RBI's by a nice margin........oh thats right....those stats done matter.....miggy cant steal bases....isnt miggys WAR pretty high this year? Didnt ben zobrist lead WAR 2 years ago? Or was near the top.

Miggy>>>>>>>>bonds

Wow, let's change the subject to 2013...when did I ever argue about 2013?

Poor defense mechanism: change the subject to better suit your argument. Cabrera's 2013 has nothing to do with the 2012 MVP.

Another poor defense mechanism: childish name calling to try to get your 'point across'

Did you ever learn how to argue like an adult?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't question the stats cleaves. They've been created by the worlds greatest collection of nerds. If need be, they'll create more, with additional plus signs, for effect. (Trout was so great defensively, he was moved from center to left, for future HOFer Peter Bourjos. Must be they have the two best outfielders in baseball on the same team.... still arent going to make the post season tourney though)

Right.....if trout was so great at a "premium" position.....why did they move him to one of the easiest positions to play.....thats where you stick soriano and irks and 2E.......good point smitty......but im sure the angels needed bourjos bat

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff kent hit 334 33HR and 125 RBI's and his team won their division.....i hardly doubt his defense at 2B was hardly the reason he won. I bet if miggy put up the numbers he did last year and his team won the division like they did he would of beat kent easily....same with any of those players.....miggys year was better than any of their MVP seasons. I dont feel like looking....but of those players you named....during their MVP season.....show me who they beat out that had a year like miggy last year.....ill be waiting mr stt guy. Lol jeff kent....i remember kent for hitting, not defense.

Jeff Kent wasn't even the best hitter on his team in 2000. So if he wasn't the best hitter on his team, there needs to be something that considerable boosted his case? It was his position. It doesn't always matter whether he was great or not from the position, but that type of offensive production from his position is rare, which increases value.

I mean, Piazza was never a great defensive catcher, but he had a ton of value given that his hitting outpu came from that position. If he were a 1B for example, he wouldn't have been nearly as valuable....very good hitting 1B are dime a dozen.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, let's change the subject to 2013...when did I ever argue about 2013?

Poor defense mechanism: change the subject to better suit your argument. Cabrera's 2013 has nothing to do with the 2012 MVP.

Another poor defense mechanism: childish name calling to try to get your 'point across'

Did you ever learn how to argue like an adult?

You do sound like a lil whiney nerd.

What is there to change......you can argue till your blue in the face.....find every lil nerdy stat.....BUT...

MIGGY 2012 MVP!!!! Your argument has already lost....take it up with the people who follow baseball and vote

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The nerds that never played sports, but sit back and tell us who is better thanks to science and math and chemistry and classical music and veggie dogs and world of warcraft and so on.

<<<singing.......revenge of the nerds........revenge of the nerds........NERDS!!!!!

Guess ill be ogre....wasnt that his name?

Was Dorn (Corbin Bernson) in Revenge of the Nerds? It's been awhile. I remember Booger...

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff Kent wasn't even the best hitter on his team in 2000. So if he wasn't the best hitter on his team, there needs to be something that considerable boosted his case? It was his position. It doesn't always matter whether he was great or not from the position, but that type of offensive production from his position is rare, which increases value.

I mean, Piazza was never a great defensive catcher, but he had a ton of value given that his hitting outpu came from that position. If he were a 1B for example, he wouldn't have been nearly as valuable....very good hitting 1B are dime a dozen.

So who was their best hitter?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So theres no good hitting 2B? Im lost. I can remember alot of good 2B.....catchers about the only position....and maybe SS....but over the years theres been good hitting SS. ive just never heard about kent playing great defense.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right.....if trout was so great at a "premium" position.....why did they move him to one of the easiest positions to play.....thats where you stick soriano and irks and 2E.......good point smitty......but im sure the angels needed bourjos bat

Because as good as Trout's been in CF, Burjos is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread in CF (take that comment for what it's worth)..

Wednesday afternoon at the Winter Meetings, manager Mike Scioscia explained that, as well as Trout can play center field, Peter Bourjos can play better.
"Mike has the tools to play at an incredible level in center field," Scioscia said. "But Peter had a little more time in the minor leagues to work on some things, and is maybe a little more polished. Peter's very polished on stopping first to third, and he has incredible range."
And you know what? He does! Scouts have been raving about Bourjos's range since Clint Eastwood was just a bird-dog scout working for gas money. Plus, his fielding metrics are off the freaking charts. Yes, ever better than Trout's.

Mike Scioscia explains Mike Trout, left fielder - Baseball Nation

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was Dorn (Corbin Bernson) in Revenge of the Nerds? It's been awhile. I remember Booger...

Nah it was goose from top gun....booger.....gay blk dood......kung fu's brother......the neighbor from married with children....the 2nd guy not the first one...think he was in happy days too.....john goodman was the coach.....the guy from field of dreams...the brother i think....ummmmmm....i think thats it. Ogre was the big guy that was in alot of movies....hes on the comercials as a barbarian or viking or sumthin

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was the giants best hitter in 2000?

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because as good as Trout's been in CF, Burjos is supposed to be the best thing since sliced bread in CF (take that comment for what it's worth)..

Wednesday afternoon at the Winter Meetings, manager Mike Scioscia explained that, as well as Trout can play center field, Peter Bourjos can play better.
"Mike has the tools to play at an incredible level in center field," Scioscia said. "But Peter had a little more time in the minor leagues to work on some things, and is maybe a little more polished. Peter's very polished on stopping first to third, and he has incredible range."
And you know what? He does! Scouts have been raving about Bourjos's range since Clint Eastwood was just a bird-dog scout working for gas money. Plus, his fielding metrics are off the freaking charts. Yes, ever better than Trout's.

Still dont make sense....you want us to believe trout is the greatest defender but hes being moved to left.....you dont move an MVP if thats why he was considered in the running for it...his CF defense. ...his premium position he played....now he got moved to the easiest....ok...i could understand if bourjous was an excellent hitter.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hahahaha, nothing to do with his poor arm eh? Stats monkeys always love em some Trout, unconditionally. I only hope I get to hear about Harper on here. Being its an AL Central Smack Talk Thread, I'm sure you cute little monkeys will find a way to spit some of his stats out before you meet up online to play Warcraft after you're done tutoring the baseball team in math.