• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AFC Championship Game Week Thread

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Belichick will probably get the Broncos to think the game is on Saturday.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just because people mention the weather doesn't mean what homer is implying

Oh, I must have misinterpreted the meaning of Patriots not having the weather on their side.

:rollseyes:

Both teams had to play in that weather. Advantage neither team.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'm far less concerned about the weather than I am about getting Blount on the ground. I knew that he's been on a tear recently, but I didn't realize the extent of the numbers he's put up over the last three games: 431 yards and 8 TDs. Gearing up to stop him, of course, can also leave the defense vulnerable to play action passing. Broncos defense may have to play its best game of the season in order to win Sunday.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NEHomer the only reason Bronco fans bring up the weather is because you made such a huge deal about it just a couple of weeks ago. I mean we have pages upon pages of you talking about how Peyton can't play in the bad weather even though we showed you evidence that he does just fine. Then look at last Sunday where he played in 40 mph winds and did just fine. The bringing up the weather thing is just a sarcastic shot at you that the Pats won't have the weather on their side this time like you had hoped since pretty sure it was you that was hoping for as ugly of weather as could be for this game.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally, I'm far less concerned about the weather than I am about getting Blount on the ground. I knew that he's been on a tear recently, but I didn't realize the extent of the numbers he's put up over the last three games: 431 yards and 8 TDs. Gearing up to stop him, of course, can also leave the defense vulnerable to play action passing. Broncos defense may have to play its best game of the season in order to win Sunday.

His numbers are up because BB saved him for this run. The Pats have a nice stable of RBs that all offer something different. If we had Gronk I would give the edge to the Pats in this game, right now I just don't know and don't really feel comfortable making a pick. I just hope we have a clean, hard fought game that the refs don't screw up.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last game the Patriots won in overtime off a bad turnover. No Gronk this time, but they've got the running game really going. Fortunately that actually plays to Denver's strength as we are much better defending the run than the pass.

Losing Chris Harris really hurts, but we've got Julius Thomas back who didn't play in New England. We are also without Von Miller who had his best game of the season against the Patriots and was a big reason we were able to build that huge lead.

As for the weather comment, I mentioned that simply so we could eliminate any weather related narrative. It will be a non-factor.

At home, with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, I like the Broncos chances.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His numbers are up because BB saved him for this run. The Pats have a nice stable of RBs that all offer something different. If we had Gronk I would give the edge to the Pats in this game, right now I just don't know and don't really feel comfortable making a pick. I just hope we have a clean, hard fought game that the refs don't screw up.

I'll tell you what, we have the 2 best AFC teams going at it just like it should be. Gonna be a rematch of a crazy game and the 2 best QBs going head to head again. It doesn't get any better than that. :suds:

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yea ..those damn Refs.

Their job is so much easier now with the new rules for illegal hits.

All they have to do is keep an eye on 22 different moving men in a 5000 square yard area and examine each one for any one of a dozen rule infractions and do so in 1 to 5 seconds ...and then go to work the next day.

Piece of cake.

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last game the Patriots won in overtime off a bad turnover. No Gronk this time, but they've got the running game really going. Fortunately that actually plays to Denver's strength as we are much better defending the run than the pass.

Losing Chris Harris really hurts, but we've got Julius Thomas back who didn't play in New England. We are also without Von Miller who had his best game of the season against the Patriots and was a big reason we were able to build that huge lead.

As for the weather comment, I mentioned that simply so we could eliminate any weather related narrative. It will be a non-factor.

At home, with a trip to the Super Bowl on the line, I like the Broncos chances.

I think our O Line is leaps and bounds better than the SD line, that is where it's gonna be won which ever team dominates that line is gonna win.

I'll tell you what, we have the 2 best AFC teams going at it just like it should be. Gonna be a rematch of a crazy game and the 2 best QBs going head to head again. It doesn't get any better than that. :suds:

Agreed, I hate the Brady Manning threads I feel blessed for being able to watch both of them.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way these threads have been going over the last several weeks, People have come to believe that the New England Patriots cannot play football unless it's raining, snowing or a typhoon because every other NFL team plays in a climate controlled dome.

The Patriots are equally formidable in warm, dry, clear weather. They play better than every other team in foul weather because Belichick doesn't let his teams get rattled by exterior conditions.

This game will be decided by mistakes, both large and small. A missed coverage, a critical penalty, a fumble or interception. The Patriots game plan will be ball control and keeping the Denver offense off the field. The Denver game plan will be to get the aerial assault going early and not let up.

Both defenses have had problems and Denver lost Harris this week which hurts an already weak secondary. Trying to back fill a critical spot in one week is extremely difficult in a high pressure game. The Patriots have had the luxury of trying out multiple players at every position where they've lost personnel and the defense is now as healthy as it's going to get.

Don't be surprised to see the Patriots come out throwing the ball and using the pass to set up the run. Fox will not vary from the formula that has given the Broncos success and he'll stay with it even if he's getting crushed because he's not the type of coach who changes things in mid-stream. Belichick will change things between play calls on the field requiring the defense to make adjustments constantly.

Like I said, mistakes will determine who gets to play one more game......

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way these threads have been going over the last several weeks, People have come to believe that the New England Patriots cannot play football unless it's raining, snowing or a typhoon because every other NFL team plays in a climate controlled dome.

The Patriots are equally formidable in warm, dry, clear weather. They play better than every other team in foul weather because Belichick doesn't let his teams get rattled by exterior conditions.

This game will be decided by mistakes, both large and small. A missed coverage, a critical penalty, a fumble or interception. The Patriots game plan will be ball control and keeping the Denver offense off the field. The Denver game plan will be to get the aerial assault going early and not let up.

Both defenses have had problems and Denver lost Harris this week which hurts an already weak secondary. Trying to back fill a critical spot in one week is extremely difficult in a high pressure game. The Patriots have had the luxury of trying out multiple players at every position where they've lost personnel and the defense is now as healthy as it's going to get.

Don't be surprised to see the Patriots come out throwing the ball and using the pass to set up the run. Fox will not vary from the formula that has given the Broncos success and he'll stay with it even if he's getting crushed because he's not the type of coach who changes things in mid-stream. Belichick will change things between play calls on the field requiring the defense to make adjustments constantly.

Surely you don't truly believe this. I mean, it's really unlikely that you truly, honestly believe that, right? Just look back at the Chargers game for a perfect example: the Broncos brought out a ball control, run the ball offense. They rarely went to the no-huddle, quick pace offense.

I don't understand why everyone seems to think the Broncos are a one dimensional offense. You don't score the most points in NFL history without being able to move the ball multiple ways. I'm not going to argue the Broncos are a great running team, but they are good enough running the ball to beat you with it if you completely ignore it.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not really sure what you mean by that. The Broncos offense, which has played the most prominent role in Denver's success this year, is far from one dimensional.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You really don't know the Broncos very well do you? We shall see if the Broncos come out throwing or not. Last time these 2 teams met the Broncos ran it down the Patriots throats as they sold out to stop the pass. Peyton is not afraid to just let the run game take over if that is what the defense is giving him. The Broncos have 2 very good RB's of their own to throw at the Patriots. Plus the running game going early helps the Broncos with the play action later in the game.

Defensively you are right the loss of Chris Harris will be a tough one but the Broncos do have 3 other corners who have all had to start this year as back ups because of Champ Bailey being gone most of the season. That is the other part is there is no telling quite what Champ will bring to the table for this game if he will be like his old Pro Bowl self or a shell of that player. So far in his return he has done very well and given up minimal catches. Defensively I will say the one position the Broncos do have a ton of depth at is the DL so I expect them to have a nice rotation to try and keep up with the Patriots run game.

Also you really don't know Fox that well. He had been a run first type coach most of his career partly because he never had a good quarterback to play with until Peyton Manning. Now with Manning he has allowed the offense to do what they want. Heck look at last year to this year in the Divisional Game. Last year the Broncos had a 3rd and 7 late in the game and chose to run it to burn clock. This year they had 3rd and 17 late in the game and chose to pass it for the 1st down. He is willing to take a few more risks this year that he never has before. He trusts his team to make plays and so far they have answered the bell.

Now the weather comment wasn't geared towards whether the Patriots can only play in bad weather. If you would follow the conversation in here it is geared towards NEHomer who came to the Broncos board barking up a storm about how Peyton can't play in bad weather so us Bronco fans just wanted him to know that he doesn't have to worry about the weather bothering Peyton for this game. Obviously the Patriots can play in good weather as they have played plenty in it this year.

I do agree this game will come down to who makes the fewer mistakes. One turnover could make all the difference of who wins and who loses. The Broncos and Patriots have been about equal in turnovers so we shall see who blinks first.

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes you know this because we've gotten crushed so many times the last couple years...You a fucking analyst professionally or sompin?

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bd0xrdOCQAAGDF4.jpg

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sports columnist for The Oklahoman:

"(Manning v Brady is) perhaps the most remarkable individual rivalry in American sport history.
Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell were famous NBA rivals, but their playoff showdowns spanned just the '60s. The Magic Johnson/Larry Bird waltz began with the 1979 NCAA title game but really ended with the 1988 NBA Finals. Mickey Mantle and Willie Mays shared the New York City center field spotlight for only seven years. When Arnold Palmer won his final major, Jack Nicklaus had won just three of his eventual 18.
You want a rivalry to match this one?
Maybe only Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, who met in 22 majors from 1975 through 1988.
And Brady and Manning still are going strong...They are American sporting treasures."

MrMoJoRisin63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where it was the NE Patriots vs the Denver Broncos

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw where it was the NE Patriots vs the Denver Broncos

Exactly. The "Brady v. Manning rivalry" is a misnomer. Wilt and Russell, like Bird and Magic, on the other hand, actually played against one another.

tshirt

hot dogs mmm
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boston Herald:

This is the greatest rivalry in pro sports today, and we’re lucky to have witnessed it 14 times over 13 seasons. Bird and Magic met in the NBA Finals three times in four years and that was it. Ali and Frazier fought three times. Marino and Elway played just three times.

Brady and Manning seemingly have it all, but they don’t have this: the elusive Next Super Bowl, that twilight title that belongs at the end of any great sports story. Brady needs it desperately. Manning needs it even more.
Brady and Manning are the two biggest stars in this country’s biggest sport, and on Sunday, they will play the biggest non-Super Bowl game in NFL history. ... you just know the game will be remembered for years, maybe for generations. ... This is about legacies.

For Brady: You want to be Montana? Here is your chance. You haven’t won a Super Bowl since you were 27 years old. You’re 36. ... Brady hasn't won the Lombardi Trophy in nine years. Seven years ago today was the last time the Patriots won a postseason game outside of Gillette Stadium. Brady is 4-5 in his last nine playoff games. If Brady wins, he will reaffirm his reputation as a big-game quarterback, cold-blooded and clutch like his idol Montana.

If Manning wins, it’ll be the second straight time he has beaten Brady in an AFC Championship Game. The last time Manning lost to the Patriots in the postseason was nine years ago. Manning has a chance to complete the greatest season a quarterback has ever had. Manning is the favorite to win an NFL-high fifth MVP award...Bill Russell and Michael Jordan both won five MVPs.
If Manning loses, we will immediately wonder if he’ll ever have another chance. He’ll be 38 in March. Next season he’ll be older than his boss, John Elway, was in 1999 when Elway became the oldest quarterback to win a Super Bowl.
Manning had an epic 2013 regular season, but he still bowed to Brady. He still struggled with the pressure that rolls in like horror-movie fog every time he plays (BB and) the Patriots. The fog rolls in even heavier on Sunday. The Broncos will be home, but the pressure is on like never before. If Manning wins, he changes his legacy. And if Manning wins, we will stand and applaud him and wish him luck against whichever bunch of obnoxious, loudmouth punks wins the NFC title.
But if he doesn’t? It’s over. Sorry. Manning is out of the conversation. He goes home with his MVP trophies and his passing records, and the greatest quarterback ever goes on to New Jersey for Super Bowl XLVIII.