• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A Swing and a Miss...Again!

Caynine29

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got duped into trading up for an average QB in a QB weak draft. Fact of the matter is, we could have been exactly where we are right now (Keenum starting and Mannion at #2) without having given up the draft picks that we did. If the plan was to sit him for a year (which it wasn't) then we could have drafted Prescott, or Lynch or any number of other "project" QBs at #15 and been in the same boat.

I don't think it's right to label Goff a "bust" just yet... but the deal we made to draft him sure was.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We got duped into trading up for an average QB in a QB weak draft. Fact of the matter is, we could have been exactly where we are right now (Keenum starting and Mannion at #2) without having given up the draft picks that we did. If the plan was to sit him for a year (which it wasn't) then we could have drafted Prescott, or Lynch or any number of other "project" QBs at #15 and been in the same boat.

I don't think it's right to label Goff a "bust" just yet... but the deal we made to draft him sure was.

Exactly!! imagine the 2 starters that would be on the team most likely if we had those 2 second rd picks. not to mention next year. :L

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Without a LT, #1 WR or TE....I dont think he'd gain a ton actually playing a lot unless you thought the Rams were a QB away from contenting. I think its more accurate to say that the Rams are a pass offense away from contending.

Goff is 21. If he sits a year then he sits a year. Dak Prescott is 23. He should look better.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone would argue that we made a good deal to get Goff. But anyone trying to label him a bust or mediocre at this juncture is just a reactionary fool. (I'm looking at the new Rams beat writer on ESPN)

Rambunctious

9er hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because whether or not a QB starts right away is how you judge who is/isn't a bust
Good point 88...I agree he is not a bust at all but it is concerning that with all we gave up to get him he was not able to top Mannion or Keenum :noidea:

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wentz shouldn't be starting. But he's tough enough and quick enough and maybe even smart enough to figure it out on the fly. Will Philly win games? As much as they would with Chase Daniel + they get some picks back AND move Bradford's contract. Sound familiar?

Josh Doctson is #1 WR material and was the pick. Then you add a legit threat on the outside for your GAME MANAGER QB that has an all pro RB and a pretty good defense.

:L

This QB class is so weak.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goff is 21. If he sits a year then he sits a year. Dak Prescott is 23. He should look better.

Jameis and Mariota were 21 last year as rookies too and they were never the #3 QB.

RamsFan88

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,416.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jameis and Mariota were 21 last year as rookies too and they were never the #3 QB.

They also don't have a shitty OC and QB coach...not to mention Fisher running the circus.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sticking to my guns and think we see Goff starting for the Rams by mid season and no sooner than Week 5.

I've been saying this since we drafted him. This latest news only confirms my opinion.

And for those of you who are Sean backers, why wouldn't Sean beat out Jared at this point in his NFL career. :noidea:

If he couldn't then that is a greater indictment on Sean than Jared.

J-Rod

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't panic just yet. I was hoping for him to start but it is what it is. I want to see how the offensive line and receiving core looks out there before Goff even takes the field. What makes this looks bad is the fact that he's the 3rd string. Like really? You're saying our number one overall pick is only better than the punter at QB right now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't win em all. They hit home runs with Gurley and Donald. Goff is obviously disappointing at this stage but not yet a bust. The Rams tried really hard to get Mariota and the Titans wouldn't let him go. The Rams strategy with Goff is fairly unique. Usually the idea is to have a new coaching staff, and spend your draft picks on oline, wr and te. As far as I can tell Goff was drafted by Kroenke and Wentz fits Sneads profile more.

SJ76

Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They also don't have a shitty OC and QB coach...not to mention Fisher running the circus.

This ain't pee wee league. He shouldn't need a shit load of coaching. If he was that good, he'd be at least giving Keenum a run for his money.

Not to mention I've never even heard of Tampa's coach and Mike Mularkey is a journeyman coach in the NFL.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't win em all. They hit home runs with Gurley and Donald. Goff is obviously disappointing at this stage but not yet a bust. The Rams tried really hard to get Mariota and the Titans wouldn't let him go. The Rams strategy with Goff is fairly unique. Usually the idea is to have a new coaching staff, and spend your draft picks on oline, wr and te. As far as I can tell Goff was drafted by Kroenke and Wentz fits Sneads profile more.

No way can Goff be considered a bust, but not active? I can understand the frustration.

For me it would be the trade that makes this healthy scratch look worse...I've long felt Lynch was at least equal in terms of potential and several people sort of pissed on that thought.

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've long felt Lynch was at least equal in terms of potential and several people sort of pissed on that thought.
Prior to the trade, there were many here who thought going after Lynch was our best bet. Now for some of us, it is what it is and we are living with it. Others are still stuck in their rear view mirrors and the non active status for game 1 only fuels the fire.

I'm okay with it because I think it speaks more to the state of our QB's on the Roster. Case played about as well as I've seen a QB play for the Rams in the preseason. Sean impressed as well, you can tell he has worked hard.

With those two factors, why would you want your future QB possibly thrown out there if he is not running the playbook as second nature? Just get him good and ready to be the long term Rams starter that he was traded up, and drafted to be.

The woulda, coulda, shouldas are non factors now. I'll be rooting for Lynch to do well at some point, not sure when, but my son team is the Broncos, so like rooting for Goff, it's just a matter of time.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way can Goff be considered a bust, but not active? I can understand the frustration.

For me it would be the trade that makes this healthy scratch look worse...I've long felt Lynch was at least equal in terms of potential and several people sort of pissed on that thought.
Lynch was purely projection imo. He wasn't even close to NFL ready but you take him to a team with good coaching and his upside was probably just as high or higher than everyone else.

Going into the draft, I had Goff as a Teddy Bridgewater type and Wentz as a Joe Flacco type. That looks attractive when you dont have a QB at all but its not attractive when you have to trade up and dont have many weapons. Lynch is more of a Osweiler type. He seems like a project but the Broncos seem to be one of the best run organizations in the league so they'll likely work through their QB fiasco and still win a bunch of games although his preseason reel is sack after sack after sack. That said, there is a cannon there and he is good off the bootleg early on.

Goff to me still looks better. His head isnt in the game, though. Dropping footballs, tripping over players. Thats not acceptable but at the same time you can also clean that stuff up. Goff has a great back shoulder throw and he can put touch on his passes while still having good enough arm strength to make all of the throws. His stats dont show it but he is a better Qb prospect than Bradford easily.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Prior to the trade, there were many here who thought going after Lynch was our best bet. Now for some of us, it is what it is and we are living with it. Others are still stuck in their rear view mirrors and the non active status for game 1 only fuels the fire.

I'm okay with it because I think it speaks more to the state of our QB's on the Roster. Case played about as well as I've seen a QB play for the Rams in the preseason. Sean impressed as well, you can tell he has worked hard.

With those two factors, why would you want your future QB possibly thrown out there if he is not running the playbook as second nature? Just get him good and ready to be the long term Rams starter that he was traded up, and drafted to be.

The woulda, coulda, shouldas are non factors now. I'll be rooting for Lynch to do well at some point, not sure when, but my son team is the Broncos, so like rooting for Goff, it's just a matter of time.

They say hindsight is always 20/20, but in this case it might not be because Lynch has yet to prove anything either.

My point is in our instant gratification society, I can understand the frustration making that big of a trade and the guy is not even active, much less not starting.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch was purely projection imo. He wasn't even close to NFL ready but you take him to a team with good coaching and his upside was probably just as high or higher than everyone else.

Going into the draft, I had Goff as a Teddy Bridgewater type and Wentz as a Joe Flacco type. That looks attractive when you dont have a QB at all but its not attractive when you have to trade up and dont have many weapons. Lynch is more of a Osweiler type. He seems like a project but the Broncos seem to be one of the best run organizations in the league so they'll likely work through their QB fiasco and still win a bunch of games although his preseason reel is sack after sack after sack. That said, there is a cannon there and he is good off the bootleg early on.

Goff to me still looks better. His head isnt in the game, though. Dropping footballs, tripping over players. Thats not acceptable but at the same time you can also clean that stuff up. Goff has a great back shoulder throw and he can put touch on his passes while still having good enough arm strength to make all of the throws. His stats dont show it but he is a better Qb prospect than Bradford easily.

Lynch..at the end of the day I think you're right about DEN being a good landing spot for him...we know Goff is going to get his time under center and I think it will be this season at some point unless the Rams are winning at a high clip....there will be growing pains for all 3 of them. In 2 or 3 seasons, then it might make sense to look back at it, but I never saw that much separation from the 3 QBs.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton said:
"is a better Qb prospect than Bradford easily."

Oh no you didnt!!!!!!

Vitamike

#H9Csuck!
Hoopla Cash
$ 141,051.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is in our instant gratification society, I can understand the frustration making that big of a trade and the guy is not even active, much less not starting.
Yeah, I would have never done the trade, never, but I too was never in position to make that decision. We hear the comparisons to MM, Winston and other organizations starting their young QB Week 1, but I don't think those teams, were in win now situations.

This Rams team lost games by 6 and 3 points and two more in OT last year. So if they caught a few breaks here and there in those 4 games, they could have easily gone 11-5.

Throw in a Rookie QB this year, and they take steps back. Just look at Tampa, they were fortunate to win 6 games last year. One was in OT, two more by 4, another by a TD. The same goes for Tennessee, they won 3 games last year, one was in OT, the other was by 3 and their first win came against Tampa!

No, these Rams had poor QB play for most of last year and were still a few breaks here and there from having a decent season.

When you have a Vet like Case and a backup like Sean on the team, you don't throw your Rookie QB in there to learn on the job. You give him the time he needs to be the QB you drafted and let your veteran QB wins some games early on.