• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Smack Talk 2014

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No shit!?!

That dude is pure garbage! Wow, I wish Andy had came back and we'd never seen hide not hair of Carrera last year. Made me miss Quinten Berry, he was that bad. And Im pretty sure Berry had a glass eye. (Could not judge a fly ball if his life depended on it.)

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing would make me laugh more when Carerra would come in as a D replacement in center(supposedly his best asset to a team) and just completely misjudge a ball. I saw it at least 5 times last year and I didn't watch the Tigers a ton this past season lol.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because, you know, Cespedes isn't a FA next year or anything. Red Sox could absolutely afford a Porcello extension. There's plenty of money coming off the books next offseason (Victorino, Napoli, possibly Ortiz (he has options), etc).

Alfredo Simon is horrible insurance. Not only did he fall off a cliff after a fluky 1st half last year, but he's 33 years old and he had never thrown more than 120 innings in a major league season prior to this year.

Nava,

Remember -- Tiger fans have watched Porcello for many years already. You are talking about Porcello, as if, last year was the norm for him. He is a terribly frustrating pitcher. He will pitch great for a couple games -- then get bombed for a couple. He will have an outing where you think he has turned a corner -- then the next game it will look like he is pitching batting practice.

IF Porcello can command his curve ball and improve on it -- He will be a guy who will pitch 180-200 innings for you, year in and year out. If you are expecting him to be your #1 or #2 pitcher -- i don't see it happening.

He is a contact pitcher who gives up a ton of hits. He has thrown 1073 innings and given up 1196 hits. If Boston is able to tweak a pitch here or there and he develops an out pitch -- he has the potential to be really good. Scrapping the slider and going to the curve ball helped him a lot. In the end though -- he, like Cespedes, is a rental.

As you can tell -- I was never that big of a Porcello fan as a player. As a person though -- Red Sox fans will really like him. He is very business like on the mound. He works pretty quick and keeps the fielders behind him in the game, as he induces a lot of ground balls.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfredo Simon is horrible insurance. Not only did he fall off a cliff after a fluky 1st half last year, but he's 33 years old and he had never thrown more than 120 innings in a major league season prior to this year.

He was a relief pitcher prior to last year. And Simon wasn't traded for as a long term replacement. He was traded for, as basically, a one year rental. IF they can't get anything else done for a starting pitcher -- he will be slotted in as our #5 pitcher.

As far as the one year deal and falling off a cliff. Porcello was 0-4 with a 6.20 ERA for his last 5 starts last year. I'm not saying he is terrible, but I would temper your expectations. He has potential, but he has had potential for a long time, as he has pitched in the MLB for 6 years already. Last year was, by far, his best year. If he is able to repeat that success -- I give him major props. As a contact pitcher though -- his variance will change quite a bit from year to year, depending on if the balls are finding holes or not.

mr.hockey4242

Hoopla Cash
$ 26,925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is the other starter to fill out the rotation with Simon added? Lobstein?

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Dombrowski become such a shitty GM all of a sudden?

all of a sudden? The guy got the best hitter of the last decade and arguable the top pitcher and couldn't put the pieces around those two in their primes with basically a Yankees type budget. He will need to pull a few rabbits out of the hat, THIS SEASON, to win it. Theo and Cashman have won rings with that type of budget. And that's even with Loria spoon feeding him players to help him try and win, Miggy, Infante, Sanchez....

Watch what pieces Loria puts around Jose F and Stanton with his budget, with 2 rings already, you will see who the true genius was and is in FLA. Loria looks like he is wanting to win it this year already.

I will say I like the Simon trade ONLY if he goes to the bullpen and they sign a front line SP.

Last edited by a moderator:

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How did Dombrowski become such a shitty GM all of a sudden?

? The fister trade was unreal, I dont have a problem with the most recent trades, especially if it allows the tigers to extend price.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just having a text conversation with my old man about this.

Here's where Im stuck:

Is it better to have improved corner outfield defense everyday? (Which is Absolutley whats happening)
And a lesser 3rd/4th starter?

Or a still improving 3rd/4th starter with one of the best curveballs in the game and an unknown, strike out happy Eastern League MVP rookie Rightfielder?

If they can extend Cespedes(doubtful) Id feel better. But with him being just a rental, I see this as a step back in talent in the long run. Probably in the short run. Andy Dirks was a decent leftfielder, he didn't make any difference.

I also love Ricky, so I pissed. Red Sox have got a lot better in the last 24 hours though. Sign Max or Shields and you're the best team in the AL IMO.

Rick had his best year last year. Could mean two things. Hes hitting his prime...or he had an outlier season. I think it was an outlier season. I hate seeing starting pitching go but at least the tigers got something (a great something) in return for porcello unlike the fister deal...and fister is a much better pitcher. Tiges landed a fige tool player and if porcello is still improving whats to say cespedes isnt. I believe cespedes will put up some very nice numbers next year.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Dombrowski shitty? I love the Cespedes trade. Porcello is a FA next year and no way we are going to give him a 100 million dollar deal. Cespedes improves one of our biggest weaknesses -- OF defense, and with the protection he will have in Detroit's lineup -- he should see a lot of good pitches to hit and have a lot of guys he can drive in.

The Alfredo Simon deal. I look at that as insurance. If they don't re-sign Scherzer (which I don't think they will) -- Simon will take Porcello's spot in the rotation. If they do re-sign Scherzer, Simon can be moved to the bullpen.

I would question the sox GM -- the Porcello trade basically becomes Jon Lester for Rick Porcello. That is what they got for him, which is nowhere near what they should get for a player like Lester.
Why would you put simon in pen even if they resign scherzer (which they wont). Porcello and simon had identical numbers together. He will be a great fourth or fifth starter. The sox werent resigning lester anyhow so the trade isnt that bad. They would have received only a pick.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Simon has had three good years in a row. Im not too worried about it. As a tigers fan IM well aware of what porcello brings to the table, and Ive always been a huge porcello fan and will remain one. We all know what rick porcello has to offer. Im excited about cespedes...speed, power and defense?