• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying.....the tigers got hot without him.....berry took over for him and the tigers took off...if miggy went down that many games, the tigers wouldnt had made the playoffs

Just saying, you're wrong on this one...

Jackson was out from May 17 to June 8....the Tigers went 8-13 in those 21 games

Don't give this argument that the Tigers were fine without Jackson...the record indicates otherwise.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So hes just trolling an AL Central smack talk to let us know how bad miggy is? Strange

Not trolling at all...if this is the thread with the most activity, I'll join in the debate.

It's not a bad thing that I can talk baseball outside of my own team.

If you were to join in other threads and not just Tiger related ones, you'd see that I participate on many topics...when you interact with mostly fans of the same team, groupthink and hence excessive homerism tends to occur, which isn't a good thing (and a major reason I stay off the team boards and stay on general boards where I can get different perspectives)...

Last edited by a moderator:

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not trolling at all...if this is the thread with the most activity, I'll join in the debate.

This thread has been dead lately...ever since the royal fan came in excited due to a sweep of a DH VS detroit....then detroit finished them off like they did cleveland....then KC got swept by the chi sox.....and then there was nuthin left but tiger fans and a bo sox fan in here...oh and stan marsh.

But its whatever....i think miggy wins MVP again....easily......and i think miggy is a better hitter than barry bonds.....if miggy is dirty, i will take it back.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't give this argument that the Tigers were fine without Jackson...the record indicates otherwise.[/QUOTE

Just dont think ajax had a GREAT year...i dont know what the records were...but ask any tiger fan who lit a spark last year....berry was in the talk for ROY for a hot second....he fell off BAD....But he came up and played well. Became a fan favorite.....then decided to quit hitting....couldnt even make the team as a pinch runner sub this year

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Don't give this argument that the Tigers were fine without Jackson...the record indicates otherwise.[/QUOTE

Just dont think ajax had a GREAT year...i dont know what the records were...but ask any tiger fan who lit a spark last year....berry was in the talk for ROY for a hot second....he fell off BAD....But he came up and played well. Became a fan favorite.....then decided to quit hitting....couldnt even make the team as a pinch runner sub this year

Well I'll disagree, and I think he had an excellent season last year...

Of the 23 guys last year with at least 300 PAs from the leadoff spot, Jackson was 5th in AVG, 4th in OBP, 3rd in OPS, 3rd in runs.4th in HR, 3rd in RBI

So at the worst, he was a top 5 leadoff hitter, but he's got a strong case for being a top 3 leadoff hitter last year.....he had quite an underrated season I'd argue.

Cleaves2000

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I'll disagree, and I think he had an excellent season last year...

Of the 23 guys last year with at least 300 PAs from the leadoff spot, Jackson was 5th in AVG, 4th in OBP, 3rd in OPS, 3rd in runs.4th in HR, 3rd in RBI

So at the worst, he was a top 5 leadoff hitter, but he's got a strong case for being a top 3 leadoff hitter last year.....he had quite an underrated season I'd argue.

Ok ill agree with that, but miggy still carried the team. Hes doing the same this year....11 Hr's in his last 20 games

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers leave bases loaded two times> 7th and 8th innings. not clutch tonight

sanchez had a rare off night, no big deal.

some one got smart. bob Melvin. decided not to pitch to miggy. with man on first. they give miggy first base. if others decide not to pitch to miggy. this could hurt the tigers. prince isn't doing the job

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
v Martinez has raised average to almost .290. after slow start..this is a great job.

how about flipping vmart and prince in line up? not like prince is giving us the HRs we expect.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correlation does not equal causation....statistics 101. You really think the NL voters are consistently using a different critera than the AL voters? I know you're not this stupid.

Why are you and your stat crew even on this thread? Notice the title?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

QBert is a very bad baseball player. I feel bad for Tigers fans who thought otherwise for awhile.(you liked him cleaves?) I saw him fall down shagging flies several times during ST last year. That was all I needed. then he did it in a ST game, I was more than sold at that point. Probably disliked him more than Raburn to be honest.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If you were to join in other threads and not just Tiger related ones, you'd see that I participate on many topics...when you interact with mostly fans of the same team, groupthink and hence excessive homerism tends to occur, which isn't a good thing (and a major reason I stay off the team boards and stay on general boards where I can get different perspectives)...

Do you have any sabermetrics on homerism? If not, your claim is unfounded, and therefore strictly opinion, which, as you've shown on the other threads you speak of, isn't of much value. Unless, of course, you do have those all important statistics.

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any sabermetrics on homerism? If not, your claim is unfounded, and therefore strictly opinion, which, as you've shown on the other threads you speak of, isn't of much value. Unless, of course, you do have those all important statistics.

You mean the thread where you vehemently agreed with your buddy MiamiVice all the way, and after was proven that MiamiVice was making up numbers, and neither of you showed up after that?

No homerism at all on both of your parts.

I can post wherever I want, there's no restriction on this board, is that not correct? Like I said, when you interact with mainly fans of the same team, groupthink and hence excessive homerism tends to grow, which is happening in your case.

The fact that you can't bring any real substance to an argument (childish name calling which you and your boy MiamiVice do isn't substance) isn't my problem. Your thoughts on Randy Johnson's HOF cap is enough to tell you me don't know/follow much baseball outside of the Tigers.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhhhhhhh the Randy Johnson thread....... You mean the thread where you felt compelled to bring up Miguel Cabrera? That thread? (Which was a really shitty job of fishing/trolling/being a douchburger)The one where I said I think Ms when I think Randy Johnson, and you needed to post more stats? Like its going to make me forget the decade he played in te Northwest or some shit. (Did you notice the end of my first post where I said "it doesn't really matter to me"? As in he could be a DBack in the Hall, and Id still think of him as a Mariner.). You stat monkeys, I tell ya, you gotta work on your trolling. Not first rate work. (I have no statistical evidence to prove that statement. It's merely my opinion. It could be first rate trolling work in comparison to people that don't constantly regurgitate statistics to make themselves feel empowered. )

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ohhhhhhhhhh the Randy Johnson thread....... You mean the thread where you felt compelled to bring up Miguel Cabrera? That thread? (Which was a really shitty job of fishing/trolling/being a douchburger)The one where I said I think Ms when I think Randy Johnson, and you needed to post more stats? Like its going to make me forget the decade he played in te Northwest or some shit. (Did you notice the end of my first post where I said "it doesn't really matter to me"? As in he could be a DBack in the Hall, and Id still think of him as a Mariner.). You stat monkeys, I tell ya, you gotta work on your trolling. Not first rate work. (I have no statistical evidence to prove that statement. It's merely my opinion. It could be first rate trolling work in comparison to people that don't constantly regurgitate statistics to make themselves feel empowered. )

So when I claim you provide nothing substantive in your arguments and tend to resort to childish name calling, your rebuttal is....nothing substantive and childish name calling.

Funny, when your buddy MiamiVice was doing a great deal of "fishing/trolling/being a douchburger," obviously you supported it and no complaints on your end. Double standard if I ever saw one...if a Tiger fan does any of that, it's cool. If they're not a Tiger fan, it's not cool...is that not the thought process you're using?

Got it...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So when I claim you provide nothing substantive in your arguments and tend to resort to childish name calling, your rebuttal is....nothing substantive and childish name calling.

Funny, when your buddy MiamiVice was doing a great deal of "fishing/trolling/being a douchburger," obviously you supported it and no complaints on your end. Double standard if I ever saw one...if a Tiger fan does any of that, it's cool. If they're not a Tiger fan, it's not cool...is that not the thought process you're using?

Got it...

Where's the stats homeboy? If you're gonna stick around a thread and be annoying, you might as well spew some statistical information. (Don't feel like talking about Miguel Cabrera anymore? Prolly since this is a thread where talking about Miguel Cabrera would make sense....). What arguments by the way? You can take up your beef with Vice if you want to. But I don't really care what the two of you were talking about. (He was prolly talking shit, you were prolly cutting and pasting from a spreadsheet)

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Better at what?
Trout .325/.399/.564, with a 169 OPS+ in 639 plate appearances
Cabrera .330/.393/.606 with a 166 OPS+ in 697 plate appearances

So offensively, they were pretty similar, but I'll give Miggy an edge since he played more games. Then, you have to consider that Cabrera was a liability on defense and a non-factor on the bases. Meanwhile, Trout played elite defense at a premium position and added value with his baserunning.

Seems like Trout was more valuable to me without ever looking at WAR. The Triple Crown is certainly impressive and historic, but it's ultimately an arbitrary accomplishment. Why are those the three Triple Crown categories? It's not like they're the three most important offensive stats or the three best measures of a hitter's quality. I'm glad I got to see someone hit for the TC in my lifetime, and Cabrera is obviously the best hitter in baseball, and his 2012 MVP isn't the most egregious selection of all-time by a longshot, but you'll never convince any objective, knowledgeable baseball fan that Trout wasn't the more valuable player.