• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't believe it when they called that hold on Jenkins 21 yard reception.... he just can't seem to catch a break. I did notice that he was aggressive on that play though, and fought hard for an extra couple yards. Thought that was encouraging.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I couldn't believe it when they called that hold on Jenkins 21 yard reception.... its like, he just can't catch a break. I did notice that he was aggressive on that play though, and fought hard for an extra couple yards. Thought that was encouraging.

It took him a while at Illinois to grasp it, so I am hoping he turns the light bulb on soon. HArd to judge any WR playing with the back up QBs

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Speed on the deep threat is great but what really matters is the separation and aggresiveness of a player to get open and get the ball. Seconds are measured by that bump or route....not pure track running speed.[/QUOTE

You also can't teach strength. It's not that Jenkins hasn't been lifting weights all summer because he has. He isn't going to get any stronger. They drafted him as high as they did because the believed he could become the edge receiver who could take the top off of the defense. You can't do that from the slot. He isn't strong enough to be an edge receiver and he never will be. He can't fight off the press. He never had too in college. At best they can run him out of the slot. The truth is that they, as are some of the fans just in denial. They are still hoping that a miracle happens and Jenkins turns into the receiver they thought he would be.

I don't fully agree with that assessment. It's correct that they drafted him to be able to take the top off of the defense, but the main reason he went so high was for his versatility (potential) to play outside and in the slot. They want multiple players to create matchup problems with the pre-snap shifts and to create headaches for defensive coordinators with the constant player package rotation.

If it's third down and both Jenkins and Crabtree can hurt you from the slot, and outside, it puts a lot of pressure on the defense (confusion for the safeties) and can get the defense to show their hand when both shift in and out of the slot pre-snap. That was the role that they really wanted him to fill to dictate favorable matchups and open things up for everyone else. So far Jenkins hasn't shown he can beat CB's consistently. So far Chad Hall has been better in the slot compared to AJ's versatility. But that is specifically why they drafted him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He sure did that well lastnight. They showed him beating the press 4-5 times.

That's about the best response. Even though it was called back, that third down reception was exactly what he needed, and he needs to take that momentum into these next practices. McCoy and Tolzien didn't do anything to help the receivers yesterday. Even though he didn't put up any stats, at least AJ didn't hurt himself any further. That sideline pass to him was terrible, and it looked like he was getting a step.

One thing I find interesting is Marlon Moore only played a few snaps which could mean he's pegged into a roster spot. Or it could mean they know enough about him that putting him out there wouldn't really change his status. Something to keep an eye on though. It will also be interesting to see what happens this week for AJ's reps when Patton really gets into the mix.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved his demeanor on the sideline all happy and outgoing like he's having the greatest time ever. Not what you would expect from a guy that isn't getting it done. He is laughing all the way to the bank.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I loved his demeanor on the sideline all happy and outgoing like he's having the greatest time ever. Not what you would expect from a guy that isn't getting it done. He is laughing all the way to the bank.

Yeah this guy can't do anything right. Why isn't he in the fetal position emitting bad vibes instead? I mean, he's having fun at work, what is this? Football?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah this guy can't do anything right. Why isn't he in the fetal position emitting bad vibes instead? I mean, he's having fun at work, what is this? Football?

I don't understand how he can be having fun when the coaching staff has a vendetta against him. With Harbaugh and Roman determined to get a first round pick out of the league, he should be in the fetal position.

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand how he can be having fun when the coaching staff has a vendetta against him. With Harbaugh and Roman determined to get a first round pick out of the league, he should be in the fetal position.

Corny

willtalk

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea he did fine beating the press yesterday. And he also beat his man deep and the ball was way under thrown. If that pass was on target, that would have been a big gain, or a TD.

This reminds me of some of the posts after the SB last year where fans claimed that certain players were wide open when Kaep threw to Crabs. Defensive players often leave their men open after the ball is released and thrown to another player. The question should be was the player open at the release of the ball? I watched the films and those players who posters claimed to be open were covered until after the ball was thrown. They just seemed to be open because they were seen as such after the fact. People see and interpret things the way they want things to be rather than how they actually were.

If you watch the play that you mentioned closely you will see that Jenkins was covered. The defender was running side-by-side and had perfect position. The illusion of him having beaten his man is because the defender see's the ball is under thrown and slows down to catch the ball where as Jenkins continues to run at the same speed. The space was created after the ball was thrown by the defender slowing down intercept the ball. McCoy says since he was covered He expected and thought Jenkins would break the route and cut back underneath the defender and that's why he didn't throw it over his outside shoulder. Harbaugh didn't see the replays so he also thought that Jenkins had a half a step on the defender.( Smith?). It is difficult to see and time events that transpire on different parts of the field at the same time. In this case when the ball was in the air vs the coverage at that time. To me it is obvious that the defender broke back for the ball because of the length of time that they were running side by side vs the distance that was suddenly createdj. The defender slowed down.

Now I did not write this response to convince the poster or the other posters who are constantly looking for some positive sign that Jenkins is capable of breaking a press. True Smith is a strong press defender, but the ease that he knocked Jenkins around was telling. One time he just used one hand and it knocked Jenkins backwards and almost on his rear. I write this response for the individuals who might actually believe the pro-Jenkins spin that some of the fans put out. He did run an excellent route on his 20+ catch that was called back. I believe he is capable of that and he can catch. I just don't believe he is strong enough to play the edge position. I also think he recognizes his weakness physically and that is what is responsible for his lack of confidence.

The excuses for Jenkins are getting really sad. Such as if he could only play with Kaep and the first team he would be a super star. Kaep only played two series this entire pre-season. Why doesn't the same excuse apply for all the other wide receivers. Just think how good they would be if they got to play with Kaep. Some posters seem to have lost all perspective. News flash! The purpose of training camp and the preseason is to develop all the 49er players, evaluate them and pick the best to form the final team. It is not supposed to act as a personal rehab facility to restore the lost confidence AJ Jenkins.

Also to the poster that responded to my post that Jenkins was drafted to play the edge I say that versatility to also play the slot is a plus, but slot receivers are a dime a dozen compared to edge receivers. The edge receiver must also be physical besides having speed and thats what separates the two. The Niner's have a lot of slot receivers but lack that consistent edge wr receiver with the combination of strength and speed. That's why the are giving Lockette a look. If they saw Jenkins as purely a slot receiver they wouldn't have drafted him so high.

Band of Brothers

A Dreamer...trying to find my way home for dinner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jenkins needs to pick it up fast because there are some hungry WR that want a job. He is a been a big disappointment so far .

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins - WR - Chiefs

USA Today reports that "barring a last-minute snag," the 49ers are trading disappointing second-year WR A.J. Jenkins to the Chiefs.

CSN Bay Area confirms the 49ers are shopping Jenkins, but has no further details. If Jenkins — the No. 30 pick of the 2012 draft — is indeed Kansas City bound, it shouldn't be for more than a sixth- or seventh-round pick. Bumbling his way through a disastrous preseason, Jenkins was squarely on the roster bubble in San Francisco. Perhaps Jenkins would make fellow disappointing former first-rounder Jon Baldwin expendable in K.C. Wherever he's playing his football this season, Jenkins is off the fantasy radar.
Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Aug 19 - 11:58 AM

A.J. Jenkins - WR - Chiefs

Chiefs acquired WR A.J. Jenkins from the 49ers in exchange for WR Jon Baldwin.

It's a change-of-scenery swap of first-round draft busts. Jenkins will "reunite" with Alex Smith in Kansas City, though the duo combined for exactly zero catches in San Francisco last season. Jenkins' lone target came in Week 17. He has zero career receptions. The 49ers ran out of patience with last year's No. 30 pick after Jenkins showed absolutely nothing through two preseason games, fumbling away his only catch. Going from Colin Kaepernick to Smith certainly won't help Jenkins' "fantasy value," but perhaps a new locale will do him good. The over/under on his 2013 reception total is still in the neighborhood of 10.

Aug 19 - 12:08 PM

Last edited by a moderator:

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jon Baldwin - WR - 49ers

49ers acquired WR Jon Baldwin from the Chiefs in exchange for WR A.J. Jenkins.

A knucklehead on and off the field in K.C., Baldwin has just 41 catches for 579 yards (14.1 YPR) and two touchdowns through two NFL seasons. He's already dropped three passes in the preseason, and Baldwin's proneness to drops has often been the result of his attempts to one-hand catches for inexplicable reasons. He just turned 24, however, and talent has never been the factor holding Baldwin back. The trade looks better at surface level for the 49ers. While Jenkins is a frail wideout who noticeably shies from contact, Baldwin at least has a chance to be rehabbed if he buys into Jim Harbaugh's program. Harbaugh has a pretty good track record of turning past disappointments into players. (E.g. Ahmad Brooks, Michael Crabtree, Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, etc.)

Aug 19 - 12:04 PM

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Ugh. Not a big fan of this move. Who knows? Baldwin has physical talent, but the guy's an idiot. As memory serves he broke his hand in his rookie season fighting with one of the established vets - can't remember who. I want to say Thomas Jones?

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, if the Niner staff saw AJ as a lost cause, then trading for a talented WR with discipline issues with zero cap hit ain't a bad consolation prize.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the cap ramifications here, but I believe the Niners will be carrying $872.5K in dead money this year and $1.745M next year due to Jenkins' signing bonus. Can one of the cap experts on here confirm this?

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I havent really been following this guy. What kind of incidents and issues does he all have?

Dating back since his college days...the knock on him was always was character concerns. Also if I remember correctly that year (as a prospect) there were concerns about his worth ethic too. So far, those concerns are holding up to be true. He desperately needed a change of scenery. The guy has a boatload of talent, you can definitely see why someone would consider or draft him as a legitimate first round player , unlike AJ who was projected as a 3rd round prospect by most scouts.