• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Like Ease said we don't drum to the same beat as other teams when it comes to draft picks it seems.

It's like this whole draft was intended to be red shirted and developed rather then make contributions this year and I think that will be the case with the next draft class as well.

I still believe what Harbaugh and Baalke envisioned was Alex Smith would be the starter for this season but CK would take over the job next season and would grow with Jenkins and LMJ who would be ready to contribute after getting a year under their belt.

But Smith getting hurt enabled CK to get in there and take the job and Hunter getting hurt allowed LMJ to get some action.

Jtymer49er

Jtymer49er
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins was a big time playmaker at Illinois. Im a Michigan fan and I watch a lot of Big 10 games. He had no QB and no other good receivers on the team and he seemed unstoppable. I couldn't believe how often he got open and he caught everything. It may be taking him a while to grasp the offense, we run a lot of different stuff. He may need time to get ready for the bright lights. But I believe when he gets it he will be a great weapon for us. I think he has Mike Wallace potential. We did overdraft him a bit but he would not have been there with our second round pick. With our coaching and his ability I'll bet he does not turn out to be a bust.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im willing to give him a pass for this year. But next year he better bring it!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have zero hope for him after he couldnt even catch a pass after the injuries we had at the receiver position. The 9ers going with Chad Hall this last Sunday should make it pretty much obvious to everyone, he stinks and he wont be with the team much longer.

I would amend that to "... if he doesn't show he gets it this offseason." And this includes run blocking and reporting in shape.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Ease said we don't drum to the same beat as other teams when it comes to draft picks it seems.

It's like this whole draft was intended to be red shirted and developed rather then make contributions this year and I think that will be the case with the next draft class as well.

I still believe what Harbaugh and Baalke envisioned was Alex Smith would be the starter for this season but CK would take over the job next season and would grow with Jenkins and LMJ who would be ready to contribute after getting a year under their belt.

But Smith getting hurt enabled CK to get in there and take the job and Hunter getting hurt allowed LMJ to get some action.

Manningham getting injured should have enabled Jenkins to come in. He came in and :thud:. Not many opportunities, but alas, didn't make the most of them like CK7 or LMJ. What do you think of LMJ's receiving this year and what it means for the future? He's 3 catches for 5 targets and 29 yards, so used sparingly, but is he being eased in or is he a different back with a less check-down QB? Someone mentioned Sproles in another thread. Will he be that versatile in the run and pass games?

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Leave A.J. alone!

LOL. Word! Even I'm not really mad at AJ for his lack of production - despite the fact the player I really wanted in which we passed up on shined bright this year as a rookie. AJ will be okay I think. That pick could have been much worse. Balmer, Woods, Rumph, come to mind as late first rounds picks that are far worse than AJ.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
aj jenkins needs to make himself useful and get the hair out of the gatorade

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about time that AJ called a certain #80 and ask if he would be willing to run the fucking hill with him....learning a few other things like work ethic and how to be a professional and take your shit seriously would be great starts.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its about time that AJ called a certain #80 and ask if he would be willing to run the fucking hill with him....learning a few other things like work ethic and how to be a professional and take your shit seriously would be great starts.

Was wondering if that would be brought up. He made a big show of it last year and then it never happened. Maybe he's waiting for this offseason but I gotta figure he could have worked it in already if he was committed.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Jenkins has worked out with Rice a few times and stayed in touch with him (at least Rice said so mid year). I have a few questions, though.

1) Why assume running The Hill (or any hill) is going to do anything? I guess maybe it's just cool to use because it has a name/story.

2) Why assume Jenkins has poor work ethic? By every account I've ever read, he has shown a desire to work on things. There have been accounts of him staying after practice and putting in extra time with the assistants.

3) Why assume he's not taking this seriously? Is it because that's the easy thing to assume whenever a player isn't producing like one wants?

I get that alot of that was probably just typical fan emotion, but c'mon. It still sounds bad.

mem49er

KAEP
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins has worked out with Rice a few times and stayed in touch with him (at least Rice said so mid year). I have a few questions, though.

1) Why assume running The Hill (or any hill) is going to do anything? I guess maybe it's just cool to use because it has a name/story.

2) Why assume Jenkins has poor work ethic? By every account I've ever read, he has shown a desire to work on things. There have been accounts of him staying after practice and putting in extra time with the assistants.

3) Why assume he's not taking this seriously? Is it because that's the easy thing to assume whenever a player isn't producing like one wants?

I get that alot of that was probably just typical fan emotion, but c'mon. It still sounds bad.

Obviously, no fan knows the real situation and we all (true fans) want him to succeed. When you look at the situation and wonder why he's not starting, especially with the injuries, it boils down to

1) A talent issue

or

2) Work ethic.

His college performance points to some talent and Baalke has not had huge misses so people start wondering about work ethic.

There's the third possibility that maybe Harbaugh prefers to not use rookies unless he HAS to, but it would seem with injuries to MM and KW that that situation is now.

In the end, like I said, only the team really knows but we all wonder....

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL. Word! Even I'm not really mad at AJ for his lack of production - despite the fact the player I really wanted in which we passed up on shined bright this year as a rookie. AJ will be okay I think. That pick could have been much worse. Balmer, Woods, Rumph, come to mind as late first rounds picks that are far worse than AJ.

That pick wasn't JUST bad because he was off the team in 2 years and out of the league in 3. That pick was bad because we could have drafted Vince Wilfork. Instead, we traded down and picked up a bunch of picks that busted.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That pick wasn't JUST bad because he was off the team in 2 years and out of the league in 3. That pick was bad because we could have drafted Vince Wilfork. Instead, we traded down and picked up a bunch of picks that busted.

Yup! I remember fans were crying when we noticed that we weren't picking at pick # 21, and instead decided to drop back further. :gaah: It was a miracle to some extent that Wilfork lasted that long to begin with.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

we all speak as fans pertaining to this(unless one of us is a 49ers member in disguise)

1) no idea

2) Weren't there strong mix reviews/reportings of Jenkins during OTAs and preseason n such? to a point Harbs had to come in or was asked, and state that AJ is doing good?

3) We don't know if he's not taking this seriously, but confidence and trust isn't there. Both LMJ and AJ were in similar situations where they were both in the back end of good depth. Both were given rare opportunities when injuries depleted the middle guys thus elevating themselves to suit up and play.

Right now LMJ is answering the call, AJ hasn't. For him to produce, he needs to be given shots/chances, right now Harbs n Roman aren't doing that for a reason... Hall, a pickup player, had a chance in the title game. AJ couldn't get one?

It's like, what's really going on?

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yup! I remember fans were crying when we noticed that we weren't picking at pick # 21, and instead decided to drop back further. :gaah: It was a miracle to some extent that Wilfork lasted that long to begin with.

We could have had Wilfork, instead we ended up with this: Rashaun Woods (busted out of the league in three years), Justin Smiley (played for us, poorly, the Dolphins, Jags and was signed by the Raiders; at least this pick wasn't a complete failure, but it wasn't good either), Shawtae Spencer (pretty good pick for a third rounder, but never emerged as the CB we needed; was with us until this season), Derrick Hamilton (never caught a pass for us or anybody else in the NFL; total bust), Isaac Sopoaga (not the NT that Wilfork is, but that's not really a knock; decent pick this far back), Richard Seigler (did jack with us, won a SB with Pittsburgh, was investigated as a member of a prostitution ring, bounced from the league), Andy Lee (best punter in football at the moment, and our MVP during the lean years of 05-07), Keith Lewis (couldn't find anything about his stats, but he was with us from 04-08), Cody Pickett (lol), and Christian Ferrara (recorded no stats in the NFL).

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
We could have had Wilfork, instead we ended up with this: Rashaun Woods (busted out of the league in three years), Justin Smiley (played for us, poorly, the Dolphins, Jags and was signed by the Raiders; at least this pick wasn't a complete failure, but it wasn't good either), Shawtae Spencer (pretty good pick for a third rounder, but never emerged as the CB we needed; was with us until this season), Derrick Hamilton (never caught a pass for us or anybody else in the NFL; total bust), Isaac Sopoaga (not the NT that Wilfork is, but that's not really a knock; decent pick this far back), Richard Seigler (did jack with us, won a SB with Pittsburgh, was investigated as a member of a prostitution ring, bounced from the league), Andy Lee (best punter in football at the moment, and our MVP during the lean years of 05-07), Keith Lewis (couldn't find anything about his stats, but he was with us from 04-08), Cody Pickett (lol), and Christian Ferrara (recorded no stats in the NFL).

I loved that pick though when it happened. I thought he was going to be a great player in the league. I was one of many fans that got fooled by him. I also liked the Sopoaga pick.