• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.L. Central Smack 2015

da55bums

Royals -when they do win its a WS RING.
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
oh, I agree, money does buy playoff spots.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Take a look at the world series prior to 2015... go back 10 years.. in 8 of the 10 world series.. at least 1 of the teams had a top 5 payroll..

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats the points?

Det is a larger market by having higher attendance and spends more than KC? Everyone knows that. You sound like Yankees fans of the late 70's and 80's talking about any team in the majors, lol

Yes there will always be teams in the top 5-10 in payroll and attendance, always has been, always will be.

I have no idea how Det being a major market sucked for 20 years, that's actually more baffling.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
whats the points?

Det is a larger market by having higher attendance and spends more than KC? Everyone knows that. You sound like Yankees fans of the late 70's and 80's talking about any team in the majors, lol

Yes there will always be teams in the top 5-10 in payroll and attendance, always has been, always will be.

I have no idea how Det being a major market sucked for 20 years, that's actually more baffling.
I just explained it to you clown.. Ilitch put all his money into the Red Wings.. Which were the Yankees of the NHL for a long time. He was busy using his money to buy Stanley Cups...When they put the salary cap in place he took the 100 mil he had to shave off the payroll with the Red Wings and moved it to the Tigers. The NHL negotiated a salary cap in 2004... Magically in 2004.. the Tigers started to spend money... You just learned something today bumsy.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Measured by 2016 run differential and Win/Loss Expectancy, the Tigers were the worst team in the AL and one of the five worst in MLB.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no way you can argue the Tigers rotation going into 2016 isn't better than what they had in 2015 to start.. Verlander was out until June and wasn't fully healthy until July... They started off with a rotation of Price, Sanchez, Simon, Greene, and Lobstein. If you think that is better than Verlander, Zimmerman, Sanchez, Pelfrey, and Norris.. You are retarded. Yeah they lost Price... But they also lost 3 pitchers from their rotation that had ERA above 5... and replaced them with 2 pitchers with ERA in the 3's and one in the 4's... AND Sanchez was not healthy either.. and big IF... but if he is healthy you can argue that every spot in the rotation is improved over last year outside of Price.. which a healthy Verlander proved... he can be every bit as good... Look at Verlander's numbers after the All Star break compared to Price... They are very similiar.

The major change to the Tigers rotation is obviously the #1 & #2 spots - 3-5 are basically garbage and not worth talking about. Last year they got 279.1 IP @ 2.93 ERA from Price and Verlander. The question is, will Verlander and Zimmerman be able to replace that production.

I expect Zimmerman to pitch around 200 innings with a 3.70 ERA. Just by raw numbers, Verlander would then have to put up about 80 innings with an ERA around 1 to exactly match the 2015 production. Obviously, he's not going to have a 1.00 ERA, but I do think he'll pitch well more than 80 innings. Given his age and recent health/performance, I think 160 innings with a 3.25 ERA sounds reasonable.

So if you can accept my projections, the question becomes is 360 IP @ 3.50ERA an upgrade over 280 IP @ 2.93ERA? 80 more innings, with about 50 more ER allowed. Depending on a lot of variables, I could see that being argued either way. I think shoring up the bullpen will help the Tigers in this regard.

It's kind of a toss up for me. I could see a point where they improved their pitching staff, but honestly, I don't see it as a significant improvement. They had one of the five worst pitching staffs in the majors last year, so they're going to have to improve quite a bit just to get it to average, which frankly, I don't think they've done at this point.

Their offense was weird last year because as you pointed out, they were a top team measured by BA, & OBP, but their slugging wasn't spectacular and their run total was below average for the AL. They lost Cespedes, and their sluggers are also getting long in the tooth, so who knows what that might bring.

Overall, I'd say they might not finish in basement in 2016, but I certainly wouldn't bet on them competing for a playoff spot.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just explained it to you clown.. Ilitch put all his money into the Red Wings.. Which were the Yankees of the NHL for a long time. He was busy using his money to buy Stanley Cups...When they put the salary cap in place he took the 100 mil he had to shave off the payroll with the Red Wings and moved it to the Tigers. The NHL negotiated a salary cap in 2004... Magically in 2004.. the Tigers started to spend money... You just learned something today bumsy.

Thanks for the info, didn't know that the Tigers have been spending big for a decade til you just informed me.

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would listen da bums. Detriot fans will teach you much

dougplayer

D Back and ranger fans are GAF....
Hoopla Cash
$ 234.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tigers got better. And are not done yet? ......

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The major change to the Tigers rotation is obviously the #1 & #2 spots - 3-5 are basically garbage and not worth talking about. Last year they got 279.1 IP @ 2.93 ERA from Price and Verlander. The question is, will Verlander and Zimmerman be able to replace that production.

I expect Zimmerman to pitch around 200 innings with a 3.70 ERA. Just by raw numbers, Verlander would then have to put up about 80 innings with an ERA around 1 to exactly match the 2015 production. Obviously, he's not going to have a 1.00 ERA, but I do think he'll pitch well more than 80 innings. Given his age and recent health/performance, I think 160 innings with a 3.25 ERA sounds reasonable.

So if you can accept my projections, the question becomes is 360 IP @ 3.50ERA an upgrade over 280 IP @ 2.93ERA? 80 more innings, with about 50 more ER allowed. Depending on a lot of variables, I could see that being argued either way. I think shoring up the bullpen will help the Tigers in this regard.

It's kind of a toss up for me. I could see a point where they improved their pitching staff, but honestly, I don't see it as a significant improvement. They had one of the five worst pitching staffs in the majors last year, so they're going to have to improve quite a bit just to get it to average, which frankly, I don't think they've done at this point.

Their offense was weird last year because as you pointed out, they were a top team measured by BA, & OBP, but their slugging wasn't spectacular and their run total was below average for the AL. They lost Cespedes, and their sluggers are also getting long in the tooth, so who knows what that might bring.

Overall, I'd say they might not finish in basement in 2016, but I certainly wouldn't bet on them competing for a playoff spot.

First and foremost.. Verlander didn't start the season until JUNE idiot.. The rotation for the first 3 months was Price/Sanchez/Simon/Greene (Farmer after May)/Lobstein... Your entire post is retarded.... Verlander literally pitched with Price for a little more than a month last year... And was still not fully worked back from injury until July.

He just said the 3-5 are garbage and not worth talking about... Daniel Norris was the number 15 rated prospect in all of baseball last year... And the number 1 rated left handed pitching prospect... He had a 3.86 era last year.. yeah.. he is horrible.. lol... Sanchez was hurt all last year...

Honestly... You are completely ignoring the fact that 3-5 are going to actually pitch.. And the fact that Verlander was not even a part of the rotation for 3 months... Starting the season the Tigers had Lobstein in Verlanders place.. if you don't think the current 5 starters is better than Price/Sanchez/Simon/Greene/Lobstein.... Which was what Detroit had out there for the first 3 months... You are an idiot...and you are ignoring the obvious that those innings are going to be thrown by superior pitchers than last year... STOP CHERRY PICKING!!!!

Last edited:

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As the worst team in the American League, you'd sure hope they'd get better.
You can see the difference between drinking normal water and drinking Ohio when Slinkyredfoot posts... Dude is a straight up dar dar baby.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can see the difference between drinking normal water and drinking Ohio when Slinkyredfoot posts... Dude is a straight up dar dar baby.

That's pretty funny.

My take on you is you're just like DougPlayer, but afflicted with a small penis and a cocaine addiction.

da55bums

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would listen da bums. Detriot fans will teach you much

yes doug, Tigers have spent a ton of money over the years and the Royals still have 2 WS championships since the Tigers have had one, and spent a TON less. Have to ask who the smarter owners have been?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First and foremost.. Verlander didn't start the season until JUNE idiot.. The rotation for the first 3 months was Price/Sanchez/Simon/Greene (Farmer after May)/Lobstein... Your entire post is retarded.... Verlander literally pitched with Price for a little more than a month last year... And was still not fully worked back from injury until July.

He just said the 3-5 are garbage and not worth talking about... Daniel Norris was the number 15 rated prospect in all of baseball last year... And the number 1 rated left handed pitching prospect... He had a 3.86 era last year.. yeah.. he is horrible.. lol... Sanchez was hurt all last year...

Honestly... You are completely ignoring the fact that 3-5 are going to actually pitch.. And the fact that Verlander was not even a part of the rotation for 3 months... Starting the season the Tigers had Lobstein in Verlanders place.. if you don't think the current 5 starters is better than Price/Sanchez/Simon/Greene/Lobstein.... Which was what Detroit had out there for the first 3 months... You are an idiot...and you are ignoring the obvious that those innings are going to be thrown by superior pitchers than last year... STOP CHERRY PICKING!!!!

You're out of your depth.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's pretty funny.

My take on you is you're just like DougPlayer, but afflicted with a small penis and a cocaine addiction.
Your mom thinks my penis is the perfect size to pump her asshole without tearing it up to bad... And she loves to do wacks off my penis... We both are happy with it.

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're out of your depth.
LOL.. Says the guy trying to argue a Price/ Verlander vs Verlander /Zimmerman difference.. when Verlander didn't start the season until mid June and pitched a little more than 4 weeks of the season with Price... The Tigers were already well behind the Royals by the time Verlander even got off the DL clown.

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your mom thinks my penis is the perfect size to pump her asshole without tearing it up to bad... And she loves to do wacks off my penis... We both are happy with it.

That's what she tells you; she just doesn't want to hurt your feelings. She's really conscientious that way.

So, what makes you say I'm an idiot for pointing out that the Tigers were the worst team in the AL last season?

MiamiVice

Well Liked Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,705.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The REAL 1/2 last year to start the majority of games before all star break was Price/Simon... because Verlander was not there until June 10th... and Sanchez missed a good chunk too... You think Verlander/Zimmerman isn't better than Price/Simon?

SlinkyRedfoot

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL.. Says the guy trying to argue a Price/ Verlander vs Verlander /Zimmerman difference.. when Verlander didn't start the season until mid June and pitched a little more than 4 weeks of the season with Price... The Tigers were already well behind the Royals by the time Verlander even got off the DL clown.

I talked about the innings, fruitcake. They need to replace the production. When it happened does not matter.

I realize you don't get that, but I'm not going to spend too much time trying to explain it.