• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Crosby on the out? this guy was a near automatic for awhile, has he been breaking down?

I would rather have Crosby over Dawson but Dawson hasn't given me enough to dislike him... thought he was good with Cleveland too...

He has missed a lot of clutch kicks over the last 2 years, and last year he kicked at 63%. For comparison, Akers kicked at 69%. And according to NFL.com he went 3 for 8 at their annual fan scrimmage game this camp.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never liked AJ Jenkins from the start, but I think if there's any way he's going to be successful in the NFL he needs to add about 10-15 pounds worth of muscle. The dude is soft. If I were coaching him, I'd be having him run end zone fades all day with my nastiest, most desperate CB trying to make the team & some practice QB so he can at least learn to fight for the ball (in between blocking drills). The "no dog in him" comment is accurate IMO, and I'm not optimistic he's going to develop that mentality. But adding some muscle would be a start IMO.

If indeed that Jenkins does develop, I think it's pretty far fetched to think he is going to do it in a 49'ers uniform...

He seems like he is the type of guy that needs to be cut, forgotten about, and then get a second chance with another team, and then suddenly make a slight impact somewhere.

From the moment he stepped onto the field with the 49'ers, there has been nothing but disappointment with him... this seemed to come from DAY 1.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mason Crosby on the out? this guy was a near automatic for awhile, has he been breaking down?
I would rather have Crosby over Dawson but Dawson hasn't given me enough to dislike him... thought he was good with Cleveland too...

Yep. He know kicks like David Crosby.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the problem with jenkins is work ethic? hopefully he gets things together, he has talent.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
so the problem with jenkins is work ethic? hopefully he gets things together, he has talent.

It's definitely a work ethic issue which is why the sooner we cut him, the better. He's useless and just taking up a roster spot.

He showed up his rookie year out of shape. I gave him a little bit of a break because he said he was very busy with the draft, classes and all.

Jerry Rice offers to do conditioning with him and run the hill and Jenkins basically shoots that idea down by never living up to the commitment. Not a huge deal again, but a slight flag.

Finally, and by far the biggest one, half way through the season, Jenkins gets his chance to shine and he lines up wrong and has to have his teamates tell him where to line up. I dont care if you are a rookie or not, half way through the season, when you know you only have to know a minimal amount of plays because they aren't having you in the game and you still line up wrong? That shows a glaring lack of preperation.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Jenkins is a head case now and then... Don't the scouts pick this up especially drafting in the 1st round and reaching for talent?
You can teach playbooks, schemes, rout running, etc, but you can't teach work ethic and heart. As a Cardinal fan living through decades of poor front office moves, I have seen it all. When you have a guy who has poor work ethic the best bet is to cut him now and move on.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You can teach playbooks, schemes, rout running, etc, but you can't teach work ethic and heart. As a Cardinal fan living through decades of poor front office moves, I have seen it all. When you have a guy who has poor work ethic the best bet is to cut him now and move on.

I don't agree with that. Obviously, given the choice, you'd like a worker. But the NFL is full of guys who have turned around in this area. On the Niners alone, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, and Anthony Dixon spring to mind as guys who, at one point or another, were questioned for their work ethic and commitment. They have become tremendous success stories. Jenkins may not have been in the best environment to cure this last year with Moss and Crabtree at the top of the WR group - both talented players, but neither necessarily hard workers (though reports on Moss in this area are decidedly mixed).

On the Cards, Michael Floyd was called out almost immediately for his work ethic. All signs are he corrected the problem because he had one of the hardest workers in the league harping on him in Larry Fitzgerald. Jenkins has that now in Boldin, and is on a team that in general is known for its hard workers. He doesn't have an indefinite period of time to correct the problem, but I'm not convinced it can't be corrected.

And let's recall the other old adage which is helping him out: you can't teach speed.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't agree with that. Obviously, given the choice, you'd like a worker. But the NFL is full of guys who have turned around in this area. On the Niners alone, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, and Anthony Dixon spring to mind as guys who, at one point or another, were questioned for their work ethic and commitment. They have become tremendous success stories. Jenkins may not have been in the best environment to cure this last year with Moss and Crabtree at the top of the WR group - both talented players, but neither necessarily hard workers (though reports on Moss in this area are decidedly mixed).

On the Cards, Michael Floyd was called out almost immediately for his work ethic. All signs are he corrected the problem because he had one of the hardest workers in the league harping on him in Larry Fitzgerald. Jenkins has that now in Boldin, and is on a team that in general is known for its hard workers. He doesn't have an indefinite period of time to correct the problem, but I'm not convinced it can't be corrected.

And let's recall the other old adage which is helping him out: you can't teach speed.
All valid points. The difference with Floyd was; he was called out during his rookie mini camp. Once Fitz got a hold of him he was a different person when training camp rolled around. I don't know the inside scoop on Jenkins, but it sounds like his issues have been lingering for a while. I'm not saying it can't work, just saying more times than not it doesn't work.

BTW- you are absolutely right about speed. However it is only a small piece of what a WR should have.

This guy probably won't even make the final cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
All valid points. The difference with Floyd was; he was called out during his rookie mini camp. Once Fitz got a hold of him he was a different person when training camp rolled around. I don't know the inside scoop on Jenkins, but it sounds like his issues have been lingering for a while. I'm not saying it can't work, just saying more times than not it doesn't work.

BTW- you are absolutely right about speed. However it is only a small piece of what a WR should have.

This guy probably won't even make the final cut.

And there's something to that, but I don't know how much. The point about changing one's work habits holds. Floyd did it early on, but he still did it. I'm not confident Jenkins will change. But I'm willing to give him one more year - over, say, Lavelle Hawkins or Ricardo Lockette - to work on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
As far as speed goes, of course that's correct. Hell, the best receivers on both our teams are probably among the slowest guys at the skill positions, and almost certainly at the WR position. But speed can be hugely important, and there's only so much a player can do to improve it.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as speed goes, of course that's correct. Hell, the best receivers on both our teams are probably among the slowest guys at the skill positions, and almost certainly at the WR position. But speed can be hugely important, and there's only so much a player can do to improve it.

I think there is very little a player can do about speed. Either they have it or they don't. The 49ers do need that speedy deep threat. Right now it is probably Vernon Davis.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think there is very little a player can do about speed. Either they have it or they don't. The 49ers do need that speedy deep threat. Right now it is probably Vernon Davis.

Right, that's what I'm saying. You can shave a few hundredths of a second off your 40 time with a lot of work - assuming you're already starting at elite athlete status - but there's only so much you can really do in that area.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Speed on the deep threat is great but what really matters is the separation and aggresiveness of a player to get open and get the ball. Seconds are measured by that bump or route....not pure track running speed.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Crabtree is another that turned around his work ethic...

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed on the deep threat is great but what really matters is the separation and aggresiveness of a player to get open and get the ball. Seconds are measured by that bump or route....not pure track running speed.[/QUOTE

You also can't teach strength. It's not that Jenkins hasn't been lifting weights all summer because he has. He isn't going to get any stronger. They drafted him as high as they did because the believed he could become the edge receiver who could take the top off of the defense. You can't do that from the slot. He isn't strong enough to be an edge receiver and he never will be. He can't fight off the press. He never had too in college. At best they can run him out of the slot. The truth is that they, as are some of the fans just in denial. They are still hoping that a miracle happens and Jenkins turns into the receiver they thought he would be.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speed on the deep threat is great but what really matters is the separation and aggresiveness of a player to get open and get the ball. Seconds are measured by that bump or route....not pure track running speed.[/QUOTE

You also can't teach strength. It's not that Jenkins hasn't been lifting weights all summer because he has. He isn't going to get any stronger. They drafted him as high as they did because the believed he could become the edge receiver who could take the top off of the defense. You can't do that from the slot. He isn't strong enough to be an edge receiver and he never will be. He can't fight off the press. He never had too in college. At best they can run him out of the slot. The truth is that they, as are some of the fans just in denial. They are still hoping that a miracle happens and Jenkins turns into the receiver they thought he would be.

He sure did that well lastnight. They showed him beating the press 4-5 times.