• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Smack Talk 2014

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Porcello, but I think he may have a rough go pitching at Fenway (he has a career ERA of like 6.50 there). He is switching from the AL Central to the AL East and a pitcher friendly park to a not so friendly pitchers park.

I wish him nothing but the best though. He was a class act all the way for Detroit. I just wish Youkilis was still on the Sox, so Porcello should throw him to the ground again. :)

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Dombrowski shitty? I love the Cespedes trade. Porcello is a FA next year and no way we are going to give him a 100 million dollar deal. Cespedes improves one of our biggest weaknesses -- OF defense, and with the protection he will have in Detroit's lineup -- he should see a lot of good pitches to hit and have a lot of guys he can drive in.

The Alfredo Simon deal. I look at that as insurance. If they don't re-sign Scherzer (which I don't think they will) -- Simon will take Porcello's spot in the rotation. If they do re-sign Scherzer, Simon can be moved to the bullpen.

I would question the sox GM -- the Porcello trade basically becomes Jon Lester for Rick Porcello. That is what they got for him, which is nowhere near what they should get for a player like Lester.

Because, you know, Cespedes isn't a FA next year or anything. Red Sox could absolutely afford a Porcello extension. There's plenty of money coming off the books next offseason (Victorino, Napoli, possibly Ortiz (he has options), etc).

Alfredo Simon is horrible insurance. Not only did he fall off a cliff after a fluky 1st half last year, but he's 33 years old and he had never thrown more than 120 innings in a major league season prior to this year.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually like Porcello, but I think he may have a rough go pitching at Fenway (he has a career ERA of like 6.50 there). He is switching from the AL Central to the AL East and a pitcher friendly park to a not so friendly pitchers park.

I wish him nothing but the best though. He was a class act all the way for Detroit. I just wish Youkilis was still on the Sox, so Porcello should throw him to the ground again. :)

You're using a four game sample size spread over multiple seasons when he was pitching against a team he'll be pitching for? By that logic, I guess Cespedes will have trouble hitting home runs in Detroit. After all, he has 0 home runs at Comerica.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think Porcello is average at best...

But I think this is truly the Tigers final shot at winning it all(still not likely).

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wont miss...hunter swinging at the 1st pitch every AB and grounding out or into a DP and ending a inning. Hunter had to go..
true Ricky is a FA in a year. he will want and get more money than he is worth.

maybe being on the Tigers..Cepedes wil get better. We have a lot of latino players. Maybe Miggy can talk and help him. with Victor also. be a good competitive atmo going on

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Porcello and Cespedes are FA next year. Detroit isn't going to give Porcello a 100 million dollar deal, which is what some National League team is going to do. (That is just my guess -- he is better suited for the NL, IMO)

So basically it is one year of Cespedes, who they may re-sign, if it works out. Or it is one year with Porcello, who would be a FA and pretty much gone after this year.

It's not that Im sure Rick would have resigned. But we would have been compensated with a pick if he left via FAgency. Cespedes is exempt from a qualifying offer. So if and when he goes, he's gone. Nothing in return.

That's what I meant by a step back in talent over the long run.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iam more worried about LFer Martinez. is he going to have another season like he did last year???

look how being around miggy and victor helped him

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I think Porcello is average at best...

But I think this is truly the Tigers final shot at winning it all(still not likely).

He was above average last year. He's 25.

I wont miss...hunter swinging at the 1st pitch every AB

Cespedes isn't exactly the most disciplined hitter out there.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He didn't. But his rotation isn't looking very good compared to what it'd be if he hadnt made three trades involving Fister, Rick and Smyly.

Absolutely. Trades aren't won on the day they're made of course, but the Fister trade just looks plain awful. Especially considering the Tigers may have actually given up more to get Alfredo freaking Simon than they got for Fister.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was above average last year. He's 25.

Cespedes isn't exactly the most disciplined hitter out there.

that's funny..walk off the island. lol
true. hunter was a expierenced vet. it was frustrating to see him do that all year long. he was more worried about his stats ,,than the team.

dougplayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Trades aren't won on the day they're made of course, but the Fister trade just looks plain awful. Especially considering the Tigers may have actually given up more to get Alfredo freaking Simon than they got for Fister.

Fister trade looks bad even more now that DD traded away Robbie whats his name.

DD is getting a pass on that. Media hardly pushed the issue with him

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That Simon trade drives me nuts. A 33 year old that's manged to stick in a rotation for ONE season isn't someone I plan on seeing improve in the AL. Not even someone I see as an option for a full season in the rotation tbh.

Figured Suarez would get dealt, Ausmus was sick of him down the stretch. But they're depleting long term talent levels for middling current talent with all these moves. (Aside from the shitty Fister deal, which I guess was an attempt at longterm talent). Crawford might not be blue chip, but he was excellent in his first full pro season.

DD has rid himself of young arms like crazy in the last six months. The deal for Soria included.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Simon trade drives me nuts. A 33 year old that's manged to stick in a rotation for ONE season isn't someone I plan on seeing improve in the AL. Not even someone I see as an option for a full season in the rotation tbh.

Figured Suarez would get dealt, Ausmus was sick of him down the stretch. But they're depleting long term talent levels for middling current talent with all these moves. (Aside from the shitty Fister deal, which I guess was an attempt at longterm talent). Crawford might not be blue chip, but he was excellent in his first full pro season.

DD has rid himself of young arms like crazy in the last six months. The deal for Soria included.

Not to mention Simon fell off a cliff in the 2nd half in 2014.

Enjoy Cespedes though. He is a fun player to watch.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the Morales signing, while it does provide upside, there's some pretty nasty risk as well. Personally I think his projections are being sandbagged by things he has minimal control over, at best; but there's really no way for me to justify this signing to landlock the DH spot when Dyson and Peguero are currently on the same roster. Somehow, Peguero is projected to be about league average in RF.

(it would have been nice to properly utilize Dyson for once! Play him in CF vs Righties)