• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC Championship Game Week Thread

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com:

Denver features "an anemic pass defense that has, in less than a month, lost its best pass rusher in Miller and its best coverage man in Harris"

"(While the Broncos defense has certainly struggled with injuries,) Harris going down, though, feels like a tipping point...Harris played more defensive snaps than any other Broncos player in the regular season, and his versatility -- he could play on either side, outside or in the slot -- gave Denver tremendous flexibility in how to deploy others. For instance, Bailey, limited by a foot injury, had worked mostly in the slot; he is now one of the candidates to move outside to replace Harris."

"Harris was not only Denver's best cover cornerback but the Broncos' best defensive player"

"Harris' importance to the Broncos was obvious from the moment he was lost midway through the third quarter on Sunday. Suddenly -- and not coincidentally -- San Diego's Philip Rivers began throwing and connecting, targeting Harris' replacement, Quentin Jammer, who admitted later that mental mistakes led to his poor play. The Chargers scored 17 fourth-quarter points, including two touchdown passes to Keenan Allen."

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bd-4UtrCEAAMoNm.jpg

Morpheus

RANGERS LEAD THE WAY!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both teams had to play in that weather. Advantage neither team.

When the wind is blowing in the same direction, advantage to who wins the coin toss and takes the appropriate endzone to defend and get the wind at your back 4th quarter, or OT as it were in the last game.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hmm. Not exactly sure what you mean by that. Certainly the Pats have undergone a lot of coaching and personnel changes since Brady's been the QB, but they are still the Pats. PFM, on the other hand, is now on his second of "two completely different teams".
You seem to know what I mean by that. The original post you responded to mentioned Bradshaw and Montana. You pointed out that he has been on ring number 3 for a while now. My point was that this is a completely different team than the Patriots teams of the past. I understand it's still the Patriots, I'm not retarded. However, Brady is the only member of those teams remaining.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I didn't know we had pussy MODS here, IMO what T-SHirt did has done and will probably do is a distraction from the thread. Just lock him down for general douchery. It would be cool if you could ban a guy from just one thread.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You seem to know what I mean by that. The original post you responded to mentioned Bradshaw and Montana. You pointed out that he has been on ring number 3 for a while now. My point was that this is a completely different team than the Patriots teams of the past. I understand it's still the Patriots, I'm not retarded. However, Brady is the only member of those teams remaining.

I thought that you were probably referring to the fact that the Pats have undergone a lot of personnel and coaching changes since NE's last SB win. As another poster pointed out, though, most teams do pretty much turn over in a nine year span. I also thought it was strange to emphasize the Pats roster having turned over since they last won a SB, since Manning is on an entirely different team since his team last won one.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow I didn't know we had pussy MODS here, IMO what T-SHirt did has done and will probably do is a distraction from the thread. Just lock him down for general douchery. It would be cool if you could ban a guy from just one thread.

I normally don't object to tshirt's copy and paste posts. Since there is already another thread titled "Brady v. Manning", however, it might make sense to restrict pieces emphasizing that topic to that thread.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that you were probably referring to the fact that the Pats have undergone a lot of personnel and coaching changes since NE's last SB win. As another poster pointed out, though, most teams do pretty much turn over in a nine year span. I also thought it was strange to emphasize the Pats roster having turned over since they last won a SB, since Manning is on an entirely different team since his team last won one.
Of course most teams turn over in a nine year span. I'm not saying what the Patriots have done is any different than any team. However, staying competitive for this long while turning over is what is rare and winning the Super Bowl this year would cement that. I'm going to look it up because I'm really curious. But how many teams have made the conference championship 8 times in a 13 season span? I'm guessing not many.

And my post had nothing to do with Manning. I've said this in another thread. If Manning were to win the Super Bowl this year, having completed the greatest season a QB has ever had, while playing for literally a completely different team and winning with two different teams, he surpasses Brady. For now.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course most teams turn over in a nine year span. I'm not saying what the Patriots have done is any different than any team. However, staying competitive for this long while turning over is what is rare and winning the Super Bowl this year would cement that. I'm going to look it up because I'm really curious. But how many teams have made the conference championship 8 times in a 13 season span? I'm guessing not many.

And my post had nothing to do with Manning. I've said this in another thread. If Manning were to win the Super Bowl this year, having completed the greatest season a QB has ever had, while playing for literally a completely different team and winning with two different teams, he surpasses Brady. For now.

Got it. I don't disagree with any of that and I suspect NE is the only team to have reached the conference title game that many times over that period.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think what the Patriots with Brady and Manning with the Colts/Broncos has shown that if you can get a franchise quarterback then at that point you have the biggest piece of the puzzle already in place. This is why the value of a quarterback has sky rocketed these days and are getting overdrafted. Teams see what these two guys have done for their franchises in making them competitive every year and realize that to stay on top that is one thing that is needed. This also then gives a team a chance to continue to develop the players around them through the draft and BB and the Patriots have done a nice job of that.

I think the continuity at Head Coach is another huge piece of the puzzle. Having that same voice year after year keeps things stable no matter how many coordinators leave around the Head Coach. These teams that change head coaches every couple of years are doomed from the beginning. Unfortunately this is a win now league where unless a coach is tearing an organization apart should be given at least 3 years to get a couple of drafts, FA, and time to develop some talent around them.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I normally don't object to tshirt's copy and paste posts. Since there is already another thread titled "Brady v. Manning", however, it might make sense to restrict pieces emphasizing that topic to that thread.

Exactly the thread was there all he wanted to do was incite another Brady vs Manning debate. It was an attempt to take hostage a thread that was not want he wanted it to be.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, the Patriots are going to lose to the Broncos - Sports - The Boston Globe

In the piece linked above Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaunessy predicts a Broncos win, though he also asserts that the Broncos "self doubt" is the Pats' "top weapon" heading into the game. Personally, I think that Shaugnessy overlooks that what he labels self doubt also provides a lot of motivation to overcome past failures when he writes this:

"What do the Patriots have going for them? As usual, they have the fragility of the opposition. This is their top weapon: the self-doubt of the other team. The Broncos have plenty of doubt. They spit the bit against the Ravens in the playoffs last year. They choked away a 24-0 lead in Foxborough in November. Peyton Manning lives with the notion that he is the latter-day Wilt Chamberlain: all numbers, not so many rings."

If NE wins, I doubt that self doubt plays near the role that Shaunassy suggests.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, the Patriots are going to lose to the Broncos - Sports - The Boston Globe

In the piece linked above Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaunessy predicts a Broncos win, though he also asserts that the Broncos "self doubt" is the Pats' "top weapon" heading into the game. Personally, I think that Shaugnessy overlooks that what he labels self doubt also provides a lot of motivation to overcome past failures when he writes this:

"What do the Patriots have going for them? As usual, they have the fragility of the opposition. This is their top weapon: the self-doubt of the other team. The Broncos have plenty of doubt. They spit the bit against the Ravens in the playoffs last year. They choked away a 24-0 lead in Foxborough in November. Peyton Manning lives with the notion that he is the latter-day Wilt Chamberlain: all numbers, not so many rings."

If NE wins, I doubt that self doubt plays near the role that Shaunassy suggests.

I think that win against the Chargers was exactly what the Broncos needed to get rid of some of the demons from last season. If this was the divisional round game against the Patriots I could maybe agree with him but the big win and to get over that hump I think the Broncos will be just fine. Doesn't mean they will win as this is two great teams and BB is the great equalizer in this game to me.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that win against the Chargers was exactly what the Broncos needed to get rid of some of the demons from last season. If this was the divisional round game against the Patriots I could maybe agree with him but the big win and to get over that hump I think the Broncos will be just fine. Doesn't mean they will win as this is two great teams and BB is the great equalizer in this game to me.

Totally agree. We had just lost at home to them a few weeks earlier and they were coming off their upset win at the Bengals. Not saying that we will certainly win, of course, but if we do lose I don't think that it will be due to "self doubt".

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is a drag for Broncs fans that Harris is out. Esp this late into the season. My regrets for y'all.

Next man up. It's the NFL and all teams lose players due to injury and/or incarceration :whistle:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the wind is blowing in the same direction, advantage to who wins the coin toss and takes the appropriate endzone to defend and get the wind at your back 4th quarter, or OT as it were in the last game.

Unless you are Tom Brady and can channel the wind god to always blow in a direction favorable to you.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Got it. I don't disagree with any of that and I suspect NE is the only team to have reached the conference title game that many times over that period.
I did find one. The Cowboys from 1970-1982 went to 10 conference championship games. They won 5 NFC championships and 2 Super Bowls in that span.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly the thread was there all he wanted to do was incite another Brady vs Manning debate. It was an attempt to take hostage a thread that was not want he wanted it to be.

Actually, you are the one derailing the thread. First you complain about Brady v Manning being discussed, which is a key aspect and storyline to the game. Now your last two posts aren't even talking about the game any more.

self doubt is the thing that led that author to think his team isn't going to win. to be fair, he did admit "I am often wrong (remember the 2013 Red Sox, destined for last place?)"

can't get more wrong than to think the Red Sox were destined for last place when they ended up winning the World Series after finishing the regular season with more wins than anybody

he did make a good point here:

"Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio is another matter. Del Rio helps the Patriots. He consistently has been overwhelmed by the Aura of Bill. Del Rio twice was spanked by Belichick in playoff games when he was head coach of the Jaguars. Del Rio was serving as interim head coach of the Broncos when Denver blew the big lead at Gillette. Del Rio is the man who neglected to have a second punt returner standing in front of Wes Welker in overtime."

remember, per Boston.com: "Brady has owned Jack Del Rio defenses over the course of his career; he is 171-of-235 (72.8 percent) for 1,774 yards (7.5 YPA), 17 touchdowns and a 118.3 passer rating when squaring off against a Del Rio defense."

when you look at the match-ups of

Manning v BB
Brady v Fox/Del Rio

Brady owns Del Rio much more than Manning does BB

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady owns Del Rio much more than Manning does BB

I agree that the Denver coaching staff has its work cut out for them. Brady and Manning and their current teammates also figure to play important roles.