• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1z, here's my issue with your theory: why? Why would the coaches be sabotaging Jenkins? Last year we desperately needed him to step up. This year, we could hardly need him more. We absolutely have to have a reliable second receiver, ideally a deep threat to stretch the field. It's a role that should be a natural fit for Jenkins, so why would the staff deliberately hold him back? Not to mention QBs who are fighting for their jobs and should be going to the open man - if they have faith him that guy.

I feel like I've asked you this before and have never gotten a straight answer. A conspiracy theory is only plausible if there's some reason for it. I just don't see it here.

Has anybody signed Randy Moss yet? No great shakes anymore but at least you gotta cover him.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is the major problem the AJ fans seem to have. They assume that because he was drafted to be a starter then he is entitled to that spot irregardless of how well he plays. What they are also not considering is that the Niner's are hurting for a ( scarce )take the top of the defense edge receiver. Also Wr in general not just for this year but more so for next since Manningham and Bolton will be free agents with Crabs soon to follow. They don't have the time or the roster spot to waste on a long term project. It is not like he still has a lot of unfullfilled upside left which justifys the wait. At best he will be a better than average slot receiver ( which he played and was successful as in college ) and they are a dime a dozen. They drafted him to try developing him as an edge receiver and he has shown the strength necessary to play that position. That was where he was needed and where they had him projected as playing. It's similar to any other college player being projected to the pro's playing a different position. TB thought he could convert him.Sometimes it works and sometimes they cant make the transition.

The natural problem that everyone has is greed that he'll finally clime out of his cocoon and turn into a good player. No one wants to admit that we flushed a 1st rounder down the drain. If he doesn't offer versatility, can't run decent routes, have the mental ability to line up in the right place/run the right route, can't catch the ball, can't stop fumbling when he does catch the ball, and continually gets outplayed by everyone picked up off the street then we have to cut the loss. I'm on his side for now because we need someone to step up with Crabtree out but it doesn't look like the coaching staff is buying into greed which is a good thing. He either needs to start showing that he can put something together soon or he won't get through the cuts.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The natural problem that everyone has is greed that he'll finally clime out of his cocoon and turn into a good player. No one wants to admit that we flushed a 1st rounder down the drain. If he doesn't offer versatility, can't run decent routes, have the mental ability to line up in the right place/run the right route, can't catch the ball, can't stop fumbling when he does catch the ball, and continually gets outplayed by everyone picked up off the street then we have to cut the loss. I'm on his side for now because we need someone to step up with Crabtree out but it doesn't look like the coaching staff is buying into greed which is a good thing. He either needs to start showing that he can put something together soon or he won't get through the cuts.

Greed?

Its greed to think that a first round draft pick deserves a little more chance to blossom because of the price paid for him? If we release Jenkins then we have flushed a first round draft pick down the toilette, until then we are waiting to see what he does. So far it hasn't been good. But its not over yet and hoping he does pan out is not greed. Its hopefulness. Which isn't a negative quality, emotion, or action like greed is.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that first round pick is already flushed down the toilet. I don't see Jenkins ever being worth his draft slot. AJ making a contribution seems far fetched at this point.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is any kind of conspiracy if Harbaugh and Roman are moving on from AJ Jenkins by giving him a smaller opportunity. They have to take the approach that it is more important to find the best players for this team instead of make sure a #1 draft pick succeeds. Jenkins should be a lot better than he was a year ago, but it seems that he isn't much different. At some point the coaches have to keep moving ahead full speed instead of waiting for AJ to catch up. He'll still have a fair opportunity to prove himself, but I wouldn't expect them to devote that much game-time to a guy who gets one catch and fumbles it.

This is apples to oranges, but I'm not completely discouraged because even last year a lot of people were disappointed that Kaepernick didn't seize the job from Alex Smith in camp. For whatever reasons, Kaep just wasn't there yet... but when he got his chance halfway into the season with real bullets flying he turned into the guy everyone wanted him to be... maybe AJ will finally show his worth in real games instead of on the practice field or preseason.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Greed?

Its greed to think that a first round draft pick deserves a little more chance to blossom because of the price paid for him? If we release Jenkins then we have flushed a first round draft pick down the toilette, until then we are waiting to see what he does. So far it hasn't been good. But its not over yet and hoping he does pan out is not greed. Its hopefulness. Which isn't a negative quality, emotion, or action like greed is.

It's greed for keeping someone around purely for upside potential. It's assuming because he was selected in the first round that he will turn into a good player. If Lockette was drafted in the first round then all these expectations would be on him instead.

Most young players need time to develop. A player like K. Williams had time to develop because he offered skills in the slot and ST's. Jenkins offers no special teams value, and is behind both Williams and Hall at slot receiver at this point. I really hope he can stick around and develop, but it's not like he's a QB. He's got to be good enough to get on the field. There's just not enough room on the roster to develop someone for two full years at WR unless they're stashed on the PS. He might be safe until Crabtree comes back, but then a tough decision will be made.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's greed for keeping someone around purely for upside potential. It's assuming because he was selected in the first round that he will turn into a good player. If Lockette was drafted in the first round then all these expectations would be on him instead.

Most young players need time to develop. A player like K. Williams had time to develop because he offered skills in the slot and ST's. Jenkins offers no special teams value, and is behind both Williams and Hall at slot receiver at this point. I really hope he can stick around and develop, but it's not like he's a QB. He's got to be good enough to get on the field. There's just not enough room on the roster to develop someone for two full years at WR unless they're stashed on the PS. He might be safe until Crabtree comes back, but then a tough decision will be made.

Here's the thing, though. What are we replacing him with? Marlon Moore is going into his fourth year. He hasn't done much at all - granted in four years. Lockette is entering year three. Hall is entering his fourth year. These guys had a chance to develop. Jenkins hasn't had much of a chance yet, and we almost certainly can't stash him on the PS. I don't like giving draft picks priority when they're getting outplayed, but that's the way it works. He's got talent, it seems like much of it at this point is mental. He's not a trouble maker, not a head case, he just seems uncertain. There's too much of a risk right now that you cut him loose, he goes somewhere else, and it clicks. Can't take that chance one year in on a first-round pick IMO.

EaseUrStorm

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here's the thing, though. What are we replacing him with? Marlon Moore is going into his fourth year. He hasn't done much at all - granted in four years. Lockette is entering year three. Hall is entering his fourth year. These guys had a chance to develop. Jenkins hasn't had much of a chance yet, and we almost certainly can't stash him on the PS. I don't like giving draft picks priority when they're getting outplayed, but that's the way it works. He's got talent, it seems like much of it at this point is mental. He's not a trouble maker, not a head case, he just seems uncertain. There's too much of a risk right now that you cut him loose, he goes somewhere else, and it clicks. Can't take that chance one year in on a first-round pick IMO.

I hope this whole thing has been done to mentally challenge him. If not it depends how many we keep, and how much upside they really see in him. It's likely he stays until Crabtree comes back. He'd be developing for almost two years at that point. This is the same team that cut ties with Mays after he couldn't do the job. Here's where we'd be:

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. Manningham
4. Williams
5. Patton

6. Jenkins/Collie/Hall/Moore/Lockette/Osgood/etc.

There's a ton of variables for that last spot at that time. We have one developmental guy already with Patton. If Osgood makes the team and is playing at a pro bowl ST's level then he'd be hard to cut in place of Jenkins after ST's cost us so bad in the superbowl. If Collie makes the team and is actively rotating in and getting production as a #4 then he could be hard to cut. If Moore or Lockette hung around and was better than him at that point then that's a bad sign for him.

It also depends who else is hanging around at the bottom of the roster, and their plans for the following year. They could keep 7 WR's and keep him inactive again. It would be really hard to justify though if every other WR on the roster was actively contributing.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think that first round pick is already flushed down the toilet. I don't see Jenkins ever being worth his draft slot. AJ making a contribution seems far fetched at this point.

didn't we all feel this way with Crabtree? worse, Crabtree was a #10 overall. not comparing AJ to Crabtree on talent, but comparing how we fans felt Crabtree was 'flushed down the toilet'.

agree odds are not high Jenkins will be worth his draft slot, but being a LATE 1st, it isn't "already flushed down the toilet".

AJ can certainly make a contribution, even if he doesn't meet his draft status. i'd say this part is above 50% chance, not "far fetched".

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
didn't we all feel this way with Crabtree? worse, Crabtree was a #10 overall. not comparing AJ to Crabtree on talent, but comparing how we fans felt Crabtree was 'flushed down the toilet'.

agree odds are not high Jenkins will be worth his draft slot, but being a LATE 1st, it isn't "already flushed down the toilet".

AJ can certainly make a contribution, even if he doesn't meet his draft status. i'd say this part is above 50% chance, not "far fetched".

No. On several grounds. While plenty of people were outspoken about Crabtree, plenty of people (me) felt he could be quite good. As memory serves, I specifically cited Smith's struggles hitting Crabtree in stride, fitting the ball into tight windows, and throwing to the edges as reasons for Crabtree's struggles. Not that I feel vindicated by last season or anything..

Perhaps more specifically, though, people felt Crabtree wouldn't be worth #10, not that he wouldn't contribute. His rookie season was actually quite good, especially given the holdout. It's debatable even with last season if he was worth #10, though. It's somewhat comparable to Jenkins, I suppose, but very different as there are legitimate fears that Jenkins will never produce at all.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope this whole thing has been done to mentally challenge him. If not it depends how many we keep, and how much upside they really see in him. It's likely he stays until Crabtree comes back. He'd be developing for almost two years at that point. This is the same team that cut ties with Mays after he couldn't do the job. Here's where we'd be:

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. Manningham
4. Williams
5. Patton

There's a ton of variables for that last spot at that time. We have one developmental guy already with Patton. If Osgood makes the team and is playing at a pro bowl ST's level then he'd be hard to cut in place of Jenkins after ST's cost us so bad in the superbowl. If Collie makes the team and is actively rotating in and getting production as a #4 then he could be hard to cut. If Moore or Lockette hung around and was better than him at that point then that's a bad sign for him.

It also depends who else is hanging around at the bottom of the roster, and their plans for the following year. They could keep 7 WR's and keep him inactive again. It would be really hard to justify though if every other WR on the roster was actively contributing.

I keep thinking about this roster battle. It's gonna be a hard Decision for the coaches. Who knows when crabs will officially be ready to play or manning ham for that matter. Excluding crabs and manning ham here's what I got.

Locks: Boldin, Williams

Boldin and Williams seem for sure. I believe Patton gets a shot with his potential and injury setting him back. Jenkins will get one more shot. Then I believe it's up for grabs with collie Moore osgood lockette hall and hawkins battling for 2 spots. Collie and Moore seem to have the best shot. But osgood and lockette showed good stuff on special teams and hall has been solid all camp. Hawkins might not have a shot but potential is there.

Really tough

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

1. Crabtree
2. Boldin
3. Manningham
4. Williams
5. Patton

I agree that if and when Manningham and Crabtree get back it will be very interesting to see what happens to Jenkins, and the roster in general. At that point, we could get rid of a vet like Collie, who I think is a strong bet to make the team right now. But I honestly don't know. I'm skeptical Osgood makes it. Moore is the better receiver, he's cheaper, and he's a good gunner. We've also got guys like Spillman and Cox who can play gunner. There's no doubt Jenkins is in a fight. I just think it would be early to get rid of him at the start of the season given where he was picked. But he's got to show something at some point.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No. On several grounds. While plenty of people were outspoken about Crabtree, plenty of people (me) felt he could be quite good. As memory serves, I specifically cited Smith's struggles hitting Crabtree in stride, fitting the ball into tight windows, and throwing to the edges as reasons for Crabtree's struggles. Not that I feel vindicated by last season or anything..

Perhaps more specifically, though, people felt Crabtree wouldn't be worth #10, not that he wouldn't contribute. His rookie season was actually quite good, especially given the holdout. It's debatable even with last season if he was worth #10, though. It's somewhat comparable to Jenkins, I suppose, but very different as there are legitimate fears that Jenkins will never produce at all.

yeah, but I INTENDED to note how fans felt over a 'laggard' WR. didn't intend to compare WR's.

ok, and now that i think about it...............wasn't a good idea.