• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A.J. Jenkins

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that's the concern. He seems like he's a little shaky above the shoulders. Not giving up on him, but it's getting down to the wire for him. I'd still be surprised if we cut bait on a first rounder before giving him his second season, but we don't have the depth to wait around for him to develop.
I'm still hoping he will prove me wrong and be something to the team. We could use him.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get it dude, you think AJ Jenkins stinks. I heard you loud and clear.

Thanks for stopping bye to tell everyone how terrible AJ Jenkins is. Your viewpoint is noted. But its starting to look trollish for you to argue so hard about it as a Cardinals fan on a Niner board. Especially since your one other contribution to this board was to eagerly tell us that Chris Culliver had been injured.

The Truth isn't Trolling. I'm not attempting to illicit a flame response, nor am I seeing many 49'er fans actually defending the fact that A.J. Jenkins wasn't a good draft pick. I'd also be the first to tell you that even if he does get cut (which I kind of expect) - His draft class was a total success. It's just that had they made a better first round choice, it probably had the chance as being one of those "all time great" drafts... but he's going to kill that.

The 49'ers have a LOAD of riches.. one that most fans of any other NFL team is 100% envious of. I can tell you for one that I am. I don't have a single problem in the world admitting that.

I do think that the NFC West will come down to San Fran, Seattle... both probably in the 10 Win range, as I think the whole division is going to beat the crap out of each other....

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Perfect. A confessed troll attempt. This is someone I would be on board with banning.

Let's not be that quick on the trigger. If he becomes a problem that post will be easy to use to get him banned. If he's just havin' a little fun & moving on, no big deal.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Jenkins will bust and I'm calling it here first. Kaepernick is going to bust HUGE once the 49ers lose the run game. He was lost last year whenever the run game couldn't get going. And I mean lost... like LOL Sanchez worthy.

Seattle late in the season was a prime example.. when Seattle shut down the run Colin couldn't do ANYTHING... also in the SBOWL... Gore did nothing in the first half and neither did Colin.

I hate to say it... Colin is a system QB. Once that run gets shut down he'll be crap.

And AJ Jenkins hasn't proven anything. The kid was horrible at getting separation in college, he has no quick moves or threat ability... he's just another 'guy' on the field. 49ers are going to be in trouble this year if teams figure out their run game. BIG trouble. Like 6-10 trouble.

A few thoughts. First, you're hardly the first person to call Jenkins as a bust. Get in line.

Second, good point about Colin looking lost in the SB. All he did was produce 364 yards and 2 TDs in that one. What a joke he was in that one.

Third, I'm not concerned about teams figuring out our run game. Our OL is the best run blocking unit in the league, and it's not close.

Finally, it's interesting that you think Colin needs the run game to be successful given that the Hawks were 1-2 over the second half of last year and the playoffs when Lynch had fewer than 87 yards on the ground, the only win coming in a tie. And, you know, the fact that the Hawks are terrible on the road. Though, hey, they did beat Chicago and Buffalo. And a Washington team without a functioning QB.

luckyluke22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Jenkins was fools gold....His college tape was not that impressive... He had a nice stat line his senior season... but if you really watched him, he had 2 good games which basically comprised his entire year, and he played them against inferior competition and took advantage of some weaker teams, that had injuries to boot.

Jenkins isn't a bust yet, but he most Certainly was a "Round Bust" - He shouldn't have even been considered a first round player... he shouldn't have even been considered a 2nd rounder... He was a third rounder at very best considering his skillset, and he clearly was reached for.

Interesting because had we not picked him up St Louis would have with the first pick of the second round. But sure he was graded as third round.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting because had we not picked him up St Louis would have with the first pick of the second round. But sure he was graded as third round.

Wouldn't we be lucky if that played out.... let St Louis make the mistake.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you didn't like that pick as I didn't. I was hoping to trade up for Blackmon or Wright..or wait for Hill. Picture our last season with a quality WR on the other side of Crabs.

CakesW

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Exactly... and it's purely hearsay that they "would have" drafted Jenkins with that selection.

It was a middling WR class.... I'm a Cardinal fan, and I really didn't want Michael Floyd, even though I felt he was probably the best of the bunch.

Justin Blackmon wasn't even remotely close to the talent level of guys drafted as high as he was the previous decade or so... he's NOT Larry Fitzgerald, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson or even Dez Bryant... he's a complete notch below that...

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
It's doubtful he'll live up to the 1st round status which in a way I can sympathize because it's not his fault he was drafted higher than he should've been (I don't feel sorry for him because I'm sure the money he got for being a 1st rounder he's not complaining about) and that's going to be hanging over his head for his career.

Though I retain some hope he can be a late bloomer and be a productive member of the WR corps. I mean with guys like Boone and possibly Ian Williams going from undrafted to quality starting players I do have some belief in our staff to coach guys up to their talent.

I'm in agreement that in his case it's more mental than physical. I think he just needs to forget his draft status and the expectations that come with it and all the bust labels thrown his way and take it all one step and one play at a time working like a mad man and doing everything he can to get better.

Breaker99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His draft class was a total success. It's just that had they made a better first round choice, it probably had the chance as being one of those "all time great" drafts... but he's going to kill that.

Yeah AJ Jenkins is going to kill this "ALL TIME GREAT" draft....

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois
2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon
4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Forest
5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame
6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State
6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon
7 237 Cam Johnson

Which player available at 30th overall was going to make that draft an "All Time Great Draft"?

Seriously troll, you need to beat it.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah AJ Jenkins is going to kill this "ALL TIME GREAT" draft....

1 30 A.J. Jenkins WR Illinois
2 61 LaMichael James RB Oregon
4 117 Joe Looney C/G Wake Forest
5 165 Darius Fleming OLB Notre Dame
6 180 Trent Robinson SS Michigan State
6 199 Jason Slowey T Western Oregon
7 237 Cam Johnson

Which player available at 30th overall was going to make that draft an "All Time Great Draft"?

Seriously troll, you need to beat it.

We're only one year in. Let's see how it plays out. Fleming has been undone by injury, but that could happen to any player. Just bad luck. James has shown some promise. The third round pick turned into a load of other picks that year and this year. We'll see what happens with Looney, Robinson, and Johnson. It's tough to make this roster, though.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're only one year in. Let's see how it plays out. Fleming has been undone by injury, but that could happen to any player. Just bad luck. James has shown some promise. The third round pick turned into a load of other picks that year and this year. We'll see what happens with Looney, Robinson, and Johnson. It's tough to make this roster, though.

One guy I thought and still think has the ability to do something is Trent Robinson.. But with the addition of Reid and the other Safeties not sure if he is going to do much.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He could next season if Whitner walks.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was a first round draft pick... He's being surpassed on a depth chart that desperately needs WR talent, and he isn't responding.... at ALL. There isn't any "negative attention" that should influence a professional athletes well being...

He is at practice... he knows what is going on around him... He knows where he is sitting on the depth chart. There should be no excuses for him.... EVER...

yet... seemingly.. that all we've seen from him... the ability to have people make excuses.

I seriously would not be shocked, if he is a week 3 preseason cut. The 49'ers are a Super Bowl contending team, and they probably have 5-6 WR's on the Roster who are clearly better than A.J. Jenkins at this point...

I get what you are saying. I disagree to an extent with your perception of him. First, I don't dispute that he was a bad pick at the end of the 1st round based on how raw he seemed to be. However, I DO believe that he has the tools to become a solid player for this team. The game vs. Broncos two days ago showed that he was getting open, but our backup OL was TURRIBLE so McCoy and Tolzien were running for their lives. He botched the only ball that came his way but he was running good routes and getting open.

Like I posted earlier, we just need to be patient. By the end of year three, if he hasn't shown enough to warrant a spot as one of our top four WR, then I am all for getting rid of him. But it is definitely difficult for me to fathom a situation where we cut our 1st rd pick after only one season in which he rarely saw the field to prove his worth.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think Robinson is an interesting guy. He's short, but he has very long arms and good measurables. Who knows? Maybe he pushes for FS next year and we think about bumping Reid to SS. More likely he remains a backup, but we'll see.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One guy I thought and still think has the ability to do something is Trent Robinson.. But with the addition of Reid and the other Safeties not sure if he is going to do much.

I felt the same way about Robinson but he hasn't been able to crack the lineup enough to get much PT.

Dodub

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Robinson as a starter in this league, he is a solid back up and great ST player but starter he is not. I understand that Whitner is short too but Robinson simply is not Whitner. I could see us resigning Whitner for cheap.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Perfect. A confessed troll attempt. This is someone I would be on board with banning.

I'm torn on this, on the one hand I agree, but I think it might be worse if he was actually so stupid as to believe what he was writing. Why do we need people that dumb who aren't even 49er fans on the board?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm torn on this, on the one hand I agree, but I think it might be worse if he was actually so stupid as to believe what he was writing. Why do we need people that dumb who aren't even 49er fans on the board?

I don't see it as trolling but more as trash talk. I would hope they would come up with more witty responses and better knowledge but we can't ask for too much from the less fortunate in the brain pan.