• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFCN Hate Guide

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would have told me that after 6 weeks 2 teams would be 3-3 with one of them well out of the playoff picture (at this time) - I would have guessed Bengals well out - with the Steelers the other 3-3, and either the Browns/Raves at 4-2/51.

Ravens holding up where I thought they could be at 5-1 (or 4-2). A big surprise for the Ravens is being 5th, I think, in total points. Clearly the class of the AFCN at this time, but can they keep it up? As long as Jackson is able to use his legs to keep open the passing lanes, this offense is going to be tough to stop - much like KC a few years ago. Jackson doesn't have to run (though he will) to keep defenses up, allowing the WR's and TE's time to work their way open.

Steelers where I thought they would be around 3-3 (though, despite some good last night, man...almost losing a game to Geno Smith is not good and easily could have been 2-4, but I digress). Their offense putting up just 117 total points, or 19.5ppg - is rough. A game here or there with some overthrows, timing off happens...but the more we get into this season, the more it looks like Ben and his WR's just can't connect and it has to go deeper than just a game, or two, of miscues and misfires. I think, to a point, Ben is physically impaired to do what he used to do - and he's trying to offset those with quicker throws, and anticipation throws, but the WR's are not with him...the OL is not helping matters, his severe lack of mobility is showing, and it seems to me, for the first time, Ben is actively trying to not get hit and throwing some balls that he shouldn't. I mean, if the Safety last night doesn't try to catch the INT in OT with his face, it's likely another loss.

Browns at 3-3 is a bit surprising and giving up a division worst 151 points (25 ppg) is odd to me considering how much better everyone (including myself) thought this defense would be. Injuries are racking up. Mayfield is going to be an issue if he doesn't get his shoulder right, even though I know it is his non-throwing shoulder, taking hits and getting driven into the ground is going to cause pain and potential long-term injury concerns. Does that mean sitting him? RB's both are now hurt, with Hunt leaving last night unable to even put weight on his leg. Haven't heard anything on that front, but if he's out for an extended period of time, Browns OL has been hit hard, and with Mayfield nursing his shoulder, possibly down 2 RB's, or even just down to 2 - with the OL and QB ailing, teams are going to start loading up the box, and bringing pressure against the run on their way to hitting Mayfield as much as they can with that shoulder.

Bengals only giving up 111 through 6 games (though to be fair facing the Lions yesterday helps) at just 18.5 ppg is another big time shock (I thought they'd be better, but not doing as well as they have) - and 4-2 has to be the surprise of the division, really. Offense is still not in sync. They have stretches of plays and scores followed by stretches where they gain 6 yards on 6 downs. IMO, play calling is a bit of an issue, as well as the line is better, but still not good. Thus, the inconsistency with the OL is likely tied to the overall inconsistency of the offense. When Mixon can run, or Burrow has time, they are good. When they don't, it's pretty bad because the OL just collapses. Defensively, though, they are keeping teams off the field/board at a rate that allows the offense time to work through some of those inconsistencies - but it will hurt them against better teams (see GB).

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would have told me that after 6 weeks 2 teams would be 3-3 with one of them well out of the playoff picture (at this time) - I would have guessed Bengals well out - with the Steelers the other 3-3, and either the Browns/Raves at 4-2/51.

Ravens holding up where I thought they could be at 5-1 (or 4-2). A big surprise for the Ravens is being 5th, I think, in total points. Clearly the class of the AFCN at this time, but can they keep it up? As long as Jackson is able to use his legs to keep open the passing lanes, this offense is going to be tough to stop - much like KC a few years ago. Jackson doesn't have to run (though he will) to keep defenses up, allowing the WR's and TE's time to work their way open.

Steelers where I thought they would be around 3-3 (though, despite some good last night, man...almost losing a game to Geno Smith is not good and easily could have been 2-4, but I digress). Their offense putting up just 117 total points, or 19.5ppg - is rough. A game here or there with some overthrows, timing off happens...but the more we get into this season, the more it looks like Ben and his WR's just can't connect and it has to go deeper than just a game, or two, of miscues and misfires. I think, to a point, Ben is physically impaired to do what he used to do - and he's trying to offset those with quicker throws, and anticipation throws, but the WR's are not with him...the OL is not helping matters, his severe lack of mobility is showing, and it seems to me, for the first time, Ben is actively trying to not get hit and throwing some balls that he shouldn't. I mean, if the Safety last night doesn't try to catch the INT in OT with his face, it's likely another loss.

Browns at 3-3 is a bit surprising and giving up a division worst 151 points (25 ppg) is odd to me considering how much better everyone (including myself) thought this defense would be. Injuries are racking up. Mayfield is going to be an issue if he doesn't get his shoulder right, even though I know it is his non-throwing shoulder, taking hits and getting driven into the ground is going to cause pain and potential long-term injury concerns. Does that mean sitting him? RB's both are now hurt, with Hunt leaving last night unable to even put weight on his leg. Haven't heard anything on that front, but if he's out for an extended period of time, Browns OL has been hit hard, and with Mayfield nursing his shoulder, possibly down 2 RB's, or even just down to 2 - with the OL and QB ailing, teams are going to start loading up the box, and bringing pressure against the run on their way to hitting Mayfield as much as they can with that shoulder.

Bengals only giving up 111 through 6 games (though to be fair facing the Lions yesterday helps) at just 18.5 ppg is another big time shock (I thought they'd be better, but not doing as well as they have) - and 4-2 has to be the surprise of the division, really. Offense is still not in sync. They have stretches of plays and scores followed by stretches where they gain 6 yards on 6 downs. IMO, play calling is a bit of an issue, as well as the line is better, but still not good. Thus, the inconsistency with the OL is likely tied to the overall inconsistency of the offense. When Mixon can run, or Burrow has time, they are good. When they don't, it's pretty bad because the OL just collapses. Defensively, though, they are keeping teams off the field/board at a rate that allows the offense time to work through some of those inconsistencies - but it will hurt them against better teams (see GB).
BAL... Really tough to figure this team out. They narrowly escaped the Lions & Colts, and lost to the Raiders. Honestly their wins against the Chiefs & Chargers are the only impressive wins. But they have been winning while trying to figure out an identity, which should scare the rest of us lol. With all the injuries they had prior to the season I did not expect them to be sitting at 5-1. Quite impressive job by the coaching staff.

CIN... Agreed on the inconsistencies on offense. But luckily they have the defense to keep them in any game. I'm not surprised to see them at 4-2. Big stretch of games coming up for them. 6 straight AFC games. They need to capitalize while the iron is hot. Getting at least 2 wins in the AFCN during that stretch would be huge. They should be able to sweep the Steelers.

PIT... This team is just too inconsistent on both sides of the ball. Offense is lethargic, predictable, and Ben is not on the same page with his receivers. When he's not heaving the ball up & praying, he's throwing well short of the sticks on possession downs. It's painful to watch. The OL is playing a lot better the past few weeks. They are keeping Ben uprght, but the run game is still a little hit or miss. Still, Ben getting less pressure and still not producing is very concerning. He has been dealing with a really bad hip injury, reportedly has bruising extending from his right hip to his knee. But that doesn't seem to hinder him as much as he was already hindered by his age lol. At least I haven't noticed any difference from weeks 1 through 6. This team will win or lose on the back of its defense until their new OC & Ben can pull their heads out of their asses.

CLE... Not at all surprised at them being 500, and I still think they are an easy contender in the AFC. Schedule is tough, but they have a bunch of "get-right" games coming up. Unfortunately for them they have a short turnaround to Thursday Night Football this week after suffering a bunch of injuries against AZ. They need to find a way to beat DEN, and then they will have extra days of prep for the Steelers the following week. Then they go on the road to CIN & NE. They need to win at least 3/4 of those AFC games. Tough row to hoe if they can't stay healthy.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCLtMMwVEAA_oNg

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Canada's offensive schemes:

goKPJ1p.jpeg

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Canada's offensive schemes:

goKPJ1p.jpeg
Saw something to the effect that Pitt is the first team to complete 2 passes on 4th down that went for negative yards earlier this season in game ending drives, or some such. I know one of those plays was against Cincinnati - they tried some swing pass, or outlet pass that he completed and was tackled for a loss.

You have to work hard to run 4th down plays that end with a completed pass for negative yardage, especially in end-game situations.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw something to the effect that Pitt is the first team to complete 2 passes on 4th down that went for negative yards earlier this season in game ending drives, or some such. I know one of those plays was against Cincinnati - they tried some swing pass, or outlet pass that he completed and was tackled for a loss.

You have to work hard to run 4th down plays that end with a completed pass for negative yardage, especially in end-game situations.
Yep yep… Mmmhmmm

I’m still feeling the frustration over those plays. Complete stupidity

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for an avi bet Turdstains... Who's ready?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice Bengals fans are still too much in shock over what went down on Sunday....too afraid to acknowledge anything less we wake from this dream.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Notice Bengals fans are still too much in shock over what went down on Sunday....too afraid to acknowledge anything less we wake from this dream.
Understandable... Mike Brown has fostered mediocrity & pessimism for decades lol

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Understandable... Mike Brown has fostered mediocrity & pessimism for decades lol
Funny thing is - a lot of the newer stuff (Bengals actually spending in F/A, more fan engagement, etc...) has been from his Granddaughter, Katie and Troy Blackburn's kid.

Mike is still around and has some say in some matters, but he really has been mostly hands off the past 10 years with his Daughter and Son-in-Law handling more of the day-to-day stuff, and him just weighing in from time to time. Now his granddaughter is involved, and she is showing them how the NFL has to be done in the modern era.

I always said Mike Brown wanted to win - but he only wanted to win "his way" - which was rooted in the 80's. He doesn't overpay for certain positions, and doesn't believe in free agency. One of the worst things to happen was the run in 2002-2008 where they lucked into Palmer/Johnson and really good drafts, and then against from 2011-2015 when they did the same with Dalton/Green...but never built around that window to win continuing to believe they did not need to supplement through F/A or improve the team in other ways.

Now, again, they've kind of lucked into Burrow/Higgins/Chase and have actually supplemented, at least on defense, to help the offense. More help is needed on the OL - but they are improving and are already better than last year. I know the Steelers missed Watt in the last game, but between the 2 AFC games, both on the road, the OL has given up a combined 1 sack to Pitt/Balt. That's still very impressive.

The cap is in great shape (one thing Brown has always done well with) so they have room for additions and extensions. The window may be opening a bit early for this team, but they have enough flexibility to keep the window open for the next few years with relative ease.

But - the biggest thing is - Burrow has brought the feeling that no matter what is going on - he gives the Bengals an actual chance to win. Good/Great teams have that. Ben had it in his prime. Mahomes. Brady. Brees. Now, I'm not saying Burrow are just like those guys other than, he exudes this confidence that no matter what is going on - when he steps onto the field, the Bengals have an actual chance of winning that game.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny thing is - a lot of the newer stuff (Bengals actually spending in F/A, more fan engagement, etc...) has been from his Granddaughter, Katie and Troy Blackburn's kid.

Mike is still around and has some say in some matters, but he really has been mostly hands off the past 10 years with his Daughter and Son-in-Law handling more of the day-to-day stuff, and him just weighing in from time to time. Now his granddaughter is involved, and she is showing them how the NFL has to be done in the modern era.

I always said Mike Brown wanted to win - but he only wanted to win "his way" - which was rooted in the 80's. He doesn't overpay for certain positions, and doesn't believe in free agency. One of the worst things to happen was the run in 2002-2008 where they lucked into Palmer/Johnson and really good drafts, and then against from 2011-2015 when they did the same with Dalton/Green...but never built around that window to win continuing to believe they did not need to supplement through F/A or improve the team in other ways.

Now, again, they've kind of lucked into Burrow/Higgins/Chase and have actually supplemented, at least on defense, to help the offense. More help is needed on the OL - but they are improving and are already better than last year. I know the Steelers missed Watt in the last game, but between the 2 AFC games, both on the road, the OL has given up a combined 1 sack to Pitt/Balt. That's still very impressive.

The cap is in great shape (one thing Brown has always done well with) so they have room for additions and extensions. The window may be opening a bit early for this team, but they have enough flexibility to keep the window open for the next few years with relative ease.

But - the biggest thing is - Burrow has brought the feeling that no matter what is going on - he gives the Bengals an actual chance to win. Good/Great teams have that. Ben had it in his prime. Mahomes. Brady. Brees. Now, I'm not saying Burrow are just like those guys other than, he exudes this confidence that no matter what is going on - when he steps onto the field, the Bengals have an actual chance of winning that game.
I started noticing this change in ownership philosophy over the last 2 years... Definitely seemed to be kicking their older habits to the curb which is a good thing. The "Mike Brown System" as mrschaney fondly refers to so often was a hindrance in the modern age. They were bleeding too much talent and not aggressively utilizing their capital to make the roster better.

Burrow was an easy pick for Cincy, and I agree he has brought a lot more optimism to the franchise. Dalton was a good QB, but rarely showed up in the most important games. Burrow looks like he will show up any given day, and twice on Sunday, no matter who plays alongside him. And having such a young team performing this well in the early portions of their career affords the team to be more aggressive in FA. For the record, I didn't agree with them picking Tee Higgins when they were so desperate to rebuild their OL & their defense was trash. But Higgins impressed me last year.

I was having a lengthy AFCN convo this offseason with a Steeler buddy of mine, and he refused to take me seriously when I told him the Bengals were more of a contender to the AFCN than the Steelers. I kept sayin that if all their defensive personnel changes come to fruition then its going to be a tough team to beat.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I started noticing this change in ownership philosophy over the last 2 years... Definitely seemed to be kicking their older habits to the curb which is a good thing. The "Mike Brown System" as mrschaney fondly refers to so often was a hindrance in the modern age. They were bleeding too much talent and not aggressively utilizing their capital to make the roster better.

Burrow was an easy pick for Cincy, and I agree he has brought a lot more optimism to the franchise. Dalton was a good QB, but rarely showed up in the most important games. Burrow looks like he will show up any given day, and twice on Sunday, no matter who plays alongside him. And having such a young team performing this well in the early portions of their career affords the team to be more aggressive in FA. For the record, I didn't agree with them picking Tee Higgins when they were so desperate to rebuild their OL & their defense was trash. But Higgins impressed me last year.

I was having a lengthy AFCN convo this offseason with a Steeler buddy of mine, and he refused to take me seriously when I told him the Bengals were more of a contender to the AFCN than the Steelers. I kept sayin that if all their defensive personnel changes come to fruition then its going to be a tough team to beat.
You are correct. That is the time the Granddaughter was starting her push with the Club. It's been a breath of fresh air to finally have someone who is looking at the NFL in the current state, and not allowing the past to be the driver. Honor the past, but make your own future.

The defense was so injured last year, it was hard to see how anything worked. At one point they were missing 7 starters, and were playing 2 DB's signed from the street major minutes down the stretch. I figured they would be better by default of health, but adding guys like Hinton (Huge signing, IMO for the secondary) and Ogunsobi and the trade for BJ Hill and Hendrickson have bolstered the DL and the pass-rush big time. Last year the Bengals were dead last in sacks with just 17 for the year. They have 19 right now. Logan Wilson has turned into a machine at MLB - and is playing at a Pro-bowl level. Losing Waynes again at DB has hurt, but Awuzie has stepped up and with Hinton being the nickle-guy already, the trickle-down hasn't been as bad. Apple still isn't really a starting DB, but he's holding his own at least for now. Bates and Bell are solid at that back end.

If they were to make 1 trade for this year - I would look for a quality Center. Hopkins hasn't rebounded from his ACL as hoped, and is posting grades that are 30 points below his usual PFF blocking grades. I think if they could find a trade partner for a good C and get them integrated, this OL could go from the lower teens into near top 10. They are already #6 is win rate run blocking, and #19 at win rate pass blocking (which is still better than nearly dead last from 2020)...but if they could get that #19 into the top 15 (Maybe 14) - this offense will see its consistency go from good to great, and I think the unit can go from above average to near elite.

I think you and I agreed on Pitt in the off-season - I know you wanted 1 last ride with Ben - but I think this is showing to be the wrong approach. Maybe things will rebound a bit, but I would have rather bit the bullet this year, clear the cap, set yourself up going for 2022 and looking at QB's or signing a veteran F/A....The OL has to be improved. The RB is good, but not getting enough blocking. Ben can't move, and with the lack of consistent blocking, and lack of arm strength, I believe he is trying to off-set too much causing passes to be off-target, or him and the W/R not on the same page. WR's are good. Defense is good, generally speaking. They need more out of the OL and QB.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct. That is the time the Granddaughter was starting her push with the Club. It's been a breath of fresh air to finally have someone who is looking at the NFL in the current state, and not allowing the past to be the driver. Honor the past, but make your own future.

The defense was so injured last year, it was hard to see how anything worked. At one point they were missing 7 starters, and were playing 2 DB's signed from the street major minutes down the stretch. I figured they would be better by default of health, but adding guys like Hinton (Huge signing, IMO for the secondary) and Ogunsobi and the trade for BJ Hill and Hendrickson have bolstered the DL and the pass-rush big time. Last year the Bengals were dead last in sacks with just 17 for the year. They have 19 right now. Logan Wilson has turned into a machine at MLB - and is playing at a Pro-bowl level. Losing Waynes again at DB has hurt, but Awuzie has stepped up and with Hinton being the nickle-guy already, the trickle-down hasn't been as bad. Apple still isn't really a starting DB, but he's holding his own at least for now. Bates and Bell are solid at that back end.

If they were to make 1 trade for this year - I would look for a quality Center. Hopkins hasn't rebounded from his ACL as hoped, and is posting grades that are 30 points below his usual PFF blocking grades. I think if they could find a trade partner for a good C and get them integrated, this OL could go from the lower teens into near top 10. They are already #6 is win rate run blocking, and #19 at win rate pass blocking (which is still better than nearly dead last from 2020)...but if they could get that #19 into the top 15 (Maybe 14) - this offense will see its consistency go from good to great, and I think the unit can go from above average to near elite.

I think you and I agreed on Pitt in the off-season - I know you wanted 1 last ride with Ben - but I think this is showing to be the wrong approach. Maybe things will rebound a bit, but I would have rather bit the bullet this year, clear the cap, set yourself up going for 2022 and looking at QB's or signing a veteran F/A....The OL has to be improved. The RB is good, but not getting enough blocking. Ben can't move, and with the lack of consistent blocking, and lack of arm strength, I believe he is trying to off-set too much causing passes to be off-target, or him and the W/R not on the same page. WR's are good. Defense is good, generally speaking. They need more out of the OL and QB.
I still stand behind the choice to give Ben 1 last ride... But what I could not & still cannot agree with was not putting more effort into revamping the OL. The draft picks were good but they needed to invest more into FA. They had zero problems freeing up a bundle of cap room and more to get TJ Watt's contract done and they still have $11m in space this year... Why they couldn't manage to get 1-2 more OL earlier in March is beyond me. Especially if they felt BPA was their plan in the draft. Ignoring the OL until the 3rd Rd really hurt them. Things have turned around the last couple games but who knows if it will continue to improve. Not making any excuses for Ben though. He has played like ass thus far.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's almost like every single fan in here is afraid to talk shit because nobody has any clue how things are going to shake out... lol

Bengals... Not accustomed to this level of success
Nervous Ted Striker GIF by filmeditor

Browns... Injured team & suspecting a failure?
Scared Ron Burgundy GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

Ravens... Just got punched in the mouth.
Friday Movie Running GIF

Steelers... Are we rebuilding or nah?
pig GIF