• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know all the spartys really love the maize and blue..deep down

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see Porcello has resorted back to his normal inconsistent self and now sits exactly on his career ERA of 4.50 for the season.

I'd love to jump on board with the few guys who talk so highly of Porcello, but it is tough to be a quality pitcher when you don't have a strike out pitch and teams hit .288 against you for your career.

I honestly think Porcello is much better suited to pitch in the NL. I think he could get you 3.50-4.00 ERA and if he finds a strike out pitch, it could be even better. In the AL though, I think we are just going to see a lot of the same we have in the last couple years -- stretches where he looks good and stretches where he gets hit around like he is throwing batting practices.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
he is a 5th starter.. pretty good one to.
gives us innings all year. wasn't hurt. plus.
maybe he can be used out of the bull pen in the post season.

trade him and who you going to get as a 5th starter?????? Tigers could do a lot worse

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
go out and see whats out there for 5th starters.

Porcello. has won double digits in his young career.
He gives the Tigers over 175 innings a year.
You are right. he doesn't have a OUT pitch.
My problem with him...He doesn't throw hard enough.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trade him and who you going to get as a 5th starter?????? Tigers could do a lot worse

drew smyly? it would also give the tigers a lefty in the rotation, instead of all right handed pitchers.

I honestly think Porcello is just fine as a 5th starter. On the tigers game glogs though -- people talk of him being a top end starter in the future and how he is only 24 and developing, but I just don't see it happening.

I think he gives the tigers what they need out of the 5th starter spot, but I wouldn't hold my breathe and expect much more out of him. If he somehow develops a strikeout pitch -- he could be really good, but you can say that about any pitcher in the MLB.

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You said it about Boston, & same goes for the Tigs - they finally won, now theyre the worst fans. Along the road through the playoffs you'll see for yourself how hated Detroit is...

Tigers haven't won....or unless the Cubs won or San Diego won...or any team who has made the playoffs has won...

The Tigers haven't won anything....more than the Cubs, the Padres...the Red Sox for years...its been almost 30 years since the Tigers have won...

Thats the point being made...the Tigers FANS, think they HAVE won, lol...Glad the Cubs, Padres, Red Sox fans didn't think they WON by just going to the playoffs....lol...but then again...none of those teams set an ALL TIME record for losses in a season...so I guess the Tigers have won, they were able to actually have some winning RECORDS after setting the worst season in American League history...which is what like ummm 100 years...

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name a guy outside of Greinke that came out of the KC farm and started for them that is on another team currently... I can name a few for the twins.. the tigers don't have any starting.. but have Furbush and Miller... I can't think of any from the Royals other than Greinke.. not one. Help me out here.

The Indians, White Sox, and Twins all have produced a few starters that had long careers or were above average.. The Tigers have a few also.. and traded away Miller who has been decent out of the pen and Turner who looks like a legit future All Star in the NL.

It really speaks to what is wrong in KC... they can't develop starting pitching.. or anything really with consistency. If you are a small market team with a low payroll.. you better be able to develop talent or you will be the Royals.

Or the Tiger....the tigers don't either have anyone starting for another team....but pitchers...Vin Mazzero, JP Howell, Jokim Soria, Jermey Affeldt, Mike McDougal......and even Luke Hochevar (pitching better in relief than...Miller or Furbush are, lol) and Greg Holland...

really not sure about how deep you actually go for the truth...The Tigers haven't developed CRAP over the last 20 years in their farm system...terrible drafting, just look at the players the tigers have draft over 20 years...all of them and you can see why the tigers were horrible (set a record for being horrible, lol) til they started getting players from other systems or buying players that teams couldn't afford.

Tigers haven't been able to develop hitters or pitchers...Verlander would have been a stud in ANY system...Max...who knows......so the Tigers can claim 2 pitchers...and ummmm, how many hitters??????

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or the Tiger....the tigers don't either have anyone starting for another team....but pitchers...Vin Mazzero, JP Howell, Jokim Soria, Jermey Affeldt, Mike McDougal......and even Luke Hochevar (pitching better in relief than...Miller or Furbush are, lol) and Greg Holland...

really not sure about how deep you actually go for the truth...The Tigers haven't developed CRAP over the last 20 years in their farm system...terrible drafting, just look at the players the tigers have draft over 20 years...all of them and you can see why the tigers were horrible (set a record for being horrible, lol) til they started getting players from other systems or buying players that teams couldn't afford.

Tigers haven't been able to develop hitters or pitchers...Verlander would have been a stud in ANY system...Max...who knows......so the Tigers can claim 2 pitchers...and ummmm, how many hitters??????

1. If KC drafted so well and had all these pitchers pitching for other teams -- How bad is your front office? You just said it yourself -- Detroit has developed no one (which is funny), yet they have turned those nobody players into -- Miguel Cabrera (traded 5 or 6 prospects for him), Doug Fister (traded 4 prospects for him), Anibal Sanchez and Omar Infante (traded 2 prospects for them), Max Scherzer and Austin Jackson (traded Curtis Granderson for him). I'd say Detroit has done fairly well trading away prospects for MLB talent -- How have the Royals done?

2. Outside of Prince Fielder -- who have the Tigers outbid anyone on? You see, as a KC fan, you are used to an owner who doesn't about the team and worries about only the bottom line. Detroit's owner wants to put a winning product on the field -- which he has done.

It actually makes me laugh when people question the Tigers farm system, as they have turned players from their system into players like I mentioned above. Tell me another team in the MLB who has done as much thru trading prospects as the Tigers have?!?!?

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sucks always looking up doesn't it? Right now it's Detroit. Used to be The Twins. Before that the Indians. For a little while it was the White Sox. But it's never the Royals. Must be rough. Jacob Turner starts for the Marlins by the way,.... dummy.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
drew smyly? it would also give the tigers a lefty in the rotation, instead of all right handed pitchers.

I honestly think Porcello is just fine as a 5th starter. On the tigers game glogs though -- people talk of him being a top end starter in the future and how he is only 24 and developing, but I just don't see it happening.

I think he gives the tigers what they need out of the 5th starter spot, but I wouldn't hold my breathe and expect much more out of him. If he somehow develops a strikeout pitch -- he could be really good, but you can say that about any pitcher in the MLB.

Porcello strikes people out just fine. Can't be expecting everyone to blow people away like Max currently or JV normally. If I have to read anymore of Drew Smyly in the starting rotation I'm gonna freak out. People have been babbling on about it for a damn year. He's a needed reliever right now. He can't even be used for spots starts. That's not changing until next year at the earliest. Assuming several current starters arms don't fall off.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
our 5th starter who every ones says is no good took the loss.
Coke didn't help. but Leyland still loves him some Phil COKIE

Phil Coke was sent to Toledo after the game (finally). Jose Alvarez called up and, even though he's a starter, will be given a chance to come out of the pen to get LH batters out.

I see Porcello has resorted back to his normal inconsistent self and now sits
exactly on his career ERA of 4.50 for the season.

Yeah, 2.03 WHIP over his last two starts. Not good, especially considering the games were against the White Sox (.250 team BA) and Twins (.242 team BA and had their best hitter out). But I give Rick credit for wriggling out of trouble enough in the Sox game to get the win.

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Tigers haven't developed CRAP over the last 20 years in their farm system...terrible drafting, just look at the players the tigers have draft over 20 years...all of them and you can see why the tigers were horrible (set a record for being horrible, lol) til they started getting players from other systems or buying players that teams couldn't afford.

Do the names Justin Verlander, Curtis Granderson or Jacob Turner ring a bell? As well as all the prospects we developed that we traded for Cabrera, Fister, Sanchez, and the like.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FWIW, Porcello's shown improvement in his peripherals. His 6.92 K/9 is (by far) the highest of his major league career. It's higher than anything he posted in the minors as well. He's also done a good job limiting walks (2.00 BB/9 this year, career 2.29 BB/9). He does have a 56% groundball rate as well. His FIP this year is 3.46 and xFIP is at 3.25, all of which are easily career bests.

I always thought he was a little overhyped, but I could see him breaking out next year.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a win for the Indians!!!

That is the kinda win that can get them going!

Howie115

'Tis but a scratch...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His 6.92 K/9 is (by far) the highest of his major league career.

True. His career high for strikeouts in a season is 107, and he's already at 104 this year.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Porcello strikes people out just fine. Can't be expecting everyone to blow people away like Max currently or JV normally. If I have to read anymore of Drew Smyly in the starting rotation I'm gonna freak out. People have been babbling on about it for a damn year. He's a needed reliever right now. He can't even be used for spots starts. That's not changing until next year at the earliest. Assuming several current starters arms don't fall off.

Smitty -- the comment about the strikeouts is from a long standing discussion we've had on the Tigers game glogs. Basically there is two sides of the fence with Porcello:

One side believes Rick Porcello is what he is -- a back end starter who will eat innings, as he has been extremely durable. Personally, that is how I see him, as he lacks a go to pitch and he is a contact pitcher, who, unfortunately, teams are hitting .288 against him for his career. I think Detroit could get some great value in a trade with a NL team, where I think he'd be a much better fit.

Other side believes Rick Porcello is only 24 and believe he will become a top end starter. They believe he can develop an out pitch to go with his sinker ball. He has shown flashes this year, but he has done the same every year since he has been in the league.

Will be interesting to see how it pans out. I would love nothing more than to see Porcello become more consistent and put up quality numbers. As it stands now -- he is a solid #5 starter for the Tigers, but I'd actually rather see Drew Smyly in the rotation next year, as it'd give the Tigers a lefty to pair with all the righties we have.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers farm also produced such fine talent as 2001 all star Matt Joyce, former all star Jair Jurrgens.

Here is a list of notable Tigers picks from 2002 -2008... I am not going much further because a lot of the guys from 2009 are only 21-24 and not been in the majors yet. This list does not show the Tigers international signings like Omar Infante, Ramon Santiago, Bruce Rondon, Villareal, Avisail Garcia, or the countless other Venezuelans they developed in the last 10 years. All in all.. Tigers system may not rank high.. but has produced countless MLB caliber players... and almost yearly is used to trade for proven vets. KC fans nut themselves over the value of prospects.. Dave Dombrowski brags them up.. then flips them for real talent... or uses them to fill holes until said technique can be used.

Zumaya - 2002 11th rd
granderson - 2002 3rd rd
Verlander - 2004 1st rd
joyce - 2005
casper wells -2005
cameron maybin -2005
clete thomas - 2005
brennan boesch -2006
casey fien - 2006
scott sizemore 2006
andrew miller -2006
duane below - 2006
porcello - 2007
putkonen -2007
casey crosby 2007
danny worth 2007
dirks - 2008
avila - 2008

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point.. I would like to point out that Casey Crosby was drafted the same year as Porcello.. yet he is still in AAA and is considered a top 10 prospect... Porcello should have been developed in the minors.. and called up this year.. if that happened.. he would look amazing to Tigers fans and you would all be nutting your pants for the 24 year old with legit potential.

That being said... I think Porcello would be better served for his own benefit if he was on a team like St Louis, Miami, or Arizona.. where he could be developed by teams with histories of developing starters.. in the NL... in a large park.

I want the Tigers to keep Porcello.. because I truly believe in the next year or two he will become a legit #2 or #3... but that being said.. mentally.. I think its hard for him to do that in Det with fans constantly bashing him... where if he were in the minors.. he could work out his kinks like almost every other 20-24 year old starter did.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joyce was an all star in 2011... typo.. and it would not let me edit it.