• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't use the bust word until the guy is off the team for non-performance. I figure if he's that bad, he'll leave either to another team with no compensation to us or out of the league. If not, I'll wait and reserve judgment until then. I can't defend him like I defended Alex because he's not on the field, but I can wait to render judgment on him until he does get significant play or is off the team. If he does well elsewhere, than it was either his maturity, our system, or our evaluation and usage of him.

The QB has many more responsibilities than a fourth string WR in his rookie year, so I would cut a QB more slack - that benefit of the doubt would have gone to Kaep if he had struggled. You didn't see me judge him on preseason. Obviously, the slack need not be 8 years, it's just that saying 8 years is absent context, because people did blast Smith well early of that. 1 season is too early, obviously, too. Just because some defended Smith in some ways does not mean that all defended him or some defended in all ways. Just like some are defending Jenkins.

I agree though, judging Jenkins know is too early and 8 years is too late. But if Jenkins isn't good enough to start but not bad enough to cut, we'll keep him and I'll be optimistic like I was with Smith. In other words, I might be biasedly loyal, but it's consistent with everybody who gives it all their effort. Jacobs, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What kind of numbers would he have to put up to justify being a 1st round pick?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

How 'bout 1 catch? Is that asking too much? How 'bout at least be on the active roster for more than a couple of games? How 'bout being able to beat out scrubs like Chad Hall or Ted Ginn?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
How 'bout 1 catch? Is that asking too much? How 'bout at least be on the active roster for more than a couple of games? How 'bout being able to beat out scrubs like Chad Hall or Ted Ginn?

It's good to have you here on the board, just about everything negative you say comes out to be wrong. I expect the same thing to be true about AJ Jenkins. There are politics in football and you cannot judge everything you perceive by talent and skill level.

This week we'll see a point of that when Bernard Pierce sits behind Ray Rice despite being the better RB :cloud9:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Hey now, leave Ginn out of this... Ginn's run blocking in these playoffs are going under the radar... He's been on point in staying on his man and being physical... :10:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also its not like he has Mario and KW as excuses anymore... injuries happened and its time for the rook to step up.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Ginn had 2 passes thrown to him this year... that should make it pretty obvious that he was active for KR/PR duties and not as a receiving threat.

Is everyone forgetting that Harbaugh's offense likes to use TEs as WRs and runs a fair amount of 2 TE sets? Flashing 2 TE for runs and then passing out of the 2 TE a lot to keep defenses guessing. Essentially the 49ers had Crabtree, Mario, VD, and Walker as the top 4 WRs with Moss as the 5th guy, and Kyle Williams as the 6th and Ginn as the 7th.

So when Mario and Kyle went down it just shifted to Crabtree, Moss, VD, Walker, Ginn, Jenkins. Randy Moss was "the next man up", not Jenkins. How many offenses do you know where the 5th and 6th receiver gets a ton of looks?

It is also a possibility that when Mario and Kyle went down the coaching staff decided to lean more on Crabtree, VD, and Walker ... especially Crabtree whose 127 targets double the next closest guy in VD at 61.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teddy Ginn had 2 passes thrown to him this year... that should make it pretty obvious that he was active for KR/PR duties and not as a receiving threat.

Is everyone forgetting that Harbaugh's offense likes to use TEs as WRs and runs a fair amount of 2 TE sets? Flashing 2 TE for runs and then passing out of the 2 TE a lot to keep defenses guessing. Essentially the 49ers had Crabtree, Mario, VD, and Walker as the top 4 WRs with Moss as the 5th guy, and Kyle Williams as the 6th and Ginn as the 7th.

So when Mario and Kyle went down it just shifted to Crabtree, Moss, VD, Walker, Ginn, Jenkins. Randy Moss was "the next man up", not Jenkins. How many offenses do you know where the 5th and 6th receiver gets a ton of looks?

It is also a possibility that when Mario and Kyle went down the coaching staff decided to lean more on Crabtree, VD, and Walker ... especially Crabtree whose 127 targets double the next closest guy in VD at 61.

This. Plus, when you pick at the end of the first, you're usually building depth (in this case, it was that and keeping Jenkins from the Rams). I was in the "draft Stephen Hill camp," but even I will give the kid two more seasons, and believe he has a good shot at making me eat my words. Don't mind NolanNonsense (or whatever he wants to call himself). He enjoys baseless claims, half-baked predictions and understanding very little about sports.

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
750 Receiving yards as the #2 WR. Minimum.

It's good to have you here on the board, just about everything negative you say comes out to be wrong. I expect the same thing to be true about AJ Jenkins. There are politics in football and you cannot judge everything you perceive by talent and skill level.

This week we'll see a point of that when Bernard Pierce sits behind Ray Rice despite being the better RB :cloud9:

This.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it safe to say that AJ Jenkins is a bust yet?

...Clyde?

Whoa, whoa, whoa there. It's a bit early to throw out four letter words. I think it's reasonable to be concerned but let's not go all BSPN on the guy.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Whoa, whoa, whoa there. It's a bit early to throw out four letter words. I think it's reasonable to be concerned but let's not go all BSPN on the guy.

I agree it's a bit too early for that, but I'm ALMOST ready to call it. I'm giving him about 4 more games to change my mind. If it's not changed by then, I'm chaking him up there with Rashaun Woods.

And for the record, I thought it was a bad pick from day 1 & wanted either Glenn, Janoris or Hill. Probably Glenn (but that was before Boone showed he ca play RG).

RedneckNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say I wasn't willing to give him a season merely stated what I had read that he had trouble running routes, and had difficulty with catching. Jerry Rice had difficulty his rookie season with catching if any of yall are old enough to remember. What is telling that even with the Injuries to kyle William and Manningham... AJ Jenkins is still not deemed by the coaching staff to be dependable enough to be on the field for meaningful playing time. Maybe with another offseason he will hopefully develop.

jayviabay

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, he would have to beat out manningham/moss(if they are still on the team) in training camp, demand by his play more looks than VD, in a run oriented offense? you dont think thats asking a little too much?

I do think in his second season, he should have to be considered a threat on the outside and avg. more than 10 yards per catch when given the opportunity.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So, he would have to beat out manningham/moss(if they are still on the team) in training camp, demand by his play more looks than VD, in a run oriented offense? you dont think thats asking a little too much?

I do think in his second season, he should have to be considered a threat on the outside and avg. more than 10 yards per catch when given the opportunity.

Do you mean in season 1 or ever? Big difference for the answer. If season 1, Sick is too hopeful. If ever, I think that's reasonable. But shit...I would feel better with 3 catches and 35yds in the SB since that's the only game left.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Exactly Mem. If he becomes a #2 WR who can AVERAGE about 750 yards a season or more, I think it would justify the 30th pick of the draft. I wouldn't expect that as a rookie.

I was hoping for more than zero catches and a ball bouncing off his hands in the playoffs.