• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Adam Silver on KD-Warriors: Not Good For NBA

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the NBA kidding? They're making more money than ever and the existence of high power teams like the Warriors, Cavs and Spurs will help them make a ton more. I don't think the league will be better if they make rules to weaken the top teams for the sake of parity/mediocrity. Fans remember the great teams. As impressive as the 2004 Pistons or 2011 Mavericks were for their accomplishments, no one really talks about them, but people will always remember the Shaq-Kobe Lakers and the LeBron Heat.

Also, the situation right now is still plenty competitive. The Warriors and Cavs are leading the way, but the Spurs are still the Spurs, the Clippers have plenty of star power, and the Celtics are getting really good. The Grizzlies are coming back healthy and have added Parsons. You also have some young teams like the Wolves and the Blazers who are on the rise. Do we really want rules that will force those young teams to break up before they reach their peak?

The Warriors drafted well, planned well, and took advantage of a large cap spike. All the things that came together to land them Durant will be hard to replicate in the future. Do we really need rules for something that is unlikely to happen again?

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Warriors drafted well, planned well, and took advantage of a large cap spike. All the things that came together to land them Durant will be hard to replicate in the future. Do we really need rules for something that is unlikely to happen again?

:agree:

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This shouldn't have anything to do with the Warriors and more to do with KD. HE joined a great team already to improve his legacy and win a championship. If anything should be said negatively it should be about KD and not about the Warriors. The Warriors did everything they could to become an even greater team and succeeded, hats off to them. KD takes a little bit less money to join the best team the last two years, that's on him. I still don't think he will take much hate and people will get over it BUT if the Warriors do not win it all, KD will take much criticism and unfortunately the Warriors will too...that's just the way it is of course.

For all we know, Westbrook could've told him that he doesn't think he's coming back. Even if he didn't tell him anything, the fact remains that Westbrook is not committed to OKC beyond the 2016-2017 season. Also, for all we know, maybe KD is tired of playing with Westbrook. We shouldn't fault the guy for wanting a better, happier work environment if that were the case.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I’ve read several stories suggesting that that’s something that the league wants, this notion of two super teams, that it’s a huge television attraction,” Silver said. “I don’t think it’s good for the league, just to be really clear.

“There’s no question, when you aggregate a group of great players, they have a better chance of winning than many other teams. On the other hand, there are lots of things that have to happen. We’ll see what happens in Golden State. You had a great, great chemistry among a group of players and you’re adding another superstar to the mix, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. But just to be absolutely clear, I do not think that's ideal from a league standpoint.”

Source: KD to Warriors bad for NBA? Adam Silver chimes in
Silver is full of shit; he loves it! Its going to bring in so much attention and coverage for the NBA he'll be in hog heaven.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For all we know, Westbrook could've told him that he doesn't think he's coming back. Even if he didn't tell him anything, the fact remains that Westbrook is not committed to OKC beyond the 2016-2017 season. Also, for all we know, maybe KD is tired of playing with Westbrook. We shouldn't fault the guy for wanting a better, happier work environment if that were the case.

Yeah, it is better just not to assume anything bc we don't know but we know he had a great team around him already and that's all we know. My guess though is if KD stays Westbrook stays, but like you said maybe KD doesn't want to play with Westbrook.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, it is better just not to assume anything bc we don't know but we know he had a great team around him already and that's all we know. My guess though is if KD stays Westbrook stays, but like you said maybe KD doesn't want to play with Westbrook.

What we know for sure is that Westbrook is only signed through this season. It's also reasonable to forecast that the Warriors wouldn't be able to bring in KD during the next offseason. The time was now for KD to make this tough choice.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brace for a lockout next offseason. I believe the owners will attempt to take steps to prevent this from happening in the future, perhaps even to break up the Warriors.

NBA has always been good at spinning the narratives of lockouts as they are the good guys and the players are greedy and at fault. Whether true or not, they win that in most cases and it helps in the negotiations.

However, this is the bed they made when they locked out the league of KG's contract. Max contracts caused it and now they bristle at what they have done. I don't see how they can spin the narrative this time when they are the cause.

Also the lockout is bad for them as they no longer have Billy Hunter to abuse, if the NBA opts out they are going to regret it I think

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA has always been good at spinning the narratives of lockouts as they are the good guys and the players are greedy and at fault. Whether true or not, they win that in most cases and it helps in the negotiations.

However, this is the bed they made when they locked out the league of KG's contract. Max contracts caused it and now they bristle at what they have done. I don't see how they can spin the narrative this time when they are the cause.

Also the lockout is bad for them as they no longer have Billy Hunter to abuse, if the NBA opts out they are going to regret it I think

Because most fans are stupid.

Half of the ones included in that think a lockout and a strike are the same thing.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If the owners lock out the players, the players will for sure get a higher percentage of money. They agreed to go down from 57% to 51% the last time around.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The NBA did this to themselves with the huge jump in cap.

They made a take it or leave it offer to distribute these gains over multiple years. The players said no. They didn't even bother to try anything else.

The NBA and silver, did this to themselves.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the owners lock out the players, the players will for sure get a higher percentage of money. They agreed to go down from 57% to 51% the last time around.

The NBA crushed it last time, the future concessions the player made to get that 6% was very bad. NBA players gave up so much for the immediate small victory. I would guess in the next lockout the percentage stays the same, but the players take back some of those concessions.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NBA crushed it last time, the future concessions the player made to get that 6% was very bad. NBA players gave up so much for the immediate small victory. I would guess in the next lockout the percentage stays the same, but the players take back some of those concessions.

Who do you think has more to lose by opting out of the CBA? I think the owners do, but Silver is making it sound like the owners want changes now.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who do you think has more to lose by opting out of the CBA? I think the owners do, but Silver is making it sound like the owners want changes now.

the players do. Everytime.

Because they're not wealthy without the sport.

It's why most of them cave and are just overall terribly run (specifically the NFL and NBA unions).

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's why most of them cave and are just overall terribly run (specifically the NFL and NBA unions).

Good point, but I think that the owners got a really good deal the last time. I would expect the players to make some gains back in the next CBA, especially with how profits have exploded.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Players have more to lose, but a lockout here would put them on better footing then they have had for negotiations in a long time

To me the biggest thing the players have going for them is Hunter is no longer at the table. If the owners lock out and the players finally spin the right message the owners could be in for a big loss.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“I’ve read several stories suggesting that that’s something that the league wants, this notion of two super teams, that it’s a huge television attraction,” Silver said. “I don’t think it’s good for the league, just to be really clear.

“There’s no question, when you aggregate a group of great players, they have a better chance of winning than many other teams. On the other hand, there are lots of things that have to happen. We’ll see what happens in Golden State. You had a great, great chemistry among a group of players and you’re adding another superstar to the mix, so it’ll be interesting to see what happens. But just to be absolutely clear, I do not think that's ideal from a league standpoint.”

Source: KD to Warriors bad for NBA? Adam Silver chimes in

Silver is the man!!!

While I'm able to respect KD's decision (for handling it much better than LeBron did his), I'm still not happy about it...

The NBA is a much better league with Adam.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Silver is the man!!!

While I'm able to respect KD's decision (for handling it much better than LeBron did his), I'm still not happy about it...

The NBA is a much better league with Adam.

It's not good for the league when the commish makes idiotic statements like this.

This would be a gross overreaction to one huge cap jump year. An unprecedented one at that.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not good for the league when the commish makes idiotic statements like this.

This would be a gross overreaction to one huge cap jump year. An unprecedented one at that.

How is it idiotic? Is the man in charge not supposed to react and/or take action after the results of the unprecedented spike in cap?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it idiotic? Is the man in charge not supposed to react and/or take action after the results of the unprecedented spike in cap?

He should've done something ahead of time. Not make one take it or leave it offer and then complain about what happens afterward.

Everything that had to go right for this to happen....it's almost impossible to believe that you'll see this happen again.