• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AL Central Smack Talk

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upper 90's from a lefty.. that has a batting average against of .280 in 26 starts.. 26 starts is the equivalent of about one season... Enjoy that talent there bro.. its why your team is a laughing stock.

One full season isn't a great sample size in the big picture in a pitchers career... especially his first 26 starts.

Iffster

Dude
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Upper 90's from a lefty. Yeah, that kind of is MLB talent. He has never had a chance to pitch a full season...

Moose - doesn't KC have a pitcher named Ventura at AAA? He is listed very high by Baseball America....is he just not ready yet?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moose - doesn't KC have a pitcher named Ventura at AAA? He is listed very high by Baseball America....is he just not ready yet?

He is holding his own in AAA, but he definitely is not ready yet based on his numbers either. He will almost certainly make the big leagues in some role. They will give him a shot to start. I certainly would not want to rush him as he does have excellent stuff. It would be a lot safer to see if Duffy is who some scouts thought he was instead of possibly ruining Ventura by rushing him up to the big leagues.

Edit: I will check his numbers in AAA again shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One full season isn't a great sample size in the big picture in a pitchers career... especially his first 26 starts.

Enjoy hiim bro... make sure you tune in to watch his start.. I am sure he will be amazing.. Its things like this that keep a team from making the playoffs for a quarter century... if you have to call up a guy in a pennant race.. and danny duffy is the best talent you have.. it isnt good. But like I said.. get excited about him.. he is a lefty that throws the ball hard... a prospect just like royals fans love.. maybe next year he will be good.. isn't that what they say in kc every year?

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Enjoy hiim bro... make sure you tune in to watch his start.. I am sure he will be amazing.. Its things like this that keep a team from making the playoffs for a quarter century... if you have to call up a guy in a pennant race.. and danny duffy is the best talent you have.. it isnt good. But like I said.. get excited about him.. he is a lefty that throws the ball hard... a prospect just like royals fans love.. maybe next year he will be good.. isn't that what they say in kc every year?

If we take your approach... Gordon, Hosmer, and Moustakas are all busts which is a load of crap. Gordon is exactly why you don't just give up on a player with talent. It is a much better to have patience with young players than to instantly give up on them at the first sign of failure.

I watch virtually every telecast for years now so I don't think I will ignore his start. I am not saying Duffy is the best thing since sliced bread. I am just saying it is imprudent not to give him every opportunity to succeed.

Edit: And no, Duffy is the most talented MLB ready pitcher available in AAA right now. He was coming off of TJ anyway. How is it stupid to give him a shot over arguably the WORST starting pitcher in the AL who has been at best mediocre, but more often he was just bad as a starter. One could probably argue that Zimmer or Ventura's ceiling is higher if one really felt like it, but really Is something that can only be determined by how the play over an extended period of time in the big leagues.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we take your approach... Gordon, Hosmer, and Moustakas are all busts which is a load of crap. Gordon is exactly why you don't just give up on a player with talent. It is a much better to have patience with young players than to instantly give up on them at the first sign of failure.

I watch virtually every telecast for years now so I don't think I will ignore his start. I am not saying Duffy is the best thing since sliced bread. I am just saying it is imprudent not to give him every opportunity to succeed.

Edit: And no, Duffy is the most talented MLB ready pitcher available in AAA right now. He was coming off of TJ anyway. How is it stupid to give him a shot over arguably the WORST starting pitcher in the AL who has been at best mediocre, but more often he was just bad as a starter. One could probably argue that Zimmer or Ventura's ceiling is higher if one really felt like it, but really Is something that can only be determined by how the play over a extended period of time in the big leagues.

Gordon is a solid player.. nothing special and is already in his prime years.. he will start his decline in a few seasons.. he has probably peaked... he is maybe a top 25 outfielder at best... Moustakas is a complete bust... I will refer you to a man named brandon inge if you want to see moustakas's ceiling... Hosmer is the only guy I see with a decent future.. and I am sorry.. he is still nothing more than an average 1st baseman.. until he can start smacking 30+ hr a year.. that being said... You have drafted top 1-10 for decades... and still have a bunch of guys that "might" make it... and very few that have. That is a problem.. Like I said.. enjoy your team.. they are competing for the first time since 2003... that is something.. but stay in reality... you are not winning a wild card.. and next year.. santana will be gone... and shields in the last year of his contract... guthrie one year older... with very little proven pitching talent on the horizon... this is the best shot at a playoff team you may have for another 4-5 years.... By then Moustakas will be a proven bust and Hosmer will be on another team or drawing Casey Kotchma comparisons... and Gordon... he will be in his 30's doing a Francouer impersonation.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC scouts and developmental coaches are the worst in the league.. flat out.. no excuse for teams like the rangers or red sox to develop more mlb talent than the royals.. when they pick later in the rounds in drafts... Teams like the a's and rays prove its not about money... the royal are just poorly run. Your team does not have the same talent level as a team like the tigers or rays or red sox... its clear to the average eye... You are on a nice run.. but what happens when its over.. did you think about next year? Did you think about how you have a rotation that will lose its top performer almost certainly.. and even if the royals kept him around.. he is over 30.. and will want a long term contract.. good luck with that... I laugh at dayton moore.. he is the worst gm in sports.. he has not direction... i cant see his plan at all.. the rotation has no future.. guthrie is almost 35... shields is going to be a 32 yr old free agent after next yr... santana is a 30 yr old free agent this year.. and who replaces these guys? There are not 3 mlb caliber starters in the royals system ready to take over.. and we all know you are not getting free agents... back to reality... its coming soon.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Royal rotation next yr.. LOL
1) shields 32
2)guthrie 35
3) davis who cares how old.. he sucks
4) chen... old and sucky
5) duffy.. young stud lefty that throws in the 90's but has a career era above 5 and a whip above 1.61

World beaters

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KC scouts and developmental coaches are the worst in the league.. flat out.. no excuse for teams like the rangers or red sox to develop more mlb talent than the royals.. when they pick later in the rounds in drafts... Teams like the a's and rays prove its not about money... the royal are just poorly run. Your team does not have the same talent level as a team like the tigers or rays or red sox... its clear to the average eye... You are on a nice run.. but what happens when its over.. did you think about next year? Did you think about how you have a rotation that will lose its top performer almost certainly.. and even if the royals kept him around.. he is over 30.. and will want a long term contract.. good luck with that... I laugh at dayton moore.. he is the worst gm in sports.. he has not direction... i cant see his plan at all.. the rotation has no future.. guthrie is almost 35... shields is going to be a 32 yr old free agent after next yr... santana is a 30 yr old free agent this year.. and who replaces these guys? There are not 3 mlb caliber starters in the royals system ready to take over.. and we all know you are not getting free agents... back to reality... its coming soon.

Duffy, Zimmer, Ventura, Smith, and maybe a College pitcher by then will probably all be in the big leagues; it is fairly likely Paulino is retained as well. This is silly, you are just wildly speculating now at this point. If the Royals are so bad next year, they would trade Shields. Remember, the Brewers got Segura for Grienke... Wasn't Guthrie a free agent just last year; pretty sure that counts as a free agent, MiamiVice. Stick with the facts instead of wild narratives.

edit: I meant that all the pitchers should be in the big leagues within 1-2 years.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duffy, Zimmer, Ventura, Smith, and maybe a College pitcher by then will probably all be in the big leagues; it is fairly likely Paulino is retained as well. This is silly, you are just wildly speculating now at this point. If the Royals are so bad next year, they would trade Shields. Remember, the Brewers got Segura for Grienke... Wasn't Guthrie a free agent just last year; pretty sure that counts as a free agent, MiamiVice. Stick with the facts instead of wild narratives.

edit: I meant that all the pitchers should be in the big leagues within 1-2 years.

I love how royals fans throw guys like duffy and will smith's names out there when you talk about the future rotation.. like they are good.. its great.. your team has been bad so long.. you cant even see how much lower your expectations are for roster spots. Will Smith would not start on any decent mlb team... nor would duffy... Zimmer is hit or miss.. i haven't seen him yet to judge.. Paulino is a career jouneyman that sucked outside of a few starts in kc.. so he is annointed great like bruce chen was... You do realize that guthrie sucks right? Bragging about resigning him is funny.. he is 34.. and blows... he threw a complete game against the TWINS so now he is good? ahhaahaha look at his stats. And you are on the hook for a few more years of that turd. Facts? You want facts? I am giving them to you... Flat out.. the prospects you have to take over your starting rotation are at best number 3's... and most of them are not even mlb level talent... It is what it is man... don't come here puffing out your chest because you won a few games and got over .500 for the first time in aug since 2003... You team is trash... you draft busts often.. you develop players like crap.. and you traded away the best prospect you had in decades for 1.5 seasons of james shields... way to go.. enjoy the ride this year.. it will be the last one over .500 for another decade.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it fans of KC are so ignorant to their teams lack of actual talent? I get that you want to be happy they are actually competing this year.. but my god.. talking about will smith and duffy like they are meaningful parts to a future playoff team? Talking about Guthrie like he is good? Acting like Paulino is a savior? Do you realize how crazy you look to a fan of teams with actual talent and means to get more?

After 2015 when Billy Butler leaves as a free agent.. who dh's bubba starling? i heard he is tearing up the minors... Who replaces shields after next year? Your team was built by the worst GM in pro sports.. with no plan for what would happen down the road...

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really care to get involved but Vice you could at least be consistent...

Duffy sucks to you but only makes 26 starts.

Archer, Straily, Cigrani, Parker, Quintana etc... All have not proven themselves.

Porcello has a higher ceiling.

So how come Archer and all those guys have to make more starts to prove they can sustain. But Duffy can't make more to prove himself?

And best yet why the fuck do you think Rick Porcello is good but won't even consider Duffy having chance?

If you can't see how backwards you are idk what to say. Might be best off if you just converse with Dougy.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how royals fans throw guys like duffy and will smith's names out there when you talk about the future rotation.. like they are good.. its great.. your team has been bad so long.. you cant even see how much lower your expectations are for roster spots. Will Smith would not start on any decent mlb team... nor would duffy... Zimmer is hit or miss.. i haven't seen him yet to judge.. Paulino is a career jouneyman that sucked outside of a few starts in kc.. so he is annointed great like bruce chen was... You do realize that guthrie sucks right? Bragging about resigning him is funny.. he is 34.. and blows... he threw a complete game against the TWINS so now he is good? ahhaahaha look at his stats. And you are on the hook for a few more years of that turd. Facts? You want facts? I am giving them to you... Flat out.. the prospects you have to take over your starting rotation are at best number 3's... and most of them are not even mlb level talent... It is what it is man... don't come here puffing out your chest because you won a few games and got over .500 for the first time in aug since 2003... You team is trash... you draft busts often.. you develop players like crap.. and you traded away the best prospect you had in decades for 1.5 seasons of james shields... way to go.. enjoy the ride this year.. it will be the last one over .500 for another decade.

If Guthrie was horrible, his Era would be 5, not the mid 4s to 4 era we are seeing, far from terrible when you have an excellent bullpen behind him. The K also plays into his favor given that is statistically unfavorable to homerun hitters to begin with. He is pretty average, not good by any means though, that is fine for a #3 starter with an excellent bullpen pitching behind him.
The whole point of pointing out the Guthrie signing was to prove the Royals can in fact sign pitching free agents. Is it as easy for the Royals as say the Yankees? um... no, but it isn't an excuse not to make a signing when it is prudent to do so either. It is simply a loser mentality to think otherwise.

Zimmer, Ventura, and Duffy have all been described as having the ability pitch at the top of the rotation as a ceiling by scouts among others.. I am not alone in this opinion. It isn't a random homer opinion. Paulino is not an ace, I am just hoping he is a respectable #4 or #5 which his peripherals didn't necessarily refute in his limited time in KC; where did you get the idea I thought he was an ace? Yes, he sucked most everywhere else but his numbers in KC do merit a look for 1-2 years to see if they can get any value from him either on the field or the trade block. Again, there has been a different philosophy in drafting players since Moore has been the GM. The Royals have drafted Boras clients instead of being cheap and drafting a meh player instead. Not hard to suck when you don't make an effort to draft the best ( or most talent ) possible. The Royals are also now much much more aggressive in international signings than in the past prior to Moore. You can look at Salvador Perez for example. Is Moore a good GM? Not really, but it is a notable improvement from previous GMs who would do a... poor job to say the least, Glass has no reason to spend money on shit teams, it isn't a shock the Astros payroll is so low now is it. Your post would make a lot more sense if this was 2003-2004, but this is 2013.

Wil Myers is the best prospect in decades for the Royals? Not really, many people were of the opinion that Hosmer would end up being better, but it wasn't exactly a homogenous opinion either. Everyone drafts busts often, where did you get the idea that the success rate is high for draft picks in any organization?

Lol, who are these KC fans who anointed Bruce Chen as a great? They need to be slapped! I can't dispute that, he is a #5 at best.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while Guthrie isn't a world beater he came into the game yesterday with an era at 4.2 something.

Definitely not "turd"

better era than Porcello....

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zimmer said:
What scouts thought Duffy had top of the rotation stuff? Never saw that.. must be a royals scout...

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while Guthrie isn't a world beater he came into the game yesterday with an era at 4.2 something.

Definitely not "turd"

better era than Porcello....

Twins fan talking about starting pitching is funny