• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Aaron Rodgers is done

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree, when u have had as much talent as Rodgers has had he should of won more then 1.
That assumes you can just march through the NFL playoffs as if they're that much better than everyone else ala the NBA. Just not the case. Look at how many years it has taken Peyton Manning to get to two rings.

whiskey

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,001.01
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Largely agree

I am not sure how anyone can watch Rodgers right now and come to the conclusion he is "done." That arm is fine, he can plant his leg when he wants to, and and he can move. He's definitely not all there accuracy wise which makes me think he's operating outside of his usual mechanics. It's true he seldom plants properly, and is even in the air often times, but truth be told he has always done that so that's only half true.

The scheme doesn't really help the players really at all. I'm honestly surprised any serious WCO could be run like the Packers run it. It's kind of akin to just running ISO basketball every drive and then blaming the point guard when it doesn't work in crunch time. It's incredibly unimaginative at every level right now. The routes don't compliment each other, they don't allow the players to compliment each other, and they definitely don't have the players to make such an offense worth their time. Jordy Nelson when he was right could maybe get away with it with Rodgers, and often they did. Randall Cobb? Naw, just stop right there. Ditto with Montgomery, Janis, other random JAGS here. Even last night Rodgers' YPA was under 6, that's usually pretty terrible.

The OL is still really good, I still don't like the interior as much as say PFF would, but overall it's still pretty solid. So that's not really the problem which should be a good sign.

The bigger problem is the talent at the skill positions is very average, and actually defecient in several spots, especially RB going forward. Not every team will be the Bears. Even if you run good route combos, the WR's just aren't that good right now. Nelson may or may not get back to full go, I don't think so, but it's a possibility down the line. Rodgers has to throw guys open, and not throw at the receivers which is quite a bit easier to do snap to snap. Not every play must be a big play to be effective.

As a result of schematic and talent defeciencies, Rodgers has had to overcompensate too much and his "typical" mechanics are out of whack. Those off base throws are very easy to mess up and lead to a lot of bad outcomes if the QB is even a little off; there's a reason 9/10 times an off base throw is criticized. The bad news is that isn't an easy fix and I'm going to bet that's going to continue the rest of the season. The good news is I think the problem is fixable, it just means installing a new offense and playcaller, which means firing Mike McCarthy. May need a different voice to come after him.

+1 This post sums it all up perfectly.

The Packers haven't updated their playbook ..... well.......in forever. McCarthy operates on the premise that he's an offensive guru, and that Rodgers will bail him out of bad situations. The problem is that the defenses in the NFL have seen what McCarthy is running with Rodgers for almost 10 years now. There's no wrinkles. There's no surprises. When they had prime Craig Jammings and prime Jordy Nelson, that was ok! They had the ability to get open, make guys miss, whatever, and that was fine. It didn't matter if you knew the play, you had top echelon receivers with a top-tier QB rifling the ball at them.

Randall Cobb is a good receiver. Don't get me wrong. I like Cobb for what he is, but he is not a guy you design your offense around. He's not a playmaker. He's not a Julio Jones or a Randy Moss......or even a Jordy Nelson. Cobb can get you 7 catches for a hundo..... but he's not "The Man". Neither is Davonte Adams. Or Ty Montgomery. These guys are ok, but not great. Not even close. This receiving corps is .....pretty blah. Adams is probably the only guy who has the physicality to create space, but his route running is terrible, and he has shit hands. He COULD be good. COULD be a better receiver, but he has to put the work in.

McCarthy needs to put something new in this playbook, and Thompson has to understand that they don't have playmakers right now. Eddie Lacy is a tank. A RB who runs ..... what? A 12.3 forty? And James Starks is done. Sorry bruh, you're 30 and you're a running back. You're automatically done at that point.

Time for a massive overhaul on the skill position side of things......and FAST, if they want to truly be competitive in the Aaron Rodgers window. And hopefully get a new coach in here who will shake up the playbook, and not be so conservative.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That assumes you can just march through the NFL playoffs as if they're that much better than everyone else ala the NBA. Just not the case. Look at how many years it has taken Peyton Manning to get to two rings.
Very true but Manning never really had the D to win it all. Once he got D with Denver he won. Packers has had some good Defensive teams but had major Talent on offense through out his career. I agree its not like the NBA but he should of at least made more then 1 super bowl. He has only 1 NFC championship.

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rodgers is still better than most QB's, but he's off. It's not just him, but it's not all on Wr's, Rb's, and McCarthy either

PnkPanther

Hoopla Cash
$ 253.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rely on JSComments twitter feed for my feedback, according to that, he's done and the Hundley era should start...and it's all Olivia's fault

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all mental with Rodgers. He's been hit so many times (injured and his line was pretty atrocious last year or the year before I think?), I think he's starting to get a little gunshy.

Case in point:
2016-10-18-21_25_25-1.gif

I haven't seen a throw like that from Rodgers forever, but he completely throws off his back foot and doesn't step into the pass even with no pressure which leads me to believe he's worried about getting hit.

I also think McCarthy is FAR overstayed his welcome. Packers offense may be one of the more predictable in the league at the moment.

Threw off his back foot, basically falling backwards... He was getting slightly pressured but yeah that's not a throw he should have made.

Last night he was better

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very true but Manning never really had the D to win it all. Once he got D with Denver he won. Packers has had some good Defensive teams but had major Talent on offense through out his career. I agree its not like the NBA but he should of at least made more then 1 super bowl. He has only 1 NFC championship.

Dude, really? Denver won with Manning at QB DESPITE Manning, not because of him. He was AWFUL at QB that last year. Worst in the league awful.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest issue I have with the Packer's O is it seems like they're not really running an O. They appear to try and rely on some of the gimmicks that have come up that they had taken advantage of. Things like free plays from jumping off side, catching the D with 12 men on the field, scramble plays with 2nd reaction and other opportunities that present themselves from time to time.

What I would really like to see them go back to is play "on time". Drop back 3, 5 or 7 steps and make the play based on the D they see. Play action where the pass comes out on time, and for heaven's sake, running plays that actually take advantage of the D instead of constantly running into the teeth of it. It drives me nuts to watch their run game as it seems the imagination ends at chalk board...it appears they want the run game to fail so they can throw the ball constantly and fall back on "we tried but it wasn't working". Of course it wasn't working when you run the same horse crap that has proven to fail.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, really? Denver won with Manning at QB DESPITE Manning, not because of him. He was AWFUL at QB that last year. Worst in the league awful.
I agree, Im saying they won with the D.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's fine... Which years?

Was his 5 TD's the issue in his first post-season in 2009? Or his defense that gave up 45 points a SB defense?

post season they played the giants his offensive line was just destroyed by the giants, he had an ok game (running and throwing), but giants put up 27 2nd half points too.

4th post-season again, D gives up 45 points again.

5th post-season he brings them back to tie the game twice, and both times the D surrenders the lead on the ensuing drive.

6th post-season ties it up with a last minute drive vs. the Seahawks defense, and doesn't see the ball in OT

7th post-season he ties it up with a last second play and doesn't see the ball in OT.

Yeah he isn't perfect in the post-season. His QB rating is behind Starr, Warner and Brees there for QB's with over 200 attempts. Much higher than Peyton or Brady or Eli. He's made some mistakes, but he's been great there.

If we are going to say Manning never had the D...

Rodgers teams playoff D allowed 25.7 points per game
Mannings teams playoff D allowed 21.4 points per game.

Rodgers teams playoff D allowed 35 points per game in his playoff losses.
Mannings teams playoff D allowed 28 points per game in his playoff losses.

I don't see many games he should have won that he didn't in the playoffs. Maybe the Seattle one a couple years ago where you can say him not playing at his level was why they didn't go further, but that defense makes a LOT of great QB's look really bad.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all mental with Rodgers. He's been hit so many times (injured and his line was pretty atrocious last year or the year before I think?), I think he's starting to get a little gunshy.

Case in point:
2016-10-18-21_25_25-1.gif

I haven't seen a throw like that from Rodgers forever, but he completely throws off his back foot and doesn't step into the pass even with no pressure which leads me to believe he's worried about getting hit.

I also think McCarthy is FAR overstayed his welcome. Packers offense may be one of the more predictable in the league at the moment.

Good post right here. When a QB reaches a point of hearing steps every single play the first thing we see go is the footwork which then means the accuracy is erratic at best. Rodgers has never had the best mechanics in the NFL as he throws from many different arm angles and has this jump throw that he likes to do quite often supposedly because he thinks it helps to not have a planted foot when he is getting hit. If I were Rodgers I would spend this entire next off season just working on getting his mechanics back. Sometimes the best thing a player can do is just get back to basics and develop that consistent work from snap to throw.

As far as this season goes if I were the Packers I would work on designing some quick plays at the beginning of the game. Help get Rodgers in a rhythm and take some of the pressure off the OL to have to keep holding up. Just like we see with this play you have highlighted it just looks like they tell everybody just run to the end zone and then Rodgers go and make a play. Too many of these deep route concepts that have lead to Rodgers taking a beating. Get him in a rhythm while you wear out the defense a bit and then take some shots down the field.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post right here. When a QB reaches a point of hearing steps every single play the first thing we see go is the footwork which then means the accuracy is erratic at best. Rodgers has never had the best mechanics in the NFL as he throws from many different arm angles and has this jump throw that he likes to do quite often supposedly because he thinks it helps to not have a planted foot when he is getting hit. If I were Rodgers I would spend this entire next off season just working on getting his mechanics back. Sometimes the best thing a player can do is just get back to basics and develop that consistent work from snap to throw.

As far as this season goes if I were the Packers I would work on designing some quick plays at the beginning of the game. Help get Rodgers in a rhythm and take some of the pressure off the OL to have to keep holding up. Just like we see with this play you have highlighted it just looks like they tell everybody just run to the end zone and then Rodgers go and make a play. Too many of these deep route concepts that have lead to Rodgers taking a beating. Get him in a rhythm while you wear out the defense a bit and then take some shots down the field.

This is right on. I seen an article where Rodgers was describing this last season. He said he practices unorthodox situations to make it more difficult on himself (back foot, different throwing angles, etc.) In perfecting his bad mechanics it appears he's lost accuracy on really basic throws or at least being consistent in making those throws. The one real bad pass last night was when he threw off his back foot and was to impatient.