• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ugh. Not a big fan of this move. Who knows? Baldwin has physical talent, but the guy's an idiot. As memory serves he broke his hand in his rookie season fighting with one of the established vets - can't remember who. I want to say Thomas Jones?

To me that shows fire. I wouldn't want a player on my team backing down or walking away from any challenge.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me that shows fire. I wouldn't want a player on my team backing down or walking away from any challenge.

This guy sounds like he has issues. Punchong teammates is not necessarily a good thing

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dating back since his college days...the knock on him was always was character concerns. Also if I remember correctly that year (as a prospect) there were concerns about his worth ethic too. So far, those concerns are holding up to be true. He desperately needed a change of scenery. The guy has a boatload of talent, you can definitely see why someone would consider or draft him as a legitimate first round player , unlike AJ who was projected as a 3rd round prospect by most scouts.

fine but also a case in point.............doesn't matter how much talent you have, boatload notwithstanding. if you can't put the rest of it together, you aren't becoming a good football player.

character plus work ethic concerns, THIS sounds more like a 3rd rounder if not lower?

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I'm misunderstanding the cap ramifications here, but I believe the Niners will be carrying $872.5K in dead money this year and $1.745M next year due to Jenkins' signing bonus. Can one of the cap experts on here confirm this?

Its actually beneficial to both side as far as the cap goes...

Per multiple sources the 49ers will trade 2012 first round draft pick WR AJ Jenkins to the Kansas City Chiefs. Jenkins has been a major disappointment for the WR depleted 49ers and they were considering releasing Jenkins despite the fact that they owe him guaranteed salary if someone failed to pick up his contract when placed on waivers.

The benefit of trading Jenkins is that the future guaranteed Paragraph 5 salary transfers to the team that trades for the player. That saves the 49ers from potentially having to pay Jenkins $1,727,391 after having cut him from the team. Jenkins did have offsets in his contract, but had he cleared waivers a team could sign him for the minimum salary of $480,000 and $570,000 over the next two seasons leaving the 49ers with more money owed and hurting their short term salary cap as they wait for credits to be applied.

The 49ers will have a dead money cap charges of $873,187 in 2013 and $1,746,374 in 2014 attributed to Jenkins. The Chiefs will take on cap charges of $705,797, $1,021,594, and $1,337,390 from 2013 thru 2015, the first two years of which are fully guaranteed. This trade also illustrates the team benefits of the new CBA as a trade under the prior CBA would have been difficult as the 49ers would have likely paid Jenkins a salary advance or option bonus in March and reduced his base salaries to the minimum. The cap charge associated with such a trade would have been too high for the 49ers to absorb.

After writing this I just saw that the terms of the trade included WR Jon Baldwin going to the 49ers. Baldwin had a fully guaranteed salary of $1,061,510 that now transfers to the 49ers. Next year Baldwin will carry a cap charge of $1,404,765 for San Francisco, none of which is guaranteed. His dead money charge for the Chiefs will be $998,018 in both 2013 and 2014.This was a necessity for Kansas City as they could not absorb the salary cap impact of Jenkins’ contract without moving other players. Kansas City only has around $7,500 in cap room, not enough to trade a conditional pick for Jenkins salary. The trade in essence becomes a financial swap of disappointing first round players that provides the short term needs for the Chiefs and long term needs of the 49ers.

The trade works out to be a financial benefit for both sides. The 49ers will save themselves around $665,000 in guaranteed salary and remove any future guarantees from the books in 2014, when their salary cap looks to be quite tight. The cap starved Chiefs will receive an immediate cap benefit of about $355,000 in return for taking on guaranteed salary in 2014. So it’s a benefit for both sides that, at the very least, makes sense from a financial perspective even if both sides feel there is little to gain from the players involved.

49ers and Chiefs Trade Disappointing WR's - Over the Cap

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man.. you guys are lucky.... Trent Baalke can reach into a bucket of shit and pull out a gold nugget. We were stuck with Rod Graves for all these years, and are suffering the consequences because of his ineptitude with trades, draft picks etc....

Baalke makes an unbelievable gaffe with A.J. Jenkins, but is then able to at least trade him for a serviceable player.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man.. you guys are lucky.... Trent Baalke can reach into a bucket of shit and pull out a gold nugget. We were stuck with Rod Graves for all these years, and are suffering the consequences because of his ineptitude with trades, draft picks etc....

Baalke makes an unbelievable gaffe with A.J. Jenkins, but is then able to at least trade him for a serviceable player.

Man, I was so looking forward to beating you over the head with Jenkins emergence.... now we will never know. I do like Baldwins size

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't going to emerge Breaker.... at least not in San Francisco, and if he does a few years down the road it will be as a Steve Breaston type 3rd wheel...

Now that all the smoke has settled, I still can't help to think that there is much more to this than what we know...

I knew that his talent skillset didn't really fit the bill for a 1st rounder... but obviously, something else is there... for a GM and Coach to give up on a 1st rounder so quickly, you know that there was more than meets the eye (or what was being written) about this kid. I'm sure that now that he is no longer a 49'er, we will hear more... but it should be interesting.

Nice getting Baldwin, he can at least hopefully be a serviceable 3rd receiver (when Manningham comes back) - Obviously, SF will still need to find a guy to take the top off a defense from the outside... but Baldwin hopefully will be able to get some meaningful reps, and develop as yet another red zone threat.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I was so looking forward to beating you over the head with Jenkins emergence.... now we will never know. I do like Baldwins size

I wonder if Alex Smith had any input into the Jenkins trade.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good move for both teams. Jenkins has potential but he offers next to nothing right now and the 49ers need WR depth now. At least Baldwin can get on the field. The Chiefs aren't geared to win now and they're not giving up much. Neither player was likely to blossom where they were. Who knows what a change of scenery will bring. I doubt that either player develops into much but it's a no risk move. It should also end the circus.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This deal was probably discussed over this past weekends preseason games when both teams brass were together....

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This move takes a ton of pressure off of Jenkins. Baldwin won't have any pressure either other than making the roster. That is the biggest impact of the move for both players, but Jenkins should benefit from that most.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't going to emerge Breaker.... at least not in San Francisco, and if he does a few years down the road it will be as a Steve Breaston type 3rd wheel...

Now that all the smoke has settled, I still can't help to think that there is much more to this than what we know...

I knew that his talent skillset didn't really fit the bill for a 1st rounder... but obviously, something else is there... for a GM and Coach to give up on a 1st rounder so quickly, you know that there was more than meets the eye (or what was being written) about this kid. I'm sure that now that he is no longer a 49'er, we will hear more... but it should be interesting.

Nice getting Baldwin, he can at least hopefully be a serviceable 3rd receiver (when Manningham comes back) - Obviously, SF will still need to find a guy to take the top off a defense from the outside... but Baldwin hopefully will be able to get some meaningful reps, and develop as yet another red zone threat.

What was really kind of interesting was a quote from Kyle Williams who is good friends with Jenkins... He said something like... "I told him.... you wanted a fresh start, here it is, make the most of it"

Wanted a fresh start? Sounds like negative press was eating him up.

And you don't know he wouldn't have eventually emerged in SF Cakes. I give you credit for calling out this draft pick since day 1, but if Jenkins emerges in KC or anywhere else you still have some crow to eat.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just found out about this move. I guess it is better than getting cut and picked up from another team or not at all. I'm not sure that he can do any better in KC or that his work ethic will improve there ,but I wish him luck and he proved me right about him when it comes to the 9ers. Now we have Baldwin whom I don't know much about....doing some reading on him.....

EKmane

Mr. Wit The $h!t
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This guy sounds like he has issues. Punchong teammates is not necessarily a good thing

How do you know he wasn't punched first? How do you know he was in the wrong and wasn't defending himself?

Or is it that you agree with backing down from an "established vet"?

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
This trade will come back to bite us. I do like Jenkins in Reid's offense since he does spread the field a little more.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Jenkins was imminent. Everything you heard from the coaching staff about him was less than positive. Everything you heard form the media was flat out negative. And the fans were giving mixed reviews. A young kid can only take so much negativity until he cracks. In addition, word on the street is he had poor work ethic. Although it is possible to motivate and coach someone up, more times than not when a kid has poor work ethic he is doomed. In my opinion letting Jenkins go was a smart move. If there is one thing I envy about Harbaugh is the fact that he is not afraid to pull the trigger when needed. That is the sign of a true leader (and that's not easy to say as a Cardinal fan).

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking at this move with a boner. We basically cut him with less cap ramifications. The bonus is we get to see what Baldwin can do in our org.

elw4corps

Go Green, Go White
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting rid of Jenkins was imminent. Everything you heard from the coaching staff about him was less than positive. Everything you heard form the media was flat out negative. And the fans were giving mixed reviews. A young kid can only take so much negativity until he cracks. In addition, word on the street is he had poor work ethic. Although it is possible to motivate and coach someone up, more times than not when a kid has poor work ethic he is doomed. In my opinion letting Jenkins go was a smart move. If there is one thing I envy about Harbaugh is the fact that he is not afraid to pull the trigger when needed. That is the sign of a true leader (and that's not easy to say as a Cardinal fan).

That is true; when VD says take it up a notch on your off the field habits it makes it sound he was doing the bare min here in san fran.