• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

A few thoughts on the game

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No. The Rams are playing for stats and/or contract incentives and nothing else; even the draft difference between 8.5-7.5 or 7.5-8.5 is nominal. And since we and they are playing at the same time - I expect Seattle to win big.

There is always a chance that Fisher uses it as a tone setter game for the next season.

End by beating a tough divisional rival in the toughest venue in sports is something you can build on for the next year.

Regardless the game is meaningless unless we lose to the Cards but I will say the Rams have a better chance of beating the Hawks then we do losing to the Cards.

The big game to keep an eye on is the Vikings and Packers game since both teams still have plenty to play for especially the Vikings who are fighting to hold onto a playoff spot and trying to maybe get AP his record.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is always a chance that Fisher uses it as a tone setter game for the next season.

End by beating a tough divisional rival in the toughest venue in sports is something you can build on for the next year.

Regardless the game is meaningless unless we lose to the Cards but I will say the Rams have a better chance of beating the Hawks then we do losing to the Cards.

The big game to keep an eye on is the Vikings and Packers game since both teams still have plenty to play for especially the Vikings who are fighting to hold onto a playoff spot and trying to maybe get AP his record.

Tone setter? Never heard of that but I suppose it could happen - I would tend to think health and draft slot are more important than setting a tone. Also, can't Seattle drop in the seeding if they lose? If so, then it is not meaningless for Seattle.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can see the rams going out and wanting to win as for the same reason the cards will want too. It's a divisional game and the rams have yet to lose in the division and might wanna make a statement.

Also I am glad the pack got the Vikings as they are fighting for there life. We could still end up with that bye.

But really I would hate for us to lose the division and possibly have to meet Seattle up in there house.

msgkings322

I'm just here to troll everyone
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As beat up physically as the team is and with the confidence-shattering beatdown they took from Seattle I would not be completly surprised if they lost to Arizona on Sunday. I don't see where they are going to get any offense.

Why do you folks tolerate this wimpy little jerk on your board? We ran him off the SF Giants board ages ago.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Regardless, [Seattle's] game is meaningless unless we lose to the Cards but I will say the Rams have a better chance of beating the Hawks then we do losing to the Cards.

Also, can't Seattle drop in the seeding if they lose? If so, then it is not meaningless for Seattle.

We're playing at the same time, so even if the game were meaningless in seeding to Seattle if we won, they wouldn't technically know until either we got up by a lot or the game was over. Regardless, only a win could help, a loss could hurt. So, yes, this game is meaningful to Seattle.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do you folks tolerate this wimpy little jerk on your board? We ran him off the SF Giants board ages ago.

He didn't fit on your board, he's been fine here. We know his chicken little attitude and we are aware of the accusations of prejudice that people have come on here to warn us about. He's been benign in that department here and actually contributes something substantively to this board. I understand that he didn't on the Giants board.

Knowing about him here on this board and only knowing this post from you, I'd just assume you were the one run off this board. Having said that, if you want to talk SF Niners football, you are welcome here. You see we've accepted him, his quirks and all, because he actually talks about the Niners, unlike this post quoted.

Honestly, people who come on here to complain about him or to bring their fights here are more annoying than anything he has said here, and believe me, some here have gotten tired of his pessimism.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we will beat Arizona and win our first playoff game - beyond that all bets are on the other guys.

I agree. I think they'll beat AZ and beat Minnesota in the first round. Still, I would not be completely shocked to see AZ beat them as erratic as they've been lately. I think reagrdless of what happens Sunday they'll play Minnesota because I don't think they can play Seattle in the first round, can they? (Same division)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're playing at the same time, so even if the game were meaningless in seeding to Seattle if we won, they wouldn't technically know until either we got up by a lot or the game was over. Regardless, only a win could help, a loss could hurt. So, yes, this game is meaningful to Seattle.

Seattle is currently seeded 5th - they are not competing with just us for seeding, and trust me they want every playoff game at home that they can get.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is currently seeded 5th - they are not competing with just us for seeding, and trust me they want every playoff game at home that they can get.

Yep, I don't understand why the game was being called meaningless for Seattle by the original poster.

HighTopFade

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tone setter? Never heard of that but I suppose it could happen - I would tend to think health and draft slot are more important than setting a tone. Also, can't Seattle drop in the seeding if they lose? If so, then it is not meaningless for Seattle.

That's what I'm thinking. A part of me believes teams out of contention wants to lose.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree. I think they'll beat AZ and beat Minnesota in the first round. Still, I would not be completely shocked to see AZ beat them as erratic as they've been lately. I think reagrdless of what happens Sunday they'll play Minnesota because I don't think they can play Seattle in the first round, can they? (Same division)

Sure we could play Seattle first round if it aligned as such. Right now we are 3rd seed which means we will play the 6th seed - Seattle is currently the 5th seed, thus, if we remain the 3rd seed and if Seattle could and did fall to 6th seed, then we would play them (at Candlestick) in the first round.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think the reason they are saying its meaningless is that if the 49ers win, the Seahawks can only be the 5th or 6th seed. So it doesn't matter to them since neither the 5th or 6th seed can play at home. I think their first round opponent is pretty much decided as well as I don't think they can play the 49ers in the first round since they are from the same division.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure we could play Seattle first round if it aligned as such. Right now we are 3rd seed which means we will play the 6th seed - Seattle is currently the 5th seed, thus, if we remain the 3rd seed and if Seattle could and did fall to 6th seed, then we would play them (at Candlestick) in the first round.

Even though we are in the same division? Maybe I'm thinking of baseball.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Then, by god, I hope the Seahawks win on Sunday. I do not want to play them again with the beatdown we just took so fresh in both teams' minds.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking. A part of me believes teams out of contention wants to lose.

Some do for a draft pick (see Indy 2011). Besides that scenario I think even teams out of contention do want to win but are not willing to risk an injury trying to do so unless there is a good reason.

Other teams have something unique to play for even though they are out of contention (see Detroit 2012). The entire Detroit team will be playing to get Calvin to 2000 yards and Stafford will throw a record setting number of passes at Calvin if that is what it takes. The defense of course will be playing to get the ball back to the offense.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the reason they are saying its meaningless is that if the 49ers win, the Seahawks can only be the 5th or 6th seed. So it doesn't matter to them since neither the 5th or 6th seed can play at home. I think their first round opponent is pretty much decided as well as I don't think they can play the 49ers in the first round since they are from the same division.

Ok, I assumed the comment that it was meaningless had something to do with the effort they were going to give or motivation (or focus). That's why I pointed out that they play at the same time, so they wouldn't know if it was meaningless. There's a small, small chance that the 5th and 6th seeds play in the NFCC, so I assume winning would give them advantage at getting a home game if that happened? In that scenario, the 5th seed is desired.

Ultimately, they can only win their game to help themselves out. They know that so they will be motivated either way.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I assumed the comment that it was meaningless had something to do with the effort they were going to give or motivation (or focus). That's why I pointed out that they play at the same time, so they wouldn't know if it was meaningless. There's a small, small chance that the 5th and 6th seeds play in the NFCC, so I assume winning would give them advantage at getting a home game if that happened? In that scenario, the 5th seed is desired.

Ultimately, they can only win their game to help themselves out. They know that so they will be motivated either way.

Bem corrected me. He said the 49ers and Seahawks can play in the first round if one is the 3rd seed and the other is the sixth. I thought they couldn't.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some do for a draft pick (see Indy 2011). Besides that scenario I think even teams out of contention do want to win but are not willing to risk an injury trying to do so unless there is a good reason.

Other teams have something unique to play for even though they are out of contention (see Detroit 2012). The entire Detroit team will be playing to get Calvin to 2000 yards and Stafford will throw a record setting number of passes at Calvin if that is what it takes. The defense of course will be playing to get the ball back to the offense.

Poor coach, because he helped their team get Luck and now is fired. I'm not saying he tried to lose, but whatever you were alluding to wasn't helping him but helped the Colts. I'm not saying that an owner would have a gentleman's agreement to lose but keep his job either. Having said that, 2-14 vs. 3-13 is not going to be the difference between keeping your job, but it could/was the difference between Luck and Griffin (or perhaps taking the risk with Manning?). The coach was going to be gone regardless, as they changed GMs, right?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bem corrected me. He said the 49ers and Seahawks can play in the first round if one is the 3rd seed and the other is the sixth. I thought they couldn't.

Ok, I was talking about Jikkle's comment, but I can see what you were saying (based on what you thought) and what you are saying now (that a Seattle win would be better for us, maybe).

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Then, by god, I hope the Seahawks win on Sunday. I do not want to play them again with the beatdown we just took so fresh in both teams' minds.

All things remaining the same the only level we can meet the Hawks is in the NFC Championship Game at Candlestick, and Seattle will have to beat both Washington & Atlanta (on the road) to get there with us.

Our road to the NFC Championship game (AT Equal) would begin with Minny at the stick (Memories of 1987 still haunting me) then onto GB in the tundra. Not entirely impossible.

If all seeding remained the same as it is now, the only playoff game Seattle can play at home would be vs. the 6th seed. So if both WC teams went to the NFC Championship Game, then as of right now Seattle would host that game.

Last edited by a moderator: