• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
yeah, but I INTENDED to note how fans felt over a 'laggard' WR. didn't intend to compare WR's.

ok, and now that i think about it...............wasn't a good idea.

I know you weren't comparing the players, just their situations. But Crabtree showed something immediately. The question was just whether he would be top-10 pick good. Jenkins has literally done nothing positive in a game - preseason or regular season.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another frustrating point is that Chris Owusu - though dealing with a minor injury at present - has been drawing praise for the Bucs. Really frustrating to think we could have added a starting CB and still had a UDFA WR who was showing more than Jenkins. Ugh.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another frustrating point is that Chris Owusu - though dealing with a minor injury at present - has been drawing praise for the Bucs. Really frustrating to think we could have added a starting CB and still had a UDFA WR who was showing more than Jenkins. Ugh.

Wasted number 1 picks are the things that kill franchises.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasted number 1 picks are the things that kill franchises.

I would say that target a SINGLE 1st round pick and saying that it singularly kills a franchise is a bit of hyperbole. I know you didn't specify with the singular but we are talking Jenkins only and Baalke hasn't whiffed in the 1st otherwise.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins - WR - 49ers

49ers OC Greg Roman cited A.J. Jenkins' "down-in and down-out consistency" as the primary factor hindering his improvement.

Roman says Jenkins is capable of "spectacular catches" and his route running is "getting better," but the 2012 first-rounder played behind practice squad-type Marlon Moore in the preseason opener and fumbled away his lone reception. Until Jenkins shows in a game something that might indicate he's not a bust, we're going to consider him one. He's not even worth a fantasy flier.
Source: CSN Bay Area

Aug 12 - 4:31 PM

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's the guy I wanted them to keep.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that target a SINGLE 1st round pick and saying that it singularly kills a franchise is a bit of hyperbole. I know you didn't specify with the singular but we are talking Jenkins only and Baalke hasn't whiffed in the 1st otherwise.

Yeah, I meant plural, but you can't miss too often.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
A.J. Jenkins - WR - 49ers

The Sacramento Bee doesn't consider 49ers WR A.J. Jenkins a lock for a roster spot.

Beat writer Matt Barrows considers Anquan Boldin, Kyle Williams and Quinton Patton the only locks in the 49ers' receiver corps. We'd agree on Patton, but wouldn't go that far on Williams, who is a special-teams type returning from a torn ACL. Cutting a first-rounder just 16 months after he was picked would be almost unprecedented, but Jenkins has shown absolutely nothing on the field. GM Trent Baalke and coach Jim Harbaugh aren't afraid to make unconventional decisions...like when they drafted Jenkins. Nevertheless, it's hard to see Jenkins losing his spot unless he's absolutely pathetic over the final three preseason games.
Source: Sacramento Bee

Aug 13 - 1:27 PM

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting because had we not picked him up St Louis would have with the first pick of the second round. But sure he was graded as third round.
Possible. The reports are that Fisher wanted Quick more than AJ Jenkins, but those were his top 2 choices. Some thought that both would be available at #33 and the Rams might move down or take Janoris Jenkins. There were also reports after the 1st day of the Draft that the Browns wanted Quick.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I immediately thought of the Rams yesterday when discussing the possibility we cut him loose. The Rams would probably pick him up because I saw Quick wasn't doing anything either.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I immediately thought of the Rams yesterday when discussing the possibility we cut him loose. The Rams would probably pick him up because I saw Quick wasn't doing anything either.

Id trade AJ Jenkins for Brian Quick with the quickness. At this point Quick is 100x better than AJ Jenkins just for being able to compete in the NFL and be on a starting roster.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a tweet today that I thought was appropriate. I'm paraphrasing but the basic premise was, AJ Jenkins has been in the NFL for 15 months. How did we ever have Alex Smith for 8 years?!?

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a tweet today that I thought was appropriate. I'm paraphrasing but the basic premise was, AJ Jenkins has been in the NFL for 15 months. How did we ever have Alex Smith for 8 years?!?

Smith wasn't the problem for those 8 years.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00

Totally not even close to the same thing.

Not that I'm saying cut AJ Jenkins, but this is terrible rationale.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Smith wasn't the problem for those 8 years.

Totally not even close to the same thing.

Not that I'm saying cut AJ Jenkins, but this is terrible rationale.

Kaepernick is good enough that Jenkins doesn't have a legitimate reason not to produce something this year when we have so many injuries. I mean Alex had his limitations and poor play, but he didn't have a Kaepernick so to speak to help him, in those bad years. His run oline solidified this past few years, when Smith didn't get nearly the same criticism. Plus, some had called for Smith to go after 15 months, too - just not to Jenkins level - partly because we knew we couldn't cut him and we could cut Jenkins.

Having said that, Jenkins should get some more time.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Rams wouldn't pick up Jenkins. Quick is behind both rookie Rams WRs & Pettis. All of them are way behind Givens. Practice squad WR Radway looked surprisingly good and might threaten Quick's 5th place on the depth chart.

Alex Smith always looked good enough to be on a roster. The jury's out on both Jenkins & Quick. If it's any consolation to 49ers fans the Rams #50 pick, RB Pead, might be even worse.