• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AD chasing Emmitt

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My hatred of the Cowboys has nothing to do with me ranking Emmitt Smith, outside of Cowboys fans you will find almost noone who ranks Enmitt top 5. Reason being, he's top top 5, I understand your defending him, I do the same thing with AD.

Well Nas I disagree with your top 5 and thats fine we agree dis-agree. as far as AD goes I truly believe he'll be top 5 if not number one. Peterson can be the greatest. With him being a high Charterer guy and a fellow Texan I hope it is him.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C'mon PDay, give Detroit a break. Emmitt has always been about Emmitt. Just ask anyone from his home town of Pensacola, FL or about his parents that run his big $$ memorabilia road show. He was a great player, but let's be real for a second. If you had one running back, one running back for one game...who do you want in your backfield? Emmitt? Please. He is waaaaaaay down that list.

It's not like Emmitt was the only great professional athlete from his small home town of Pensacola either...Derek Brooks, Bubba Watson, Boo Weekley, Roy Jones Jr, Don Sutton, Jay Bell, Reggie Evans...and Trent Richardson to name a few. Emmitt has always been about Emmit, and that's just a fact about #22.

That is your opinion. I won't confuse pride with greed as you assume here.
you sure aren't mr football with that opinion, BUT you do have your stick with you talking so assuredly on a cowboy fan chat board. Jump in with the Detroit fruit cake....matters to me....it's what you do here and kinda expected

snookdad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nos I will agree with you on this if you took a poll excluding Cowboys fans I think the overwhelming majority would vote that Smith is not number one. Probably 80-20%. I also believe if you ask those same people where does he rank I honestly believe 85-90% would include him in the top 5 RB.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also believe if you ask those same people where does he rank I honestly believe 85-90% would include him in the top 5 RB.

Another one we have to agree to disagree on. I live in Texas, nearly every friend I have is a Cowboys fan, my wife and her entire family are Cowboys fans, almost none of my friends consider Emmitt top 5. They understand he was nothing special aside from his toughness and he played with arguably the greatest offensive line of all time. Easy to pile up the yardage when the line gives you a hole seven feet wide to run through... I do respect your opinion though... i'll be at the Cowboys - Vikes game in November wearing my AD jersey! Hope I don't get my ass beat when the Vikes crush the Boys... LOL

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 alltime I still believe is Jim Brown. 104 yards/game, 5.2 yards/carry, lead the league 8 of 9 seasons in rushing yardage, etcetera, etcetera. The players during his era may not have been as big and fast as they are today but he himself was no muscular behemoth. Besides it's all relative and the likes of Deacon Jones, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis (not small guys even by today's standards) etc..., all wanted to rip his head off. The game was ruthless in his time.

But, the Barry - Emmitt banter is always a blast. :suds:

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1 alltime I still believe is Jim Brown. 104 yards/game, 5.2 yards/carry, lead the league 8 of 9 seasons in rushing yardage, etcetera, etcetera. The players during his era may not have been as big and fast as they are today but he himself was no muscular behemoth. Besides it's all relative and the likes of Deacon Jones, Sam Huff, Ray Nitschke, Dick Butkis (not small guys even by today's standards) etc..., all wanted to rip his head off. The game was ruthless in his time.

But, the Barry - Emmitt banter is always a blast. :suds:

Has to be a blast for Lions fans. That's the only time they can compare anything to do with their history to the Cowboys without getting laughed out of the room

MI Nightmare

Slow Roller
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,317.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has to be a blast for Lions fans. That's the only time they can compare anything to do with their history to the Cowboys without getting laughed out of the room

Right. I was noticing Calvin Johnson is moving up those WR lists rather quickly. About 3 seasons before he passes Irvin on the yardage chart? Good chance of Megatron passing Michael's TDs this season?

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. I was noticing Calvin Johnson is moving up those WR lists rather quickly. About 3 seasons before he passes Irvin on the yardage chart? Good chance of Megatron passing Michael's TDs this season?
CJ is definitely a stud.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Johnson is a beast. Reggie Bush gives them a different dimension. Stafford can sling it. Solid D Line. Last place squad. Somethings always missing with that bunch.

negativeCreep

Odd Man Out
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another one we have to agree to disagree on. I live in Texas, nearly every friend I have is a Cowboys fan, my wife and her entire family are Cowboys fans, almost none of my friends consider Emmitt top 5. They understand he was nothing special aside from his toughness and he played with arguably the greatest offensive line of all time. Easy to pile up the yardage when the line gives you a hole seven feet wide to run through... I do respect your opinion though... i'll be at the Cowboys - Vikes game in November wearing my AD jersey! Hope I don't get my ass beat when the Vikes crush the Boys... LOL

Yea the all time leading rusher in NFL history = nothing special.
In all my years.. just wow. Ya know, I get that he may not be your favorite and maybe not the best of all time or even in your top five but "nothing special aside from toughness" blah blah blah... You have been downgraded to troll status imo. That's just hate, nothing more/less.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And that has equaled how much playoff success?

:laugh3:

es4m11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Commenting on this topic got me interested in watching some Barry Sanders film. I watched a good bit of it yesterday just to refresh my memory. Man, Barry was great! Incredibly humble as well. I find it a little ridiculous people hate on the guy for walking away from the game. He gave his alll on the field through 10 years of stellar production while missing very little time. The Lions were not committed to winning so he decided to call it quits. He could of hung around for selfish reasons and got the record -- and if he wanted to, probably could of put it out of reach of Emmitt. His prime lasted his entire career, and he showed no signs of slowing down when he left. I don't know of any other player who can say that after playing for 10 years.

After watching the video, I can't help but feel that all this talk of Barry not ever being in the game in short yardage situations is a little overstated. No, he didn't get the carries that Emmitt did in those situations but he was not inept either. Also, some in this thread have tried to make the argument that Barry was a selfish free lancer who was afraid of contact. I don't see a whole lot of that in the tape. I see Sanders facing a lot of pressure in the backfield often forcing him to improvise. I don't see him shy away from contact when it was necessary. Very few players have broken as many tackles and, I would bet the house no one has more yards after first contact. Barry didn't have a lead blocker either. We all know about the MOOOOOOSSSSEEEEE!!!

One other thing that stood out in all that old film was how often Barry's contemporaries called him the best. It was universal from the players to the announcers. In one of the games I watched from the 1995 season, Pat Summerall and Madden were commenting and Summerall brought up how Emmitt was complaining in season how everyone was paying attention to Barry and not Emmitt. Madden and Summerall went on to talk about how Barry was the best in the game and how all the players in the game agreed. This was a recurring theme in the game commentary from game to game and year to year.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In all my years.. just wow. Ya know, I get that he may not be your favorite and maybe not the best of all time or even in your top five but "nothing special aside from toughness" blah blah blah... You have been downgraded to troll status imo. That's just hate, nothing more/less.

Could not agree more.

shock value opinions stated for attention
over and over
pure football clueless statements slamming a great football player in his own right and on that's teams fan page.

Not even top 5? Please sit down clown

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching the video, I can't help but feel that all this talk of Barry not ever being in the game in short yardage situations is a little overstated. No, he didn't get the carries that Emmitt did in those situations but he was not inept either. Also, some in this thread have tried to make the argument that Barry was a selfish free lancer who was afraid of contact. I don't see a whole lot of that in the tape. I see Sanders facing a lot of pressure in the backfield often forcing him to improvise. I don't see him shy away from contact when it was necessary. Very few players have broken as many tackles and, I would bet the house no one has more yards after first contact. Barry didn't have a lead blocker either. We all know about the MOOOOOOSSSSEEEEE!!!

Ross tried to give Barry a lead blocker. Barry couldn't run behind a full back. In fact not much is said about it now but that is why Barry retired. Detroit brought in Bobby Ross. Who has taken San Diego to the Superbowl against the 49ers.

To say Barry had no team around him is pure crap. Now you can say they had no defense and I'll agree. But when you have 2 1,000yard receivers. They had Perriman and Herman Moore. You didn't pass for yards like they did back then and not have an O-line.
Detroit poured all their money into the offense and the defense stunk.

You look at the teams going to Superbowls back then... All had offense but also ALL had defense.
San Fran, Green Bay, Cowboys, Denver. ALL top defenses

Last edited by a moderator:

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gosh, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I don't hate Emmitt, I just got to see him through the eyes of a non Cowboys fan so I understand while he was a great player he is not top five. Start a thread on the NFL board you'll find almost nobody aside from Cowboys fans consider him top five. Bash on what I said all you want it doesn't make it any less true...

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
shock value opinions stated for attention
over and over
pure football clueless statements slamming a great football player in his own right and on that's teams fan page.

Not even top 5? Please sit down clown

I agree, shock value plays a huge part in people trying to get their opinions accross, but thats not what this is, he simply isn't top five. Just because he has the most yards doesn't make him the best or even top five, again... Is Pete Rose the greatest hitter of all time? Is he in the top five hitters of all time? Top 10?

Sit down clown? Wow, that hurt...

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gosh, didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I don't hate Emmitt, I just got to see him through the eyes of a non Cowboys fan so I understand while he was a great player he is not top five. Start a thread on the NFL board you'll find almost nobody aside from Cowboys fans consider him top five. Bash on what I said all you want it doesn't make it any less true...

Think you'd be wrong. Most people have him top 5, maybe not #1, but definitely top 5.

Nosferatu

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think you'd be wrong. Most people have him top 5, maybe not #1, but definitely top 5.

Someone should start a thread then... Most people I talk to have him top 10 not top 5. But I could be wrong...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No disrespect intended... Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, Lou Gehrig, Stan Musial? None of those guys are top 3?

To me no, I look at what a player had to go through, and who he faced. Babe was a god to men, Aaron and Mays were well you know, as for Griffey Jr. if he would not have such bad luck with injuries he would be the only player in modern day history to be on top of the HR record without any PED's or illegal substances, not to mention best swing of all time.

Warpath

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Someone should start a thread then... Most people I talk to have him top 10 not top 5. But I could be wrong...

You're the one who proposed the thread to begin with, have at it.